daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #441
delores

Likes (Received): 191

hehe..
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #442
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
the island is impressive, But I've yet to see a building of any real quality here, Everything seems to be painted concrete with stick on arabic details and domes and pvu windows that look rather cheap and tacky. Its hardly anything special, I think though the landscaping will hide most of this nastiness and will look great from an arial shot! I wonder how all the cars will cope on an island in the sea? I hope they have good warrantys for rust.
I like the houses but it does look like something is missing....houses with brick facades. It would be nice if they threw in some houses with brick, cobblestone and wooden facades.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #443
El Huarache for Real
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I like the houses but it does look like something is missing....houses with brick facades. It would be nice if they threw in some houses with brick, cobblestone and wooden facades.
Houses with brick facades are very ugly. Maybe you don`t know, but only in cold countries there are a lot of ugly houses with brick facades. (i don`t know why, i think it is bause the rain and the snow).

In countries where there is not a lot of ******* rain and snow, houses don`t need the brick facades.

The wood is for isolation (cold). But you need marble floors in a hot country.
El Huarache for Real no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #444
El Huarache for Real
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by connected_ View Post
I'm sorry but these houses absolutely suck. If I paid that much, I would not want to see my neighbour with the exact same house painted in the exact same pallettes with a pool and landscaping resembling mine. Not to mention they look like they were designed in the 70's by flamboyant "architects". And that white "ultra modern" villa is probably the worst of the lot. Is this meant to look like the fake town Jim Carrey's character grew up in on The Truman Show? If that's what they were going for, then they definitely succeeded.

To the Dubai fanatics: bash me all you want. They're just words after all.
Well, everything is about perception, and perception is very subjective. I think those houses are very nice, they are not great but they are nice.

I always have thinked that Australia is a vey boring country with the same buildings you can find in the US (a fake copy of US).But all those kangaroos are the only thing that makes your country a litle bit interesting. Bash me all you want, but they are just words after all.
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #445
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 3822

NARROW MINDED ... enough said
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #446
connected_

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
NARROW MINDED ... enough said
Umm how does it make me narrow minded for not liking the way The Palm has turned out? If you didn't like Sydney, would that make you narrow minded? Of course not. It's just that when I first heard about The Palm, I was in awe for weeks thinking about how crazy it is to reclaim land from under the sea on such a large scale. Now when I see the way things have turned out... I'm just not impressed. I'm sorry if that doesn't meet your standards, but that's just how I feel.
connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #447
AltinD
The Modecator

It was mostly directed to delores.
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #448
cp1

I have to say iam quite impressed how this project eventually turned out. Atleast their is some variation between house designs. I would def purchase a house their.
cp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #449
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by connected_ View Post
If I paid that much

you know how much those house cost in the first place?

u won't even get a London one bedroom for this money..
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #450
El Huarache for Real
BANNED

How much does these palm houses cost right now and H. M. 1 year ago?

Nobody knows?
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #451
billyandmandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
children, just remember, if global warming has its way this will be back underwater in 10 years. So just relax on both sides of the fence.
so true.
billyandmandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #452
A.U.S. arch. Student

Likes (Received): 33

More random pictures of paradise; of course remeber its a matter of taste, so I call it paradise. About global warming since this is in the Persian/Arabian Gulf lol couldnt there be a flood gate that is at the entrance of the gulf so the amount of water is controlled the comes into the gulf, I think they would do that because the middle east has many reclamation projects going on not just in Dubai so im sure they have some sort of plan if the waters are to rise.

Ok the Architecture on the 'Italian' House isnt mind blowing but its only about 3-4 million dollars on a man made island in the middle of the ocean with views of skyscrapers, the beach, 5 star hotels like the phenomenal Atlantis, Trump Tower on the trunk of the palm, Burj Al Arab, Burj Dubai,ect, yes space is narrow but think about the massive development the palm is and once it matures and is cleaned up and green it will no doubt be the most revered tourist destination. Of course if you want ultimate privacy and less people go to the world islands!

Shoreline Apts on the trunk with astounding views as well, just be patient, this project will get better

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by A.U.S. arch. Student; February 9th, 2007 at 12:45 AM.
A.U.S. arch. Student no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #453
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 224

^ Building a flood gate for the entire gulf would be unprecedented in cost.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #454
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by great184 View Post
Less costly than having major coastal cities underwater. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the oceans rising anytime soon. If it ever happens I think it's centuries off.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #455
A.U.S. arch. Student

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by great184 View Post
Well something will have to be done, billions of dollars have be invested, im sure nakheel and the other investors of these man-made islands wont let their developments become under-water cities (if they did the great barrier reef would be a joke compared to these islands lol). Like FM said it'll be a while so their is time to devise a plan they just have act now before its to late.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #456
TowerPower
Ashld-biggest little city

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
children, just remember, if global warming has its way this will be back underwater in 10 years. So just relax on both sides of the fence.
The most recent predictions put global sea level rise at only 2 ft. in the next 100 years. The Palm Jumeriah's not going to be underwater in our lifetimes.
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #457
Goss

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Huarache for Real View Post
How much does these palm houses cost right now and H. M. 1 year ago?

Nobody knows?
I paid 5.3M Durams for a 5 bedroom Antrim 11 lGarden Villa last April.With its relatively high number on the Frond and views of the Burg it is now worth 8M.When all the Fronds are handed over by July the prices are expected to rise to about 10M.
Originally the prices for the Garden villas were 2.6M -about £450000-the Signatures were 5.2 (now on the market for up to 15M)
Goss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #458
Pablo
Jian Fa

Likes (Received): 2

after seeing those pics..make me feel like wanna own a bungalow over there..very nice.
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #459
AltinD
The Modecator

The Palm Jumeirah is 3 - 4 meters above sea level. The entire country of Maldives is 1.5 m above sea level on it's highest place.

How many millions, or should I say hundreds of millions of people lives in less then 3 meters above the sea level? So please stop posting non-sense.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #460
Dr. Dubai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Actually I am

I'm living one meter below sea level in the Netherlands, 8 million Dutchies do, some even 4 or 5 meter below sea level

But we're quite good in building dikes, so I don't worry. And if you're living on one of the Palms, you surely don't need to worry!
Dr. Dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai