daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #61
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 252

yeh, thats a pc plug in. Whenever I am faced with a site/product that only provides pc compatibility it just strengthens my belief in the mac. Why? A mac developer would never dream of only providing mac compatibility....

Sponsored Links

Old May 27th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #62
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 48

like I say it's not really worth it anyway it's pretty bobbins
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #63
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 115

Edgeley Park Expansion

SALE Sharks have drawn up a £6m blueprint to expand and redevelop Edgeley Park, regardless of whether they win Saturday’s Guinness Premiership final against Leicester, the biggest match in the club's 141-year history.

Two sides of the ground could be rebuilt in time for the 2007-08 season, raising capacity from 10,641 to between 15,000 and 16,000 and, in the longer term still, up to 20,000.

With Sale’s average gates running at 95 per cent of Edgeley Park’s capacity this season, demand is starting to outstrip what the ground can offer.

So, the North West’s only Premiership rugby union club has rejected building a stadium at a new location in favour of developing land behind the open-ended UPM Stand and the covered but antiquated Vernon that runs the length of the pitch.
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #64
Manc Guy

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy
yeh, thats a pc plug in. Whenever I am faced with a site/product that only provides pc compatibility it just strengthens my belief in the mac. Why? A mac developer would never dream of only providing mac compatibility....
Thats well said. I use macs alot for college work etc. The mac was the first ever computer OS i gained access to. Mum being a graphic desinger. Macintosh performa's, then the 1st ever i-macs, and today? a nice 20 inch G5 sitsdownstairs, beautifull! Mac OS is a very solid one at that, i love it!

Using a PC atm, but currently saving up for a MacBookPro. Graphics and music production wise, you cant ask for more, bung a top soundcard in there and your banging! Saving slowly and no doubt i'll get there and it'll be out of date but you buy quality when you buy a mac, so i'm willing to go the distance

Last edited by Manc Guy; May 27th, 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Manc Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #65
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop
SALE Sharks have drawn up a £6m blueprint to expand and redevelop Edgeley Park, regardless of whether they win Saturday’s Guinness Premiership final against Leicester, the biggest match in the club's 141-year history.

Two sides of the ground could be rebuilt in time for the 2007-08 season, raising capacity from 10,641 to between 15,000 and 16,000 and, in the longer term still, up to 20,000.

With Sale’s average gates running at 95 per cent of Edgeley Park’s capacity this season, demand is starting to outstrip what the ground can offer.

So, the North West’s only Premiership rugby union club has rejected building a stadium at a new location in favour of developing land behind the open-ended UPM Stand and the covered but antiquated Vernon that runs the length of the pitch.
If Sale win they could do with a bigger ground because even more people are going to want to watch them and not have that chance. Its gona be like United next season at Sale, really hard to get tickets for any game.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #66
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manc Guy
Thats well said. I use macs alot for college work etc. The mac was the first ever computer OS i gained access to. Mum being a graphic desinger. Macintosh performa's, then the 1st ever i-macs, and today? a nice 20 inch G5 sitsdownstairs, beautifull! Mac OS is a very solid one at that, i love it!

Using a PC atm, but currently saving up for a MacBookPro. Graphics and music production wise, you cant ask for more, bung a top soundcard in there and your banging! Saving slowly and no doubt i'll get there and it'll be out of date but you buy quality when you buy a mac, so i'm willing to go the distance
I like the sound of that G5, I really want one but I cant afford it because I brought a powerbook instead.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #67
Manc Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
I like the sound of that G5, I really want one but I cant afford it because I brought a powerbook instead.
The G5's fantastic andy.

I already got 500 for the Macbook, another grand or so an i'll be there

Cool or what!
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #68
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 3192

Final turn of Manchester wheel

MANCHESTER'S Big Wheel will take its final turn next week - and it won't be back for Christmas.

Attempts to strike a deal to move the 365-tonne attraction from Exchange Square to a new site in the city have failed. The wheel will now close for good at 6pm on Thursday.

Operators World Tourist Attractions - who had offered the city council an extra £50,000 to let them stay in Exchange Square - will now re-start talks with three other places interested in taking the wheel.

Advertisement your story continues below
Senior manager John Lowery said: "It is a bit of a shock, but these things happen in business. We were keen to stay and had support from the public, but we have to respect the council's decision.

"There was talk of us coming back, but because of the time it takes to move and put up the wheel, if we move to another city we would be likely to stay there for the summer and then over Christmas. It is still possible we could be back for Christmas next year."

Fountains

The council had told World Tourist Attractions earlier this year that the wheel could not stay in Exchange Square because of plans to use the BBC big screen to show World Cup matches.

Both parties looked at alternative venues, but Albert Square already has a programme of events for later in the year and the council did not want to take up space in Piccadilly Gardens because families use the grass and fountains.

Senior Labour councillor Pat Karney said: "The wheel has had a fantastic run in Manchester, but we do need the square.

"I am a big fan of the wheel and if they can bring it back I'm up for it."

The wheel has been in Manchester since November last year and has been used by more than 100,000 people.

It was originally due to be dismantled in April, but was reprieved after 89 per cent of people taking part in an M.E.N. poll said they wanted it to stay.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #69
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 462

exchange square is just too small for it, maye it could go on new cathedral street?

>>>Like house music? Click here!<<<
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #70
london lad

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeman
Cheers to london lad for posting the Property Week article about Victoria on thread 12! That precise article hasn't been posted before, so thanks for that.
No probs- I wasn't sure if it had been posted & it related to a very similar one in property week before- Manchester has so much stuff going on at the mo its hard for us non-mancs to keep track of whats what. I think , apart from Liverpool which is also booming, Manchester is leaving all the other cities well behind.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #71
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 152

BBC shelves move north in licence war

Tories claim Grade delayed relocation of flagship departments to Manchester in brinkmanship with Whitehall over a massive funding increase

Ned Temko, chief political correspondent
Sunday May 28, 2006
The Observer

The chairman of the BBC, Michael Grade, has put the brakes on a plan to move flagship divisions of the corporation from London to Manchester, prompting the Tories to accuse him of 'threatening' the government into approving a massive rise in the licence fee.

A senior BBC executive confirmed to The Observer yesterday that the Manchester move, a key plank in the corporation's successful bid for a 10-year renewal of its charter, was under 'tough' scrutiny by Grade and his fellow governors over its currently estimated £400m price tag.

Other BBC sources said a major consideration in the board's current deliberations was the eventual level of the new licence fee, which is under discussion with the government.

The shadow Culture, Media and Sport Secretary, Hugo Swire, described Grade's move as 'brinkmanship and tin-rattling' aimed at prodding the government into agreeing to the BBC's proposal for a licence fee increase of 2.3 per cent above inflation. If approved, the fee could rise to about £180 a year. 'This, I'm sure, is not the last we'll hear of these threats,' Swire said. 'It's basically a negotiating position, and I don't think the government should be diverted from the key issues: what the BBC has asked for and how they've arrived at the figure.'

Swire last week urged the Culture Secretary, Tessa Jowell, not to write 'a blank cheque to fund the corporation's wishlist', after independent research commissioned by ITV said the level of the proposed new licence fee would punish low-income families. The report said that in calculating how high the licence fee should be, the BBC had underestimated increased revenue it would get from the growth in the number of British households. It also alleged that 'unconstrained expansion' by the BBC would crowd out commercial media companies.

While confirming Grade's cost concerns about the Manchester move, the BBC executive in charge of charter renewal issues, Caroline Thompson, said the corporation remained fully committed to the idea. 'Part of our vision for charter renewal was the need to be more representative of the country as a whole,' she said. 'Moving to Manchester is a key part of that.'

The plan would involve shifting the whole of BBC Sport, two of the BBC's television channels - CBeebies and CBBC - most of Five Live radio and the BBC's new-media division to the north. Thompson said there would also be more programme-making in Scotland and Wales.

She said that Grade and the governors strongly shared that vision, 'but it is true they have pressed us very hard on the cost. They've been very aggressive on that issue.' The London Olympics in 2012 have already been cited as a reason why sport may stay in the capital.

Asked to comment on another source's contention that the board was in fact planning to 'kick the idea into the very long grass,' Thompson told The Observer: 'I don't think they'll do that. I don't think he [Grade] wants to do that. But he does feel very strongly that there is a need to make sure that it is value for money.'

The cost of the Manchester move, originally estimated at more than £600m, has fallen sharply in the past few months - a drop which Thompson said was understandable as BBC planners narrowed down possible sites from an original four to the current two.

She predicted the cost might come down further when the corporation settled on the final site. The other major component in calculating the licence-fee proposal was the BBC's share of funding Britain's switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting.

Thompson rebutted the charge in the ITV-commissioned report, echoed by Swire, that commercial media initiatives could be squeezed out by an increasingly well-funded and wide-ranging BBC empire. 'I have never been one to deny that the BBC represents a market intervention,' she said. But that, particularly under the new charter arrangements, was balanced by the BBC's own commitment to applying a 'public value test' to all that it did and by the planned role of the media regulator Ofcom in overseeing market effects
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #72
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 396

Ah well... thats just bloody brilliant...
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #73
Manc Guy

Great...

******* country, politics an all that.

It's funny i had the very feeling this was going to be the reason it'll fall through, if it ever did. The brakes are on, but if the metrolink saga is anything to go by, they wont come off for along time, if ever! It'll be funny to see what the tories make of this. They'll concentrate tottally on the possible liscence rise and nothing on Manchester loosing out. Thats why i'll never vote for 'em...

Travesty...

Last edited by Manc Guy; May 28th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #74
jrb
10th February 2008

How much credibility has this article got? Just over two weeks before the announcement is made, and the Guardian drops this bombshell! How convenient. Do you really think both the Central Spine/Media City camps would have continued promoting both locations if they knew the BBC move North had been canceled? (I think not) Put it this way, Howard Bernstein and Falicity Goody would have heard about this apparent news long before any hack working for the Guardian would have. Unfortunately It's the Southern press again, trying to destabilize the move up North!
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #75
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 152

On a side note, where is the metrolink announcement that was supposedly held back until after the local elections as the "good news" might unfairly affect the results or some over bollocks like that. If the announcement was ready to be made a few months ago why havent we heard yet?

If only we had government in this country closer to the German system, think what Manchester, and the north West as a whole could do for itself.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #76
chasedwar
the man who builds cities

Likes (Received): 5

Realtime 3D Ancoats Urban Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybling
like I say it's not really worth it anyway it's pretty bobbins

Any other feedback, good or bad?

So Roly, bobbins of cotton, rotten you think?
come on you can do better than that? how about abit of constructive criticism?

Does the realtime walkabout not give you a better feel of the Ancoats project, you have the freedom to explore whatever you want to see, rather than what the architects/developers want you to see.

The 3D city model is a digital asset that helps the regeneration team better manage the scheme, see proposals within the existing environment, it helps the planning process and hopefully eliminates misstakes.

you can either walk around, have a fly thru or/and take pictures anywhere and they will be saved onto your desktop.
select any building and information and a individual 3D model appears which you can move 360 degrees. (although not all links work proper yet) remember this is yet to be linked to the ancoats Urban village site yet.
I will take a few screen shots and photobucket them on here for you guys who have macs. really sorry about that. I will have words with the web programer.

So bammy you use Mac's at work too. Studio Max and CAD on a Mac, ive never heard of that, I thought Macs only had a hold on graphic design field.
How do you use the software with only a 1 button mouse?
I used to use a mac at college, nothing against them.

PS guys, esecially the new members, pls dont lower the tone within the forum, as VIP's lurk within these threads, I know for sure.
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #77
b4mmy
★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedwar
So bammy you use Mac's at work too. Studio Max and CAD on a Mac, ive never heard of that, I thought Macs only had a hold on graphic design field. How do you use the software with only a 1 button mouse?
Yes we have Macs, and a few pcs. Studio Max isnt available for the Mac so we use Vectorworks, Artlantis and Cinema 4D. We use the pcs for exporting autocad data and doing the odd bit of studio max work. Its true that the mac is not as well supported for 3D but Cinema 4D, Maya and Form Z are heavyweight applications.
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #78
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy
Yes we have Macs, and a few pcs. Studio Max isnt available for the Mac so we use Vectorworks, Artlantis and Cinema 4D. We use the pcs for exporting autocad data and doing the odd bit of studio max work. Its true that the mac is not as well supported for 3D but Cinema 4D, Maya and Form Z are heavyweight applications.
FM! That sounds heavy B! Haven't you got any Crayons?
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #79
b4mmy
★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
FM! That sounds heavy B! Haven't you got any Crayons?
I think I have a rubber somewhere... so there must be a pencil in the vicinity.
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #80
Ephemera
Not even Doom music...

Likes (Received): 0

Two quick questions:

1. What is the name of the building going up on Mosley Street (almost) opposite the art gallery?

2. And why is it so shit?

It looks like a second rate carpark, with the white stone cladding looking like cheap poured concrete. Just bad in my opinion, but I suppose it fits in with some of the other naff buildings on that street.
Ephemera no está en línea   Reply With Quote