daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #661
King-Krunch
:-)

Likes (Received): 50

Nice progress on this one
King-Krunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #662
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
I guess there is planning for a train station near? I see railway tracks.
Even better, there are already 2 train/metro stations right next to the building site. Some of the updates are shot from the platform of one of them, the Narihirabashi Station on the Tobu Isesaki Line. But that's just a small station with no direct connection into the city. On the other side of the site there's Oshiage Station that has 2 metro lines and 2 railway lines with direct connections to the city. So there's no real need for a new railway station, maybe they will just give them an upgrade or just a refurbishment when the tower is finished.

No new updates yet, the blogs are quiet.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM   #663
SeriaLK
Latin Native American

Likes (Received): 1470

Don't like it.
Its like a modern eiffel tower but without elegance. The good point is the height, but nothing impressive imho.

Tokio deserve something much better.
SeriaLK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM   #664
felipevarig787
Barueri hoje Dubai amanha

Likes (Received): 2

It's the new tower eiffel ....but modern....

I liked it
felipevarig787 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #665
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

This is not a modern Eiffel Tower!!!!!!!!! It looks nothing like it and its purpose is completely different. Sky Tree is primarily a broadcasting tower and secondarily a tourist spot with observation decks and restaurants. The Eiffel Tower was never even intended to stay up beyond a year and was actually part of a World's Fair. Gustav Eiffel never intended it to be a broadcast tower (no one even knew what broadcasts were back then).

Is the Ostankino Tower a modern Eiffel Tower just because it's a tower? Is the Space Needle a modern Eiffel Tower just because it's a tower? Is the CN Tower a modern Eiffel Tower just because it's a tower? NO!

I mean, that's like saying that the Burj Dubai is a copy of the Home Insurance Building in Chicago (the world's first skyscraper, 10 stories tall), just because they are both skyscrapers. Or it's like saying the aeroplane is a copy of the automobile because it is also a form of transportation fueled by gasoline.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM   #666
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

1/23 update:

just a small pic of the recent growth of the surrounding buildings.

[IMG]http://i43.************/280nkgn.jpg[/IMG]
source: www.affiliatenet.jp
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:41 PM   #667
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
This is not a modern Eiffel Tower!!!!!!!!! It looks nothing like it and its purpose is completely different. Sky Tree is primarily a broadcasting tower and secondarily a tourist spot with observation decks and restaurants. The Eiffel Tower was never even intended to stay up beyond a year and was actually part of a World's Fair. Gustav Eiffel never intended it to be a broadcast tower (no one even knew what broadcasts were back then).

Is the Ostankino Tower a modern Eiffel Tower just because it's a tower? Is the Space Needle a modern Eiffel Tower just because it's a tower? Is the CN Tower a modern Eiffel Tower just because it's a tower? NO!

I mean, that's like saying that the Burj Dubai is a copy of the Home Insurance Building in Chicago (the world's first skyscraper, 10 stories tall), just because they are both skyscrapers. Or it's like saying the aeroplane is a copy of the automobile because it is also a form of transportation fueled by gasoline.
Don't get your panties in a bunch. The casual ressemblance to the Eiffel is obvious. The only person with a reality problem is you with your ridiculous comparisons.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM   #668
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

The problem is that people only look at the first page and the last page of this thread and on the 1st page they see some pictures. The tower in those pictures has indeed some resemblance with the Eiffeltower. But that pictures show an old design that is not being build. The new design that is now under construction starts of as a triangle at the base and becomes more round higher up.

This really doesn't look like the Eiffeltower.

[IMG]http://i41.************/4fwj6r.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/2di3orm.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM   #669
dreadathecontrols
unregistered

Likes (Received): 46

gotta say it.its mega
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:23 PM   #670
Krattle

NOTE: Stop looking at the first page, or at least someone remove the pics from the first page because that is NOT the approved design. It was rejected and now a completely different tower is being built.

The Eiffel Tower was never intended to be anything except an exhibit. It was not meant to be a broadcast tower, an observation deck, or tourist spot. It became all three in time. The Sky Tree, on the other hand, is intended to be all three FROM THE BEGINNING.

Here is my exhaustive comparison of the two.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The only similarities are: 1) exoskeleton, but this doesn't count because almost every single tower in the world has an exoskeleton and, 2) four legs - I hardly think THIS is worthy of being called plagiarism.

Note that the two decks on the Tokyo Tower are situated in the top half of the tower whereas the Eiffel Tower's decks are in the lower half of the tower. Also note that the Eiffel Tower actually has a third, very small deck at the very top. There is no corresponding deck on the Sky Tree. The Eiffel Tower has a large gap in the exoskeleton between the first and second decks. There are NO GAPS AT ALL in the exoskeleton of the Sky Tree, save the arches at the bottom.

These two towers have about a 10% similarity. But that can be said of most towers and skyscrapers in the world.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM   #671
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

The Sky Tree only has 3 legs, so there are even less similarities.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM   #672
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Why anyone even cares if this project is similar to Eiffel tower? I mean, it has nothing to do with it, its an innovative design and Tokyo tower already is similar to its French relative to begin with.
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM   #673
Krattle

That's the thing, it isn't similar at all yet tons of people keep thinking and saying it is. I'm trying to get them to realize this.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM   #674
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Does anybody know what type of technology will be used to make this tower earthquake resistant?

I wonder how strong this building will be, when having to hold up to an 8+ earthquake (on the richter scale). The will probably use base isolation, and tuned mass dampners.

This will probably be one of the "strongest" built structures in Japan period!

Oh I forgot to add... This looks NOTHING like the Eiffel Tower!
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #675
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 986

How's this tower going?
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #676
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown View Post
How's this tower going?
Check out the previous page and see for yourself.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #677
Asunarocks

Likes (Received): 6

Impressive amount of work done since I last checked!

I think the Sky Tree has mass dampners but I cant remember seeing anything about Base Isolation, can someone check out the earthquake protection on the blogs please?

Will the Sky Tree herald the way for taller inhabited buildings in Tokyo, or even with the latest technology will they still be kept quite short due to earthquake concerns?
Asunarocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #678
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
Does anybody know what type of technology will be used to make this tower earthquake resistant?

I wonder how strong this building will be, when having to hold up to an 8+ earthquake (on the richter scale). The will probably use base isolation, and tuned mass dampners.

This will probably be one of the "strongest" built structures in Japan period!

Oh I forgot to add... This looks NOTHING like the Eiffel Tower!
alien technology ... there will be nothing special ..anybody can build a tower to withstand 8-10 Richter scale earthquake ..and yes the technology is more than 20 years old
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #679
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
will they still be kept quite short due to earthquake concerns?
The Taipei 101 is earthquake proof. I believe in fact that the taller a building is, the less affected by earthquakes it becomes... I suspect if there is a reason for a relative absence of supertalls in Tokyo it's likely to be the ground conditions. Like London, for instance, which sits on a deep bed of clay. Manhattan, by contrast, sits on a nice hard granite base that's very close to the surface - one of the reasons that skyscrapers became prevalent there.
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #680
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6268

different earthquake intensities collapse different heights of buildings, for example the Mexico City one targetted midrises specifically and left lowrise and highrises untouched, whereas the Sichuan earthquake levelled lowrises. There are quakes that target highrises too, but thankfully that hasnt happened yet in a highrise area.

Most 'earthquake proof' buildings are built to withstand up to 7.8 tremors only. For example the Sichuan one was 8.0, twice the intensity and power of 7.8 (the Richter scale climbs exponentially).

Although Tokyo has the largest average building size of any city (many of its skyscrapers are about the size of the Sears Tower in floorspace, yet less than half as tall), its strict height limits ensure that they dont reach much past 650ft. Tokyo buildings thus tend to be hugely bulky and appear squat - in NYC or HK they would be twice as thin and twice as high, if it weren't for the earthquake risk, and the city would have the most skyscrapers in the world.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; January 24th, 2009 at 05:38 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, supertall, tokyo, tokyo sky tree