daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1821
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

國泰獲選為Conde Nast Traveller最佳商務航空公司

http://www.cntraveller.com/magaz ... t-business-airlines

When travelling on business, Cathay Pacific isyour airline of choice thanks to its lounge/pre-/post-flightfacilities and loyalty reward schemes(93.17) while runner-up BritishAirways soared ahead for convenience ofscheduling (94.71) andEmirates for value for money(84.51). The national airline of the UAE,Etihad Airways, was judged to be far superior tothe competition for ambience/decor(90.89)

Cathay Pacific’s overall score of 88.76 out of a maximum of 100 specifically highlights the positive customer reaction to the lounge, pre and post-flight facilities, as well as the highly successful Marco Polo Club passenger loyalty reward scheme which netted the airline an outstanding 93.17 marks.

General Manager Europe Angus Barclay said: “We are delighted to receive this award which acknowledges the level of facilities and customer service we seek to offer our passengers. It is a particular honour as it has been voted for by people who fly regularly. We always aim to provide our premium passengers with everything they require and to offer them a travel experience that exceeds all expectations. With the opening of our new lounge at Heathrow we are demonstrating our continued commitment to superior service."

The airline recently opened its new and improved departure lounges, for its First Class and Business Class passengers, at London Heathrow Airport.
The new lounges, developed in response to an increase in the number of premium travellers, opened on 23 July 2010. They provide passengers, departing from London Heathrow, with a convenient, luxurious place to relax, eat, drink and freshen up before boarding their Cathay Pacific flight.

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #1822
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

The brand new 747-8F with special livery

http://paineairport.com/kpae3133.htm

Last edited by Kaitak747; September 6th, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
Kaitak747 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1823
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
I bagged an upgrade to Business Class from JKF to HKG... so some food pr0n...

Cold starter of seared scallops:

Fillet steak:

Fruit & cheese:

Midnight snack of roast duck and noodles in soup:

Fresh fruit for morning starter:

Prawns with lobster sauce:

More cheese & mango cheesecake for desert:

But in all, even Singapore Airlines' Economy class meals on long-haul flights are just better done compared to Cathay... CX is just "okay" food (though still much better than the reheated dogfood you get on say, Lufthansa), but food on SQ is good enough for it to be restaurant food I'd pay for. CX, you need to up your game!
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #1824
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

Acquisitive Walsh has 12 airlines in his sights
BA boss ready to move after merger with Iberia

6 September 2010
The Times

Willie Walsh has identified 12 airlines as potential acquisition targets once he completes the merger of British Airways and Iberia this year.

The BA chief executive said that he had held discussions with executives of the Spanish flag carrier about future acquisitions, as he seeks to lead a wave of consolidation in the industry.

Mr Walsh refused to give details of his list and said that no discussions had been held with potential targets, but analysts speculated that he could be interested in carriers such as Qantas, Cathay Pacific, American, LAN and South African.

BA and Iberia are expected to complete their merger towards the end of this year after two years of negotiations.

The carriers will continue to operate under their existing brands but will be owned by a new holding company, based in London, called International Airlines Group.

Mr Walsh, who will step up to become chief executive of IAG, has said in the past that he expects the holding company to merge or acquire a rival within the first year of operation and will continue to seek further opportunities after that.

He said: "In our discussions with colleagues in Iberia we have looked at airlines around the world to identify those that would be attractive to IAG.

BA and Iberia believe in consolidation and, in creating IAG, we want to make sure it is scalable. We want it to have a structure that would make it attractive to other airlines that might want to join us.

"We started with a list of about 40 airlines that could be attractive to us and we narrowed it down to 12. The ambition of International Airlines Group is to consolidate this industry further and that is why we didn't call the combined company something like BA-Iberia."

Mr Walsh was speaking in Mumbai yesterday after the launch of BA's first new long-haul aircraft in 11 years. The Boeing 777-300ER is the first of about 36 jets that will join the airline's fleet over the next decade as it seeks to expand and compete with rapidly growing rivals on the Continent and in the Middle East.

While Mr Walsh was in India he also announced a code-sharing agreement with Kingfisher, the airline set up by the billionaire Vijay Mallya. Codesharing allows passengers to book onward flights to destinations served by the partner without buying a separate ticket or rechecking their baggage. Mr Walsh said that Kingfisher could be an attractive partner for IAG in the future but only if the Indian Government changed restrictions that keep foreign airlines from owning domestic carriers.

The BA chief also dismissed speculation that he had identified a target in Latin America. He said his immediate priority in the region was to ensure that after the merger of LAN, of Chile, and TAM, of Brazil, the combined airline remained in the oneworld alliance that BA leads. The alliance is a collection of carriers that jointly market their services and allow passengers to accumulate and spend shared air miles.

Industry experts believe that as governments reduce restrictions on ownership of airlines, the various alliances will coalesce into single global companies.

Mr Walsh said that his list of potential targets was drawn up based on criteria such as geography and included low-cost carriers. IAG is being structured so that it has systems such as IT that can be expanded as other airlines are "plugged in". He argued that greater consolidation would lead to a lower cost base that could result in lower fares for passengers.

Proposed changes to the visa system could put businessmen and tourists off visiting Britain and damage the country's economy, the BA chief warned (David Robertson writes). Willie Walsh said he had raised the airline's concerns with senior ministers, including Vince Cable.

He said that already visitors to Europe need an additional visa to enter the UK. In Europe, there is only one visa — the Schengen — to cover nearly all countries. Mr Walsh said that this meant anybody from China or India who wanted to visit Britain, France and Germany, for example, had to apply for two visas and many people were choosing to avoid the hassle and were not coming to the UK.

Applying for a UK visa can also be time consuming and expensive. The Schengen can be applied for online but the UK visa has to be applied for in person at an embassy or consulate.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #1825
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
But in all, even Singapore Airlines' Economy class meals on long-haul flights are just better done compared to Cathay... CX is just "okay" food (though still much better than the reheated dogfood you get on say, Lufthansa), but food on SQ is good enough for it to be restaurant food I'd pay for. CX, you need to up your game!
Although both SQ and CX flies out from JFK, but I bet they have somewhat different passenger base give the geographic location in Asia, and both of them are already on top of all other asian airlines in term of services (which also come the the high price-tag.) Therefore, neither of them put their best of the best on the JFK-routes.

I wonder what are the food like when you compare head to head route between HKG and SIN, or others more competitive routes.

Bottom line, flying a 16-hour long haul in the business class is way much better than in the economy! Especially when you are free upgraded.
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1826
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Although both SQ and CX flies out from JFK, but I bet they have somewhat different passenger base give the geographic location in Asia, and both of them are already on top of all other asian airlines in term of services (which also come the the high price-tag.) Therefore, neither of them put their best of the best on the JFK-routes.

I wonder what are the food like when you compare head to head route between HKG and SIN, or others more competitive routes.

Bottom line, flying a 16-hour long haul in the business class is way much better than in the economy! Especially when you are free upgraded.
Well, I just did a 6-hour J class trip a few days ago and I thought the flight was too short.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1827
Iggis
Frequent flyer

Likes (Received): 2399

Cathay Pacific celebrates inauguration of new service to Moscow – its 48th online passenger destination

Cathay Pacific Airways celebrated the inauguration of its thrice-weekly service to Moscow on 1 September with a gala celebration in the city of Moscow attended by 300 Hong Kong and Russia dignitaries, including government officials, aviation officials and business leaders.

The gala celebration was hosted by Cathay Pacific Chief Executive Tony Tyler with the Honourable Donald Tsang, Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, and Ivan Polyakov, Chairman of the Russia-Hong Kong Business Association, as guests of honour. Special guests at the event included a 30-member business delegation from Hong Kong led by Mr Tsang.

Speaking at the gala dinner, Donald Tsang said: “The timing of this launch of new direct flight services could hardly be better. The number of travellers in both directions increased significantly since the introduction of reciprocal visa-free travel arrangements between Russia and Hong Kong last year, our economy rebounded fairly strongly from the global financial crisis in the first half of this year, and bilateral trade between Hong Kong and Russia more than doubled in the first six months compared to last year.

“These new direct flights will give an additional lift to trade and tourism between Hong Kong and Russia and continue the momentum towards closer ties,” Mr Tsang added.

The airline’s Chief Executive, Tony Tyler, said: “We have long recognised the huge potential associated with Russia and have been looking for opportunities to enter the market for many years. I would like to express our appreciation of the tremendous work of the Hong Kong and Russian Governments in making our new service possible.”

Guests at the inaugural event enjoyed performances from Russian ballet dancers and musicians, and later watched Cathay Pacific’s signature “Walking on Air” stage show which showcases the airline’s history and its cabin crew uniforms through the years.

The Moscow service, which launched on 13 July, is the second new destination launched by the airline this year - a four-times-weekly service to Milan launched on 28 March and has been well-received by the market. Cathay Pacific now operates to 48 online passenger destinations in its global network.

Officiating guests toast the success of Cathay Pacific's three-times-weekly service between Hong Kong and Moscow at a gala celebration. From left: Tony Tyler, Cathay Pacific’s Chief Executive; the Honourable Donald Tsang, Chief Executive of the Hong Kong SAR; and Ivan Polyakov, Chairman of the Russia-Hong Kong Business Association.

Guests got a taste of Cathay Pacific’s rich history during the airline’s signature “Walking on Air” show performed by its own cabin crew.

http://www.cathaypacific.com

Such beautiful flight attendants CX has i should say!

Last edited by Iggis; September 7th, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Iggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #1828
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

According to the latest data of HK Tourism, the number of Russian Tourists was increased by more than 120% for the first 7 months this year. No wonder Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong Airlines and Transaero launched new flights between HK and Moscow.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1829
Iggis
Frequent flyer

Kaitak747, Transaero cancelled its winter flights, last flight will be on 13th of November. First they planned B767 for winter schedule instead of B777, but now cancelled. Of course TSO product is not as good as CX, but still i regret that popularity of these flights was too low, because actually they suggested unique thing specially for HKG route, anyone could buy business class ticket and use "Imperial" First class for these money, if you buy premium economy you could get real business class for only 930 USD round trip! I even planned to buy it, but soon they will leave HKG market.

And i am really glad that russian tourists visit HKG more and more! I did myself last autumn, this year i am gonna be back again i hope
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1830
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggis View Post
Kaitak747, Transaero cancelled its winter flights, last flight will be on 13th of November. First they planned B767 for winter schedule instead of B777, but now cancelled. Of course TSO product is not as good as CX, but still i regret that popularity of these flights was too low, because actually they suggested unique thing specially for HKG route, anyone could buy business class ticket and use "Imperial" First class for these money, if you buy premium economy you could get real business class for only 930 USD round trip! I even planned to buy it, but soon they will leave HKG market.

And i am really glad that russian tourists visit HKG more and more! I did myself last autumn, this year i am gonna be back again i hope

Oh so sad to hear that Transaero is leaving the market soon, I hope the remaining carriers (Cathay Pacific, Aeroflot and Hong Kong Airlines) can make their flights commercially viable. Given that there will be more Russian companies to be listed in HK, I reckon the number of Russian visitors will record its all time high this year, hope all the carriers are able to survive in this route.
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1831
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:

Are they running a seasonal service? Seems they're stopping the route for the second time now.

Old September 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #1832
Iggis
Frequent flyer

This route was announced as all-year-round regular, just they couldnt hold a competition among other carriers, planes were loaded very low. Well, its a market, strongest will survive. But i know that their new Beijing service became very popular immideately during first month, they even added 3d weekly instead of 2. They use 747-400 on that route.

And yes you were right, 2 years ago they started flights to Sydney via HKG, also very low loading, so they have cancelled. I just think now people preferred better service for almost same money, you cant compare CX or Aeroflot with Transaero, although they provided better service on HKG route, they tried to establish itself on this route. Maybe someday they will appear again.
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1833
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:
This route was announced as all-year-round regular, just they couldnt hold a competition among other carriers, planes were loaded very low. Well, its a market, strongest will survive. But i know that their new Beijing service became very popular immideately during first month, they even added 3d weekly instead of 2. They use 747-400 on that route.

And yes you were right, 2 years ago they started flights to Sydney via HKG, also very low loading, so they have cancelled. I just think now people preferred better service for almost same money, you cant compare CX or Aeroflot with Transaero, although they provided better service on HKG route, they tried to establish itself on this route. Maybe someday they will appear again.

Oic it seems that Beijing is getting more popular to Russian..........btw is there any other competitors other than Aeroflot in Beijing route?

As for Moscow - Hong Kong route, Aeroflot has been in operation for more than 15 years, with 3 new carriers (CX, HK Airlines, Transaero) launching or resuming the services this year. Obviously, the market can't "digest" the sudden growth in one go .
Old September 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #1834
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

The new Cargo Terminal of CX

September 01, 2010

Cathay Pacific Airways today staged an event at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) to highlight the state-of-the-art features of the new Cathay Pacific Cargo Terminal. With a development cost of approximately HK$5.5 billion, the facility marks a significant investment in Hong Kong and underlines the airline's continued commitment to developing the city's position as a global aviation and airfreight hub.

CX Mobile for iPad Demo Video

August 23, 2010

We're always looking for innovative ways to make your journeys easier and more enjoyable -- which is why we created CX Mobile for a variety of mobile devices.

On the iPhone and iPad, it lets you check in, get flight schedules, check flight status, and manage your bookings -- and with the iPad app, you can even book flights.

CX Mobile also features City Guides -- essential tips, insights and information on some 70 of our most popular destinations. And Meet The Team -- interviews with nearly 100 Cathay Pacific staff who serve.

CX Mobile for iPad is free and you can find out more at www.cathaypacific.com/CXMobile

Old September 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1835
Iggis
Frequent flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitak747 View Post
btw is there any other competitors other than Aeroflot in Beijing route?
Moscow - Beijing route is also served by Air China DAILY and Hainan Airlines 3 TIMES WEEKLY.
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1836
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Cathay Pacific releases combined traffic figures for August 2010 10 September 2010

Cathay Pacific Airways today released combined Cathay Pacific and Dragonair traffic figures for August 2010 which followed the general trend of the year to date by showing increases in both the number of passengers and amount of cargo and mail carried compared to the same month in 2009.

The two airlines carried a total of 2,423,444 passengers in August – up 9.7% on the same month last year. The passenger load factor was 84.4%, a rise of 0.3 percentage points, while capacity for the month, measured in available seat kilometres (ASKs), was up by 7.1%. For the year to date, the number of passengers carried is up 10.1% compared to an ASK rise of 1.9%.

On the freight side, Cathay Pacific and Dragonair carried 149,009 tonnes of cargo and mail last month, up 13.1% on August last year. The cargo and mail load factor was 72.7%, a rise of 0.7 percentage points, while capacity, measured in available cargo/mail tonne kilometres, was up by 24.5%. For the year to date, tonnage has grown by 22.0% compared to a capacity increase of 11.1%.

Cathay Pacific General Manager Revenue Management Tom Owen said: "Traffic in our Economy cabins remained strong throughout August, with very robust demand out of our home market – particularly on long-haul routes and to holiday destinations in Southeast and Northeast Asia. The China market again was solid, both on our trunk routes to Beijing and Shanghai as well as to secondary cities, with a good performance in the premium cabins. Overall, though, our premium revenue and volumes remained below pre-downturn levels and we wait to see the extent of the pick-up in the traditional peak season for business travel in the last quarter.”

Cathay Pacific General Manager Cargo Sales & Marketing James Woodrow said: "Our cargo traffic in August was not quite as strong as the previous month in terms of volume, and our tonnage growth was some way behind capacity growth. However, business was still solid for what is traditionally a quiet month for airfreight, and yields in the market remained buoyant. We are now preparing for an expected pick-up in the last quarter by strengthening some of our scheduled freighter frequencies on Transpacific and European routes.”
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1837
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By Star Alliance from HKADB :

Old September 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1838
FlagshipV
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/...c1c71480_b.jpg
FlagshipV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1839
ddes

Likes (Received): 938

Congratulations to CX for firming your order for 30 A350s.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #1840
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Cathay Pacific inks deal with Airbus for airline’s biggest-ever aircraft order

16 September 2010

Cathay Pacific Airways today concluded the purchase agreement with aircraft manufacturer Airbus for the delivery of 30 new A350-900 aircraft, representing the airline’s biggest-ever single aircraft purchase. The new acquisitions are valued at HK$60.84 billion at list price. Deliveries will begin in 2016 and are scheduled to stretch over a three year period.

Cathay Pacific Chief Executive Tony Tyler joined Airbus Chief Operating Officer, Customers, John Leahy to finalise the purchase agreement at a signing ceremony today.

Mr Tyler said: "I am delighted that we have now finalised this milestone deal for Cathay Pacific. The purchase of these new generation aircraft is an important step in our plan to grow our fleet to ensure that we stay at the forefront of the industry. The A350 fits perfectly into our operation. Its passenger capacity, flight range and operating economics are just right to become the backbone of our mid-sized long haul wide-bodied fleet."

The all-new A350-900 XWB ("Extra Wide Body") will replenish and expand the fleet of Cathay Pacific, serving principally long-haul destinations in Europe. The aircraft will be powered by two new-generation Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engines and is expected to deliver improved payload range capability at competitive costs, at the same time providing high standards of passenger comfort and safety.

Featuring an all-new design, the A350 aircraft will represent a step change in operational efficiency, burning significantly less fuel than existing aircraft of a similar size and offering a corresponding reduction in carbon emissions.

Commenting on the Cathay Pacific order, Mr Leahy said: “We are extremely pleased to have finalised this order with one of the world's most prestigious and well-managed airlines. The selection of the A350 XWB by Cathay Pacific is a clear endorsement of the aircraft’s compelling advantages, with lower fuel-burn, reduced operating costs and a wider, more comfortable cabin. We look forward to the aircraft playing a key role in enabling Cathay Pacific to remain at the forefront of the industry with one of the cleanest and most modern fleets in the world."

Cathay Pacific currently operates a fleet of 128 wide-body aircraft and with the Airbus A350 now has a total of 60 aircraft on firm order. Last month the airline also expressed its intention to exercise existing purchase rights for six more Boeing 777-300ER ultra-long-haul aircraft, which would take its total order for the type to 36.

The investment in the new A350 aircraft is in addition to significant investments Cathay Pacific has already committed to make between now and 2013 including aircraft already on firm order, the new cargo terminal at Hong Kong International Airport and enhanced products in the cabin and on the ground.

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld