daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2221
erdnisloed

Likes (Received): 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL View Post
CONGRATULATION Paris : great trolling almost as beautiful as the French capital itself <3
The link below (2 hours before my post) prooves that there is indeed a controversy about it and that you'll have... your hour of glory as well :

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=4190

Last edited by erdnisloed; May 26th, 2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: time
erdnisloed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:07 AM   #2222
Пятница
BANNED

Likes (Received): 359

MCT will be at 1 meter higher than observation deck of Ostankino TV Tower (337 m, Moscow)!
image hosted on flickr

Пятница no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:30 AM   #2223
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Earth View Post
Where did you get this information?
The most it got to is a little over 300 meters which happened a couple days ago.
There's actually some controversy on the Shard's final height. Some say 310 m, some say 309 m. The CTBUH has it at 306 m:
http://skyscrapercenter.com/building...uilding_id=451

Speaking of final heights, does anybody know when Mercury City is expected to top out?
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:55 AM   #2224
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятница View Post
MCT will be at 1 meter higher than observation deck of Ostankino TV Tower (337 m, Moscow)!
image hosted on flickr

Nice!
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:25 AM   #2225
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnisloed View Post
OK.

I made this mistake because of the forum of the Shard itself.
Somebody showed on March 9 a drawing of the finished tower with the very long... last glass panels of 10 m high like on the diagram above [PS : this diagram and its post which were just above have been suppressed while I was answering !] but several... others denied it... (see the photos below) and showed a drawing were the last panel was about the same height than the 7 superposed metallic "squares" composing the structure of the pinacles put on March 17 (8 lenghts in total).
So, as somebody said on Wikipedia that the Shard had reached the level of MCT and since I couldn't find the precised actual height of Shard on its forum... for this day..., I considered 309(1)-285 = 24/8 = 3 m for the last panel and consequently 3 x 7 = 21 + 285 = 306 m for the tower height on March 17 !!
(1) height on their posts.
Now if you say that the last panels will be the long ones of 10 m (rather dangerous in case of storm !), the Shard has indeed never reached the level of MCT.
In the other case, if the last Shard glass panel is indeed 3 m high, as I first calculated, the Shard with 306 m on March 17, 2012 didn't reached neither MCT with already 306.30... m on February 28.
I had to read this 4 times to understand you.
So i get that the photo made the building (Shard) look longer and some fail journalist didn't take notes and wrote that the Shard was as tall as MCT on Wikipedia. So you assumed it was 306 meters...etc
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:28 AM   #2226
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultEmate View Post
What race? Mercury is already higher than Shard will ever be.
Dude, did you even pay attention to the time he posted that?? Hint: (it was before any building made history)
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:05 AM   #2227
erdnisloed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Earth View Post
I had to read this 4 times to understand you.
So i get that the photo made the building (Shard) look longer and some fail journalist didn't take notes and wrote that the Shard was as tall as MCT on Wikipedia. So you assumed it was 306 meters...etc
Yes. If the person who said on Wikipedia that the Shard had reached the same level than MCT (about 306 m) made the same calculation than me, but more probably with the modified drawing.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:16 AM   #2228
erdnisloed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
Speaking of final heights, does anybody know when Mercury City is expected to top out?
Given that the russians still... talk of heights varying between 326.86 m and 338 m ;
Given that they talk of the addition of the equivalent of 5 levels above level 70, which should normally correspond to about 326 m instead ;
Given that we don't know if they mean that the remaining meters are a spire or if those 5 levels are higher than the other ones and reach indeed 338 m ;
Given than the higher they are, the longer they strangely take to be built, although they become smaller and smaller... ;
Given that the construction of a level varied between 6 days (#58) and... 66 days (#67) and the last 4 levels took an average time of 23 days each ;
Given that these differences of time are incomprehensible since they didn't correspond to the beginning or end of a bias and didn't seem to be concerned by the low temperatures ;
Given that the last levels will really get smaller and really smaller and should "normally" take less time, nevertheless ;
Given the average speed of the wind in spring ;
Given the age of the step sister of the captain ;
I would, as a true shadock, reply : GA-ZO-BU

Or "perhaps" 4 months ?!
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2229
Virus2501

Likes (Received): 5929

Virus2501 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2230
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Looks like they've resumed the cladding installation. I see a new row started.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2231
GoR_Vrn

Likes (Received): 934

yes!
GoR_Vrn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2232
Krosh

Likes (Received): 7311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятница View Post
So your point is that rumoured 338 m height of the MCT roof or a pinnacle will be one meter higher than 337 m level of Ostankino observation desk floor?
Great!

BTW, just above the observation desk there are something like 4 levels with different equipment and some personnnel.
Krosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2233
[D1ego]

Likes (Received): 8783

«Mercury City Tower» на Яндекс.Фотках

«Mercury City Tower» на Яндекс.Фотках
[D1ego] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #2234
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 324

[QUOTE=RandomNameTag;89719599]There's actually some controversy on the Shard's final height. Some say 310 m, some say 309 m. The CTBUH has it at 306 m:

The Shard is 310.3 m. measured from AOD (Above Ordinance Datum), which is basically above average sea level. The height from the lowest significant open-air pedestrian entrance is 306.00 m. to the pinnacle. The CTBUH does not measure structures from sea level.
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #2235
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6828

MCT would be 457m tall then 327 + 130
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2236
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 805

This tower's looking great - fantastic progress, and the cladding certainly makes it stand out from the rest of the cluster. Is this getting noticed/talked about/photographed by a lot by people in the city, or is it "just another building" and not really getting any attention?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
There's actually some controversy on the Shard's final height. Some say 310 m, some say 309 m. The CTBUH has it at 306 m:
The Shard is 310.3 m. measured from AOD (Above Ordinance Datum), which is basically above average sea level. The height from the lowest significant open-air pedestrian entrance is 306.00 m. to the pinnacle. The CTBUH does not measure structures from sea level.
Pretty much - it's 306m to the top of the steelwork, but the glass facade goes slightly higher, finishing at 309m, which is the Shard's official AGL height (above ground level). Then as Vito Corleone says, it's just over 310m above sea level, but the official height is 309m.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2237
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 324

I am going to try to get a more detailed drawing of the top of The Shard. I believe you are correct in saying that the highest piece of glass goes a bit beyond 306m above ground level.
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2238
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6828

in any way MCT is ~311-312m at the moment, so shard will never overtake it.

Last edited by coth; March 26th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2239
igor

Likes (Received): 15581

26/03/12

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #2240
gunslinger

Likes (Received): 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperSuperman View Post
This tower's looking great - fantastic progress, and the cladding certainly makes it stand out from the rest of the cluster. Is this getting noticed/talked about/photographed by a lot by people in the city, or is it "just another building" and not really getting any attention?
Well, because the whole cluster is not within easily walkable distance from popular tourist spots like Kremlin, you may walk all day around Moscow's historical downtown and never notice any modern skyscrapers if you stay at ground level. So most people come to IBC on purpose, and I believe it's the whole cluster that works as attention grabber, not any single tower.

On a sunny sunset MCT certainly stands from the crowd though.
gunslinger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe, ibc, moscow, tallest, tower