daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #5481
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14346

God Bless Japan.

Discover Ukraine - The vibrant country: https://youtu.be/Pu8tL3ptXRM and Kyiv - The city of many faces: on SSC
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #5482
ardamir

Likes (Received): 524

Thank god Japan has some of the best engineers in the world.
ardamir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #5483
Evrasia 99911
Оленятинка!

Likes (Received): 35672

Oh my God!
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #5484
Kynareth

Likes (Received): 20

Luckily for the ingeniously and modernly built Sky Tree nothing happened
I saw it still standing firmly on a video in the background.
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5485
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

only tokyo airport is affected by the flood. because the tower is nearly finished i do not think it will be slowed down by what happened, but still most important is help for all the victims of course
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #5486
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

japan needs more sky trees, when their cities get flooded they can live there

bless you
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #5487
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

I would have hated to be working on that tower when the earthquake hit. The news showed footage of some cranes shaking in Tokyo, I think they were from the tower being built next to this one. Crazy.
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #5488
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

WOW. My thoughts go to people in japan who may know others that died. Im sorry. Thank god japan is incredibly well prepared and ENGINEERED
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #5489
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

Does the mast actually contain a tuned mass damper, or just some static weights, or just heavy equipment? What is the actual stabilizing mechanism?

Prayers for Japan...
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #5490
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
OMG starting at 3:00!
Oh... Yeah!!
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5491
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
Does the mast actually contain a tuned mass damper, or just some static weights, or just heavy equipment? What is the actual stabilizing mechanism?

Prayers for Japan...
There are 2 tuned mass dampers in the top of the spire.

However since the spire has not reached its full height yet perhaps they are not "tuned" for the current situation. Maybe someone here who's an engineer can explain it better.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #5492
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9055

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynngd View Post
really??? that's your question???

I hope everything will be OK in Japan... The Pacific Plate is in motion these past few months...
Check again. My father works in Japan, and heard nothing from him for long-long hours... But still, this thread is about the Sky Tree! This of course doesn't mean I don't give a fxck about Japanese people... Idiot...

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #5493
MattSid
Anti-Catholic User

Likes (Received): 578

That's a Skyscraper Thread, not the Wailing Wall, can we come back on topic?
MattSid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #5494
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61200

It's a bit too soon after the quake to expect that this thread will just to go back to the talk about the construction only.

Although I have already seen new picture updates, some in relation with the events that are happening on the streets of Tokyo right now. So things will return back to normal in the next few days since the damage in Tokyo is only limited.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #5495
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
Tokyo did not just build this thing out of nowhere for nothing. They've got some other supertall ideas up their sleeve. I know they had trouble with reception earlier, but look at how tiny those buildings around it are compared to it! This is more than they needed for what they have now; they are planning for the future.

Look at those last few pictures above my post, that thing is out of this world with the rest of the skyline. There is no skyline after that thing. It makes those other buildings look like they're 5 stories tall.
And right after I post that the subject matter makes an abrupt change. I feel bad for countries like Japan that are trying hard to westernize but have things out of their power like the most powerful earthquakes on record. I have already seen one picture of a burning building in Japan. However, as bad as this stuff is, it helps them to rebuild because the major, well-built things are not affected. It bumps the demolition process of older stuff along, but unfortunately claims lives in the process.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #5496
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

MattSid wrote:
Quote:
That sounds pretty cold considering the fact that this is the worst earthquake in Japanese recorded history and it will definitely affect this project if that's all that's on your mind. From news reports I've been watching it would appear that all forms of transportation have been affected and of course the priority in Japan right now is to respond to those in need of help, especially people who are trapped under rubble. It just seems that any construction project is far less important than recovering from this catastrophe so I would expect long delays although our Japanese members can inform us about what is happening. Best wishes and good luck to all of our Japanese friends.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #5497
dajumper
status imminent

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
And right after I post that the subject matter makes an abrupt change. I feel bad for countries like Japan that are trying hard to westernize but have things out of their power like the most powerful earthquakes on record. I have already seen one picture of a burning building in Japan. However, as bad as this stuff is, it helps them to rebuild because the major, well-built things are not affected. It bumps the demolition process of older stuff along, but unfortunately claims lives in the process.

Are you for real? You make Japan sound like a developing country - it is one of the world's richest. Countries that are prone to more serious natural disasters are unavoidable due to their geographical location. Hence the lack of taller skyscrapers. However, we can see progress and improved technology on buildings to withstand/lessen the effects of earthquakes. Tsunami defences is another issue to tackle.

Btw, the proper term used is "modernise" not "westernise". Japan is not trying to be like Europe or North America.

Last edited by dajumper; March 12th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
dajumper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #5498
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSid View Post
Wow, grow a heart man. This is a 8.9 Richter Scale Earthquake. This is Japan's only supertall and a perfect place for the SSC community to spread they're best wishes for the ailing Japan.

My father is in Nagano, however he said they barely felt the earthquake, some 400km away.
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #5499
MattSid
Anti-Catholic User

Likes (Received): 578

I was just expressing my adversity against those type of encouraging- "pointless" messages. Of course I'm really sad too about what's happened, but I don't find appropriete to use this Thread for express only my feelings in a mostly off topic context.
MattSid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #5500
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSid View Post
I was just expressing my adversity against those type of encouraging- "pointless" messages. Of course I'm really sad too about what's happened, but I don't find appropriete to use this Thread for express only my feelings in a mostly off topic context.
Oh, shutup. How is expressing sympathy off topic? What else could you possibly expect in this thread at this time? Construction updates? Wake up.
connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, supertall, tokyo, tokyo sky tree