daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2009, 07:52 AM   #681
Johnny Ryall

Likes (Received): 22

Insighter, I read that article in the Tennessean and the first quote underneath it was this... "Funny how Nashville media and leadership can selectively love and embrace one Brookings study but can instantly dismiss a more pertinent one regarding run away spending on convention facilities. No U.S. city has become successful and grew by investing primarily in conventions and tourism. Not one."
Further more, that article didn't say anything concrete. Just a bunch of hype as usual.

And here are some random numbers from Forbes national metro rankings on Nashville:

Colleges 38th
Cost of Doing Business 42nd
Cost Of Living 111th
Crime Rate 149th (9th most violent city in the nation!)
Culture & Leisure 98th
Educational Attainment 82nd
Income Growth 85th
Job Growth 47th
Net Migration 51st

Nashville was also ranked the 8th most miserable city to live in and maybe it'll be #1 if they build that horrendous convention center.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; July 1st, 2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: !
Johnny Ryall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM   #682
Johnny Ryall

Now that we got that out of the way let's get back to the Signature tower. I'm thru with this thread

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; July 1st, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM   #683
Hey_Hey

Likes (Received): 21

You conveniently left out that Nashville ranked 9th in "Best Places for Business and Careers" in 2007 and 25th in 2009 and 10th for "Best Places to Retire." If you're going to use Forbes rankings then you have to use the good with the bad.

Of course, we all know how scientific Forbes' rankings are anyway. No matter how you cut it, Nashville will qualify as a booming metro area with very solid inner core growth (both in terms of population and in terms of building). There have been around 5highrises finished in Nashville's core in the last 3 years if you count Symphony which is nearing completion.
Hey_Hey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM   #684
Insighter

Likes (Received): 1

Johnny conveniently left out a lot of information. He's no better than the selective media he attacks. It's apparent to me that he is a frustrated booster of the woefully mismanaged, perennial cellar-dweller of cities, Memphis. When I moved to Nashville, I couldn't understand the negative reaction of my colleagues when the subject of Memphis arose. I quickly learned the reason. In my line of work (banking), we do as little as possible in Memphis because the leadership is so f##ked up... not to mention as corrupt as Detroit. Two years ago, we had a huge deal that would have put condos in midtown, but the city council members started demanding that we pay this and that, and no fewer than four demanded that they be paid for their votes. We pulled out in a hurry. Some people may want to do business that way, but not me.

So, I can understand the jealousy of a person who sees his city going down the crapper, but I think that being motivated by said jealousy to knock another city borders on the mentally ill.
Insighter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #685
Insighter

Oh, and if Johnny (or anyone else) wants to know what those real numbers are... he/you can come and ask me. We get quarterly figures on virtually all market data put together by our actuaries and a team of consultants for which we pay good money. However, I won't give you all their info without making you pay for it too. Their data has proven to be more accurate than USCB estimates for the past twenty years. I've even won bets on demographic figures that we had before Commerce released their decennial census.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM   #686
Insighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Nashville was also ranked the 8th most miserable city to live in and maybe it'll be #1 if they build that horrendous convention center.
There is no question about whether the CC will be built or not. The mayor and an overwhelming majority of the Metro Council are behind this one. It's already moving forward. Get over it. Memphis will be behind Nashville in yet another category.
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM   #687
Johnny Ryall

As soon as you bring it to lame Memphis-Nashville beef your reckless debate shows. It's true Most of Nashville's numbers crunch better than that of Memphis over the past 20+ years, but that would be a first for history. There was a exodus like trend in the 70's & early 80's for downtown Memphis that built the huge East Memphis market which is bigger than any downtown in the state, save Nashville. Those trends have slowly reversed and have seen downtown and the medical district surge into a $3,000,000,000 expansion which is accelerating with more projects in the works. Memphis has already seen its worst days 20-30 years ago and its future is starting to look much brighter. We are no Detroit, but I wish someone would help that place out instead of crap all over it. Memphis' local government has its share of corruption, but so does a city like Atlanta. The exit of our clown mayor and pending city-county merger will change politics & perception. The last time a fortune 500 company relocated to Tennessee it chose Memphis, not Nashville and Memphis is home to just as many (more if you include fortune 600). Most of Tennessee's major current growth is in a corridor which runs from Knoxville to the Tri-cities. A paper like the Tennessean will not report major growth in MS counties included in the Memphis MSA which includes 3 states. Memphis is adding 2 interstates and is finishing up its greater loop to add to it's infrastructure linking it directly to cities like Indianapolis, Houston & Birmingham in the future. Also, which will be huge economic engines for its transportation & logistics industry, not to mention the world's busiest freight airport, 4th largest inland port & 3rd largest railyard. Memphis is the only city in the nation to exceed national averages in 4 of the 5 sectors of BioTechnology. It dominates with tourism. It has been named one the best cities in America to start and/or grow a business by Forbes & Money. I won't say Memphis will lead the nation into the 21st century like your delusions of grandeur, but everyone should expect great things to come in the future from the city that changed the culture of the world with Rock n Roll (not corporate pop country sold to fat kids @ wal-mart). Keep it real
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM   #688
Insighter

Quote:
As soon as you bring it to lame Memphis-Nashville beef your reckless debate shows. It's true Most of Nashville's numbers crunch better than that of Memphis over the past 20+ years, but that would be a first for history. There was a exodus like trend in the 70's & early 80's for downtown Memphis that built the huge East Memphis market which is bigger than any downtown in the state, save Nashville. Those trends have slowly reversed and have seen downtown and the medical district surge into a $3,000,000,000 expansion which is accelerating with more projects in the works. Memphis has already seen its worst days 20-30 years ago and its future is starting to look much brighter. We are no Detroit, but I wish someone would help that place out instead of crap all over it. Memphis' local government has its share of corruption, but so does a city like Atlanta. The exit of our clown mayor and pending city-county merger will change politics & perception. The last time a fortune 500 company relocated to Tennessee it chose Memphis, not Nashville and Memphis is home to just as many (more if you include fortune 600). Most of Tennessee's major current growth is in a corridor which runs from Knoxville to the Tri-cities. A paper like the Tennessean will not report major growth in MS counties included in the Memphis MSA which includes 3 states. Memphis is adding 2 interstates and is finishing up its greater loop to add to it's infrastructure linking it directly to cities like Indianapolis, Houston & Birmingham in the future. Also, which will be huge economic engines for its transportation & logistics industry, not to mention the world's busiest freight airport, 4th largest inland port & 3rd largest railyard. Memphis is the only city in the nation to exceed national averages in 4 of the 5 sectors of BioTechnology. It dominates with tourism. It has been named one the best cities in America to start and/or grow a business by Forbes & Money. I won't say Memphis will lead the nation into the 21st century like your delusions of grandeur, but everyone should expect great things to come in the future from the city that changed the culture of the world with Rock n Roll (not corporate pop country sold to fat kids @ wal-mart). Keep it real
Okay.. You guys can keep the fat man in the white leisure suit.

Keep boosting your place, but try to do so without bashing other places... your sense of inferiority shines through. Oh, and Hankster was the first to call you on your misinformation... but maybe you can explain why Middle Tennessee passed East Tennessee in population last year.

Finally... of all that you said, the saddest thing is that Memphis languishes despite all the assets you listed. As you noted, people are fleeing Memphis for Desoto county, and now, Fayette and Tipton. Even the city's premier corporation (FedEx) cannot bring itself to locate downtown. New Orleans bills itself as "The City that Care Forgot"... well, Memphis could effectively bill itself as "The City that Doesn't Care."
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:19 AM   #689
ariesjow

Likes (Received): 312

Good grief. Johnny Ryall must be kingchef from city-data. He's the only other Memphis poster I know who spends all his time posting looking for ways to undercut Nashville in random threads. Get a life, man. Just say you hate Nashville and move on.
ariesjow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:09 AM   #690
Johnny Ryall

On a nicer note, no, I'm not "king chef". I don't hate Nashville, nor do I spend my time stalking forums. I still hope the Signature Tower gets built because it really is a beautiful design. I'm a fan of some of the modern architecture in Nashville (the Fifth-Third & new Pinnacle). It's a strong showing for a city its size. I have friends there, visit and think it's a pretty nice place.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; July 3rd, 2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: !
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #691
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
On a nicer note, no, I'm not "king chef". I don't hate Nashville, nor do I spend my time stalking forums. I still hope the Signature Tower gets built because it really is a beautiful design. I'm a fan of some of the modern architecture in Nashville (the Fifth-Third & new Pinnacle). It's a strong showing for a city its size. I have friends there, visit and think it's a pretty nice place.

reduced height still doesnt take away from how nice this tower looks,will be a great addition to the Nashville skyline!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM   #692
mossimoh

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post

Based on the public unveiling today in Nashville, the approved Signature Tower will stand an impressive 65 stories / 1,047 feet tall making it the tallest U.S. skyscraper outside of New York and Chicago. Wow!!
The top of this building looks great!
mossimoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:25 PM   #693
Cashville
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
reduced height still doesnt take away from how nice this tower looks,will be a great addition to the Nashville skyline!
This thing is not getting built. Its been around for probably 4 years now, and the current height is about what the height for the original proposal was. So basically they havnt gotten anywhere in 4 years.
Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #694
aceflamingo23
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

I live in Nashville. The site where it is to be built is now a parking lot owned by primier parking. I dont think it will get built.
aceflamingo23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #695
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflamingo23 View Post
I live in Nashville. The site where it is to be built is now a parking lot owned by primier parking. I dont think it will get built.
Many projects in downtown Seattle area were parking lots before they got built. Some developers just using their properties as parking lots to make some money before it got built. That is very common in many US cities.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #696
BrianInNash

Likes (Received): 0

When they says that the Signature Tower will be the tallest outside of New York and Chicago, they're speaking in terms of feet, not stories.
BrianInNash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #697
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInNash View Post
When they says that the Signature Tower will be the tallest outside of New York and Chicago, they're speaking in terms of feet, not stories.
It wont be the tallest b/t NY and CHI now!since the 200' height reduction!ATL,Char,Cle,Philly,NY,Chi all will still have taller scrapers outside of that-Dal,Hou,LA,Sea and in 2012 OKC also have taller scrapers-if it was built right now it would be behind ATL,Char in height just for the south region!not counting what miami has going on!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #698
aceflamingo23
BANNED

This project frustrates me so! I hope once this "troubled economy" is over they will sell enough condos and hotel and office space to make it 1,047 foot tall again!
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM   #699
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

" Good luck with THAT! "
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #700
aceflamingo23
BANNED

Why, thank you!