search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #461
delores

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
It was mostly directed to delores.
narrow minded? I won't go there. But Maybe you should look at things more subjectivly than just purely throwing praise at a project thats not perfect by any means.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #462
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6054

Well, you despised the project becouse the houses don't look like in your hometown and have an islamic theme on them, when they are build in an islamic country and have to blend with the enviroment they are in. You can't pretenmd to have multicolored building in a single colored enviroment, such desert.

As for the "looking cheap" those are the same "arguments" that we hear everytime from people that fail to realise Vegas and Disney just copied other architectures so is stupid calling a place Vegas or Disney-like, when the laters got the inspiration from the former in the first place.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #463
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

The way that the floor tiles is done is awesome. I like the thin border like things
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #464
A.U.S. arch. Student

Likes (Received): 42

[IMG]http://i1.************/33eh6hz.jpg[/IMG]
Does anyone know if the 55 million dollar landscape initiative will include the planting of palm trees or any plants on the beaches (or is it even possible for anything to grow on the beach)?? I think if they plant something it would really help make the island look more natural, heres wht the palm jumeirah beaches should look like, [IMG]http://i15.************/2jequit.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i4.************/2rrwbgm.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #465
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

It would certainly make the beaches more picturesque by having small clusters of palm trees along the beaches. I think too many would spoil the views from each of the villas.
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #466
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocShergar View Post
It would certainly make the beaches more picturesque by having small clusters of palm trees along the beaches. I think too many would spoil the views from each of the villas.
Views of what? Villas on the other side of the fronds? I'm sure the view from the second storeys of these villas would be unobstructed by palms anyway (somehow I don't see them reaching that height considering how the villas are elevated above the beach). :P Palms in clusters like that would make The Palm absolutely amazing!!
connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #467
billyandmandy

Likes (Received): 0

well it is a PALM after all... It deffinitely should have more palms (and flowers, and bushes etc.)
billyandmandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #468
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

http://i17.************/2qip9nk.jpg

you can see they are on a good way but u need to give the environment some time to settle.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #469
A.U.S. arch. Student

Flo I agree the environment needs sometime to settle but I do think the beaches look stark without the clusters of palm trees, it looks unnatural, I mean two plams on the beach per house would not hinder the views for villa owners it would add to it, i wonder if villa owners can plant palms on their on, hopefully they can; also can owners change the color of their house if they choose to?
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #470
Vanman

Likes (Received): 26

Wow i'm sorry to say but those villas on the beach really do look cheap. The designs of them are fine it's just they lack alot of detail. There are too many blank walls with just windows and nothing else. Also everything looks as though it is painted concrete (which will peel and crack over time). And the cement pavers leading down to the beach look like the cheapest you could possibly find at a Home Depot.

I was really excited about the palm but now that I see the final results I'm dissapointed.
Vanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #471
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.U.S. arch. Student View Post
Flo I agree the environment needs sometime to settle but I do think the beaches look stark without the clusters of palm trees, it looks unnatural, I mean two plams on the beach per house would not hinder the views for villa owners it would add to it, i wonder if villa owners can plant palms on their on, hopefully they can; also can owners change the color of their house if they choose to?
A beach WITH alot of Palm trees WILL look UNNATURAL. This is NOT tropic.
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #472
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

I thnk it looks pretty unatrual from the beginning but still its very cool project and the the palm trees will look well placed.
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #473
A.U.S. arch. Student

Quote:
That makes no sense, have you ever bin to the beach lol; lookin at the photos I posted you clearly can see that a beach with many palm trees is a common thing, I live on the beach in the bahamas and florida where there are plenty of palms on the beach, india's beaches has plenty of plams and I can go on and on about various beaches around the world that are infested with palm trees lol , in conclusion the beaches look like something is missin and its not people its some sort of vegitation.

Last edited by A.U.S. arch. Student; February 14th, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
A.U.S. arch. Student no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #474
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

there are palms that can use salt water to grow. And i think they would be pretty cool if they did that, maybe it should be on the plan for the other palms.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #475
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
What exactly is "natural" about the Palm anyway? Let's not fool ourselves, it's an awesome project but let's not get carried away
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #476
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.U.S. arch. Student View Post
That makes no sense, have you ever bin to the beach lol; lookin at the photos I posted you clearly can see that a beach with many palm trees is a common thing, I live on the beach in the bahamas and florida where there are plenty of palms on the beach, india's beaches has plenty of plams and I can go on and on about various beaches around the world that are infested with palm trees lol , in conclusion the beaches look like something is missin and its not people its some sort of vegitation, This is a topic.

Bahamas, Florida, India are located in the tropic while Dubai is located in the desert.

Tropical enviroment is full of palm trees and other vegetations, desert enviroment is with a few palm trees and small bushes scatered scarcerly around.

Don't tell me you overlooked such a fondamental thing, hope as a architect you'll not do the same.
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #477
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
What exactly is "natural" about the Palm anyway? Let's not fool ourselves, it's an awesome project but let's not get carried away
You also didn't read my post, or overlooked the last and most important part of it.
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #478
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
there are palms that can use salt water to grow. And i think they would be pretty cool if they did that, maybe it should be on the plan for the other palms.
That's true but at the price of up to $10,000 a piece, it would be to much of a stretch to create an artificial TROPICAL jungle.
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #479
A.U.S. arch. Student

Doesnt dubai have the largest date palm farm in the world, it wouldnt be a stretch to use those palms on the beach, I mean isnt the island called 'The Palm.' Yes as an architect I would plant palms and other plant species on the beach and else where, especially that my focus is in landscape architecture and urban development; date palms thrive in a desert enviroment, most of the plants that thrive in Dubai thrive in the Bahamas, India, and Florida; that includes date palms, travelers palms, thatch trees, flame tree, jacaranda, bottle palms, desert roses, bouginvillea, bottle brush trees, royal palms, cocnut trees, tigers claw trees, ect. I can go on and on about plants that thrive in a desert enviroment which can also grow in a tropical enviroment in my back yard in florida and the bahamas lol. The island reclamation projects or Dubai are meant to have a tropical feel to them, just look at the water homes of jebel ali and the water homes of movenpic on the crescent of palm j., that clearly is an influence from the water homes of indonesia and the maldives which are in a tropical enviroment, also look at the show home island on 'the world' there are over 100 palms on that island and of varying species, and it looks spectacular. I rest my case lol.

Last edited by A.U.S. arch. Student; February 14th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
A.U.S. arch. Student no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #480
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 397

I think they will place more palms in the area, as you wrote a Palm Beach without palms will be nothing, but still saw in the last picture some palms, I think also that maybe there will be more palm at the center of The Palm, the hotel and not in the residential area.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai