daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM   #1761
TheFly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky91 View Post
Does anyone know if United have plans to add big screens to Old Trafford? It's crazy that such a great stadium is still using crappy scoreboards. I know that during the rugby league final they put screens in the corners of the south stand but this reduces capacity. Is there any reason why they couldn't just hang them under the roof on the west and east stands, or incorporate them into those roofs like at White Harte Lane?
Hanging down or Incorporating, no the roof slopes down and it would cover the pitch.

Personally, I would rather watch the match..if you want to watch telly stay at home or clear off for a drink & pie with 15mins to go in the half.

Nah, I like the brooding stands...it most scares the opposition...hence we have the best home record in European football.(check how many defeats!)
TheFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1762
chrisbramley85
www.myspace.com/50caliber

Likes (Received): 2

if united wanted to expand the south stand then surely they WOULD have to purchase the houses next to railway line. i looking at a few ariel pictures they would be able to bridge over the railway and add another tier to the south stand withouth demolishing the houses but they would have to build on the houses gardens. and lets face it who would want to buy a house without a back garden?

they should buy those houses, knock em all down and do whichever is cheaper between adding another tier or knocking it down and rebuilding the whole stand (forgive my nievity in these matters my field of expertise is nursing not construction!!)
chrisbramley85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM   #1763
TheFly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbramley85 View Post
if united wanted to expand the south stand then surely they WOULD have to purchase the houses next to railway line. i looking at a few ariel pictures they would be able to bridge over the railway and add another tier to the south stand withouth demolishing the houses but they would have to build on the houses gardens. and lets face it who would want to buy a house without a back garden?

they should buy those houses, knock em all down and do whichever is cheaper between adding another tier or knocking it down and rebuilding the whole stand (forgive my nievity in these matters my field of expertise is nursing not construction!!)
The necessary access routers through those houses have already been purchased and demolished.

Personally I think the project is good to go, whenever the funds/attendances future dictates.

Best guess....2018 bid..in 3 months if the bid is successful then United will get a grant (1966, 1995 precedents) to part-fund the expansion.

So...next Spring announcement of the plans? Conostruction would be in 2014,2015 or 2016? Takes one year (North Stand example)?

It will happen, just a question of when.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #1764
chrisbramley85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
The necessary access routers through those houses have already been purchased and demolished.

Personally I think the project is good to go, whenever the funds/attendances future dictates.

Best guess....2018 bid..in 3 months if the bid is successful then United will get a grant (1966, 1995 precedents) to part-fund the expansion.

So...next Spring announcement of the plans? Conostruction would be in 2014,2015 or 2016? Takes one year (North Stand example)?

aaaaaaah, so theyve got the space now to do it, but its just the means i suppose.

good luck to united. as a rovers fan id love our riverside stand to be knocked down and have a matching stand put in to make ewood match on all sides, but given we rarely have the ground at capacity it clearly not worth the money, but i rekon united could easily add another 10/20,000 to their gates if not a lot more
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1765
johnnycakes

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
aaaaaaah, so theyve got the space now to do it, but its just the means i suppose.

good luck to united. as a rovers fan id love our riverside stand to be knocked down and have a matching stand put in to make ewood match on all sides, but given we rarely have the ground at capacity it clearly not worth the money, but i rekon united could easily add another 10/20,000 to their gates if not a lot more
depends on the opposition and ticket prices.
johnnycakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #1766
chrisbramley85

im sure if united upped their capacity by that much they could at the very least reduce their season ticket waiting list by quite a few thousand
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1767
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post

I'm guessing not with the Glazers in charge but perhaps soon afterwards if a new owner whats to put their stamp on the club.

If it does happen then I don't see them replicating the north stand. That design was afterall never intended to be joined up into a bowl and took alot of fiddly work with the quads to join things up. The more logical devolpment clearly seems to be to wrap the 2 tier ends around to the south stand.

The real focus of an redevolpment would IMHO be the corperate/luxury market aswell rather than going for maximum capacity. I don't know the exact deatilas but I'm betting a large part of the reason why Arsenal have surpassed you in matchday income is that the Emirates caters to that market better.

A two tier south stand wrapped around to the sides with the lower part of the second teir as luxury seats and a ton of luxury facilties giving a capacity around 85-88Ks is what I'd expect to see
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #1768
chrisbramley85

so whats the deal with the north stand then?

was it meant to be completely different? or did they not look far enough into the future and just erected a stand that meant more work would be needed if they wanted to expand afterwards?
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1769
TheFly
BANNED

Quote:
so whats the deal with the north stand then?

was it meant to be completely different? or did they not look far enough into the future and just erected a stand that meant more work would be needed if they wanted to expand afterwards?
The xtra 5,000 seats on the 3rd tier are monumentally high up, something like 180foot up. The stand was built with the aid of a grant for Euro 1996 so maybe United used that cash and chucked another deck on top?

They really should replicate the stand size on the south side because it is a truly huge structure. I remember it going up and the massive cranes, without the roof you got an idea of the scale of the structure, something the roof now hides. From the pitch on a Euro night it must look awesome.
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #1770
chrisbramley85

yeah the roof does hide just how big that stand is. i mean it looks pretty impressive as it is but if it was a flat roof it would look immense!

it would have looked pretty amazing if they had have kept a flat roof so that it looked the same as it did in the 90s, essentially just added another tier all the way round.

whenever they do decide to up the capacity tho, ive no doubt it will look damn impressive!
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #1771
chrisbramley85

if theyd added a tier or 2 all the way around and basically made the old ground higher it would have looked quality!! it does know IMO but on here ive seen a lot of people moan about how the stands look unevern n all that but like i always say, grounds that arent completely uniform all the way round seem to have much more soul than modern bowls.

i rekon old trafford was probably the last bowl ground with character as it was added to over the years rather than built from scratch
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #1772
anneajx37
BANNED

Post juicy couture belts sale

Shop Juicy Couture & More Online: Find New Summer Favorites Now!wholesale juicy couture belts Cheap Juicy belts Replica discount Juicy Couture belts Deals on Juicy Couture Belts.Theyre happening Now at ajxwholesale.net.Wholesale Juicy Couture belts 2008 - Discount swimsuits from Cheap Juicy Couture belts Click on any photo below to see more belts styles from that group. We Offer 2,500+ Charms. Explore juicy couture belts. Discount Juicy Clothing Designer Clothing At Bargain Prices Online! Juicy Couture belts sale Below Bargains Low Prices where can i find cheap name Juicy Couture belts brand Clothes?
anneajx37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #1773
johnnycakes

Quote:
im sure if united upped their capacity by that much they could at the very least reduce their season ticket waiting list by quite a few thousand
there is no waiting list....you can still buy season tickets.
As for the stadium development since 93,there seemed to be no long term plan for the stadium,it was 'we'll build the north stand and that'll be enough seats....oh we still need more seats...we'll do both ends and that'll be enough...oh right,still not big enough,we'll link up the corners....but they dont link up properly,the gradiants are different...oh well,that'll do for now anyway'.

the north stand should have been part1 of a long term plan rather than making do.
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #1774
tradekhtk

I like nfl jerseys

I want to wear the NFL jerseys on the pitch to run!!!
tradekhtk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #1775
Schmeek

Why can't find any photos of the North stand construcion anywhere?
It's like one day it just magically appeared.
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #1776
johnnycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycakes View Post
the north stand when it was demolished in 1995,the only bits that remained were F stand and J stand

there ya go.
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #1777
johnnycakes

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5781223_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...2_657309_n.jpg
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #1778
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:

if theyd added a tier or 2 all the way around and basically made the old ground higher it would have looked quality!! it does know IMO but on here ive seen a lot of people moan about how the stands look unevern n all that but like i always say, grounds that arent completely uniform all the way round seem to have much more soul than modern bowls.

i rekon old trafford was probably the last bowl ground with character as it was added to over the years rather than built from scratch
It was only a bowl for a very short space of time. The Stretford End was, as well as being a terrace, a very different looking structure due to its odd roof. The end was only seated in 1993, and the whole stadium in 1994. Just a year later they demolished one side to make way for the new 25,000 seat stand.

So in all, it was only a bowl for a year, and then in an era when bowls were still, if not non-existent in the country. The Riverside didn't open until 1995, which was the first newly built stadium built here with the "plain single tier on at least 3 sides" look that's come to symbolise the bland conformity of modern stadium design.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #1779
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 100

How come the original capacity of Old Trafford was 80,000 yet it was never filled up to that capacity because the attendance record was around 76,900?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1780
khodri
BANNED

nice stadium.!! awsome.!! amazing!!

lets check our stadium projecy in indonesia

visit us

national stadium Indonesia

Indonesiam stadium

other nice stadium

peace world!