daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Islamabad Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:24 AM   #1
Techno-Architect
BANNED

Likes (Received): 176

Talking G-8 | CDA Headquarter Building

Designed by: Arch. Ejaz Ahed [Ahed & Assosiaties]
Client: Capital Development Authority [CDA]
Contractors:
Plot size: 800’ x 280’
Height: +150’
No. of Blocks: 6-8
Office Floors: Variable
Parking Floors: 10 Storey Block
Location: Mauve Area, Shahrah-e-Aiwan-e-Sanat-O-Tijarat, G-8/4, Islamabad

Rendering – Front Elevation

The Jury declared the design prepared by Ar. Ejaz Ahed as the winning entry for an Architectural Design Competition for CDA Headquarter Building in Islamabad which was duly organized by the Pakistan Council of Architects and
Town Planners in accordance wilh the Gazetted PCATP Competition Regulations. In this One-Stage competition for Architects registered with the PCATP, Ar. Nasir Iqbal's design secured 2nd position whereas Ar. Habib Fida Ali's stood 3rd among 7 designs submitted by the pre-qualified architectural firms.

The theme of the new CDA Headquarter Building was set as a search for " Authenticity and Identity ". This project generated a chance for architect to go beyond mere functionality and explore the dimensions, from which a meaningful architecture emerges. CDA envisaged a design, which makes a worth Architectural and Intellectual contribution to the
city of Islamabad.

The aim of the competition was not just to get a functionally correct solution, but also to involve architects in a visual dialogue, which goes beyond conventional market approach, and leads to an authentic and
valid solution in the context of Islamabad and Pakistan. The location of the project, near zero point, makes it further symbolic as it is placed at the entry gate to Islamabad.

In response to the Invitation extended by the Capital Development Authority (CDA) in May 2005 to participate in the Design Competition for its Headquarter Building on a plot measuring 800' x 280' (24,889 Sq.Yds.) in Islamabad, 24 firms applied and nine out of them were short listed as per the criteria set by the Jury Members. Two firms declined their participation later on and thus PCATP received seven entries altogether which includes:

1. Ar. Ejaz Ahed of Mis Ahed Associates
2. Ar. Amir Ali Qamar of Mis Amir.Ali Qamar
3. Ar. Habib Fida Ali of MIs Habib Fida Ali
4. Ar. M. A. Moktader of Mis Naqvi & Siddiqui Associates 5. Ar. Nasir Iqbal. of Mis Nasir's Design
6. Ar. Naveed Aslam of MIs Naveed Aslam & Associates (declined)
7. Ar. Asad I. A. Khan of MIs NESPAK (Pvt.) Ltd.
8. Ar. Sikandar Ajam Khan of MIs Siknadar Ajam Associates (declined)
9. Ar. Tariq A. Qaiser of MIs TAQ Associates (Pvt.) Ltd.

A jury of assessors comprising of the representatives of CDA and PCATP regulated the Pre-qualification and competition process including following members:
(a) Promoter's Representatives

1. Brig. Nusratullah, Member,
Planning and. Design, CDA
2. Mr. Mustafa Kamal Pasha, Deputy Director General, Planning CDA
3. Mr. M. Tahir Banuri, Director, . Architecture, Design Work, CDA

(b) Advisor

Ar. Shahab Ghani Khan, Chairman, PCATP

(c) Professional Representatives

1. Ar. Syed Akeel Bilgrami
2. Ar. Suhail Abbasi
3. Ar. Muhammad Arshad
4. Ar. Abdul Qayyum Khan

Whereas Ar.! Tahira Sadia Fazli served as the Coordinator I SecretaIy to the JUlY.

Initially the submission of the design was scheduled for Nov 11, 2005 which was later on extended till January 18, 2006 due to the earthquake calamity that hit up northern part of Pakistan in early October 2005. The judging of all entries to the competition was carried out anonymously in order to ensure the transparency of the process.

The wining design was awarded Rs. 200,000/- and next two received Rs. 100,000/- each. All Pre-qualified Architects Architectural Firms who participated in the Competition were also awarded Rs. 50,000/- each.

All References taken from ‘Archi Times Jan 2006’

Last edited by Techno-Architect; May 2nd, 2006 at 01:30 AM.
Techno-Architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:25 AM   #2
Techno-Architect
BANNED

Arrow Design Proposalz

Arch. Ejaz Ahed

Winner - Arch. Ejaz Ahed Design

Perspective View

View From Zero Point

Views

Bird Eye View

Roof Plan

Front Elevation

Rear Elevation

Left Side Elevation

Right Side Elevation

2nd Prize
Arch Nasir Iqbal Design

Perspective

Front Elevation

Bird Eye View

Interior View 1

Interior View 2

Interior View 3

3rd Prize
Arch. Habib Fida Ali Design

Perspective

Front Elevation

Other Proposals for the projects

Amir Ali Qamar Design

Asad I. Khan Design

Front Elevation

Roof Plan
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:42 AM   #3
mirzathe

Likes (Received): 3

Well I as far as my opinion goes the 2nd one is better and the 3rd is just like a few match boxes.
mirzathe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:12 AM   #4
merijanpakistan
We need Malcolm X

Likes (Received): 28

Salam,

Now, that is one beautiful design. It may be a low-rise, but it gives a sense of beauty, cleanliness and organization.

I'm impressed with the first design.

Peace.

Zero Political Repression
Zero Social Discrimination
Zero Economic Exploitation
Zero Environmental Extortion
merijanpakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:09 AM   #5
asfar
-----

Likes (Received): 41

same here im also impressed by the first design...the second design is also good...but the first one has the islamabad touch ....nature freindly
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM   #6
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 326

Wow! awesome design by Mr Ejaz Ahed!
invokes classicism of the old world and modernism of the new world both at the same time!
would be a wonderful building for Islamabad.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:33 PM   #7
Zulqi Pak

Likes (Received): 14

Great design. I like both the first and second design. I wish there were more designs like these being structured in Pakistan.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Zulqi Pak

Likes (Received): 14

When are they planning to start the construction? Any idea?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM   #9
ahmed_s

Likes (Received): 19

the first one is just awful...whats with the brown patches? what really gets to me is why they didnt keep the second one..thats just stunning!
ahmed_s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #10
Techno-Architect
BANNED

No idea about the construction right now, they havent planned it yet!
The brown patches is an aluminium sheet basically similar to what we mossly see as silver colour sheet on most builldings, but i think the brown one is a textured effect of brick on the AL Sheet.....!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM   #11
Techno-Architect
BANNED

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by merijanpakistan
It may be a low-rise...

It completely a high rise building with floors varying from 14 to 18/20 storeys!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:50 PM   #12
huit

Likes (Received): 181

The 2nd design is simply stunning! I really don't like the first one... I hope they change their mind and select #2 instead!
huit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM   #13
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 326

I think the first one has more character. The second one is just a steel and glass contraption. And Islamabad needs some character.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:52 AM   #14
Master Chief

Likes (Received): 1

The first one is excellent for Islamabad, it will give it more of a "Capital City" sense. It will give Islamabad an "rich" image and similar styles of building will pop-up in the capital. The second one would be excellent for Karachi or Lahore.
Master Chief no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:13 AM   #15
ABBASIA

Likes (Received): 490

I feel second design is more attractive, it should be chosen over first one.
ABBASIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM   #16
Unregistered

Likes (Received): 18

Is that the best design all of those who participated come up with? I dont know which part of that design portrays "nature" or whatever. It is so plain and boring. It conveys nothing to me personally. Just a hothc potch of straight lines and boxes coming together in a weird formation. British were designing much better buildings 100 years ago and history is witness Mughals had access to a heck of a lot more talented architects 400 odd years back, if this is all we can do. Seriously people just look at it objectively. Its hedious. If this was in some other country, we'd be making fun of it day in and day out. Its that bad.
Unregistered no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:47 PM   #17
huit

Likes (Received): 181

^ I agree! I absolutely hate it! Perhaps they should release better renderings... that (just) might convince us... the 2nd one is cool IMO.
huit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM   #18
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 1832

the designs are just about ok, but projects like these launch everyday day in london,
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:23 PM   #19
Sikandar
Iman, Ittehad, Nazm

Likes (Received): 57

The winning design has a few too many triangles and slopes for me.. if they made it just a bit more conventional I'd like it a lot more. The second one is nice in terms of structural design.. but it just doesn't have the details and personality that the first one does.
Sikandar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #20
Techno-Architect
BANNED

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Is that the best design all of those who participated come up with? I dont know which part of that design portrays "nature" or whatever. It is so plain and boring. It conveys nothing to me personally. Just a hothc potch of straight lines and boxes coming together in a weird formation. British were designing much better buildings 100 years ago and history is witness Mughals had access to a heck of a lot more talented architects 400 odd years back, if this is all we can do. Seriously people just look at it objectively. Its hedious. If this was in some other country, we'd be making fun of it day in and day out. Its that bad.
Currently there are around 2000-2500 architects in this country and out of which only a few are into multi-storey construction! Out of them, 24firms applied for the comptetion and only 9 were short listed on the basis on their experience and portfolio. And about 5 designs i have posted here....n you all can see their work....these are no ordinary firms....but still their designing certainly lacks the modernity compared to the rest of world.

Our design lack modernity and aesthetics due to a number of reasons, like technolgy, construction method and attitude, clients requirement and demands etc. But over here everyone will comment on the design aesthetics not knowing the fact that maybe the building designed properly fullfills the functional requirement of the clients or not. Compare the architecture of Norman Foster with W.S.Atkins....Foster designs are nothing compared to Atkins in aesthetics yet Foster today is worlds leading archtiect in skyscrapper...but y? Itz because the client is satisfied since all the requirement are full filled. Every architect has his own concerns while designing a building, Fosters concern is not design aesthetics but it belongs to use of technolgy and innovation in technology.

On the other hand our architect try to adopt the international styles of design yet forgetting our cultures climate and other factors. In multistorey building we are not able to produce a style that would be called something great. The design in simply psuedo. We dont innovate rather we copy and ditto copy everything. And its not architects only who r the culprits but our society too which doesnt let us come out of the copy culture.

A foreign architect would come here and place a landmark building yet does that building really suites our culture tradition and social values? Talkin about the colonial architecture. To your understanding, it took around 200 years for the Bristish to fully understand the nature and elements of architecture of the subcontinent....in their early years they tried to mix gothic, barouqe greek and roman styles into our society but those building simply look alienated cauz they were neither functionally nor aesthetically fitting into our society. Compare the example of the Tollinton market with the Lahore musuem of Lahore Highcourt.....wut it the purpose of a pitched roof in a reason of providing a pitched roof in a hot region where 8-10months u dont have rain......they only designed it cauz they lived in pitched roof bak at home......they superimposing of the style didnt work out so gradually over the years trying to understand the different factor influencing the previous architectural style such as that of Mughals, they began to use the element that suited our societies.....n that is the reason why GPO, Highcourt, Musuem give us the feel that they are somehow interlinked with both Mughalz n British......

The mughal building are so enriched cauz of the fact the buildings were made fer the emperors and not fer ordinary ppl so they had to be good. Today the function of construction and building is different, so how can u compare a Mughal building with a office building in modern era?

Agreeing to some extent on current style of architecture, i would say that there is not much of innovation goin on although we have very talented ppl today aswell but due to numerous factors restriction and setbaks we have not been able to generate architecture that would represent the time and culture of the area inwhich it is being built in!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: