daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Shopping Architecture

Shopping Architecture Properly credited photos of retail shops, department stores and shopping malls around the world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:17 PM   #81
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

What's the difference? When originally designed, those European shopping galleias were styled to awe and look exotic. So they are a bit older. The same spirit resides within them, the difference is that we have become so used to those old styles we immediately identify them with that location, instead of being something exciting and new.

I can understand that some people do not like too much decoration. Perhaps it something about needing purpose or to categorize or something. Personally, I like it - it shows imagination, it shows creativity. It doesn't steroetype the local style.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:44 PM   #82
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

Ibn Batutta mall is not "tacky". There is a reason for the six themes from around the world. It is to honor the travels of renowned 14th century Arabian explorer Ibn Battuta. The architecture within the mall’s six courts are based on the most influential places Ibn Battuta travelled during his time, providing mall visitors an invaluable glimpse into the past. An original idea along with a smart and intelligent themed design in my opinion and definitely not tacky.
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:00 PM   #83
DG
Emirian Lady

Likes (Received): 4

don't argue with kindergarten kids.
DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM   #84
Tmac
Dhaka-Ottawa-DC

Likes (Received): 14

Zaki, that Bashundhara City mall in Dhaka is awesome. It happens to be the largest mall in South Asia.
Tmac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:13 PM   #85
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
don't argue with kindergarten kids.
Don't be immature. Dubai's malls... and for that matter, a substantial amount of the buildings in general... look so fake. There is hardly any originality! For god sakes, not everything has to be stolen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
Ibn Batutta mall is not "tacky". There is a reason for the six themes from around the world. It is to honor the travels of renowned 14th century Arabian explorer Ibn Battuta. The architecture within the mall’s six courts are based on the most influential places Ibn Battuta travelled during his time, providing mall visitors an invaluable glimpse into the past. An original idea along with a smart and intelligent themed design in my opinion and definitely not tacky.
So... Ibn Batutta is not "tacky" because it is in recognition of something? Sorry... need more than that. You can go on and on all you want about what Ibn Batutta has done... doesn't make the mall any less hideous.

And this is definately not out of jealousy, so no one needs to pull their usual crap of claiming that's all it is. I would never want one of Dubai's ugly creations scarring the face of my city.

Last edited by j4893k; June 23rd, 2006 at 10:34 PM.
j4893k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM   #86
Krazy
Kool Kat

Get over the whole "that's so fake" arguments will you? It's getting old
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:46 PM   #87
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Quote:
Get over the whole "that's so fake" arguments will you? It's getting old
Well apparently it's not judging by the fact that the city is consistently pumping out new "fake" creations. But sure, I'll stop using fake. What about ugly, tacky, eyesore, cluttered and waste of money... can I still use those?

It's very irritating that many people continuously prevent any Dubai buildings from being subject to criticism. It's almost as if people take it waaay to personally. I'm sorry, next time I'll ask someone who loves every single Dubai monster for my opinion. Thanks.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:02 PM   #88
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60763

The interior of Bluewater, Kent is very beautiful and well sculptured. Its in the top 3 biggest malls in Europe.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:41 PM   #89
egm_ar
Expert

Likes (Received): 504

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Galerías Pacífico

Photo by maxem

Photo by maxem

Mines

Abasto Shopping

Posted by maxem

Con el mismo avatar desde junio de 2004.
egm_ar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #90
Krazy
Kool Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4893k
Well apparently it's not judging by the fact that the city is consistently pumping out new "fake" creations. But sure, I'll stop using fake. What about ugly, tacky, eyesore, cluttered and waste of money... can I still use those?

It's very irritating that many people continuously prevent any Dubai buildings from being subject to criticism. It's almost as if people take it waaay to personally. I'm sorry, next time I'll ask someone who loves every single Dubai monster for my opinion. Thanks.
And it's extremely irritating that many people criticize Dubai just for the heck of it.. coz no city has ever dared to do what Dubai is doing... I dont know.. maybe it's the jealousy of the haters?

Old June 24th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #91
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

St Stephen's Green shopping centre:

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #92
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Quote:
And it's extremely irritating that many people criticize Dubai just for the heck of it.. coz no city has ever dared to do what Dubai is doing... I dont know.. maybe it's the jealousy of the haters?

You just don't get it do you? If people think some of Dubai's buildings are ugly as hell, they are allowed to think so... They do not need some punk to jump down their throat and scream "jealousy" and "hatred". The SSC forumers and myself are capable of deciding for ourselves whether or not we think something looks good.

The only thing Dubai is doing well is density (which many cities have acheived)... That and a few buildings that are amazing (also, what many cities have). But come on!... Man made islands in the shape of palm trees, airport cities, most things being ugly and tacky (not to mention fake looking), the list goes on and on and on... yuk! Can I please live there? The world would be bland and without character if they all chose to follow in Dubai's footsteps. Thank god!

And drop the jealousy act... It's getting played out.
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #93
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Anyway, this all started with a couple people not liking a Dubai mall... And it was blown way out of proportion. Sorry, I'm gone.
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #94
seattlehawk

Quote:
Anyway, this all started with a couple people not liking a Dubai mall... And it was blown way out of proportion. Sorry, I'm gone.
You have been using the term "fake" too often. Define "fake". Keep in mind that Dubai is a new city in the middle of a desert, where human habitation is naturally prohibitive. In that context, what its residents have done with their city is impressive and commendable. I would understand if you were criticizing a building or two. However, to say that everything in Dubai is ugly and "fake" makes it sounds like you hate every thing "Arab" or perhaps anything outside of North America and Europe. I have been to Dubai. I have seen its malls and its airport. And I can tell you that they surely beat the malls and airport here in Seattle by many miles. Fake or not.

Azrain98 liked this post

Last edited by seattlehawk; June 24th, 2006 at 10:01 PM.
seattlehawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #95
DG
Emirian Lady

thanks for your fairness.

i believe narrow minded people (like our friend j4893k) would change their mind if they visit a certain place and take experience there before judging it negatively or bashing it.
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #96
DG
Emirian Lady

by the way Buenos Aires's malls are amazing
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #97
whereisflat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Did you see hightech mall in Istanbul?They used a new air circulation system in that mall! In the winter you'll be able to walk outisede with a T-shirt and in the summer you'll always have a cool breeze.

Istanbul KANYON:

direct metro connection:
whereisflat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #98
monymoe

Quote:

I think you just hate Dubai for their ability to recreate certain structures and places from around the world in a stunning and beautiful manner. I have been to dubai, i have been to ibn-battuta mall, and i must tell you that i did more walking around admiring the details of the mall than i did shopping. DOnt be hating on something you have never seen. JUst because you beleive that anything that doesnt have a classic european style is automatically ugly doesnt mean that you have the right to hate on everything else. You hate the man made palm islands? why? because you cant accept change? its 2006, new ideas to do things should be celebrated, not hated on.

go and get yourself some culture; start that by being more open minded.

Azrain98 liked this post
monymoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #99
Siopao
レジスタドユーザー

Likes (Received): 100

WOW! The Argentinean mall is soo european! It's like in Milano!
Siopao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #100
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

That hightech mall in Istanbul is just
Definitely my favourite so far!!
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifestyle malls, malls, shopping centers, shopping malls