daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #441
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife

Eh, Chicago doesn't have too many skyscrapers with classic architecture, a few here and there. The bulk of Chicago's skyline is made up of buildings with a post-modern design to it. And it isn't a gleaming American city at present?
You are so wrong on this one. Sarcasm?

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #442
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
You are so wrong on this one. Sarcasm?
i would hope so. i know he knows better.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #443
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

No, I WAS NOT KIDDING. I apologize if you thought that I was stating that Chicago doesn't have much classic architecture. It's just, everytime I see a pic of the skyline, the classic buildings are covered by the postmodern ones. And it doesn't have skyscrapers like the ESB and the Chrysler that's an actual tower. They have the Chicago Board of Trade, but that's not a tower.
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #444
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

And everytime I see a NYC skyline pic, I see the classic, grand apartment buildings of uptown in contrast with a very green Central Park. When you look at any NYC skyline pic, you see a lot of brown. Here is a pic of Chicago:

While there is the famous "wall" of classic buildings along Michigan, the postmodern skyscrapers cover up the classic buildings. But Chicago DOES have MANY classic buildings.
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #445
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Too bad all you have to go on is a picture. Try getting over to Chicago ( It will knock you on your tushy) 35 east wacker, carbide and carbon, tribune, wrigely, intercontinental, board of trade, palmolive, civic opera building, navarre... so on and so on... there are soooo many art deco and classic skyscrapers the beauty of Chicago is that you gotta look for them. They are there in all their glory. The best thing about citys like chicago is they have all styles of skyscrapers. The Art Deco covers up the original chicago school architecture, the modern and brutalist towers cover up the art deco, the pomo covers up the modern towers, and now futuristic styles will cover those up. Not the thread for this but don't go saying there's only a few when there is plenty and even more so plentttty more than you've got. I'm not trying to argue, you're cool and I'd rather get along but such statements need to be corrected.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #446
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Yes, I do admit that I was wrong when I said, "here and there". But like I said, I don't think they have anything like the ESB, Chrysler, or Woolworth that's more tower-like. They have a plethora of mid-rises, that's for sure. But I've mostly seen classic buildings like the Tribue, Wrigley, Jewelers, Board of Trade, etc. in the Loop. Chicago IMO has the best variety of architecture but IMO, NYC has by far the best collection of classic architecture. There are so many regal buildings throughout Manhattan and I always love pictures showing the Upper East/West apartment buildings fronting Central Park.
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #447
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Errror...... Sorry Mr Maneater! Down below!
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #448
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

^ Do you know how to quote people?
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #449
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

[QUOTE=colemonkee;10199443]Wow, this thread fell to the second page. You know what that means...

Time for a photo update

Hanover Tower

The usual angle. The residential floors look a bit short to be a Storm Trooper. Or "luxury".

I noticed that there's two levels higher than the rest of the floors. Is that where the wrap around billboard is going to be set?
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #450
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

If not there then on some of the lower floors seeing as how the first 7 floors are for parking. I hope they're electric.
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:02 AM   #451
LosAngelesSportsFan

some of us have discussed this for the 101 and the 110 in Downtown, so i thought this would be relevent here. Fantastic news if approved, and hopefully it will be implemented in DT LA as well...

Park Proposed Atop Freeway

By DANIEL MILLER
Los Angeles Business Journal Staff

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce is proposing the creation of a 24-acre park that would be built on a concrete cap atop the Hollywood Freeway – at a cost of several hundred million dollars.

The planned Hollywood Central Park, which boosters will announce this week, would be a grassy and tree-lined expanse over freeway traffic. The freeway essentially would be a tunnel for about two thirds of a mile under the park.

The chamber has worked behind the scenes for months to build support for the project, which it contends is critical for the development of Hollywood. Supporters include some local developers, neighborhood councils, elected officials and, most importantly, Caltrans – since the park would be built above state-owned land in state airspace.

“It is an easy decision. This is available air space put to good use for the public,” said Deborah Harris, spokeswoman for the California Department of Transportation. “If it can be used for the betterment of the community, we are all for it. Of course there are several details that have to be worked out. We look forward to looking further into this proposal.”

The park – which would stretch from around Hollywood to Sunset boulevards between North Bronson Avenue and North Wilton Place – will face its first test on Thursday when the board of the Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency will decide whether to pay for a feasibility study.

If approved, the study would be done by engineering and planning firm Parsons Brinckerhoff Inc. with a targeted completion date of January. In addition to CRA money, the chamber is seeking money for the study from private donations.

Chamber officials said the park is a critical element for Hollywood to continue to thrive, given a severe lack of green space that makes the neighborhood less attractive for residents and businesses.

“We wanted to make sure … that the local economy and community is sustained, so we can build the community and have sustained growth,” said Rochelle Silsbee, vice president of public policy for the chamber. “It is primarily about protecting area livability.”

It is not clear who would own the park, though backers have not ruled out joint ownership by different entities.

Park deficient

Hollywood has a real need for open space, according to a report by the chamber.

The report indicates that in Los Angeles there are about 0.012 acres of open space per resident, and in Hollywood, the figure drops to 0.005 acres.Also, a 2003 study by the Trust for Public Land found that two-thirds of Los Angeles children do not live by a park, while 91 percent of New York City children live within walking distance of one.

“We believe there is a severe park shortage here,” Silsbee said.

And that will only get worse, given that about 4,500 residential units are either approved or under construction near the park site, according to the report.

At its narrowest point, the proposed park would be as wide as a football field.

About 50 such “freeway cap parks” are in various stages of development around the country, including in Sacramento, Phoenix and Portland, Ore., according to the chamber. Locally, there is a small freeway cap park in La Cañada Flintridge above the Foothill (210) Freeway, just east of the Glendale (2) Freeway interchange.

And in Hollywood, land is more expensive than in many other cities. So while the park would be expensive, it still would be cheaper than acquiring 24 contiguous acres by traditional means, said Don Scott, a Hollywood Chamber of Commerce board member who first proposed the park.

Vacant land in Hollywood near the freeway costs between $200 and $400 per square foot, while the freeway park in Portland is being built on land that costs $200 per square foot, Scott said. Even so, the park could cost well over $200 million.

“It’s a big number, but we feel it’s achievable through federal, state, and local funds,” he said.

Local U.S. Reps. Xavier Becerra and Diane Watson have said that next year they will work to appropriate federal money for the project, according to Silsbee. The project planners are also eyeing the infrastructure bond on the Nov. 7 state ballot as a possible source of funding, should it pass.

A spokesman for Becerra said the congressman supports the project, while Watson could not be reached for comment. Still, the cost of the park could pose an impediment.

“It’s a wonderful idea. But you drive down the road and there are potholes everywhere, so I don’t know how they are going to build a cap on the 101,” said John Tronson, a principal in the Hollywood office of Ramsey-Shilling Commercial Real Estate Services. “While I think it’s a noble cause, I do have reservations about how much time people should spend on it until we can pay for it.”

Wired on coffeePossible plans for the park include an amphitheatre, sports fields, and a European-style square. Plans for the park call for it not to eliminate on- or off-ramps to the freeway below.

“Our interest is in maintaining the lanes as they exist today as well as available space for future use,” said Harris, Caltrans spokesperson for District 7, which covers Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

Area schools and children would stand to benefit greatly from the park. At least three schools are in close proximity to the park, including Central Los Angeles High School, which is under construction. The proposed park also would be near two Metropolitan Transit Authority subway stations.

The park is the brainchild of Scott, who conceived it while driving on the Hollywood Freeway.

“I tell everyone I drank too much coffee that day,” said Scott, senior vice president at First Financial Bancorp. “But I was driving over the freeway and I heard something on the radio about the Big Dig in Boston. A light bulb went off.”

Scott concedes that the Big Dig – which involved sinking a 3.5 mile stretch of Interstate 93 in central Boston at a cost of nearly $15 billion – may be a controversial analogy. The East Coast project includes park land over the sunken highway, but has taken decades to build, experienced large cost overruns and recently a portion of the tunnel’s ceiling fell, killing a motorist.

By contrast the Hollywood park project involves building a concrete cap over an existing freeway, not sinking what was an elevated highway into a newly dug tunnel.

And what about calling it the Hollywood Central Park?

While the name may hark to the prominent park in New York, it also has some local meaning. The chamber says that the park is located at the nexus of central and east Hollywood.

For now the Hollywood Central Park is only an interim name, but supporters say they think it could stick – provided it is built in the first place.
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:29 AM   #452
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

I don't know about this one? Maybe I have to actually see it to have a change of heart*
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:32 AM   #453
LosAngelesSportsFan

how could you not be for this? replacing a dead space freeway with a park that will encourage dense mixed use development and provide community space and green the area as well as help the enviorment, i dont see one negative with this idea.
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM   #454
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
how could you not be for this? replacing a dead space freeway with a park that will encourage dense mixed use development and provide community space and green the area as well as help the enviorment, i dont see one negative with this idea.
There is already dense mixed use development coming to Hollywood...thing is, people will be living in them, and children will be growing up in them and they need places to play and run free. This is one of the solutions for Hollywood.

Density WILL NOT WORK without adequate infrastructure (transportation, ultilities (sewer, water main, electric, gas)) and recreational/open space.
Old October 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM   #455
LosAngelesSportsFan

your preaching to the choir. i agree with you totally.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:59 AM   #456
BillyBTall

Likes (Received): 0

Could you imagine all the hurdles this would have to clear before it could become a reality. It will take 10 years at the very least to build this thing.
BillyBTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:00 AM   #457
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

What about the ticket price to build something this massive. Most importantly where are funds coming from, Public Transit?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:02 AM   #458
raymond3000
Citywatch #2 lol j/k

Likes (Received): 7

***GOOD NEWS*** I was walking down 9th street on lunch break today and saw that the parking lot adjacent to the Market Lofts on the west is closed off with no cars or ticket booth just cones and markings on the asphalt soo I guess Muruelo is going thru with his condominium development I asked a guy who use to park there and he told me that they had closed it indefinitely and he just mentioned something about a tower being built there so we will see wat happens.
raymond3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM   #459
scraperboy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Yes, I do admit that I was wrong when I said, "here and there". But like I said, I don't think they have anything like the ESB, Chrysler, or Woolworth that's more tower-like. They have a plethora of mid-rises, that's for sure. But I've mostly seen classic buildings like the Tribue, Wrigley, Jewelers, Board of Trade, etc. in the Loop. Chicago IMO has the best variety of architecture but IMO, NYC has by far the best collection of classic architecture. There are so many regal buildings throughout Manhattan and I always love pictures showing the Upper East/West apartment buildings fronting Central Park.
That comment seems ill informed. How about taking a trip to Chicago? You will be blown away with the wall of skyscrapers on SEVERAL streets, inluding those several miles from downtown--both north and south of the Loop.

I can think of a dozen art deco beauties in the 30+ story range off the top of my head. The Board of Trade building is the tallest art deco tower in the world outside of NYC.

Sure, Chicago is no NYC. But then again, LA can't touch Chicago when it comes to skyscrapers (and urbanity IMO).

Chicago just has so many skyscrapers that you can't even see a fraction of them in any one pic, just like NYC.
scraperboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM   #460
LosAngelesSportsFan

alrighty!! great news!