daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 215 votes, 4.97 average.
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #1641
KB335ci2

Likes (Received): 1286

The Sahar Elevated Access Road - SEAR (u/c)

Crucial for the successful development of T2 is a direct road connection with the Western Express Highway (WEH). The existing connections via the Andheri Kurla Road and Sahar Road are severely congested during the day. The envisaged shift of domestic traffic to T2 requires a non-congested road connection during the daytime and evening peak traffic hours.

The elevated road is split towards the WEH, creating a Y-shape. The southern branch of this Y-shape directly connects to the WEH south of the Andheri flyover and is meant for traffic to/from the south. The northern branch connects to the WEH at the existing intersection with Sahar Road. Traffic coming from the north will have a direct link to the elevated road system, while northbound traffic will take the parallel road system next to the Andheri flyover. The two branches connecting to the WEH each consist of 2+2 lanes. The branches, upon merging, will expand to 3+3 lanes until the beginning of the forecourt of T2.

At the location where the elevated road crosses the Marol Pipeline Road, four ramps are provided to connect the road to the underlying road system. These ramps can be used to/from local destinations (and cargo traffic).

Work in progress on the SEAR near The Grand Maratha Sheraton/ Hyatt Regency Sahar

KB335ci2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1642
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB335ci2 View Post
The Sahar Elevated Access Road - SEAR (u/c)

The elevated road is split towards the WEH, creating a Y-shape. The southern branch of this Y-shape directly connects to the WEH south of the Andheri flyover and is meant for traffic to/from the south. The northern branch connects to the WEH at the existing intersection with Sahar Road. Traffic coming from the north will have a direct link to the elevated road system, while northbound traffic will take the parallel road system next to the Andheri flyover. The two branches connecting to the WEH each consist of 2+2 lanes. The branches, upon merging, will expand to 3+3 lanes until the beginning of the forecourt of T2.
i am sorry i didnt quite get this. it connects south of the flyover? where does it run? along the existing one? where does it drop on to the WEH? how does it affect traffic on the andheri flyover?

also how does the north-bound thing work? is there a diagram? that might help
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #1643
bhargavsura

KB, those are some massive updates. Any idea when will the construction get over?
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #1644
arijeetb
Arijeet

Likes (Received): 55

KB, thanks for the updates. A professional job seems to be done here with no debris outside the barricaded portion
arijeetb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1645
arijeetb
Arijeet

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir1310 View Post

By mihirsamel at 2009-07-10
awesome. Can pass off for anywhere in the west
arijeetb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #1646
bhargavsura

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijeetb View Post
KB, thanks for the updates. A professional job seems to be done here with no debris outside the barricaded portion
That's what the barricades are there for, right?
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1647
qwertyasd
India Waiting

Likes (Received): 0

wow! SEAR is progressing really fast! Good job KB. and good job L&T!
qwertyasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #1648
yashchauhan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

weird pillars!
yashchauhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #1649
qwertyasd
India Waiting

The should have an access road all the way to the Eastern Express Highway as well!
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1650
qwertyasd
India Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashchauhan View Post
weird pillars!
?? care to explain?
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #1651
Cov Boy
Cov Boy

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
i am sorry i didnt quite get this. it connects south of the flyover? where does it run? along the existing one? where does it drop on to the WEH? how does it affect traffic on the andheri flyover?

also how does the north-bound thing work? is there a diagram? that might help.
I didnt get this either.

The article was confusing for me.

Yeah a diagram would have helped with the explanation & how it links with the airport.
Cov Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #1652
european

Likes (Received): 17

GVK chief on Mumbai airport modernization

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhchtvi7iH0
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #1653
enkay

Hi, there. Good find!
After some looking, here's the full video:
http://www.tubaah.com/details.php?video_id=79426

As usual, the NDTV questioner is completely wrong about most of the things he says: Mumbai is the only airport in the world with cross runways. It handles the same amount of space as Charlotte-Douglas int'l while carrying much more traffic, etc.
Why can't our journalists spend 5 seconds to verify their claims.. ugh.
enkay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1654
KB335ci2

Thanks, Bhargav, arijeet and qwerty.

So, the SEAR begins on the WEH in an area bang in between the Santacruz (domestic airport) and Andheri flyovers. The elevated roadway runs through the airport colony, then passes over Sahar road, MIAL colony, runs along the road outside the 5-star hotels and finally, terminates at T2.

BB and Cov boy, I hope this sketch helps put things in perspective...

Last edited by KB335ci2; July 18th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #1655
Bombay Boy

ah ok, so the termination on WEH is not at the andheri flyover point (the current route for t2). cheers for that

what about northbound off the SEAR?
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #1656
KB335ci2

BB, there isn't enough space (is what they say) to build a northbound exit ramp off the SEAR, so NB motorists will have to drive south and make a U-turn at the S'cruz airport flyover.
Old July 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1657
bhargavsura

Yeah. I don't see the feasibility of adding a northbound flyover over the one coming from Bandra to the Airport road.
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1658
Bombay Boy

oh well, doesnt affect me, but i dont see why there is no space. the WEH is 12-16 lanes wide at this point
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #1659
mastboy_86

Smile

hey were did u find this latest sat image from...since its is not updated in google earth (correct me if i m wrong).

mastboy_86 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1660
Sevenfourfour

Likes (Received): 9

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkay View Post
Hi, there. Good find!
After some looking, here's the full video:
http://www.tubaah.com/details.php?video_id=79426

As usual, the NDTV questioner is completely wrong about most of the things he says: Mumbai is the only airport in the world with cross runways. It handles the same amount of space as Charlotte-Douglas int'l while carrying much more traffic, etc.
Why can't our journalists spend 5 seconds to verify their claims.. ugh.
I completely agree with you. The world over, reporters always get things wrong especially when it comes to aviation. If you listen closely he says that CLT has about the same space as BOM but with hardly the same amount of traffic! BWA HA HA HA HA. If he had taken the time to check, he would have known that CLT is the second largest hub of US Airways as well as a major port of entry, handled more than 34 million pax in 2008 (way more than BOM), has a total of 642 daily departures counting US, USX and the other airlines there (which, surprise surprise, is about the same as BOM if not a bit more), and its land area is actually about 5,000 acres.

And as for BOM being the "only airport with intersecting runways", I'm glad Sanjay Reddy set the record straight on that. ORD, DFW, DTW, JFK, LGA, MIA, SFO (which is famous for all four intersecting each other), I could go on and on with the list of airports that have intersecting runways.

On another note, thanks for posting that diagram KB. I'm wondering though if MIAL considered the option of having a second level exit ramp off the SEAR going westbound, that would loop over and come around to merge with the northbound lanes of the WEH. This exit ramp would start just before the "Y" and loop around so that those going northbound would have a more direct access instead of going south and making a u-turn. MIAL probably already did but I'm just throwing this out there, I'm guessing buildings on either side of the SEAR before the Y prevented that option.

Last edited by Sevenfourfour; July 18th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Sevenfourfour no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mumbai

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: