daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #481
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.U.S. arch. Student View Post
Doesnt dubai have the largest date palm farm in the world, it wouldnt be a stretch to use those palms on the beach, I mean isnt the island called 'The Palm.' Yes as an architect I would plant palms and other plant species on the beach and else where, especially that my focus is in landscape architecture and urban development; date palms thrive in a desert enviroment, most of the plants that thrive in Dubai thrive in the Bahamas, India, and Florida; that includes date palms, travelers palms, thatch trees, flame tree, jacaranda, bottle palms, desert roses, bouginvillea, bottle brush trees, royal palms, cocnut trees, tigers claw trees, ect. I can go on and on about plants that thrive in a desert enviroment which can also grow in a tropical enviroment in my back yard in florida and the bahamas lol. The island reclamation projects or Dubai are meant to have a tropical feel to them, just look at the water homes of jebel ali and the water homes of movenpic on the crescent of palm j., that clearly is an influence from the water homes of indonesia and the maldives which are in a tropical enviroment, also look at the show home island on 'the world' there are over 100 palms on that island and of varying species, and it looks spectacular. I rest my case lol.

As I said, a quality Palm tree costs up to $10,000 and is imported from Australia.

However if an villa owner is willing to spend and plant his own palm trees on the beach, I doubt Nakheel will object to it.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #482
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

Likes (Received): 2

I think this project is very stunning. While I don't care too much for the architectural style of the mansions [I'm a log cabin in the woods fan], I think they fit the project and area perfectly. I am sure the people of Dubai would think Dallas houses were boring [and all the new McMansions are] and that they all look alike [which they do].

The one thing I see is that there's not much beach in front of some of these homes. If I paid as much as these folks will, I'd want more sand out front.

I agree there's too many mansions for my taste, but remember this is a tourist trap of the highest order. I doubt they'll have any trouble selling them all in time.

While I will likely never live anywhere but here in Texas, I love these projects and would love to see them someday. Of course since I don't fly that will be some feat getting there by boat.
TexasSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #483
A.U.S. arch. Student

Likes (Received): 42

[IMG]http://i19.************/30clnkg.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i15.************/47blu2o.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i19.************/40274mx.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i18.************/4dywwvn.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i13.************/47j95ia.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i9.************/3z26dqq.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i13.************/4dzcivm.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i15.************/2a62rr4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i16.************/48fszgw.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i15.************/2lksnyp.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #484
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Likes (Received): 2

very nice pics, will look into a holiday to dubai soon....
ccfc-4-life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #485
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

wow, wonderful pics!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #486
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 410

Excellent picture of the house, I would like to live in one of them, the designs are awsome and the houses are huge.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM   #487
A.U.S. arch. Student

Views from Al Kazim, What a pleasant office space to work in!
[IMG]http://i12.************/3093aiu.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM   #488
Dr. Dubai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Supershot!
Dr. Dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM   #489
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

cant say im a fan of the buildings on the palm trunk,
but the houses on the fronds... WOW

whoever here owns a house on the fronds needs to have an SSC meet in their palm villa
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:32 PM   #490
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

but you can see nothing is going on at the Pearl site, harm
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM   #491
Woolie

Likes (Received): 4

Hmmmm...I'm not a big fan of the houses interior. The exterior is not bad, it kinda reminds me of the US "southwestern" style.
Woolie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:23 PM   #492
rexdmx

Likes (Received): 0

which frond in your opinion is the best one and which view should it have
rexdmx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #493
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

18.02.2007 By SSP

Stephan23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:12 PM   #494
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

difficult to imagine that the size of the palm jumeirah is only the base of palm deira!!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:02 AM   #495
hades
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Nice view!!!
hades no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM   #496
MJBU
I'm alive

Likes (Received): 226

how can people like this place to live, for christ this is not a really nice place the whaether is hot, always and + the global warming is gona get worse over there, because is in the middle of the dessert, just because they are building up a whole bounch of buildings and some other proyect does mean that this place is one of the most beautiful places ever. honestly this city is not my place, i rather live in mexico city. than living in this fancing oven.
im sorry but true hurts.
MJBU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #497
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

nice pics and updates
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:20 AM   #498
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.U.S. arch. Student View Post
Doesnt dubai have the largest date palm farm in the world, it wouldnt be a stretch to use those palms on the beach, I mean isnt the island called 'The Palm.' Yes as an architect I would plant palms and other plant species on the beach and else where, especially that my focus is in landscape architecture and urban development; date palms thrive in a desert enviroment, most of the plants that thrive in Dubai thrive in the Bahamas, India, and Florida; that includes date palms, travelers palms, thatch trees, flame tree, jacaranda, bottle palms, desert roses, bouginvillea, bottle brush trees, royal palms, cocnut trees, tigers claw trees, ect. I can go on and on about plants that thrive in a desert enviroment which can also grow in a tropical enviroment in my back yard in florida and the bahamas lol. The island reclamation projects or Dubai are meant to have a tropical feel to them, just look at the water homes of jebel ali and the water homes of movenpic on the crescent of palm j., that clearly is an influence from the water homes of indonesia and the maldives which are in a tropical enviroment, also look at the show home island on 'the world' there are over 100 palms on that island and of varying species, and it looks spectacular. I rest my case lol.
Dubai has 40 million date Palms (pheonix palm) in plantations and transplants on average 4000 trees into the city every month and have been going it for years. Just think howe many that is , so while you see construction pics on theis site, we who live here see miles of green belts, forestry plantation projects, parks and lakes.
Where I live I have thousands of trees (palms and delonics etc) as well as flamingos, parets, desert foxes, hares, probably another 20 bird species, fish in the lake so the eco systemsn are being created but things take time. Everyone lampoons dubai as artificial but once the organic nature of the landscaping matures it will have a different feel
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:22 AM   #499
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojbarrientos87 View Post
how can people like this place to live, for christ this is not a really nice place the whaether is hot, always and + the global warming is gona get worse over there, because is in the middle of the dessert, just because they are building up a whole bounch of buildings and some other proyect does mean that this place is one of the most beautiful places ever. honestly this city is not my place, i rather live in mexico city. than living in this fancing oven.
im sorry but true hurts.
It must be hard leaving in New Jersey
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM   #500
A.U.S. arch. Student

I agree AltinD , SA BOY wht u said sounds good, I guess yea give it time lol, I certainly dont think Dubai ilooks artificial, I just think the Palm J. beaches looked bland without any landscaping, but I guess you are right give it time, the Palm and all the projects will be 1st class when done and matured.

Tags
dubai