daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #121
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES
Well at least it is 52 as tall as the City Nat. Plaza 699', if it has high ceilings, better than 50 floors as previously said.
It probably won't be that tall. Hotel floors are typically 9-10 feet, compared to office floors which are typically 13 feet. The condo floors may have higher ceilings, but even with that, I think the ceiling on this will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 620 ft. Still, it'll be very prominent in the skyline. Let's hope for a good design. The previous one wasn't bad at all.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #122
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

yes, lets all prey this doesnt go the way of the freedom tower

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #123
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
Let's hope for a good design. The previous one wasn't bad at all.

^ I hope we get something that really stand out with a light show on top. Like the one's in HK, nice!
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #124
latennisguy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism
^ I hope we get something that really stand out with a light show on top. Like the one's in HK, nice!
which reminds me, what ever happened to the City National Plaza lights?

these:

latennisguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #125
godblessbotox
la is pritty

what the hell are those? ufos?

me+flickr=joy
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:19 AM   #126
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

[QUOTE=latennisguy]which reminds me, what ever happened to the City National Plaza lights?

these:

^ I thought it was only a proposal to bring life into the "Mighty Black Twins".....
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #127
latennisguy

[QUOTE=Ferneynism]
Quote:
Originally Posted by latennisguy
which reminds me, what ever happened to the City National Plaza lights?

these:

^ I thought it was only a proposal to bring life into the "Mighty Black Twins".....
Electroland won a competition between four firms for an installation that would reassert the prominence of the City National Plaza Towers on the Los Angeles skyline. Two of the three schemes we presented are shown here. Later on the client abandoned the project.

crap...i just noticed that...something like this would have been sooo coool
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #128
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

Where was that posted? So not joyful a thing like this was droped.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #129
latennisguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES
Where was that posted? So not joyful a thing like this was droped.
it's in their website: www.electroland.net
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #130
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Thanks. At least Electroland is coming along nicely with the project at Met Lofts.
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #131
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

From SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogdowntown
Walked by the parking lot slated to be Astani's 8th & Grand project tonight and found the lot closed. The signs seem to say it's for good:

Definitely good to see.
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #132
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

This thing is closer than what I thought. Great!
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #133
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Photo update - June 11, 2006

This thread fell to the second page? Time to bring it back to life with some photos...

South - Evo

The whole South development with Evo (front), Luma (left-background) and Elleven.

Ground works at Evo. Nothing too exciting going on but there are a lot more caissons in the ground now than two weeks ago.

South - Luma

From the back

From the front

SBC Center - recladding

I'll document this the best I can. So far as I can tell, they have removed the horizontal "sun shades" and not much else. Personally, I like the top the way it is, but am curious to see what the new version will look like.

Concerto

Most of the lot has been stripped of the asphault (except for the northern edge, along 9th street - where the billboard is still standing), and they have delivered a shitload of what looks like steel piles - though they don't look like your normal sheet piles.

Market Lofts - Ralph's

Pouring the sixth floor on the west side. Concerto in the foreground.

A little closer. One more floor to go above the formwork, then it should be topped out.

Hanover Tower

Got land? Hanover wants to buy it from you (cough! Meruelo cough!)

LA Live

Southeast side, looking down from Figueroa. They're moving on this one...

Northeast corner, also from Figueroa.

They were putting up a third crane and I happened to be there to watch it. Pretty cool stuff. I was surprised to see these guys working at 4:40 pm on a Sunday though.

They used a foundation crane to raise the cab off the ground (is that what this is called?)

Rising...

Hoisting it to the top...

Aligning it. Watch your fingers!

All connected and ready for the crane arm. Break time, boys!

And a couple of other things I noticed while walking around. The green glass panels are finally up on the front of MetLofts (actually they've been there for at least a week, but I haven't had a chance to take a picture). They look great, imho.

Some people were wondering if the Desmond Building (across from Luma) was going to go condo. Not according to this sign...

That's it for now.
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #134
soup or man
Avant Garde

One thing you can say about LA: Even though alot of projects get delayed a bit, once under construction, they move VERY fast.

Thanks for the update. It seems as though there is a unspoken rule that we get photo updates every 2 weeks which is a perfect amount of time to see devlopement.
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #135
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

In the Desmond Building sign, it says the name Maruelo. Is that the same name of the developer who proposed the 40 story tower at 9th & Flower?
Nice update.
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #136
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
It seems as though there is a unspoken rule that we get photo updates every 2 weeks which is a perfect amount of time to see devlopement.
Don't count on updates every 2 weeks. That was purely a coincidence. But I will try to update when I have time.

As for Meruelo, yes, he is the owner of the lot where the 37-40 story condo tower is planned on the northwest corner of 9th and Flower, across from Ralph's and Concerto.
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #137
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

[QUOTE=colemonkee]

They were putting up a third crane and I happened to be there to watch it. Pretty cool stuff. I was surprised to see these guys working at 4:40 pm on a Sunday though.

^ Hey check it out, The Conga Room is already being advertise. I can't wait to go and check it out. I'll bet J~Lo and her significant other will be making pit stops at the joint!!!!
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #138
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
It seems as though there is a unspoken rule that we get photo updates every 2 weeks which is a perfect amount of time to see devlopement.
ha ha ha... amazing how this works out hu?

me+flickr=joy
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #139
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Here is the new LA Live Hotel! opeining by 2010, 54 stories, 5 star hotel, condos on top, etc etc.

L.A. Convention Center to Get Major Hotel Tower
By Annette Haddad and Kimi Yoshino, Times Staff Writers
June 13, 2006

The remaking of downtown Los Angeles will gain a crucial missing piece today when developers unveil plans for a 1,000-room hotel complex — including a five-star Ritz-Carlton and a four-star Marriott Marquis — for the Convention Center.

Rising 54 stories, the $750-million project would be one of the largest buildings in Los Angeles at 2 million square feet.

The proposed 124-room Ritz-Carlton would be the first five-star hotel downtown and, with the largest ballroom in the city, the planned 876-room Marriott Marquis would fill a void as a business meeting hub at the Convention Center. The hotels are to be topped by 216 luxury condominiums.

The project, scheduled to open in 2010, would anchor L.A. Live, the 27-acre sports-entertainment complex considered the linchpin of downtown's redevelopment.

It has taken two decades to land a major convention hotel, but the agreement by Marriott International Inc. with local developers to operate two luxury inns in the same glitzy Vegas-style high-rise raises hopes for reestablishing the city center as a top tourist and convention magnet.

"All of this is really a wonderful story about the emergence — and reemergence — of downtown Los Angeles as a strong economic center and a strong weight to the region's economy," said Stuart Gabriel, a USC professor and director of its Lusk Center for Real Estate.

The complex — with its upper stories to be sheathed in glass — is being jointly developed by KB Home, which is building the condos, and AEG, which is owned by billionaire Philip Anschutz, the developer of Staples Center.

It is being designed by San Francisco-based architecture firm Gensler.

"This is what we've been hoping and waiting for," said Jack Kyser, executive director of the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. "This will make Los Angeles a very attractive travel and business-show destination. To the average Joe on the street, it means people will be coming in and spending money here."

With the recent construction of — and future plans for — thousands of condominium and apartment units, downtown Los Angeles has been evolving into an increasingly desirable housing market. The new homes have spurred the opening of dozens of restaurants and retail shops to serve the new residents.

But concerns about its homeless population and uneven redevelopment plan have caused many to cast a wary eye on downtown's revitalization.

Christian Gann of Dallas has made about half a dozen business trips to the region, but the 34-year-old account manager sees an only half-completed makeover. In his forays around downtown, he finds some areas are nice and tidy, while others are rough around the edges: "The area could be cleaned up."

Downtown has long suffered economically in large part because of a dearth of hotel rooms and things to do in the area.

L.A. today doesn't even crack the top 10 list of convention cities, and its largest show, the Electronic Entertainment Expo with 60,000 visitors, is ranked 29th among the major conventions. In fact, L.A. hosted only four of the top national conventions in 2005, ranking behind Indianapolis and Rosemont, Ill., according to Tradeshow Week magazine.

Business has been lost to city-financed renovations to convention centers in Anaheim and San Diego that added rooms and improved meeting facilities. Los Angeles can claim only 650 hotel rooms within immediate walking distance to its Convention Center, compared with Anaheim's 4,500 and San Diego's 3,200, said Michael Collins, executive vice president of LA Inc., the Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"We became the only West Coast convention center that didn't have a hotel right nearby," Collins said. "There is no way that a salesperson can spin their way out of that fact."

Even with the addition of the Staples Center sports complex in 1999, the city was unable to boost overnight guests without rooms to hold them. So to induce visitors, AEG embarked on the $2.2-billion L.A. Live project that would combine entertainment, dining, retail and residential living within a stone's throw of the Convention Center. Among its attractions will be a 7,000 Nokia Theatre Los Angeles for live performances, a 15-screen Regal cineplex, an ESPN broadcasting center and the Grammy Museum. AEG said it was in discussions to bring to the site another hotel and additional condo and apartment units.

Yet, persuading a recognized convention hotel operator to plant its flag was seen as imperative in transforming the region into a must-visit place.

"The fact that Marriott is making a big bet down here is further demonstration of the vitality of this marketplace," said Mark Tarczynski, a broker with CB Commercial.

Marriott acknowledged that the location is in the midst of a turnaround. But the plans underway convinced executives to sign on nonetheless.

"There are things that give us confidence, especially if you look at what's already been accomplished," said Steve Joyce, Marriott's executive vice president for the Americas.

Plans for a Convention Center hotel were begun last year when AEG opened talks with Beverly Hills-based Hilton Hotels Corp. and ground was broken at the site at Olympic Boulevard and Georgia Street by developers Apollo Real Estate Advisors and Wolff Urban Management Inc.

Then, Westwood-based KB Home, one of the nation's biggest home builders, announced its intention to build luxury condos in the vicinity. Within months, KB joined with AEG to buy out the Apollo-Wolff team and take over development of the site to create a luxury hotel-condo project.

The new team reopened the bidding process. Hilton and Marriott were among four hotel operators to make bids, including Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. and Hyatt Hotels & Resorts.

"We're sorry we're not able to work with Hilton but Bill Marriott put the best deal on the table and gave us the Ritz-Carlton brand," said Tim Leiweke, president and CEO of AEG. "To have a high-end hotel in downtown L.A. is a huge statement."

The project has attracted controversy because nearly half its cost will be financed by city subsidies and loans. The City Council approved the subsidies, which would come through rebates of hotel taxes collected by the city, despite opposition from operators of existing downtown hotels, including the landmark, five-tower Westin Bonaventure, the city's largest hotel with 1,368 rooms.

Bonaventure officials didn't return calls Monday seeking comment.

Spurred by the development around the Convention Center, the 900-room Wilshire Grand Hotel, a leading downtown convention and business hotel five blocks away, is undergoing a $40-million renovation. "We want to remain a player down here," said hotel spokesman Marc Loge.

The addition of the two Marriott brands "is not competition," he said. "What's good for one of us is good for all of us. We have a great Convention Center, but just barely the hotel rooms now to serve them."

Already, things are picking up for the downtown facility. So far this year, convention officials, touting the coming hotel and entertainment-related attractions, have booked $165 million in meetings dating to 2025, compared to $31.8 million booked two years ago. LA Inc.'s Collins said he was anticipating another 20% increase in bookings next year.

Times staff writer Cynthia Cho contributed to this report.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #140
soup or man
Avant Garde

Looks more Q shaped to me.

Btw..a couple of bulldozers are feasting on the parking lot ajacent to the LA Live site. And at the Concerto site, crews are welding..I guess..those steel beams. For what I don't know. Just something worth saying.

And a Porta-Potty is at the 8th and Grand site. Just as it was for Concerto, Porta-Potties=good things are coming our way.