daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #101
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Picture Update - Sat, May 27th, 2006

Happy Memorial Day weekend! Today was the perfect day to go visit some sales centers and take some pictures. Enjoy!

South - Evo

I'll start at the sales center with some pics of the neighborhood model that shows all three towers. Note that Glass Tower is part of the model. This mostly likely means that the South Group believes it may get built, so they're selling "views" with it in place.

Okay, on to actual construction pics. The site looks similar, but a lot of progress has been made. There are a lot more caissons in place, though it looks like they still have a lot more to go. From 12th and Grand:

From the other corner along 12th. Notice the pre-cast concrete columns. This must be part of the "top-down" construction method. I've never seen pre-cast structural elements like this before.

Staring down the barrel of a caisson rebar cage.

South - Luma

Moving right along...

Looks like they're setting up the 7th floor plate. Note the "4" circled in red:

It's already poking into the skyline from the south. Taken from 12th street.

LA Live

Lots of progress here since the last picture update. This was the only site where work was going on today, and it was busy. The south side from Figueroa, with the Nokia Theater in the background. Note the first floor of parking has been started.

A close up of the same area looking south across the site from Olympic.

Northeast corner. Two weeks ago there were only 3 or 4 of columns in this area.

The hotel will go in that corner, which is now almost all the way dug out. Hopefully they perform foundation work for the tower as part of Phase 1.

Hanover Tower

Still the same height as two weeks ago, but they're starting to form the second floor plate. Should start rising pretty quickly from this point out.

Concerto

Now there's three pieces of equipment on the site. Look for this to start soon.

Ralph's - Market Lofts

Now that the Concerto site is fenced off, the old picture spot is gone, unless you want to risk standing in oncoming traffic. Note the first bit of formwork already going up for the sixth floor wall.

Eastern Columbian Lofts

They painted the back and side of the building to match the aqua-green terra cotta facade. Looks sooooo much better.

Brockman

Not much visual progress.

Colburn Expansion

Cladding up halfway on the north side.

That's all for now, folks.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #102
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

The Glass Tower looks like a giant next to the South's project. LA Live should be called LA Fly, it is moving so fast.
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #103
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
Happy Memorial Day weekend! Today was the perfect day to go visit some sales centers and take some pictures. Enjoy!

That's all for now, folks.
fantastic update... la live is flyin!

i have not been down sunset in a while hows the central la high school, have they started work on the other school lot by 1o1 and sunset?

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #104
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Great update btw. Also, is Medallion under construction now because it says so at SSP.
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #105
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Those earthmovers are hungry. Feed them.
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #106
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
Great update btw. Also, is Medallion under construction now because it says so at SSP.
I really can't figure out where you heard that, but the Medallion is not under construction, and won't be for quite some time. The project is on hold due to construction prices, and will either be redesigned to be much smaller, sold to another developer, or cancelled altogether. Hopefully it's sold to a developer with bigger pockets who can get it going.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #107
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
I really can't figure out where you heard that, but the Medallion is not under construction, and won't be for quite some time. The project is on hold due to construction prices, and will either be redesigned to be much smaller, sold to another developer, or cancelled altogether. Hopefully it's sold to a developer with bigger pockets who can get it going.
Maybe it said so because it was scheduled to break ground in 2006. Yeah, that's probably it.
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #108
forvine

Likes (Received): 3

The future certainly looks bright
forvine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #109
RBR

Likes (Received): 0

I wonder what they are planning for the land in front of luma and evo? south group I mean.
RBR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:04 AM   #110
soup or man
Avant Garde

Concerto is offically under construction. It has a pretty snazzy webpage.

http://concertodowntown.com/

Here are new renderings:

Last edited by soup or man; May 31st, 2006 at 07:10 AM.
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:17 AM   #111
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Great! Now let's hope the Glass Tower, The City House, and The Olympic start soon too as it is suggested that they will most likely go through!
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:10 AM   #112
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

So Figueroa itself has 3 projects u/c 1 approved and one that is in the pipeline. Nice!
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:53 PM   #113
raymond3000
Citywatch #2 lol j/k

Likes (Received): 7

I have a question? Does anyone know or have a clue what they do with all that wood that is used to pour a concrete slab or column? Is all the wood just recycled or is it thrown out? if so that sucks for all those trees that were used basically for nothing. I would figure all the wood they use from all the construction sites downtown could build a whole community of houses or make alot of paper for some use
raymond3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:34 PM   #114
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

im sure it goes somewere

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:24 AM   #115
SMN

Likes (Received): 0

Its recycled throughout the job. For instance after the first floor is stripped, it is used again on the 3rd floor. They typically don't use new material for each floor.
SMN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:29 AM   #116
alex3000
I'm not Chinese

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
Great! Now let's hope the Glass Tower, The City House, and The Olympic start soon too as it is suggested that they will most likely go through!
I went to DTLA yesterday and the Glass Tower is already underconstruction.

Pic:
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:36 AM   #117
soup or man
Avant Garde

^ No it isn't. That sign has been there for months. Unless earth movers are eating the parking lot...

Anywho..some news regarding the hotel at LA Live:

Quote:
Marriott Checks In[/SIZE]

By ANDY FIXMER
Los Angeles Business Journal Staff
Hilton Hotel Corp.’s name will no longer adorn L.A.’s new convention center hotel.

At a meeting in New York this week, Anschutz Entertainment Group Chief Executive Tim Leiweke let slip that his company had dumped L.A.-based Hilton in favor of Marriott International Inc.

Marriott plans to install a Marriott Marquis to handle convention goers and its Ritz Carlton brand for guests seeking higher-end services. The Ritz Carlton rooms will occupy the upper-most hotel portion of the 52-story tower, which will be topped-off by more than 200 condos.

KB Home, which is splitting the financing of the hotel with AEG and will sell the condo units, pushed for the change in brands, according to a source close to the decision.

The L.A.-based homebuilder believed it could get more for the condos if the hotel contained a Ritz Carlton and Marriott Marquis rather than a Hilton, the source said.

Calls to KB Home seeking comment weren’t returned. Hilton spokeswoman Kathy Shepard confirmed that Hilton is no longer involved in the convention center hotel project.

It’s unclear under what financial terms Marriott is taking over the hotel’s management contract. However, in addition to other incentives, Hilton had agreed to lend AEG about $30 million toward the project’s financing.

AEG spokesman Michael Roth said the company doesn’t comment on speculation and he couldn’t confirm Leiweke’s comments during the meeting.

However, a member in attendance at the New York meeting, where boosters were pitching Wall Street investors and developers on downtown L.A., confirmed Leiweke’s comments.

Lieweke told the group AEG is switching operators of the hotel, but said the identity of the new operator would be announced at a press conference in two weeks. However, during a slide show to the group, a rendering of the convention center hotel contained the Marriott and Ritz Carlton flags, according to the source at the meeting.

When Lieweke realized what happened, he said “Oh well, I guess the cat’s out of the bag now” and continued on with the presentation, which included an overview of the company’s L.A. Live project.

The 1,100-room convention center hotel is the crown jewel of the L.A. Live project, which also includes a 7,100-seat theater, shops, restaurants, a nightclub, movie theaters and ESPN’s new West Coast broadcast center. The project is being built on the roughly 1 square mile of surface parking lots surrounding the Staples Center, of which AEG is the principal owner.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:17 AM   #118
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

^ Finally we get this ball rolling again..... Yay!!!!!!

So it's a for sure deal and no backing out anymore. I really don't care who operates the Hotel but I guess it's more prestige to have the Marriott Marquia and Ritz Carlton. Sorry Paris Hilton, your out!!!!!

Anyhow, so it's only going to be 52 levels as opposed to 55, Dammmmm. Any renderings on the final design, I can't wait.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM   #119
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Well at least it is 52 as tall as the City Nat. Plaza 699', if it has high ceilings, better than 50 floors as previously said.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM   #120
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Great to see all this development in LA!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote