daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #761
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM Putra View Post
Hope the trees not dead. For similar houses, I think that's why we have house number.
Believe it or not, some houses has NO number. One time I was trying to find where my friend live in. I looked around to find her house and noticed almost all houses in one neighborhood has no number next to garage door or entry door or curb or landscapes at all. I had to contact her about how to find her... She had to describle to me what her front yard looks like since all houses are exactly same but different landscapes. I found her and asked her why no house on this neighborhood has no number? She said she thinks that is because its private property and each property owner doesn't required to put their number on their property. Its weird!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #762
weird
vagamundo

No, It's Palm Jumeirah and it's sci-fi.. A luxury complex which rise from water
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #763
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

The Palms

With new residents arriving every day and celebrities continuing to splash out millions on luxury homes, Palm Jumeirah’s global profile has never been bigger. But alongside the praise and press inches are a growing number of claims that the development is an environmental disaster in waiting and will be drastically affected by global climate change. There are also stories doing the rounds that the other two Palms – at Jebel Ali and Deira – will never be finished due to crippling construction problems – something Nakheel strongly deny.

Whenever global warming stories hit the headlines in Dubai, speculation begins that the three palm developments off the coast of Dubai will be submerged should sea levels rise. In the past, bosses at Nakheel – the property firm creating the three palms – have declined to fight back against these claims. They have also remained fairly tight-lipped on accusations that marine life is being destroyed and that they do not care about the consequences of what they are doing. But in an interview with Time Out, Nakheel’s environmental manager, Shaun Lenehan, urged anyone who can prove the rumours to try and do so.

Surely it’s a fair point to suggest that dumping millions of tonnes of sand in the sea will have massively damaged the marine environment in the area?

It actually is not a fair point. I find it amazing that people make these claims when they actually know very little about the subject. Do they think we would just go ahead with a development without looking at the environmental impact? In the area where the Palm Jumeirah has been built, there was not a huge amount of marine life to speak of. There have been claims that vast areas of coral have been destroyed but independent experts know this is honestly not the case. These rumours start on the internet and then people start to believe it is fact. Where is the proof?
A lot of people point to the fact there is no independent body looking at what you are doing as a big problem. If Nakheel were doing anything wrong then who is going to stop you?
You need to look at this from a financial perspective. The big global banks are lending money to people who buy homes on Palm Jumeirah – why would they do that if it were eventually going to be underwater? We have looked at this and if, for argument’s sake, the sea level was to rise dramatically then Deira and other parts of Dubai would be submerged before the Palms as the islands are actually higher. In terms of the supposed damage to sea life then we allow people to have a look at the marine life around the Palm to show that despite all these rumours it is actually in a healthier state than before. If Time Out wants to send someone diving in the area then it can be arranged.

The location of the Palms mean the development is very open to the elements and at some point, people’s homes will get a severe battering in a storm. How will they cope?

The amount of studies that were completed before building started is totally comprehensive. For example, we looked at the possibility of a one-in-100 year storm – the worst storm that could happen in the area – and made sure all the buildings could cope. It is true that off the coast of Dubai there will be a storm surge and there was one of these several years ago. It would mean a water level increase but all three Palms can definitely cope with a storm surge.

Since they were first designed, both the Palm Jebel Ali and Palm Deira have slightly moved in terms of the area they cover. The reasons why range from the idea there was not enough sand to make them that big to the possibility they would go into waters not belonging to Dubai. What really happened?

Palm Jebel Ali was slightly shifted for environmental reasons – we found that there were some fairly decent corals in the area. They are monitored so we don’t damage them but that was the real reason for the change in design. All the stuff about no sand is plain nonsense – there have been slight shifts in the exact location where the two Palms are being built but they are just for construction reasons and some places are more difficult to build on than others.

There are many unusual things written about Palm Jumeirah but one of the more believable stories is that you have had big problems with venomous sea snakes getting into homes. Is David Beckham likely to be attacked by one these creatures when he moves in?

There are sea snakes in these waters, but they are very rare, and although I have seen a couple, they would not be able to get actually onto the Palm. The way it is built means that cannot happen, so there are no concerns with them coming into contact with residents. They are venomous, but they only have really small mouths and find it difficult to bite. This is just another of those mad rumours about the Palm – we get these kind of stories all the time.

Environmental consequences

There have been many international experts who claim construction of the Palms has had a devastating impact on marine life off the coast of Dubai. Locally, conservationists also say that the heavy amount of construction is without doubt having an effect. And fishermen Time Out spoke to say some species of fish once found relatively close to Dubai’s shoreline are no longer in the area and are only caught a lot further out to sea.

‘Damage has been done – I am pretty certain any expert would recognise that,’ says international marine biologist Peter Linley. ‘But it is not all doom and gloom as to be honest there was not much life in that area to begin with. But it will have affected fish inhabiting the area and so there is a negative effect. In my opinion the real problem may come in the future when there are thousands and thousands of people living and working on these islands. If they are not responsible with waste, then the damage to the sea could be very severe.’

In response to this, Nakheel say they will manage waste produced on all of the Palm developments in a ‘very responsible and technologically advanced manner’.

Time Out
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #764
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

I don't get why people are excited about this project, besides for the sheer size of it... The houses are very plain and the view is crap (a row of uninspired villas). I wouldn't wonna live there for all the money in the world. I love most of the developments in Dubai, but this one is really awful!
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #765
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1800

The island looks great
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:21 AM   #766
saraprobe

Likes (Received): 376

Is there precautions taken in case of a Tsunami? Coz this is like Maldives, all on sea level
saraprobe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM   #767
Goss

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboe View Post
I don't get why people are excited about this project, besides for the sheer size of it... The houses are very plain and the view is crap (a row of uninspired villas). I wouldn't wonna live there for all the money in the world. I love most of the developments in Dubai, but this one is really awful!
A strange observation coming from a resident of Belguim
Goss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM   #768
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

what the hell is that supposed to mean? Houses here are way more beautiful than those prefab villas... And, like I said, I do like the amazing scrapers over there, I'm just saying that this project is awful and boring
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM   #769
A.U.S. arch. Student

Likes (Received): 42

Posted earlier by Palm-er in the UAE section
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm-er View Post
Still no formal reply re Al Msalli handover, just the phone call on Sunday advising delay!

In the meantime, my sister and family have just taken possetion of their D frond villa, Here is her feedback.

Here's a note to add to your Palm Forum - I'm sure everyone will want to know this info (perhaps you can cut and paste):

1. Snagging team are all pro-active Europeans / Aussie's that understand that we expect house to be perfect and will ensure it is (although it may take few weeks to address all items - which is fair enough).

2. Cleaning teams of 20 people fully clean every inch (literally) of house before handover.

3. Villas on D and E have less snagging, since the construction is of much higher quality. The finish is really good. They were built by the China State Construction Co. and were finished in very clean way. Other fronds (constructed by different contractors, - some local) were not half as lucky, with overall finish not comparable to villas on D and E, so more snagging, and correction is expected on those ones. A friend of mine on P frond, found her home so badly finished that she's ripped out all bathrooms, floors and kitchen and has brought in her own contractors to re-do it herself.

Now for the really interesting news: Re. life on the Palm,

1. Exceeds all expectations (and trust me I have huge ones!!). Villas are more spacious than initially expected. Its so very calm and peaceful, you cant help but chill out. Views are spectacular, wherever you are located, either at the low or high ended numbers for the villas, after all, sea is sea, so everyone gets a lovely view to wake up to and we just find that we are drawn to the rooms overlooking the sea and just keep watching it change as the day evolves and sunset goes on.

2. Everyone is friendly and makes that special effort (I guess because we've ALL waited SO long to get these houses) - landscaping is in full swing in everyone's villas to help develop the greenery effect. Let's face it, most people are pretty affluent, so are willing to make their island extra special - & its working! Lots of internal re-construction & re-modelling is going on also I believe.

3. Everyone tends to keep their external lights on at night, (thanks to all those Palm-ers) which makes for a spectacular shimmering view across the sea in between the fronds, making it look like a real resort, or even a mini Monaco (truly is a wonderful site). Candles and fire torches light the whole place up, across the gardens, around the pools and down the steps leading to the beach.

4. Everyone living in the villas just seem to be really chilled out and in a very happy mood relaxing in their back gardens, & on the beach it seems. Everyone is sociable, waving at neighbours etc. Evening and weekends see many visitors over also, with lots of bevvies and BBQ's going on...... kids enjoying the pools, beach....

5. Security is good, stop us every time to make sure we have our access badges displayed on car windscreens.

6. Lots of bright blue jelly fish washed up on shore each morning. Quite a few moths around the houses also, which is surprising. Schools of fish and even star fish have been spotted. Some fish almost jump out of the water, especially just before sunset, and some birds swoop down and pluck fish from the sea. We have 2 miner birds that come each morning and afternoon to wash and drink from the edge of our swimming pool, then shake themselves dry - very cute, and a constant soure of amusement for our kids.

5. It's only going to get better and better and then even more better......... WOW!!!!! How many other places on earth are this good? Even the temperature is a few degrees less than on the mainland. Driving off the Sh. Zayed Road after a long day's work, and onto the Palm feels like entering another world. Instant Chill-Out!!!! Hope everyone enjoys it as much.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM   #770
VikkyD
Yip-Eyey-Kie-Ay

Likes (Received): 1

its the suburbs... on a beach!
VikkyD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM   #771
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

eek! i have lived here for 9 years an never seen a jelly fish!!! blue ones?? hmm.... maybe man-o-war? haha i love the palm
joobn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM   #772
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

23/May/2007

Palm Jumeirah and the Atlantis from Time Place

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM   #773
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2856

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraprobe View Post
Is there precautions taken in case of a Tsunami? Coz this is like Maldives, all on sea level
I'm pretty sure there are no active fault lines near dubai, and no tsunami could hit for a very long time (millenia). However should a tsunami hit, the fact that dubai has the palms will not make much difference to the damage one would cause. The indonesian tsunami went miles inland, so the whole of dubai would be flooded and the fact that the palms got flooded first would mean very little.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:07 PM   #774
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

The Palm will be the LAST to be flooded becouse it is actually higher above sea level then MOST of Dubai.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM   #775
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobn View Post
eek! i have lived here for 9 years an never seen a jelly fish!!! blue ones?? hmm.... maybe man-o-war? haha i love the palm
Those buggers are everywhere now, even on the enclosed waterways of Madinat Jumeirah.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #776
hg3z15aa_1
dubai cool

one of my wish is suerly to get a villa like theise in palm.. i mean this is like the 8 world wonders..
hg3z15aa_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #777
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

Wow! Nice pics! Atlantis is coming along nicely!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #778
The Manc
BANNED

Whats the score with the Tiara residence? Is it fully sold out like the rest of the plkace or are there still apartments to buy off plan?
The Manc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #779
Okan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

8th world wonder
Okan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #780
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

the pictures from the Palms are fantastic tnx Imre for your fantastic daily effort
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai