daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #361
Tricky

Likes (Received): 150

Great projects for LA. I guess anything that makes this city more liveable is welcome. What this city lacks is a bit of a 'European' touch to it, where the car is NOT king, and where even after dark the CBD doesn't turn into a ghost town or no-go area....

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #362
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

^ LA doesn't want to be a European city. Our freeways are too wide lol. How is LA not liveable?

Why do you think LA Live (under construction) and Grand Ave as well as building conversions, and new construction is taking place? To turn the CBD into a 24 hour spot. The change is already noticeable as there is traffic at 11 pm on some nights downtown. And the Lakers aren't even playing.
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #363
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

DT LA is going on a radical transformation Rather than having a mega boom with tons of new high rises, it is focusing of rehabiting it's older more majestic buildings, and filling up the other ones. Grand Av will become LA's 5th Av, and Figueroa LA's 42nd steet, just wait and see!
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #364
soup or man
Avant Garde

Wow..a post where you didn't rape the spelling of a word.

Keep it up.

Old August 29th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #365
Very Controversial
Support The Environment

Likes (Received): 4

LA is an awesome city.
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #366
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

For those who haven't heard already, Zen at Third and Hill in DTLA will break ground in early 2007!
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #367
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Photo Update - September 3, 2006

What's up with this thread falling to the second page? Time for a photo update. Lots of ground to cover. 56K people, this may take some time to load.

Colburn Expansion

Exterior's getting closer, but still more work to do. Looking up from 2nd Street.

Looking south from Disney Hall. It integrates well with the rest of the Colburn School. Note the glass on the right side of the tower that matches the glass on the original school building.

SBC Center

The painting or replacing of the black fins to silver fins seems complete. Not sure what they're gonna do next. But they better watch out for that Evo crane before it steals something...

Evo

Rising out of the ground. Should get interesting from here on out, though the podium will probably rise slowly. It has very large floorplates.

Luma

Rising quickly. They're working on the 13th floor (or 14th, as they will probably call it). So 5 more floors until it tops out. From 11th and Hope.

From 12th St. Starting to make a nice pair with Elleven.

First glass is installed on the southwest corner.

LA Live

Lots of progress. A quick and dirty pano with a not-so-ideal angle of the sun. Bonus to those of you who can spot the "stair-stepped" port-o-potties.

The northeast corner (at Fig and Olympic) has reached ground level.

Interesting side note: when I was out there taking shots of LA Live, there was another guy taking construction shots who lived in the area, but wasn't a member of SSC. Nice guy. Seems we're not the only people interested in DT LA construction.

Hanover Tower

Looks like the first residential or maybe an amenities level. It's much taller than the parking levels below it. So we may be done with the "podium" of this one. From Olympic and Figueroa.

Peaking into the skyline from 11th St., overlooking Liberty Grill.

Concerto

Still just a hole in the ground, though it seems deeper than last time. Pictures don't really do it justice. That hole is freakin' deep.

Market Lofts

Lots of visible progress - the corner window frames are up to the 5th floor, and you can see they're applying what looks like a primer coat. Something tells me that's not the final color. The west side:

The east side, where they appear to be testing some greenish paint colors.

Pan American Lofts

I drive by this building every day to and from work, so I thought I'd post some pics of it. They've made more progress in the last two months than in the last year. I wouldn't be surprised if people start moving in before the end of the year.

New sign, and they've finished the back and side of the building.

Victor Clothing Lofts

I can't tell if this is residential conversion or commercial retrofitting, but there's tons of activity here. Plus the sun looked ******* cool shooting through the back of the building.

Bonus Shots

I took a loooong walk today - from 1st and Grand all the way to 12th and Grand, then back up to the City Center Metro station. So I got lots of bonus shots. First up, a little bit of history still stands. The original Clifton's Cafeteria sign, as seen from Grand Ave.

How NIMBY's are born. Salespeople integrate the whole "view" concept into the core of their marketing schemes.

Refacing of the south side of the Hope Street garage, presumably in advance of the sixth South Group tower (forgot the name).

New retail on Broadway right next to the McDonalds in between 3rd and 4th. For those of you who aren't familiar with Taco Time, it's a fast food chain similar to Del Taco that's much bigger in the northwest (Oregon and Washington).

Finally, the Redwood Bar on 2nd Street, right next to the Kawada Hotel, is now open. Lushes rejoice!

colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #368
soup or man
Avant Garde

Thanks for the needed update. Btw..the Concerto pic doesn't show.
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #369
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Thanks for the update! I love how they're putting back the base of the building along with hopefully extending the columns down too. I hope this will be done to the many other buildings where they ripped out some of the facade to accomodate the wholesale retail. This really gives it a much classier look as opposed to the cheap flea-market look it once had.

Old September 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #370
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

I don't know if it's me, but Luma is coasting through construction like a cruise in the beach. What's the name for the 6th South Group tower? Thanx for the update
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #371
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

yay!!! a photo update!!! i love it. hiza for los angeles

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #372
raymond3000
Citywatch #2 lol j/k

Likes (Received): 7

yea good job Colemoney!! maybe next time u can shot some photos of Eastern Columbia lofts, Mandel and Brockman lofts (if there is any visible progress), as well. Also I thought Hanover Tower was going to have a curved corner on the corner of olympic/figueroa for the billboards wat happend its seems to regular straightlined instead? Thanks Again, happy labor day to all da forum members.

Last edited by raymond3000; September 5th, 2006 at 07:20 AM.
raymond3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #373
raymond3000
Citywatch #2 lol j/k

Likes (Received): 7

double post

Last edited by raymond3000; September 5th, 2006 at 07:24 AM.
raymond3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #374
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond3000
yea good job Colemoney!! maybe next time u can shot some photos of Eastern Columbia lofts, Mandel and Brockman lofts (if there is any visible progress), as well. Also I thought Hanover Tower was going to have a curved corner on the corner of olympic/figueroa for the billboards wat happend its seems to regular straightlined instead? Thanks Again, happy labor day to all da forum members.
I walked right by the Mandel and Brockman lofts during my photo session and there really wasn't any visible progress (and I looked pretty close). Brockman is still wrapped on the front side, and there wasn't much going on inside to merit a picture.

Eastern Columbian also looks very much the same, though it is much, much further along. The only change I noticed was that they appeared to be reinstalling pieces of the clock, but as it's still obscured by scaffolding, a picture wouldn't have looked much different. Once they remove that scaffolding, I'll get you guys a pic.

The latest renders of Hanover show a slightly curved screen around the parking base at the corner of Olympic and Fig, but the rest of that corner (above and below) has a 90 degree angle. Since the curve only goes for a few stories, it doesn't necessarily have to be expressed in the structure - they can probably just fasten the curved screen to the facade.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #375
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

great job Colemonkey. here's a video from the W Hotel and Condos, its basically a virtual tour of what the building will be like, pretty cool. (takes a little time to download)

http://r.vresp.com/?ThePointGroup/e5...31a5f8/f9050d3
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #376
sd25

Likes (Received): 0

NOOBIE ?

hey guys i just found this site and it seems VERY interesting. This is a stupid question, but why does L.A. lack high rise buildings since it is one of the largest cities in the country? Earthquakes?
sd25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #377
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

we like to spread out more then buildup. but those days are over

hiza!!

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #378
Joey313
JOEY

Likes (Received): 12

A new study that will probably reinvigorate a decades-old debate about mass transit in Los Angeles concludes that bringing back streetcars to downtown would spur more development and attract riders. It also contends that trolleys could peaceably share the road with cars.

The report, expected to be released this week by the Community Redevelopment Agency, also makes another point: Reintroduced trolleys have met with success in many other cities, and there's no reason they can't in Los Angeles.

In other cities, "the streetcars have inspired and promoted economic revival, they have encouraged and attracted tourism, and they have supplemented the existing, everyday public transit services already in operation," concludes the study, which was written by several transportation consultants.

"This isn't just a cute little tourist attraction," said Carol Schatz, president and chief executive of the influential Central City Assn., which represents downtown businesses. "We need a sophisticated and fun circulator that ties together all the vibrant districts that are spread around downtown."

While downtown is still heavily dotted with parking lots, a mini-construction boom is underway as new buildings are built and old offices are converted to residences. At least 7,600 residential units are in the development pipeline, the new L.A. Live entertainment complex is rising next to Staples Center and planning is underway for a Grand Avenue redevelopment project.

The study proposes connecting the southern and northern parts of downtown. Trolleys would run on tracks down the middle or the side of streets amid car traffic, and the streetcars would be powered by electricity from overhead wires.

There are hurdles, the most notable of which is the cost — $60 million to $73 million.

There is also the matter of political will in City Hall, which oversees a metropolis where streetcars were removed, albeit four decades ago, to clear the way for more automobiles. Although the idea of bringing back streetcars has been around for years, this particular proposal comes not from transit organizations but from the redevelopment agency, which is tasked with reinvigorating downtown, among other areas. And it was Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-Los Angeles), not city officials, who corralled the $100,000 for the report.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's office declined to comment on the study or the idea of returning trolleys to the streets. The mayor has been pushing for a larger light-rail line that might run on surface streets and would traverse downtown to connect the existing Long Beach and Pasadena light-rail routes to future lines to the Westside and East Los Angeles.

Streetcars hold a special place in the history of Los Angeles. The streetcar system in Southern California, which blossomed in the late 1800s, once had over 1,000 miles of track, with Los Angeles at the center. But civic leaders preferred buses, and streetcars had difficulty competing with the door-to-door convenience of automobiles in a growing and sprawling region.

After the final five lines were shut down on March 31, 1963, most of the rolling stock was sold to the transit system in the Egyptian capital of Cairo, and the Los Angeles Convention Center eventually occupied the site of the city's old trolley yards.

But why spend millions for a trolley system when the city already has a fleet of DASH buses circulating downtown? The buses, after all, don't require tracks or power lines and offer more route flexibility.

Streetcar advocates argue that people who don't like riding buses are more willing to ride aesthetically pleasing streetcars, which are usually quieter and don't weave in and out of traffic. They also believe that streetcars, like other fixed-route lines, lure development.

"There's something about the reliability and obviousness of a rail line that trumps the bus every time," said Gloria Ohland, a vice president with Reconnecting America, a group dedicated to building housing near rail stations. "And obviously it works for developers because they see rail lines in the street and they know the public sector has made a commitment to that neighborhood."

Streetcars have become something of a rage in urban planning circles. Seattle; Memphis, Tenn.; Little Rock, Ark.; Charlotte, N.C.; Dallas and Portland, Ore., have brought back trolleys in recent years and Atlanta is seriously considering doing so. Closer to home, the Port of Los Angeles opened a 1.5-mile trolley line in 2003 as a tourist attraction.

Perhaps the most talked about is in Portland, where a six-mile trolley line traverses a neighborhood known as the Pearl that until the 1990s was rail yards. After it was rezoned to allow for housing to be built, the area has thrived with new lofts and businesses. The addition of the trolley, in 2001, helped, advocates say.

"Since 1997, when the city committed to build the trolley, until today, there has been $2.3-billion worth of investment near the trolley, 7,248 residential units have been built and another 4.6 million feet of commercial space," said Vicky Diede, the project manager for Portland Streetcar.

Diede said that the most impressive statistic for her agency is that prior to the streetcar project, most of the development near the future line was built at half the allowable density. Since the project, she said, new buildings within one block of the line are at 90% of the potential density — meaning that the real estate has become much more desirable.

In Los Angeles, the new study is only a beginning, and the CRA has not yet taken a position. If there's a push to go forward, another study will be needed to work out some of the more technical aspects and to settle on a route.

Schatz said that although downtown businesses would probably be willing to shoulder some of the financial load, the city probably would need to come up with at least $40 million at a time when federal funding for trolleys is in short supply.

"I don't think it's a pipe dream," said Councilwoman Jan Perry, whose district includes much of downtown. "When you look at all the new buildings coming on line here, I think that anything that could serve residents and tourists, and reduces the number of car trips, can't just be rejected."

Waiting for some type of resolution are people such as Jim Walker, who in the final days of the streetcar system in Los Angeles spent some of his free time photographing the trolleys as they scooted about town.

After the last train rolled, he avoided downtown. "I just closed the door because I didn't want to see the destruction," said Walker, 70, who is now the historian for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

"I didn't think they would ever come back," Walker added. "But a lot of things happened since then that I never thought would, and I guess I still have some faith."
Joey313 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #379
soup or man
Avant Garde

I don't think it's been talked about here, but 1100 Wilshire looks pretty cool at night. It has a bunch of white lights along the side. (Look towards the center of the pic)

Pic taken by k3d on SSP:
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #380
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

It's nice to finally see life in that building. What's the vacancy rate of 1100 Wilshire?