daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:24 AM   #561
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3246

^Agreed! It's amazing how that subtle refinement up there turns the volume down on that crown. Every time I've looked at this thing the past couple of years it was like 'Shenzhou Trade Mansion', or something. I love those things in China. Not in the mid-south U.S.A.

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM   #562
Inconfidente

Likes (Received): 15157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearman View Post
That is a really beautiful crown. So american... The good kind of american!
Thatīs what looks for me too.
Inconfidente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM   #563
ames
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

its a beauty.
ames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #564
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

I like the top of it
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #565
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
Actually, the bottom of the tower is basically a done deal. That is reserved for the Hotel Palomar. With the near 100% probability of a new Convention Center being constructed starting in 2009, the Hotel Palomar is now interested in adding more rooms than originally planned. That means that, if built, Signature Tower will probably have a 20 story hotel at the bottom with 50 floors of condos above that, rather than only a 13 story hotel as originally planned and 57 stories of condos above that. The developer will not have to sell as many condos as before to obtain financing and that raises the odds that this thing can go forward. Based on what I heard, Giarratana needs to break ground on this thing by June, or the contracts already signed go void. It's crunch time between now and then for the project. I beleive he still needs to sell about 60 more units to get financing. There's even the possibility that he would break ground before financing is obtained, financing the prep work (70 foot excavation) out of his own pocket. There are also rumors that he is talking to other developers to partner in the project. Who knows? It will be an interesting next several months.
thanks for the news, hankster. you're right, the next couple of months should be interesting....
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #566
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

great news! cant wait for an announcement from tony g.
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #567
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

This has just been torture.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #568
RON-E

what has? the building always on the verge of an announcement? lol, if so, yes, this is torture! they need to release something, anything, please.... lol
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #569
RON-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
The Chicago Spire Launches in Asia
Global Marketing Campaign Begins Five-City Asian Tour Following Unprecedented Dublin Sales Launch

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Chicago Spire global sales campaign begins a five-city Asian road show today with an opening exhibition in Singapore. Launched in January at a highly successful event in Dublin, the global marketing drive will continue to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing and Kuala Lumpur before travelling to key cities across Europe and South Africa. Designed by Santiago Calatrava, The Chicago Spire is an iconic 2,000-foot residential building located on the shores of Lake Michigan
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...20&newsLang=en
i just found this in the spire thread. this is what tony g needs to do. i think he is targeting the wrong audience by only staying in nashville. what do you think?
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #570
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12711

I LOOOOVVVVEEE this building. Love it.

But, unfortunately I don't see it getting built.

The United States economy is in shambles right now. In the past month 65000 jobs have been slashed, prices of homes have continued to tumble, and I've watched the stock market fall day after day.

International buyers don't want to live in Nashville, and investors are smart enough to steer clear of the US real estate market for atleast the next year.

I'm hoping for a "Chicago Spire" miracle, however I don't see it happening in Nashville.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #571
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON-E View Post
i just found this in the spire thread. this is what tony g needs to do. i think he is targeting the wrong audience by only staying in nashville. what do you think?
I agree with your assessment. However, I don't see Nashville offering international buyers the same cachet as Chicago....
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #572
MDguy

^ i think he should be reaching to viewers in Atl, Louisville, Memphis, and the surrounding areas, wouldn't that work
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #573
cheeps
BANNED

No....
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #574
MDguy

^ thanks for the exceptionally in depth answer. Why not?
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #575
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Just no.

xXFallenXx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #576
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
^ i think he should be reaching to viewers in Atl, Louisville, Memphis, and the surrounding areas, wouldn't that work
I think marketing to soon to be boomer retirees from the northeast and midwest to come to the relatively "warm" and "friendly" South may be worth some marketing dollars. Jobs, families and finances weigh too heavily for the younger set in the nearby cities.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #577
phillybud

Nashville is not Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
I LOOOOVVVVEEE this building. Love it.

But, unfortunately I don't see it getting built.

The United States economy is in shambles right now. In the past month 65000 jobs have been slashed, prices of homes have continued to tumble, and I've watched the stock market fall day after day.

International buyers don't want to live in Nashville, and investors are smart enough to steer clear of the US real estate market for atleast the next year.

I'm hoping for a "Chicago Spire" miracle, however I don't see it happening in Nashville.
The comments are too pessimistic, too overly negative. One point is accurate, though, and that is Nashville has not yet attained the status of a "world class" city and that why such a building could be built in NYC or Chicago (or even LA, San Francisco or Miami for that matter).

Old March 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #578
Plasticman

Likes (Received): 8

Mr. G.'s marketing has been gimmicky and has cheapened the project IMO. After the balloon rides I halfway expected dancing clowns and face painting. While I enjoy such things I don't believe those carnival atmosphere type promotions attract upscale buyers.

His one ace in the hole has been the paradigm productions. He needs to rely more on them to come up with a video campaign that could be marketed overseas.

Above all, does anyone...anyone at all have a clue as to how many contracts he has? It has hovered between 100 and 120 now for months and months. If he doesn't have 150 by now he may be in trouble. IF he can convince a lender to go for it on less than half the units and IF he gets more hotel space and fewer units he may pull it off. I believe I speak for many on here with the concensus that if he can just break ground and start seeing it rise out of the hole there will be many more contracts.
Plasticman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #579
cheeps
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
Just no.

This answer made me laugh. I'm sorry. Well quite frankly my answer relates more to the dollar/euro/Asian currency issue. The dollar is really cheap right now making projects like the Spire and others quite affordable by Euro/Asian standards. I also don't see Nashville being a huge destination point for foreign tourists. It's not a huge destination point for many American tourists either. I'm not taking a shot a Nashville it's just a reality that Chicago has more commercial options for tourists.

Last edited by cheeps; March 12th, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #580
Hankster

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
This answer made me laugh. I'm sorry. Well quite frankly my answer relates more to the dollar/euro/Asian currency issue. The dollar is really cheap right now making projects like the Spire and others quite affordable by Euro/Asian standards. I also don't see Nashville being a huge destination point for foreign tourists. It's not a huge destination point for many American tourists either. I'm not taking a shot a Nashville it's just a reality that Chicago has more commercial options for tourists.
Here's some rankings from Hotel-online.com. These rankings are not too shabby for a city the size of Nashville.

Top 25 Cities for Convention / Conference/Seminar Travelers

1. Chicago
2. Las Vegas
3. Washington, DC (metro area)
4. Orlando
5. Atlanta
6. Dallas
7. San Francisco
8. Nashville
9. San Diego
10. New Orleans
11. Denver