daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Development & Economic News

Old August 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #241
Leb10452km
Lebanese

Likes (Received): 0

so tell me again where is the " Lebanese spirit " in skybar or white, beiroof or any other club, correct me if i'm wrong, but those clubs have nothing to do with the term "LEBANESE", and i believe you're the one who should read what i said again, i never said that people go to those places as an alternative for downtown, people go clubbing because they wanna go clubbing it's as simple as that, all i said is that there are so many rich people in Lebanon and mid-class who can afford to go to downtown, but they don't, and it's exactly this mentality that keeps them from going, " downtown is full of khalijee people so why would i as a Lebanese go there " besides just a few years back the downtown used to be full of Lebanese, and it's just like Beiruti said, the prestigious Lebanese get bored very easily and they want something new, and this is why they don't go to downtown anymore... and when you speak of the Lebanese heritage or the Lebanese spirit, i don't truly know what that is exactly, is it the Nargilah ??? although i don't find that an interesting thing to be listed in the Lebanese culture, but since 90% love to smoke it well you got plenty of it in downtown, or is it like you said earlier the " MANA2ESH and SAJ " or what exactly it is ??? this spirit you're talking about is made by people, should the Lebanese go to the downtown more often, you will find that spirit there.. and once again the reason why i contributed to this discussion is because you're putting the blame on solidere, while solidere hasn't done anything to push the Lebanese away, i mean who on the planet earth would be interested in attracting costumers only for 2 or 3 months, whereas they could attract costumers every day of the year ...

Last edited by Leb10452km; August 29th, 2009 at 05:19 AM.
Leb10452km no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 29th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #242
jader3283
Cedar3

First of all i think you can figure out where the lebanese spirit is in the lebanese clubs.Its the lebanese spirit that makes skybar the number 1 rated club in the world. Second of all there is not alot of people who can afford downtown. And the mid-class is defiantly not part of them. Unless they go once every 2 weeks. Is that a practical downtown, where only the wealthy benefit, and can enjoy it. And let me tell u something is that even a nice downtown? The point is that's not even my argument from the beginning. I think u understand my point by now. Downtown is not practical because it is only for a small portion of the lebanese people. And that small portion is no longer enjoying to go to downtown anymore, because like i and many have said before downtown does not have the key, vital aspects an exciting, lively downtown should have. And believe it or not when a area has liveliness, spirit, and culture to it not only does it prosper much greater, people can and will enjoy it much more. And sorry but almost all lebanese locals, and most expatriates no longer share your "soldiere fanatic" opinions, and as a result like i have pointed out numerous times before DOWNTOWN IS EMPTY THROUGHOUT THE YEAR, AND IS FOR THE KHALIJIS. Furthermore, me and lots of other users have given you guys various examples of this concept(hamra, gemaza, raouche, aley souk, bhamdoun souk, byblos, and pretty much the rest of lebanon) And i have a personal questinon for u and beiruti do u enjoy downtown better, or what i annie23, tabouleh, and fracoleb are describing. the big questinon is do u prefer life and spirit vs. artifical. and once again i consider nightclubs to be totally irrelavant to this discusssion. the only thing i do agree with u on is smoking and how lebanese consider it to be part of their culture.
jader3283 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #243
Tabouleh
LBN

Likes (Received): 3

Then smoking must be one of the things I hate most of Lebanese culture, because I personnaly cannot tolerate Arguileh smoke LOL!
Tabouleh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #244
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabouleh View Post
Then smoking must be one of the things I hate most of Lebanese culture, because I personnaly cannot tolerate Arguileh smoke LOL!
Argileh smoke dosent even slightly annoy me, but its the cigarettes that cannot even stand! they smell soo bad
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #245
lebnani
Libano Cinéphile

Likes (Received): 4

hmm I remembered I had this pic from the last time I was walking back from Gemmeyze back on sept 6. I saw this, does anyone know if work has restarted on the garden of forgiveness? or is this something to do with the church?
lebnani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #246
Beiruti

Likes (Received): 45

This was the demolition of that eye-sore building in-between the church and the garden.
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #247
LeB.Fr
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Are you sure? The house was demolished a long time ago, and this photo was taken last month.
LeB.Fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #248
AmeriLEB

Likes (Received): 14

um it looks scary i hope its not over the ruins
AmeriLEB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #249
Beiruti

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeB.Fr View Post
Are you sure? The house was demolished a long time ago, and this photo was taken last month.
Sorry, you are right - I didnt realize the date. It does look chaotic and the fence is gone...
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #250
Beiruti

Here is a pic after the demolition...

So maybe now they are cleaning up?
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #251
B-Patriot

Is that plot between the mosque and Le Grey and what i think is WHITE under construction!? What is it?
B-Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #252
Lebanese Cedar
Cedar Master

The area under construction between the mosque and Le Gray is the Beirut Gardens project. Where you see the tent right by the mosque is the Rafic Hariri memorial and where he and his security guards who were killed are buried.

I BEIRUT
I LEBANON
Lebanese Cedar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #253
Beiruti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Cedar View Post
The area under construction between the mosque and Le Gray is the Beirut Gardens project. Where you see the tent right by the mosque is the Rafic Hariri memorial and where he and his security guards who were killed are buried.
Actually, Beirut Gardens is the plot in between the Virgin Megastore and the Hariri burial site. I think he was referring to what will be the Garden of Forgiveness, which is still on hold.
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #254
Lebanese Cedar
Cedar Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beiruti View Post
Actually, Beirut Gardens is the plot in between the Virgin Megastore and the Hariri burial site.
Yes, this is the site I'm talking about.

I BEIRUT
I LEBANON
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #255
B-Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Cedar View Post
Oh, i know the tent, i went there.. I sorta thought it was temporary or something, dunno, guess i didn't think about it much.. But seems a bit silly/wrong (no offence to anyone) to have that location be a burial ground, with a permanent tent..!

Thnx for the info..
B-Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #256
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

Likes (Received): 22

the tent is not permanent...the burial will be transformed into some sort of a memorial ...i think it will be sort of an extension to the Garden of Forgiveness
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #257
Lebanese Cedar
Cedar Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Patriot View Post
Oh, i know the tent, i went there.. I sorta thought it was temporary or something, dunno, guess i didn't think about it much.. But seems a bit silly/wrong (no offence to anyone) to have that location be a burial ground, with a permanent tent..!

Thnx for the info..
As MARTYR said, the tent is just temporary. Here is a new rendering Solidere posted for the Hariri burial ground:

I BEIRUT
I LEBANON
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #258
Young-Modeler2.0
If I may add!

Likes (Received): 1

Excelent concept , better than those metal facades - very stylish and very fit as a final resting place for Lebanon's no'1 man. but where exactly is the burying place for him and the other 20 (i think )
Young-Modeler2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #259
melkart
مستخدم مسجل

It is also very much in line with Islamic Tradition! The reflecting pool will be a very nice added feature to both the square and the mosque alike! It also highlights the chaotic state of the ruins, and makes contrasting elements; that of order juxtaposed with disorder!
melkart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #260
Young-Modeler2.0
If I may add!

Indeed, nicely put !

But does anyone what is the tent north to the pool is for ( in bottom right of th photo ) ??
Young-Modeler2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote