daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Beiruti

Likes (Received): 69

#CANCELLED-BCD: "The Landmark" | 42F Mixed-Use - 168m

The Landmark

Beirut Central District - Beirut, Lebanon

Owners: The Landmark Company (Kuwaiti/Lebanese)

Architect: Jean Nouvel

Official Website: www.landmarklb.com

Quote:
The Landmark in downtown Beirut, comprising residential, commercial and entertainment premises as well as a luxury hotel, is a USD149 million project designed by the well-known architect Jean Nouvel. The mixed-use center will include a 5-star hotel with 175 rooms and 15 suites, 39 service apartments and apartments for sale, as well as a health club, spa and business center. In addition, a shopping mall, cinema and entertainment center will be incorporated, all with access to ample underground parking facilities.

The focal point of Nouvel’s design will be a 150-meter tower flanked by two additional buildings, both connected to the tower by pedestrian bridges at various levels. The 44-meter North Building will have 9 floors, while the South Building will, at 55 meters, be 10 floors high.

The project, expected to be completed by December 2008 and provide around 345 job opportunities, is being developed by Landmark s.a.l. and was awarded investment and development incentives as per Package Deal Contract.

"My design will be aligned with the spirit of Beirut's history, but also to create a new Beirut"
- Jean Nouvel

Last edited by Beiruti; July 2nd, 2007 at 02:12 AM.
Beiruti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Beiruti

Landmark raises its investment capital from $149 million to $240 million

2/11/2006
The Lebanon Brief

Investment Development Authority of Lebanon (IDAL) announced that it has amended the Package Deal Contract it signed with Landmark s.a.l to include a wider range of services and benefits. The amendment of the investment and development incentives was executed because Landmark raised the investment capital of its project from $149m to $240m.

Landmark is a touristic commercial project in downtown Beirut and was approved by IDAL in 2005. It consists of a 150 meter tower with residential, commercial, and entertainment premises and includes a five star luxury hotel. The project, which provides around 345 job opportunities, is expected to be completed by December 2008.

Last edited by Beiruti; May 17th, 2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #3
lebaneseangel

Likes (Received): 0

im lost..where will it be located at?
lebaneseangel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #4
nareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaneseangel
where will it be located at?
It will be located in Riad el Solh square. Currently, the place is a parking lot.
nareg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #5
nareg

I tried to make it bit easier...

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Lebanese Cedar

Likes (Received): 25

It has not been approved yet and I have a strong feeling it will not be approved under its current height. I will ask my cousin for details.
Lebanese Cedar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #7
Beiruti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Cedar
It has not been approved yet and I have a strong feeling it will not be approved under its current height. I will ask my cousin for details.

The project itself has been approved by the Investment Development Authority of Lebanon (IDAL), but as you said, the exact height may be subject to change.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #8
nareg

Yes, the height is still an issue.

Last edited by Beiruti; July 2nd, 2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #9
Lebanese Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirut!
The project itself has been approved by the Investment Development Authority of Lebanon (IDAL), but as you said, the exact height may be subject to change.
The Investment Development Authority of Lebanon (IDAL) does not approve construction projects. They provide incentives to any kind of investment in the country. There are certain requirements that need to be filled and once they are filled, the investment firm can apply for incentives (mainly tax breaks) to implement the project. IDAL reviews the investment projects (they don't necessarily have to be buildings, any kind of investment both local and foreign) and then they review them whether to approve incentives or not. They also help in doing the various legal work and overcome hurdles of bureaucracy which are particularly notorious in Lebanon. It is to encourage local and foreign investment in the country and so far it has been pretty successful, but they are not who approve construction projects nor do they have the authority to do so.

It's the Beirut Municipality that approves construction projects and issues the construction permits. The Beirut Municipality is this beautiful building on Weygand Street:

They refused the Landmark project last summer because of its height. They then applied for derogation and I imagine they will refuse it again. We will find out sometime this summer maybe. Riad al Solh Square is zoned for low-rise construction only.

There are also many complaining about its very abstract architecture which does not blend in with the surrounding buildings at all. This project will not get off recently. They were supposed to start construction in 2004.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Beiruti

Thanks for that info Lebanese Cedar, it just seemed to me that this project is going to happen for real, and this article (as recent as Feb 2006) makes no mention of any complications but rather refers to the project as something positive for the city and on track to be completed by 2008.

Quote:
Landmark raises its investment capital from $149 million to $240 million

2/11/2006
The Lebanon Brief

Investment Development Authority of Lebanon (IDAL) announced that it has amended the Package Deal Contract it signed with Landmark s.a.l to include a wider range of services and benefits. The amendment of the investment and development incentives was executed because Landmark raised the investment capital of its project from $149m to $240m.

Landmark is a touristic commercial project in downtown Beirut and was approved by IDAL in 2005. It consists of a 150 meter tower with residential, commercial, and entertainment premises and includes a five star luxury hotel. The project, which provides around 345 job opportunities, is expected to be completed by December 2008.

If you have any more recent articles regarding the status of this project please share.
Personally, like yourself I wish that this project would be cancelled as this is not the appropriate location for such a tower, however most signs lead me to believe it is going to happen one way or another.

Last edited by Beiruti; May 18th, 2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #11
livni
BANNED

when nouvel was in israel I went to his lecture, he did mention this project but only in 2 sentences, I think it was called bell tower (castaniela) or something
livni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #12
nareg

Livni, thanks for informing us.
In his website, also we find about this project.

The problem is that the tower will look odd (at least in my point of view) with the surrounding buildings. So, it is up to the Beirut Municipality, as Lebanese Cedar has mentioned above, to decide.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:04 AM   #13
urbanespaces

On Riad el solh... i loved that stretch. Can't imagine a modern building situated there though. When's the project launch?
urbanespaces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #14
Lebanese Cedar

It's been approved.

Council of Ministers’ decree 16184
of 2006 ratified amendments of the
Master Plan as far as sector J.

The main changes were eliminating
the tower on the site south of Amir
Amin garden, featured in the original
Master Plan, and transposing it to the
Landmark site, north of the garden.
The decree approves The Landmark
scheme as designed by Jean Nouvel
on lot 1520 Bachoura, and grants it
specific exemptions from BCD and
Lebanon construction law regulation.

The Landmark exemptions involve
canceling streetwall controls,
modifying pedestrian passages by
removing part of the north-south
passage and adding an east-west
passage; exemption from providing
landscaping on 50% of un-built areas.
The former Master Plan maximum
height of the tower is increased from
40 to 164 m with a 55 m-high podium.

Other exemptions relate to technical
issues: location of the technical floor,
direct sunlight, ventilation, claustra
(musharrabiya); and to the BUA
calculation for cinemas’ halls and
double volumes (more than 5.50 m
of height).

Last edited by Lebanese Cedar; June 9th, 2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #15
Beiruti

Nice, thanks LC... so now it will be 164m! How many floors is that?
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #16
Lebanese Cedar

Quote:
Nice, thanks LC... so now it will be 164m! How many floors is that?
It was always going to be 164 meters, nothing has changed. It is afterall 37 floors.

It's a shame Beirut's tallest skyscraper will be such an hideous looking building...
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #17
lebgurl

I thought we had a limit on how we could go up .. i dont remember the specifics but it was DEFINETLY less that 164m! is that general or neighborhood-specific?
lebgurl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #18
Lebanese Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebgurl
I thought we had a limit on how we could go up .. i dont remember the specifics but it was DEFINETLY less that 164m! is that general or neighborhood-specific?
I remember reading back in 2004 when it was first announced that it would Beirut's tallest building at 164 meters.

Remember that it is 37 floors, I don't see how a 37-floor building can be anything less than 160 meters.
Old June 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #19
B-Patriot

Likes (Received): 5

Funny location... So i didnt get what changes to the original plan and design were made, if any..
B-Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #20
LeB-iT

I read that it'll be 48 floors on one of the links Libano posted (the platinum tower)

Last edited by LeB-iT; June 11th, 2006 at 08:37 PM.
LeB-iT no está en línea   Reply With Quote