daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5561
Lad 2011

Likes (Received): 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselle View Post
This could well and truly finish Japan for good
Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #5562
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

I'm not convinced so far. News channels love to jump on the nuclear-scare bandwagon. If the containment vessel of the core hasn't been ruptured, there's no reason to believe that there will be long term fallout.
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5563
Lad 2011

Likes (Received): 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAdrian View Post
I'm not convinced so far. News channels love to jump on the nuclear-scare bandwagon. If the containment vessel of the core hasn't been ruptured, there's no reason to believe that there will be long term fallout.
I think it's rather the opposite, i believe this is much worser than it's made out to be.
Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #5564
dajumper
status imminent

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the puffy cat View Post
Mate, get some fu#$ing perspective, there's plenty of time to talk about concrete and steel, I think we can spare a few posts talking about a catastrophe that Japan has suffered and wishing the best for the brave people of Japan

I totally agree!
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #5565
dieselle

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Moreover, the IAEA said Tuesday that an explosion Monday at the plant, this one within Unit 2, "may have affected the integrity of its primary containment vessel." That means radioactivity could be leaking from the containment vessel.
dieselle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #5566
REAPER666 94
Reaper

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad 2011 View Post
I think it's rather the opposite, i believe this is much worser than it's made out to be.
I agree
REAPER666 94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #5567
Genex

Likes (Received): 5

I notice the height is now 625m and the webcam is running at http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/english/

The cranes do not seem to be moving.
Genex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #5568
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
The containment vessel of reactor 2 has a good possibility of being compromised. And the spent fuel rods in reactor 4, which don't have any containment vessel, were likely burning today. So there is good reason to believe in the potential danger of long-term fallout. Of course you can't just see cancer or other long-term effects. They are generally proven many years after the fact, with epidemiological studies.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #5569
skytreefan

Likes (Received): 0

they are telling us here that we have nothing to worry about the radiation will not travel 5000 mi. , but all of the stores that have iodine are sold out and the incident slowly becomes worse . the america syndrome may be happening! and no one has the balls to tell us. oh, the center column vibration control design seams to be very good solution to earthquakes of great magnitude!

Last edited by skytreefan; March 16th, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
skytreefan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #5570
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

This is Sky Tree thread.....?
and 2....
I am no nuclear scientist but there is far more to worry about in Japan. With much respect...you have just gone through a terrible earthquake and tsunami causing more death and destruction than any of this Nuclear talk deserves. The Power stations automatically shut down when the earthquake struck. Only the height of the Tsunami caused the further problem of the backup power for cooling systems......the explosions have mainly been Hydrogen explosions outside the reactors from Chemical reaction and gases from the use of sea water to cool the reactor cores.....Every hour and day that passes they will become safer..not more dangerous....If the worst case scenario happened the reactors would have blown up on the first day.....So......even though it's not as sensational news....keep thinking of your loved ones and recovering your life as soon as possible My thoughts and hopes are with you all.........I would be happy for Australia to go Nuclear Energy.
I just post this here to Japanese people because you don't need more things to worry about than you already have.

Last edited by redbaron_012; March 18th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #5571
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

i think its gonna be a while before we can get any updates about the sky tree because of the nuclear threat everyone must be indoors and defiantly not working on the tower so it may not rise for a while

charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #5572
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Just let everyone talk off topic for a while, there is no on topic news anyway.
In other topics there musn't be to much off topic chatter because than there will be less attention for the on topic posts. And this irritates the people who are looking for information about certain buildings. But in this case, there won't be any new construction updates soon, so I think it's ok to talk off topic for some time now until the construction resumes and the crisis is more or less over.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales

King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #5573
LexISguy

Likes (Received): 214

Has construction halted on the tower until further notice?

LexISguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #5574
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 49

LexISguy wrote:
Quote:
Has construction halted on the tower until further notice?
I just read on the news that even Toyota is halting production at their assembly plants until at least next week. I can't imagine much of anything will be done on the Sky Tree for some time. The main roads are only being used for vehicles that have permits who are doing vital work related to the multiple disasters according to what I saw on CNN last night. Of course the top priority is the nuclear situation and many in the news business have suggested that the reason that they're getting such sketchy or even conflicting information is that the authorities themselves don't even know the extent of the damage or how bad it's going to get.
You've got to give credit to the Japanese people who remain orderly and just try to help each other out. There has been no looting, crime or people acting irresponsibly. It that had happened here in the US I suspect that all of those things would be happening.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #5575
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 60991

Work status update (03/16).

- In the morning load-testing was done one of the cranes, later on the day all work with the cranes was halted because of the strong winds. Work on the surrounding buildings continued as normal.

- The construction work won't be affected by the scheduled power rationing until the 18th.

- There are plenty of construction pictures out there. It's completely safe to go outdoors in Tokyo right now because of the wind direction. The radiation levels are still at a level that can be considered as background radiation.

The problem with the whole nuclear situation is that we don't know what is normal in this kind of situation because there hasn't been a situation exactly like this before. That makes it's scary because it's deadly radiation together with the uncertainty.

03/16 pictures.

/http://512colors.blog120.fc2.com/
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #5576
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

nice to see the project is still a go and not halted. it has only a few meters to go anyways and although we are all in shock the economy cant stand still although some giants in the car industry are already, and of course the lives of the people and the health is now most important

ps. thank you for the updates momo, i hope you, your family and friends will all do well and fukushima will turn out the best it can. best wishes from germany, we are all with you
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #5577
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Awesome looking building!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #5578
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 60991

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
nice to see the project is still a go and not halted. it has only a few meters to go anyways and although we are all in shock the economy cant stand still although some giants in the car industry are already, and of course the lives of the people and the health is now most important

ps. thank you for the updates momo, i hope you, your family and friends will all do well and fukushima will turn out the best it can. best wishes from germany, we are all with you
I'll be fine here in Holland. You don't have to worry about me, but thanks anyway.

And as long as it safe to work and there are enough building materials there's no reason to stop work. The car industry is different, you can't go on if a certain part is missing. And nobody is buying cars in Japan right now, the whole production simply has to go down because of the lack of domestic demand.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #5579
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
I'll be fine here in Holland. You don't have to worry about me, but thanks anyway.

And as long as it safe to work and there are enough building materials there's no reason to stop work. The car industry is different, you can't go on if a certain part is missing. And nobody is buying cars in Japan right now, the whole production simply has to go down because of the lack of domestic demand.
The Japanese may not be buying cars, but the Chinese sure are.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #5580
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Yeah I guess it's not exactly the streets crowded with bicycles and pedestrians scene over there anymore.

I sure wish oil would run out, god I wish it already had, before electric cars are standardized. I would love empty roads, I would stand on my frame and fly down 95 with my arms in the air and say **** you old exorbitant way of life. How many joules do you waste to move your lazy ass around plus an unesessary 2500 lbs? Hahaha! no longer will you upholster this wasteful, loud, rude, pretentious lifestyle.

Last edited by Miami High Rise; March 17th, 2011 at 07:31 AM.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, supertall, tokyo, tokyo sky tree