daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013)

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > The Urban Tourist

The Urban Tourist For those who enjoy big city traveling


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1
Lee
BANNED
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,446
Likes (Received): 1

Average Rainfall in World Cities





Average rainfall per yer (inches)

Europe

Rome: 23
London: 29
Paris: 25
Berlin: 23
Frankfurt: 25
Zurich: 42.5
Bergen: 81.7
Amsterdam: 31
Milan: 39
Madrid: 17
Dublin: 29
Edinburgh: 26

North America

New York City: 47.2
Washington DC: 41
Miami: 60
Los Angeles: 14.9
New Orleans: 63
Atlanta: 50
Phoenix: 7.6
Seattle: 40
Chicago: 34
Dallas: 37
Boston: 42.3
Toronto: 30
Vancouver: 43.6
Juneau: 90

South America

Sao Paulo: 55
Buenos Aires: 38.7
Lima: 0.2
Caracas: 33

Asia

Tokyo: 60
Shanghai: 45
Beijing: 25
Tel Aviv: 21
Hong Kong: 87
Singapore: 89.5
Calcutta: 63
Dubai: 4
Dhaka: 78

Africa

Cairo: 1
Nairobi: 40
Cape Town: 24.1

http://www.worldclimate.com/

Can't believe London gets less rain than Dallas! Actually, most Euro cities do, which is very surprising.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #2
schmidt
Registered User
 
schmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,553
Likes (Received): 36

Wow Lima must be one of the driest big cities in the world! Never knew that because it's ALWAYS cloudy there!
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #3
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Posts: 34,236
Likes (Received): 90

Barcelona: 20
__________________
www.urbanrail.net
Εγώ είμαι ο Νταβόρ!!
David (DavoR for my friends)
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #4
Lee
BANNED
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,446
Likes (Received): 1

I need to live in a city with an abundant amount of rain.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #5
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Posts: 34,236
Likes (Received): 90

Not me, please!

Move to Vancouver!!
__________________
www.urbanrail.net
Εγώ είμαι ο Νταβόρ!!
David (DavoR for my friends)
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #6
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 4,492
Likes (Received): 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee




Average rainfall per yer (inches)

Europe

Rome: 23
London: 29
Paris: 25
Berlin: 23
Frankfurt: 25
Zurich: 42.5
Bergen: 81.7
Amsterdam: 31
Milan: 39
Madrid: 17
Dublin: 29
Edinburgh: 26

North America

New York City: 47.2
Washington DC: 41
Miami: 60
Los Angeles: 14.9
New Orleans: 63
Atlanta: 50
Phoenix: 7.6
Seattle: 40
Chicago: 34
Dallas: 37
Boston: 42.3
Toronto: 30
Vancouver: 43.6
Juneau: 90

South America

Sao Paulo: 55
Buenos Aires: 38.7
Lima: 0.2
Caracas: 33

Asia

Tokyo: 60
Shanghai: 45
Beijing: 25
Tel Aviv: 21
Hong Kong: 87
Singapore: 89.5
Calcutta: 63
Dubai: 4
Dhaka: 78

Africa

Cairo: 1
Nairobi: 40
Cape Town: 24.1

http://www.worldclimate.com/

Can't believe London gets less rain than Dallas! Actually, most Euro cities do, which is very surprising.
Most people's perception of "raininess" is based on how frequently it rains, which in London is something like 2 in 3 days and in Dallas is more like 1 in 3 days. In England, though, the rain is always a perpetual, misty drizzle (as it is in Seattle). Whereas in the Texas (and throughout the Eastern U.S.) you get big thunderstorms that dump lots of rain and sometimes lead to flooding. Likewise, New York City gets more inches of precipitation than upstate New York, but upstate has a well deserved reputation for wet weather because it has 60 more days precipitation than NYC.

www.bestplaces.net has good climate profiles.

Florida gets a vast volume of rain, but may appear to someone who spends time there to be a fairly dry place. That's because Florida has the typical sub-tropical wet/dry seasonal climate (like with India's monsoon season, though not as pronounced), and has relatively dry weather patterns outside the summer months.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #7
Lee
BANNED
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,446
Likes (Received): 1

^Miami still averages like 135 days of precipitation. I don't call that dry at all. In fact, we have a very rainy reputation in the summer.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #8
eklips
Registered User
 
eklips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,511
Likes (Received): 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt
Wow Lima must be one of the driest big cities in the world! Never knew that because it's ALWAYS cloudy there!

Lima is in a desert
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #9
Lee
BANNED
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,446
Likes (Received): 1

Is Paris really that dry? I mean, 25 inches is nothing!
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #10
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 10,494
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Most people's perception of "raininess" is based on how frequently it rains, which in London is something like 2 in 3 days and in Dallas is more like 1 in 3 days. In England, though, the rain is always a perpetual, misty drizzle (as it is in Seattle). Whereas in the Texas (and throughout the Eastern U.S.) you get big thunderstorms that dump lots of rain and sometimes lead to flooding. Likewise, New York City gets more inches of precipitation than upstate New York, but upstate has a well deserved reputation for wet weather because it has 60 more days precipitation than NYC.
oh please, sorry to be a little englander.....but have you even been to the UK?

The South East of England is currently experiencing its worst drought since records began, and it certainly doesnt rain 2 in 3 days, even on average that is an exageration. Also, the rain is not 'always perceptual, misty drizzle'. For the past few years there has been noticably less rain than when i was younger (and i'm only 20), on the whole, cloudy (but not foggy or misty) or fine sunny days FAR outnumber rainy days, in summer and even autumn it can literally go weeks without a drop of rain falling in London.

The north of England is different though ...its always drizzling and depressing up there.........but dont lump the South East with that lot

EDIT: Found this on wikipedia....it seems pretty accurate to me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate...ngdom#Rainfall

"Parts of the United Kingdom are surprisingly dry - London receives less rain annually than Rome, Sydney or New York. In Eastern England it typically rains on about 1 day in 4 and slightly more in winter. The wettest seasons are the winter and autumn."

"The county of Essex (South-East England) is one of the driest in the British Isles, with an average annual rainfall of around 600 mm (24 inches), although it typically rains on around 90 days per year. In some years rainfall in Essex can be below 450 mm (18 inches) — less than the average annual rainfall in Jerusalem and Beirut.
__________________
My Pictures:
London - Amsterdam - Copenhagen - Berlin - Oslo - Bergen - Prague - Dublin

Last edited by NothingBetterToDo; May 12th, 2006 at 05:13 AM.
NothingBetterToDo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #11
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 659
Likes (Received): 1

Hmmm... I was expecting S. Florida to be wetter, but oh well.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #12
Facial
Seeking truth from facts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego
Posts: 659
Likes (Received): 1

What about Hawaii ? Some places in Hawaii are ultra-wet.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #13
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 4,492
Likes (Received): 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo
oh please, sorry to be a little englander.....but have you even been to the UK?

The South East of England is currently experiencing its worst drought since records began, and it certainly doesnt rain 2 in 3 days, even on average that is an exageration. Also, the rain is not 'always perceptual, misty drizzle'. For the past few years there has been noticably less rain than when i was younger (and i'm only 20), on the whole, cloudy (but not foggy or misty) or fine sunny days FAR outnumber rainy days, in summer and even autumn it can literally go weeks without a drop of rain falling in London.

The north of England is different though ...its always drizzling and depressing up there.........but dont lump the South East with that lot

EDIT: Found this on wikipedia....it seems pretty accurate to me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate...ngdom#Rainfall

"Parts of the United Kingdom are surprisingly dry - London receives less rain annually than Rome, Sydney or New York. In Eastern England it typically rains on about 1 day in 4 and slightly more in winter. The wettest seasons are the winter and autumn."

"The county of Essex (South-East England) is one of the driest in the British Isles, with an average annual rainfall of around 600 mm (24 inches), although it typically rains on around 90 days per year. In some years rainfall in Essex can be below 450 mm (18 inches) — less than the average annual rainfall in Jerusalem and Beirut.
Yeah I've never been to England before numbnuts... Except for that 7 year stint when I lived all over the country including London, South Yorkshire, Northamptonshire, Manchester... Yeah I really know nothing about the country.

Also, you do realizes that weather patterns vary from year to year right? If I say the average man is 5'10", you don't disprove that by telling me you have a couple of friends who are 5'6". According to climate stats, in London it does rain 2/3 days, so I will tend to believe that. And yes when it does rain in England it's often a day or days long affair involving a light drizzle. How could you not know that living in England yourself? That contrasts very sharply with rain patterns in say Florida, where it rains for short, but highly intense bursts.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #14
schmidt
Registered User
 
schmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,553
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial
What about Hawaii ? Some places in Hawaii are ultra-wet.
Norway too!
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #15
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 10,494
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Yeah I've never been to England before numbnuts... Except for that 7 year stint when I lived all over the country including London, South Yorkshire, Northamptonshire, Manchester... Yeah I really know nothing about the country.

Also, you do realizes that weather patterns vary from year to year right? If I say the average man is 5'10", you don't disprove that by telling me you have a couple of friends who are 5'6". According to climate stats, in London it does rain 2/3 days, so I will tend to believe that. And yes when it does rain in England it's often a day or days long affair involving a light drizzle. How could you not know that living in England yourself? That contrasts very sharply with rain patterns in say Florida, where it rains for short, but highly intense bursts.
Oh, i'm terribly sorry for not knowing anything about your life history....of course i should have realised you lived in the Uk for seven years....its common knowledge isn't it??

i'm well aware the climate varies from year to year, And the Uk (well, the south East at least) has had the dryest decade since records began, with the past 5 years being very dry. I can find the news reports if you'd like me too . The very problem is that we are having more short sharp showers, as opposed to days of drizzle which is what we need to replenish the ground water supplies.

In the long term grand scheme of things 10 years is not long, but on a human scale it has resulted in noticably different weather, especially in the past 4 or 5 years.

Please show me the climate stats that say it rains 2 thirds of the time in london and from what years they are from, (I'm not asking you this as a challenge, i'm just interested to know where you get it from cos i havent been able to find that type of data online for London). According to wikipedia (i know, not known for its acuracy, but its the best i could find) it rains 1/4 days in Essex, which is right next to London (infact a large part of East and north east London is in Essex). 1/4 is a big difference from 2/3

I wasnt disputing the comparasons between Florida either, which obviously gets more sunny days and more heavy downpours than London (same as the Mediterranian cities).

I'm not one of those people who is saying it hardly ever rains in London (it does) or we have the sunniest, warmest weather in the World...(we dont). But i do think the sterotype that is always rains and is always foggy is very outdated (due to global warming ). I'm just suggesting the weather isn't as bad as most people assume.
__________________
My Pictures:
London - Amsterdam - Copenhagen - Berlin - Oslo - Bergen - Prague - Dublin

Last edited by NothingBetterToDo; May 13th, 2006 at 04:33 PM.
NothingBetterToDo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #16
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,474
Likes (Received): 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
According to climate stats, in London it does rain 2/3 days, so I will tend to believe that.
You have got to be kidding!

Show me these mysterious stats... I could do with a giggle!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #17
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,474
Likes (Received): 1191

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_London

London has 145 rainy days per year, less than half... so much for 2/3!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #18
dragans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

skopje

Average rainfall 20
dragans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #19
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..
 
FREKI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 10,036
Likes (Received): 1460

He he Denmark is white... that must be a good thing right?

No stats for Copenhagen?
__________________
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #20
Hebrewtext
Registered User
 
Hebrewtext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tel Aviv - Yafo
Posts: 2,730
Likes (Received): 319

Beirut average precipitation is 36" /900mm during ashort winter of 4/5 months.

Tel Aviv average precipitation is 25" /602mm during ashort winter of 4/5 months.

in winter of 91/92 Tel Aviv got 49"/1200mm during the short winter of 4/5 months.

at some areas in Lebanon and north Israel the average precipitation quantity is more then 62" /1500mm during ashort winter of 4/5 months.

Eilat (south Israel) got 0.8"/20mm of precipitation per year.
Hebrewtext no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu