daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #541
Plasticman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
They lopped 100-150 feet off of the height of Trump Toronto (it's now just over 900' or so)... and the thing is finally under construction. The excuse they made was a smoke-screen (elevator issues for such a tiny site), but lethargic sales at those prices was the most likely reason. Nonetheless, the builder must have figured out how to placate those purchasers who paid top dollar to own at those rarified elevations.
Dig a little deeper and I bet a certain % change was allowed in the contracts. And then consider what part changed. Was the building flat roof or did it have a crown of some sort that was lopped off? At any rate the developer couldn't make a dramatic change without re-negoatiating contracts of the top floors.
Plasticman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #542
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

I don't need to dig deeper... this is a market that is still exploding despite the historical "America sneezes and Canada catches a cold" real estated phenom.

Toronto is building 5 new 5 star hotels and one of them performed poorly... named Trump. What's your point? If I was a Nashville skyscraper geek with a camera at the ready... I'd vote "build it... whatever the height...".
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #543
Plasticman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
I don't need to dig deeper... this is a market that is still exploding despite the historical "America sneezes and Canada catches a cold" real estated phenom.

Toronto is building 5 new 5 star hotels and one of them performed poorly... named Trump. What's your point? If I was a Nashville skyscraper geek with a camera at the ready... I'd vote "build it... whatever the height...".
Apparently you do need to dig deeper...mostly in your understanding of my statement. My point? I'm not talking about Tornoto's "market". I'm talking about contractural obligations regarding making major architectural changes to a condo tower. If Trump had to change his tower then somewhere along the way the subject of his contractural obligations to his contracted buyers had to surface immediately. It could be he had the ability to make such changes in the contract from the outset. But if he had a unit sold on the 70th floor and now that unit no longer exists, well I would imagine the buyer wouldn't be willing to shell out money for nothing.

My points regarding Signature Tower up in Nashville is based on the premise that the developer has contracts for condos sitting well over 800' in the air. If he shortens the tower (excluding the crown), the very top floor condos dissappear as do his contracts for the now non-existent units. And then with the condo tower becoming less distinctive or unique, the value of even the lower units themselves are reduced which likely nullifies many of the contracts even on floors that do remain.

Now do you get my point?
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #544
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
How small?
not sure.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #545
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

What ever happened to his hot air balloon? Does he even have a GC on board yet?
DemolitionDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #546
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Look...I wish that they would build this project. But there is truly nothing happening. Can we shut this down???
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #547
orlandonative

Likes (Received): 33

The above posters are correct.

For a developer its easier (P.R. and otherwise) to return deposits after expiring all of your options than it is to get locked in litigation with 100 or so complaintants (sp?).

All or nothing.

This project is dead.
orlandonative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #548
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

This project is not dead.

But this thread should be.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #549
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
This project is not dead.

But this thread should be.
the thread has already been dead and the project is about to die
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #550
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

Thanks for the explanations. I guess Nashville is not ready for a "super-tall" building yet.
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #551
Plasticman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
Thanks for the explanations. I guess Nashville is not ready for a "super-tall" building yet.
That's the notion I don't understand. "ready for a supertall". If someone has the money and a permit they can build a mile high skyscraper in a cornfield in Nebraska. Plus Signature Tower is a condo tower. If it doesn't get built it has nothing whatsoever to do with Nashville's being "ready" or not. Two 500' condo towers would be just as much on hold, or three 350 footers.

It is all about the home mortgage crunch and what I consider very gimmicky marketing by the developer. Now he has spent all this time marketing it with balloon rides and free cars that he may not have time to reel in enough buyers before the contracts expire. I hope I'm wrong.
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #552
jlh630

Likes (Received): 7

This project may be quiet right now, but it is not dead. Some news that hasn't been posted yet from February 12 (1 week ago):

http://wkrn.com/nashville/news/propo...ays/136142.htm

The video is mostly about an unrelated development in Davidson county outside Nashville, but the last 30 seconds of the video are an interview with the developer, Giarratana, about the Signature Tower. Word is they are still expecting to break ground this spring. Part of the hold-up has been conflict with the FAA over the height of the building, but it seems they are going to allow this building to exceed 300 m as planned.

Don't count this building out just yet. It may be one of the slowest moving project out there, but it is neither on hold nor cancelled. This thread should stay open.
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #553
Plasticman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post
This project may be quiet right now, but it is not dead. Some news that hasn't been posted yet from February 12 (1 week ago):

http://wkrn.com/nashville/news/propo...ays/136142.htm

The video is mostly about an unrelated development in Davidson county outside Nashville, but the last 30 seconds of the video are an interview with the developer, Giarratana, about the Signature Tower. Word is they are still expecting to break ground this spring. Part of the hold-up has been conflict with the FAA over the height of the building, but it seems they are going to allow this building to exceed 300 m as planned.

Don't count this building out just yet. It may be one of the slowest moving project out there, but it is neither on hold nor cancelled. This thread should stay open.
I hope you're right. Some folks on the other forums have said the FAA thing is a smokescreen and that lackluster sales are delaying the groundbreaking. I really, really, hope you are right.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #554
madtony8k

Likes (Received): 1

They could lop off the bottom half of the building, and build the top half on stilts. Then those people with contracts would still get their elevations
madtony8k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:52 AM   #555
Hankster

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtony8k View Post
They could lop off the bottom half of the building, and build the top half on stilts. Then those people with contracts would still get their elevations
Actually, the bottom of the tower is basically a done deal. That is reserved for the Hotel Palomar. With the near 100% probability of a new Convention Center being constructed starting in 2009, the Hotel Palomar is now interested in adding more rooms than originally planned. That means that, if built, Signature Tower will probably have a 20 story hotel at the bottom with 50 floors of condos above that, rather than only a 13 story hotel as originally planned and 57 stories of condos above that. The developer will not have to sell as many condos as before to obtain financing and that raises the odds that this thing can go forward. Based on what I heard, Giarratana needs to break ground on this thing by June, or the contracts already signed go void. It's crunch time between now and then for the project. I beleive he still needs to sell about 60 more units to get financing. There's even the possibility that he would break ground before financing is obtained, financing the prep work (70 foot excavation) out of his own pocket. There are also rumors that he is talking to other developers to partner in the project. Who knows? It will be an interesting next several months.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM   #556
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Well... This is the most promising bit of information that I've heard in a looooong while. Though promising I won't hold my breath
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM   #557
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Good news.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM   #558
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

they had an article about this a few months ago, i tried to find it, but i couldnt. if anyone can, please post it here.

RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:43 PM   #559
Erik91
Multa per aequora vectus

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post

Based on the public unveiling today in Nashville, the approved Signature Tower will stand an impressive 65 stories / 1,047 feet tall making it the tallest U.S. skyscraper outside of New York and Chicago. Wow!!
Love the top !

Quod iniuria talis, cogit amantem amare magis, sed bene velle minus. (Catullo)
Erik91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:18 AM   #560
Plasticman

Actually they've changed the top. I like it even better. Here's the latest rendering:

Tags
nashville