daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #521
madtony8k

Likes (Received): 1

I don't see how there is a question of whether or not this tower SHOULD get built. It says in the thread title that this is approved. Since when does 'approved' mean 'may or may not get built'? or am i missing something here?
madtony8k no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #522
jlh630

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtony8k View Post
I don't see how there is a question of whether or not this tower SHOULD get built. It says in the thread title that this is approved. Since when does 'approved' mean 'may or may not get built'? or am i missing something here?
Approved means that the design has been accepted and that the city will allow it to be built. The problem right now is that not enough units have been sold to ensure no financial problems.
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #523
madtony8k

thanks jlh630... it will be really nice to have something overtake the other buildings in nashville. most of the tall buildings are around the same height as each other, and there are a lot of them. It would be nice to have a building that really stands out. A tall building right in the middle would fit nicely. nashville can definitely support a tower this tall.
madtony8k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #524
cityman1100
A true Washingtonian...

Are there any official updates?
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #525
Christian urbanite

Likes (Received): 3

Well, if the tower does not get built, then maybe when I get rich, I will purchase the designs and the land and build it when there is a better market.
Christian urbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #526
jlh630

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityman1100 View Post
Are there any official updates?
Last official word is that they are still in the process of selling enough units. I pass by the site about once a week and it's still an occupied parking lot. I would expect we will be hearing something (good or bad) within the next month or so.
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #527
DrzBrooklynChulo90
Javier

Likes (Received): 8

27 pages of nothing,,,aww,,,c;mon...that sux...no pix??

REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
WWW.MySpace.com/RDLatino430RD
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...03&ref=profile
DrzBrooklynChulo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #528
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrzBrooklynChulo90 View Post
27 pages of nothing,,,aww,,,c;mon...that sux...no pix??
there are no pix cuz its not still 100% percent certain that the tower is going to be built
as you can read on the title, it says approved not u/c
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #529
Gtownoe

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtony8k View Post
My understanding could be off, but until construction starts a lot of things could happen.

Even though the building gets approved doesn't mean it will be built. It just means the city approved the building.

If the market doesn't respond favorably to the proposal than the tower won't be built.
Gtownoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #530
Assurbanipal

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post
Approved means that the design has been accepted and that the city will allow it to be built. The problem right now is that not enough units have been sold to ensure no financial problems.
House price crash bites nasty
However I hope this project will be realised in next economic boom!
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #531
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

I really hope it gets built. I think it will be the crown jewel for Nashville's skyline! I know it feels to have such a wonderful project dangling in the air because of financial issues... For us Chicagoans it was the Chicago Spire. We had 2 developers and 4 redesigns talk for the building talk about scary times.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #532
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

well, the good news is that even if this tower doesn't work out, he has a smaller tower proposed as well. so, for nashville, it's still a win-win.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #533
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
well, the good news is that even if this tower doesn't work out, he has a smaller tower proposed as well. so, for nashville, it's still a win-win.
How small?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #534
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

This thread should be shut down. Nothing is happening... NO NEWS! NOTHING!
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #535
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

I tend to agree, at least until some actual news/progress is certain. I keep coming on here expecting albeit even hoping it's started. Imagine my increasing disappointment. Here's hoping it starts soon. I would really hate to read another 27 pages (?) of the same thing.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #536
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Can anyone please take the picture of the site of Signature Tower to see if anything happen to that site?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #537
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2820

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post
Last official word is that they are still in the process of selling enough units. I pass by the site about once a week and it's still an occupied parking lot. I would expect we will be hearing something (good or bad) within the next month or so.
this thread was started in April of 2006 and it's still a parking lot? Maybe Nashville can't support such a building if after 2 years they haven't sold enough units to make the project feasible. Sad indeed
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #538
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

What I don't understand is why don't they just chop off 20 floors and proceed with the project. It will still be the tallest in Nashville and the State of Tennessee, although not a "supertall" any more. More importantly, it will be more profitable and less of a risk for the investors.
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #539
Plasticman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
What I don't understand is why don't they just chop off 20 floors and proceed with the project. It will still be the tallest in Nashville and the State of Tennessee, although not a "supertall" any more. More importantly, it will be more profitable and less of a risk for the investors.
Actually this question has been asked many times during this long, long, thread. Here is the general opinion and I believe it to be true.

The building has over 100 solid contracts with many being on the penthouse and upper floors. Because these units were sold as part of a landmark 1,000+ foot tower, any changes in height (other than possibly the pinnacle) will dramatically decrease the uniqueness of the upper floor units and therefore reduce their value. This would also eliminate all sales above whatever floor height he changed to. Even the lower floors would be worth less because the buiding itself is no longer unique. This would void the contracts he has.

In short, the building cannot be changed in height without starting over with contracts. It's either all or nothing. That's why the rumblings about change within the Giaratanna camp aren't related to height but are always centered on redistribution of the full 70 floors or changing something cosmetic like the crown. Example is the recent rumor of increasing the hotel portion which would only affect the very lowest floors. Any sales on those lowest floors would likely only cause them to be bumped up to the next available floor. I'm not sure if that is even allowed or not but is obviously being considered.
Plasticman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #540
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

They lopped 100-150 feet off of the height of Trump Toronto (it's now just over 900' or so)... and the thing is finally under construction. The excuse they made was a smoke-screen (elevator issues for such a tiny site), but lethargic sales at those prices was the most likely reason. Nonetheless, the builder must have figured out how to placate those purchasers who paid top dollar to own at those rarified elevations.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
nashville