daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old November 28th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #3901
nerd

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids View Post
So that new LSOA breaks the maximum size?

I can't fathom how that many people can live in that area.
LSOAs also have to contain a minimum number of households. So an area with lots of student halls may have to exceed the maximum of total persons; otherwise it might not contain sufficient private households.
nerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #3902
GShutty

Likes (Received): 302

European Olympics

When London won the Olympics, they were competing against Paris, Moscow & New York. With the best will in the world and with the influx of great cities forth-coming from within the emerging economies, a Manchester Olympics seems a distant dream.

However....... If we can't get the big one, surely there would be a good case to be put forward for the European Olympics. Imagine; an event like that could potentially propel the city forward with a greater momentum, in the same way that the Commonwealth Games did:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20648045
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #3903
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Town is absolutely rammed this evening, X factor, markets, something at the arena means every tram coming into town seems full, all bars and restaurants likewise.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #3904
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 47

Trams are insane today!! I was at Bury and couldn't get on the first one to Alti as it was rammed. Only just got on the next one to Piccadilly. I really feel for everyone else down the line who doesn't stand a chance!
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #3905
nosey

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post
When London won the Olympics, they were competing against Paris, Moscow & New York. With the best will in the world and with the influx of great cities forth-coming from within the emerging economies, a Manchester Olympics seems a distant dream.

However....... If we can't get the big one, surely there would be a good case to be put forward for the European Olympics. Imagine; an event like that could potentially propel the city forward with a greater momentum, in the same way that the Commonwealth Games did:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20648045
Good idea. If there was a European Olympics (which I am surprised has never been one esp given Eurovision, Capital of Culture etc...) Manchester should be in the running for it.

But in relation to the article, since when has Azerbaijan been in Europe? I always thought of it as a Central Asian State.
nosey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #3906
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Town is absolutely rammed this evening, X factor, markets, something at the arena means every tram coming into town seems full, all bars and restaurants likewise.
Couple of points.

First the tram issue. More than ever, Metrolink needs to get it's act together due to the huge demand placed on it by the success of the Manchester city centre.

Second, if you are old enough Kurt you will remember the city centre clearing as soon as the shop closed. The crush is the physical evidence of the city's success.

Third. The crush might be abstract success, but I hate it. It's a cruel mash of humanity in a way that feels like an occupation. I guess you too are ambiguous.

Fourth what is obvious is that the crush is absent in one way. The absence is of anyone under 25. For them the depression affects them in a way that is far more pressing than illustrated.
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3907
VDB

Likes (Received): 1501

Xfactor final, Manchester Derby, Christmas Markets and the typical Christmas shopping rush. No doubt there was something on at the arena on Friday and Saturday too.

This is why Manchester is the third most visited UK city. Not because we have famous icons or anything like that, but because we have the world's second busiest arena, a massive conference complex, 2 football teams which are world famous and other huge events which bring in thousands.

I call it mass-tourism.
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #3908
retroscient

Likes (Received): 20

You're both right about something being on at the Arena - it was The War of the Worlds musical. That's a popular one, so would have definitely added several thousand to the city centre.

A corker of an album, by the way. It may not sound like heaven, but at least it isn't hell... it's a brave new world!
retroscient no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #3909
VDB

LOL.

Quote:
Manchester is the most linguistically diverse city in Europe
The city of half a million people boasts speakers of at least 153 languages including many rare dialects

It boasts City and United, Corrie, world-renowned bands and famously inclement weather. And now Manchester has another claim to fame: the city is arguably the most ethnically diverse in Europe and, possibly, second only to New York in the world.

Linguists at the University of Manchester have discovered that their city boasts a population that speaks at least 153 languages, making it one of the world's most diverse places linguistically.

Research conducted by Professor Yaron Matras, of the University of Manchester's Multilingual Manchester project, suggests the true figure could be even higher.

"Manchester's language diversity is higher than many countries," Matras said. "It is very likely to be top of the list in Europe. As immigration and the arrival of overseas students to the city continues, it's fair to say that this already large list is set to grow."

With a population of half a million, Manchester is a fraction of the size of London, which has some 8 million inhabitants and also scores highly in terms of linguistic diversity. But it appears Manchester punches far above its weight in terms of the number of languages spoken by its inhabitants.

"We know that around two-thirds of Mancunian schoolchildren are bilingual – a huge figure, which indicates just how precious its linguistic culture is," Matras said.

Rare languages spoken in the city include Chitrali from northern Pakistan, Konkani from western India, Dagaare from Ghana, and Uyghur from north-western China.

The city also attracts an increasingly large number of European citizens. "Because of EU enlargement and the access granted to new EU citizens, language diversity in Manchester is more dynamic than most cities," Matras said.

"Melbourne, for example, is famous for its many languages but as it tends to have very established communities it will be less diverse than Manchester. New York, on the other hand, is significantly larger in size and has been attracting immigrants for as long as Manchester, so its diversity is probably greater."

Last week the census revealed that the foreign-born population of England and Wales increased from 4.6 million in 2001 to 7.5 million in 2011. The number of Poles living in England and Wales increased almost 10-fold, from 58,000 to 579,000, between 2001 and 2011, while the Indian-born population increased from 456,000 to 694,000.

"The last decade has seen a very noticeable change in the population of England and Wales, with the foreign-born population increasing from 9% of the population in 2001 to 13% of the population in 2011," said Dr Scott Blinder, deputy director of the migration observatory at the University of Oxford.

But the increase has prompted concerns about assimilation. Labour's leader, Ed Miliband, said: "If we are going to build one nation, we need to start with everyone in Britain knowing how to speak English. We should expect that of people that come here."

Under proposals floated by Labour, the ability to speak English would be mandatory in a greater number of public sector jobs.

But Matras's research suggests the census may have substantially under-estimated the number of multilingual households across the UK. "Most multilinguals speak a language other than English at home, but use English at work or in their place of study, so they will answer that English is their "main" language, even though this is not strictly accurate," he said.
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #3910
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 45

"With a population of half a million, Manchester is a fraction of the size of London, which has some 8 million inhabitants"

Standard Daily Mail shite
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3911
VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
"With a population of half a million, Manchester is a fraction of the size of London, which has some 8 million inhabitants"

Standard Daily Mail shite
It was from the Guardian, but I agree.

Bit disappointing, considering the Guardian was established and is printed in Manchester.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3912
GShutty

Likes (Received): 302

Sorry, picture taken at dusk (Thurs 20/12).

The seven sisters, as i believe they're called in Trafford. Off memory three of these are being dropped and you can just see the core of one on the right still standing. The one on the left of the pic. has already been refurbed and looks decent, though you can't really tell in this light.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3913
VDB

Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #3914
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
It was from the Guardian, but I agree.

Bit disappointing, considering the Guardian was established and is printed in Manchester.
I saw this on the daily mail website around the same time, assumed it was the same article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-500-000.html
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3915
VDB

The Mail often copy and paste articles from other newspapers

Shows how shite they are as a newspaper
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #3916
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I do find it increasingly amusing how the sprogg lights up the forum with his wealth of knowledge as if everyone else is an utter turnip.

I did not know that the Guardian was established and printed in Manchester, nor did I realise the Daily Mail was a turd read after all these years. Thanks.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #3917
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 9

Fuck off mate, yeah?
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #3918
Futurelink
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 38

And a happy new year.
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3919
js1000

Likes (Received): 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post
The seven sisters, as i believe they're called in Trafford. Off memory three of these are being dropped and you can just see the core of one on the right still standing. The one on the left of the pic. has already been refurbed and looks decent, though you can't really tell in this light.

They're knocking them down? Can't remember if those tower blocks were left from the original Hulme Crescents. Remember then being in the shadow of the college I used to attend years ago.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3920
VDB

MANCHESTER DECEMBER 2012 DEVELOPMENT MAP

Here's your lot for this year folks. As it stands, the development map here in Manchester.

Consult the key/legend for info on the colours.

I'll have probably missed some stuff off, but here's hoping I haven't.

2013 will see the construction/completion of a lot of the blue schemes, whilst some of the orange schemes may see the light of day on these forums (but probably non will start, except maybe the Exchange Quay towers).

Have a happy 2013! (Plus, I'll be updating the Construction Timeline for January some day soon. January 2013 looks to be a very interesting month, with plenty of construction starting)