daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Shopping Architecture

Shopping Architecture Properly credited photos of retail shops, department stores and shopping malls around the world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #201
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5618

That's what you call a f o o d c o u r t. You know...where people eat... How else is someone supposed to know what shop they're walking into without the sign outside?

This is the design of the rest of the mall:

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #202
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydz View Post
That's what you call a f o o d c o u r t. You know...where people eat... How else is someone supposed to know what shop they're walking into without the sign outside?
Really, it's not that hard, and doesn't have to be so ugly, garrish and loud. Seriously, that food court is truely hideous.

The rest of the mall from your latest photo is nicer, although I still hate these fake historical remakes you find outside of Europe. It is so different from the real thing and looks so cheap in comparison. They should stick to modern designs as these half arse attempts at historical replica's don't really cut it. Actually, you do get a couple of them here in Europe as well like London's Blue Water, but I hate it there just as much.
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #203
Lydon

Well most people seem to like it considering the fact that most people I've met have said it's the best-looking mall they've been to. Here in SA we like our food courts loud :P
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #204
Lightness
En travesti

Likes (Received): 62

Al Faisaliah in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, is probably the nicest one I've seen. No photos to show you though, it's strictly forbidden to take photos there. I even tried, had a security guard telling me off straight away.
Lightness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #205
Lydon

Gateway - Durban, South Africa (currently undergoing expansion which will make it the largest mall in the Southern Hemisphere)

Old September 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #206
Lydon

Tygervalley - Cape Town, South Africa (not very many images...but oh well )

Old September 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #207
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Well most people seem to like it considering the fact that most people I've met have said it's the best-looking mall they've been to. Here in SA we like our food courts loud :P

I guess it's what you're used to. If you don't see any real historical buildings then the fake simpler replica's may still seem nice. I guess it's a bit like a Lion Safari Park in Europe. For Europeans, this may seem great, but for a South African who has visited Kruger, it will seem lame. These malls are along the same lines.

I prefer this one. Sure, it's a bit generic, but at least it's not trying to be something it's not:

On the other hand.
Terrible fake history:

The real McCoy:

Old September 11th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #208
Lydon

Canal Walk isn't trying to replicate anything. It's more centered towards the Arts, which is why they have paintings along the walls, various sculptures around the building and host regular fashion shows etc. You'll come across the "sad and happy face" (don't ask me what the correct name for it is) sign a few times on a journey through the mall. It may seem to you like they're trying to replicate European malls, but I can assure you that this is not the case. Upon visiting the mall's website, you'll see various quotes relating to fashion etc. which help substantiate what I'm trying to say.

I personally don't like those historical malls shown above...they seem extremely cluttered regardless of their size. But all to their own tastes eh :P

Oh and on a side note...we do in fact have very many historical buildings in Cape Town built by early settlers, so we do in fact know what is historical.
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #209
Lydon

Anyway...moving on...the Victoria Wharf (Victoria and Alfred Waterfront Mall - one of the top tourist attractions in the country) - Cape Town, South Africa

Seems like people like the outside alot xD Can't find many pictures of the inside.

Last edited by Lydon; September 11th, 2007 at 11:47 PM.
Lydon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #210
Fenol
ZB-624

Likes (Received): 1049

Nevsky Atrium
St Petersburg Russia

Fenol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #211
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Canal Walk isn't trying to replicate anything. It's more centered towards the Arts, which is why they have paintings along the walls, various sculptures around the building and host regular fashion shows etc. You'll come across the "sad and happy face" (don't ask me what the correct name for it is) sign a few times on a journey through the mall. It may seem to you like they're trying to replicate European malls, but I can assure you that this is not the case. Upon visiting the mall's website, you'll see various quotes relating to fashion etc. which help substantiate what I'm trying to say.
I'm sorry, but it is trying to replicate European historical architecture. The developers who created the mall themselves, call it "Cape Venetian architecture".

Quote:
I personally don't like those historical malls shown above...they seem extremely cluttered regardless of their size. But all to their own tastes eh :P
You are right here, each to their own. However, I don't understand how you can think the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan is "cluttered", but not the food hall of the Canal Walk mall??? It's a bit like Tom Cruise calling John Cleese short.

Quote:
Oh and on a side note...we do in fact have very many historical buildings in Cape Town built by early settlers, so we do in fact know what is historical.
Of cause there are many historical buildings in Cape Town, but not that historical from a European point of view, and certainly not of the opulence and grandeur that we have here. To argue this would be pointless, like a person from Naples saying New York or Hong Kong's skyline is no different to their city. I know colonial architecture and although there are some fine examples around the world, it is still on a scale so far removed from European in design and quality. A person used to it, and not having seen anything else may think it's not that different, but trust me, if you ever set food in Italy or many other European country's, you will change your mind.

Last edited by Justme; September 11th, 2007 at 11:25 PM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #212
Lydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
I'm sorry, but it is trying to replicate European historical architecture. The developers who created the mall themselves, call it "Cape Venetian architecture"
Lol...you do know that Cape Venetian Architecture is not a term coined by the developers? It is in fact in use in many, many buildings around the city and was first implemented by early Dutch settlers. You may think it's a copy, but it is not. And if you want to blame anyone for the supposed "copy", blame the Dutch who settled here and decided to start something new.

Quote:
You are right here, each to their own. However, I don't understand how you can think the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan is "cluttered", but not the food hall of the Canal Walk mall??? It's a bit like Tom Cruise calling John Cleese short.
I personally don't like the style. A mall is meant for shopping in...those malls seem as if shops are a "by-the-way" thing in them. At least it's the shops cluttering Canal Walk's food court...

Quote:
Of cause there are many historical buildings in Cape Town, but not that historical from a European point of view, and certainly not of the opulence and grandeur that we have here.
As I said earlier...that is your opinion. It's clear that you are a huge fan of European architecture...and that anything remotely similar-looking to it is considered a cheap copy. Not all of us, however, are big fans of it. I prefer Cape Venetian Architecture to historical European, and many tourists clearly like it too. So, as said before, we each have our own tastes. And rightfully so otherwise we wouldn't have much of a tourist industry.

Now, can we please get back to posting pics of various malls?
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #213
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Lol...you do know that Cape Venetian Architecture is not a term coined by the developers? It is in fact in use in many, many buildings around the city and was first implemented by early Dutch settlers. You may think it's a copy, but it is not. And if you want to blame anyone for the supposed "copy", blame the Dutch who settled here and decided to start something new.
Actually, I think you are wrong. Do a google search of "Cape Venetian Architecture" (in speech marks so it looks for that phrase) and there are only four hits all related to this mall. And yes, it is copied off Italian architecture, which is why it has the word "Venetian" in it. Otherwise they would have called it something like Cape Original architecture. it's not rocket science.

Quote:
I personally don't like the style. A mall is meant for shopping in...those malls seem as if shops are a "by-the-way" thing in them. At least it's the shops cluttering Canal Walk's food court...
That's more than fine. I have no intentions to change your point of view on what you prefer. However, it wasn't the shops the clutter Canal Walk's food court in my opinion, but the garish neon signs and advertising.

Quote:
As I said earlier...that is your opinion. It's clear that you are a huge fan of European architecture...and that anything remotely similar-looking to it is considered a cheap copy. Not all of us, however, are big fans of it. I prefer Cape Venetian Architecture to historical European, and many tourists clearly like it too. So, as said before, we each have our own tastes. And rightfully so otherwise we wouldn't have much of a tourist industry.

Now, can we please get back to posting pics of various malls?
Ok, let's stick within the realms of reality here. People around the world do not travel to Cape Town to see it's shopping malls or Cape Venetian architecture. They travel for the beautiful scenery, the beaches, the city and country itself and many other wonderful reasons. But not for the architecture, and certainly not Cape Venetian - what with only four web sites about it. I could ask any traveller anywhere outside South Africa to ask what they would travel to Cape Town for, and none of them would say the architecture. On the other hand, many people travel to Europe to explore specifically the architecture.

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II which you didn't like (and that is certainly fair enough - I can't and won't blame you for this) is more famous around the world than all the malls in South Africa combined. It is considered a "must see" in any tourist guide to the city and Milan does get a lot of tourists.

Now, I'm not putting down the Canal Walk mall, with the exception of that food court which really is shocking. The rest of the mall is pleasant in it's own way, but certainly not unique in design. And as I said, I'm sure it would seem quite attractive to those not used to the real thing. But after seeing the real thing, in my opinion it is still a cheap copy.

I'd rather walk through a modern design building of interesting architectural merit, than a half arsed copy of something historical from the otherside of the world. I'd rather walk through a mall in South Africa that is unique to South Africa, one whose architecture reflects South Africa's roots in a stylish and contemporary way rather than this here. And I am sure such malls exist in your country.

This has nothing as you put it, my love for European architecture and nothing outside of Europe is any good. There are beautiful (usually historical) buildings in many other parts of the world that borrowed heavily from European architecture and they are wonderful. This however is a modern building which done a very poor job of it. That is what I don't like. And this is not limited to your city or country. Sometimes, they even build something like this in Europe and it doesn't impress me either (Blue Water Mall is a classic example)

By the way. This thread is called "World's most beautiful Malls", so you should expect some debate when you post here. Afterall, you may believe that this is a contender for the world's most beautiful mall, but others may not.

Don't take it personally.
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #214
Lydon

Quote:
Actually, I think you are wrong. Do a google search of "Cape Venetian Architecture" (in speech marks so it looks for that phrase) and there are only four hits all related to this mall. And yes, it is copied off Italian architecture, which is why it has the word "Venetian" in it. Otherwise they would have called it something like Cape Original architecture. it's not rocket science.

That's more than fine. I have no intentions to change your point of view on what you prefer. However, it wasn't the shops the clutter Canal Walk's food court in my opinion, but the garish neon signs and advertising.

Ok, let's stick within the realms of reality here. People around the world do not travel to Cape Town to see it's shopping malls or Cape Venetian architecture. They travel for the beautiful scenery, the beaches, the city and country itself and many other wonderful reasons. But not for the architecture, and certainly not Cape Venetian - what with only four web sites about it. I could ask any traveller anywhere outside South Africa to ask what they would travel to Cape Town for, and none of them would say the architecture. On the other hand, many people travel to Europe to explore specifically the architecture.

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II which you didn't like (and that is certainly fair enough - I can't and won't blame you for this) is more famous around the world than all the malls in South Africa combined. It is considered a "must see" in any tourist guide to the city and Milan does get a lot of tourists.

Now, I'm not putting down the Canal Walk mall, with the exception of that food court which really is shocking. The rest of the mall is pleasant in it's own way, but certainly not unique in design. And as I said, I'm sure it would seem quite attractive to those not used to the real thing. But after seeing the real thing, in my opinion it is still a cheap copy.

I'd rather walk through a modern design building of interesting architectural merit, than a half arsed copy of something historical from the otherside of the world. I'd rather walk through a mall in South Africa that is unique to South Africa, one whose architecture reflects South Africa's roots in a stylish and contemporary way rather than this here. And I am sure such malls exist in your country.

This has nothing as you put it, my love for European architecture and nothing outside of Europe is any good. There are beautiful (usually historical) buildings in many other parts of the world that borrowed heavily from European architecture and they are wonderful. This however is a modern building which done a very poor job of it. That is what I don't like. And this is not limited to your city or country. Sometimes, they even build something like this in Europe and it doesn't impress me either (Blue Water Mall is a classic example)

By the way. This thread is called "World's most beautiful Malls", so you should expect some debate when you post here. Afterall, you may believe that this is a contender for the world's most beautiful mall, but others may not.

Don't take it personally.
Erm...have you ever heard of the V&A Waterfront? It is the number 1 tourist attraction in Cape Town after Table Mountain. This uses Cape Venetian Architecture and I can assure you tourists love it.

Now I'm not here to try and convince you to love a mall. Cape Town wasn't classified as one of the World's top shopping destinations for nothing. You may see the architecture as half-arsed, but I still do not. Honestly...if they wanted to copy European architecture they could easily have done a far better job at it. Trust me...I've seen it happen (to my dismay).

What you may see as African isn't necessarily African. Just because we have game reserves doesn't mean that our malls need to have resemble that. Due to the large number of Europeans here, some European-like architecture is bound to crop up, but in no way do we need to copy. I mean honestly...I can hardly see something similar between this and the pictures of the malls you previously posted:
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #215
Irwell

Trafford Centre, Manchester:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #216
Justme
Gotta lite?

I'd have to be fair here and say I don't like the Trafford Center either. Would that be Venician-Mancunian style ;O)
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #217
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

new bloomingdales in San Francisco is pretty gorgeous...
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #218
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1728

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat View Post
new bloomingdales in San Francisco is pretty gorgeous...
isn't it though

we explored it all
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #219
frutino82

Likes (Received): 0

The newest (and 2nd biggest) one in Berlin: "Alexa"

Beautiful? Ehm..........different!

Photos taken from Wikipedia
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #220
iLiR

Likes (Received): 276

Wow...the Malls in NY/NJ are nothing compared to any of these!

Tags
lifestyle malls, malls, shopping centers, shopping malls