daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #421
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

What a great way to start a new year for you guys. I hope it happens in December. America has way too many new supertalls to even count.

(By the way, there are some places that go for over $30 million here, so this should be wholly sold out fast.)
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #422
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Very nice building!
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #423
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

I would tell the FAA to stuff it and I am sure there are plenty of insurers willing to insure the building.

Full article on the FAA issue, from The Tennessean:

Friday, 11/02/07
Signature Tower would be too tall, FAA says
It wants skyscraper's height cut by half for airliner safety
By KATE HOWARD
Staff Writer

The 1,057-foot skyscraper meant to tower over Nashville and outshine every building in the Southeast could end up in the shadows of the Batman building.

The federal government has put the developer on notice that the staggering height of the Signature Tower will pose a hazard to airplanes and should be taken down a notch — actually, taken down by half.

Developer Tony Giarratana said there's no way he's changing his plans, because working with the Federal Aviation Administration is a matter of course when you're in the business of building skyscrapers.

The project, not yet under construction, has sailed through approvals from the Metro Council and Planning Commission, but the proposed tower, already giving the rest of the region's buildings a Napoleon complex, got a new designation after a study from the FAA: "presumed hazard."

Giarratana said the Metro Nashville Airport Authority has promised its support, and is looking into ways to alter their flight patterns to accommodate the tower at its planned stature.

"The bottom line … is that Metro and the FAA are working with us to solve any issues that exist, and that Signature Tower will get developed as planned," Giarratana said.

In September, the airport authority sent a letter to the Metro codes department — the last agency the project must clear — saying it planned to help make the changes necessary to meet FAA regulations well in advance of the building's completion.

Flight paths are concern

A notice filed by the FAA on Oct. 25 says that the Signature Tower needs to be "reduced in height so as not to exceed 433 feet above ground level."

Not only would stealing Atlanta's skyscraper glory be out of the question, but the Signature Tower at that height would be nearly 200 feet shorter than the AT&T (formerly BellSouth) headquarters with the Batman silhouette, just a few blocks away.

"Every location is unique," FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said. "We study every building, every cell tower based on the exact latitude and longitude, proximity to the airport, and the location regarding flight paths into and out of the airport."

The lot is about four and a half miles from the end of Runway 31 at Nashville International Airport and four miles from the Cornelia Fort Airpark, according to the FAA. Bergen said the staff calculates how many feet, vertically and horizontally, need to be kept clear for climbing planes, and the tower falls into that area.

Bergen said Giarratana Development LLC submitted the required request for a study in November, and the FAA deemed the tower to be a hazard in February. Another study was commissioned in August with the same results, prompting last week's notice, Bergen said.

Giarratana said he has not received the October notice, but he, his consultants and airport officials have been working with the FAA since it told him in February the height might be a problem. Research is under way to figure out what flight-pattern changes would accommodate the tower, he said.

Giarratana has until Christmas to submit a request for further study of the building at the same height or revised plans that meet the FAA's recommendations. Bergen said changes to the approaches and departure routes of an airport require noise and environmental studies and approval from the FAA.

The air agency can't force Giarratana to meet its recommendations, but ignoring it could carry consequences.

"We cannot legally block a proponent from building, but our determinations carry a lot with insurance companies and local agencies," Bergen said.

In Arlington, Va., a 390-foot office tower was deemed a presumed hazard for planes approaching from Reagan International Airport, although the FAA approved the twin residential tower next door that was one story shorter. A Las Vegas developer, shooting for the tallest structure in the Western Hemisphere, scaled back plans for a 1,888-foot hotel this fall after getting an FAA notice it was too high.

Signature Tower is planned to be 70 stories, with 400 condos and 197 hotel rooms.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #424
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

No way... not again... not another one!
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #425
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

The FAA is probably the federal agency I hate the most...
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #426
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

This is one good-looking tower, lowering will definitely destroy its beauty...
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #427
Plasticman

Likes (Received): 8

The FAA's incompetance is laughable. By their standard Nashville will have to cut a couple hundred feet off Bellsouth. Tony will ignore this nonsense as he should. The height of this building has been major public knowledge for a year and a half (May of 2006). The time for the FAA to raise issues like this was over a year ago and well before Tony had hard contracts signed. That ship has sailed.

Dont' worry about it...it's non-news and will be quickly batted down.
Plasticman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #428
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

News video of the FAA story:

http://wkrn.com/nashville/news/signa...126787.htm#top
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #429
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

As a skyscraperenthusiast i hope they wont lower it it would be space effective building becouse of the lack of other skyscrapers of that height in the area, so hope they solve whatever airport issue there is.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #430
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
The FAA is probably the federal agency I hate the most...
From that stupid answer...I guess you don't fly very much! The building can be built without the FAA approval.
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #431
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
From that stupid answer...I guess you don't fly very much! The building can be built without the FAA approval.
1) it is not an answr but a statement.

2) I fly 4-6 times a year...not excessively, but good enuf.

3)For the fact that the building can be buit without the approval of the FAA I already knew it, and it was posted also in other threads.

4) as for my statement, it is not stupid, but it is only the simple manifestation of my feelings towards an agency that needs to modernize its system (and this has been said by many people also on the news) because it is not able to organize efficently the growing air traffic; because it is part of the apparatus that failed to react effectively in times of need and emergency (don't think I need to mention any dates), and principally because it is, in some cases, the obstacle to one of the things I love the most, skyscrapers.

So please don't talk about things you have no idea why they were said in the first place.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #432
Plasticman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

3)For the fact that the building can be buit without the approval of the FAA I already knew it, and it was posted also in other threads.

4) as for my statement, it is not stupid, but it is only the simple manifestation of my feelings towards an agency that needs to modernize its system (and this has been said by many people also on the news) because it is not able to organize efficently the growing air traffic; because it is part of the apparatus that failed to react effectively in times of need and emergency (don't think I need to mention any dates), and principally because it is, in some cases, the obstacle to one of the things I love the most, skyscrapers.

So please don't talk about things you have no idea why they were said in the first place.
I don't disagree that FAA seems to be incompetent if it took them 18 months to come to the shocking revelation that the 1,057' building might be marginally taller than the 400-500 footers that will surround it.
Plasticman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #433
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

congrats Nashville

this building would fit in very well in NY
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #434
Hankster

It was reported today in the Nashville Business Journal that Tony Giarratana has pulled the master permit with Metro Nashville to begin excavation of the site before the end of this year. The 70 foot excavation process(largely through solid rock) is expected to take about five months.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...edition.html#1
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #435
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Issuance of building permit reported in Tennessean newspaper.

Monday, 11/12/07
Building Permits

Davidson County

Signature Tower. Value: Unreported. Developer Tony Giarratana took out a permit to build Signature Tower, a 70-story condo tower at 501 Church St.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #436
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:

WHAT?????
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #437
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

this building belongs in Gotham City
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #438
gusgazman

Likes (Received): 641

jin mao tower + chrisler building = signature tower... Am I wrong?
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #439
Hankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusgazman View Post
jin mao tower + chrisler building = signature tower... Am I wrong?
Wow! I like your math.
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #440
Lawcheehung
Toronto, I Love You

Likes (Received): 3

DON't CUT IT!!...this is one of my all time proposed favourite sexy towers..ughhasrgh...
Lawcheehung no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
nashville