daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #1561
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

Kinda looks like Shun Hing Square reflection ;-)
singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1562
harry·chao

Likes (Received): 583

Last edited by z0rg; August 28th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
harry·chao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #1563
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1145

This is a masterpiece.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #1564
harry·chao

Old August 29th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #1565
harry·chao

someother pics of SZ

Old August 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #1566
harry·chao

Old August 29th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1567
lianli

Likes (Received): 93

Thanks for sharing those great pics of SZ!
With Ping'An and those other U/C supertalls this will be a truly world class skyline.
lianli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1568
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

It already is one of the greatest skylines in the world. The only "problem" is that Shenzhen (as well as a bunch of other Chinese cities, not least Guangzhou) are very little known in the rest of the world. Many people do not realize that Shenzhen or Guangzhou, for instance, have world-class transport and other infrastructure far superior to most other "global cities". Same goes for skylines. It will take time. Especilly since we're not talking just of Shenzhen but perhaps another dozen or so Chinese cities which literally have their world-class skylines with some of the most amazing supertall skyscrapers U/C as we speak. I bet even in China not everyone is aware what is happening, say in Tianjin (Binhai CBD) or Shenzhen (Qianhai) which are building projects unprecedented in world history by their scale and ambition.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #1569
SWFC fan
like a whisper...

Likes (Received): 46

It totally dominates the skyline. Quite imposing.

~My Hand-Drawn Fictional Model City~
SWFC fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #1570
lianli

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

It already is one of the greatest skylines in the world. The only "problem" is that Shenzhen (as well as a bunch of other Chinese cities, not least Guangzhou) are very little known in the rest of the world. Many people do not realize that Shenzhen or Guangzhou, for instance, have world-class transport and other infrastructure far superior to most other "global cities". Same goes for skylines. It will take time. Especilly since we're not talking just of Shenzhen but perhaps another dozen or so Chinese cities which literally have their world-class skylines with some of the most amazing supertall skyscrapers U/C as we speak. I bet even in China not everyone is aware what is happening, say in Tianjin (Binhai CBD) or Shenzhen (Qianhai) which are building projects unprecedented in world history by their scale and ambition.
By world class skyline I meant a skyline on par with NYC, HK, SH and CHI. SZ still has some gaps in it's skyline, but no doubt it's already superior to most of the skylines in the world (but still behind the cities I mentioned above).
I'm sure the time will come, when the average westerner knows more Chinese cities than Beijing, Shanghai or HK.
lianli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1571
3tmk
Rusty Robot

World-class.

Would steal the show in skylines around the world.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1572
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianli View Post
By world class skyline I meant a skyline on par with NYC, HK, SH and CHI. SZ still has some gaps in it's skyline, but no doubt it's already superior to most of the skylines in the world (but still behind the cities I mentioned above).
I'm sure the time will come, when the average westerner knows more Chinese cities than Beijing, Shanghai or HK.
It's hard to be categoric on this one. Personally i don't find, say, NYC skyline exceptinal if I wouldn't know it's NYC (without the WTC twin towers, anyway). It's mostly the perception of a known city, an "icon", rather than actual image of the skyline. Maybe Hong Kong has the edge there due to it's nice natural setting. But if you call Chicago, NYC and the likes "world class" skylines (which, I agree, they are), then technically so is Shenzhen. Only because Kingkey 100 or Shun Hing is less known than ESB or Willis Tower it doesn't mean it's less "world class" than NYC or Chicago. The correct thing to say is that Shenhen is simply less known than NYC or Chicago.

As for the "gaps"... I think this is the fate of the Chinese cities. Guangzhou is going to have at least two massive separate skylines. Shenzhen will also have at least two skylines far from each other (although at least one of them will be no smaller than that of, say, Chicago or NYC Manhattan). The single skyline idea came from medium-sized American cities (like Seattle or Houston) and overgrown megapols like NYC which use a model of urban development with a single overwhelmingly dominant city center which is not sustainable and not practical in the modern day China. China is pursuing multi-center strategy for its cities and that means multiple skylines with multiple "CBDs". This is the only way to go and that's what happening in China today.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #1573
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

probably the most elegant base i have ever seen on any supertall

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:31 AM   #1574
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

Oh come on. The building itself is very nice, but the skyline as a whole is no where NEAR world class. Shen Zhen has a BARELY better skyline than most lesser-known first tier cities... Personally, just from memory, I would rank Chong Qing and Guang Zhou higher than Shen Zhen by a long shot.

To call it WORLD class, which means a skyline that most people of the world would regconize, is a joke. ESB, Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Bank of China, Pearl of the Orient, Willis Tower... Those are the kind of icons that make a skyline world class. I highly doubt anything Shen Zhen has at this moment would have any staying power as the examples I gave.
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:25 AM   #1575
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2627

Yep, the skyline is a little boring, too plain IMHO. But the building itself is gorgeous.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:05 AM   #1576
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 172

The building is really handsome, i love the base!

Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:57 AM   #1577
harry·chao

Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM   #1578
harry·chao

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM   #1579
harry·chao

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:09 AM   #1580
Joel que

Likes (Received): 42

enter shenzhen via Luhou,one found shenzhen "boring"it do not possess the kind of cosmopolitan atmosphere and life style found in HK.
people in shenzhen there behavior and attitude more like provincial folk.in Hk it is opposite.
Joel que no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
shenzhen