daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #821
Wendy is here!
...Schirmatilen...

Likes (Received): 0

Did anyone see that documentary on The World development? (UK television)
Wendy is here! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #822
jaja3000jaja
Masters Student

Likes (Received): 3

I hope this isn't too retarded of a question but how warm is the sea water from the beach of one of the houses on the palm? I have yet to see a picture with a beach full of people swimming in it.
jaja3000jaja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #823
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

People are only just moving in and its not a retarded question

I dont know but I imagine it would be a very comfortable temperature.
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #824
jaja3000jaja
Masters Student

yes, but even in pictures of resorts there are some empty beaches
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #825
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

I'd live there in a heartbeat. Anywhere, even if it was in a ditch in that area..
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #826
jaja3000jaja
Masters Student

lol, I almost feel the same way, except I would prefer a house along a frond.
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #827
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentient Seas View Post
I'd live there in a heartbeat. Anywhere, even if it was in a ditch in that area..
why?
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #828
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Why? Because I love large cities and Dubai falls under that category plus 1. I've always been interested in Dubai, and any chance I had to live there I would take.

Maybe it seems weird to you, but that's just me.
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #829
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentient Seas View Post
Why? Because I love large cities and Dubai falls under that category plus 1. I've always been interested in Dubai, and any chance I had to live there I would take.

Maybe it seems weird to you, but that's just me.
fair enough. I do find it weird, but hey, I hope you make it there someday
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM   #830
ccjr

I did take a few photos of the Shoreline buildings yesterday afternoon.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM   #831
ccjr

Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM   #832
pimvdh

Likes (Received): 1

wow nice

youtube poop
^^Want to laugh your brains out?
pimvdh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM   #833
montesky
is Loading! Please wait..

Likes (Received): 233

I don't like this 'sandy' looking facades. They should pick much more appropriate one for this kind of surrounding due to the too desert like area around the complex.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #834
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Date of Release : 1 August 2007
Embargoed till : 1305hrs (Dubai)/ 1705hrs (Singapore)

Nakheel and SMRT Engineering Pte Ltd enter partnership for the operation of The Palm Monorail
Nakheel today appointed SMRT Engineering Pte Ltd (“SMRTE”), a wholly-owned subsidiary of SMRT Corporation Ltd (“SMRT”), to commence preparation for the operation of The Palm Jumeirah’s Dh 1.4 billion monorail. In the following months, Nakheel will finalise the contract and appoint SMRTE as the operator of The Palm Monorail.

The mobilisation contract will see SMRTE evaluating and defining the operational procedures as well as recruiting and training staff for the smooth and efficient operation of The Palm Monorail, including the day-to-day running of the service, ticketing, on-going maintenance, and operation of the monorail’s four stations.

The Palm Monorail is the first monorail to be constructed in the Middle East and it is being developed by a consortium of leading international companies led by the Marubeni Corporation. The monorail is a Hitachi-based system with 5.45km fully elevated, double tracked system with four stations. As of July 2007, Nakheel has laid more than 90% of the 5.45km track. Construction work, which began in March 2006, is scheduled to be completed in November 2008 to coincide with the opening of Atlantis, The Palm Jumeirah.

The Palm Monorail project is fully automatic and driverless, although an attendant will be on board at all times. The monorail will initially carry up to 2,400 passengers per hour per direction in four separate trains, each made up of three cars. At full capacity, the figure will rise to a maximum of 6,000 people in nine vehicles.

Robert Lee, Nakheel Executive Director, Investment Projects said:

“The Palm Monorail will not only be the first such system to be completed in the region, but also promises to be a global benchmark for the transportation industry. Whether it’s the driverless system, running approximately 1,000m of rail over-sea, meeting Dubai’s unique climatic conditions or ensuring the running of the monorail is virtually silent, The Palm Monorail is employing state-of-the-art technology.

“We are therefore delighted with the appointment of SMRTE, which will ensure the day-to-day running of the system mirrors the world-class engineering employed in its creation. We considered a number of leading international operators for this contract and the competition was very strong, but SMRT’s experience in developing and managing large scale, modern public transport systems, as well as a first class safety record, meant they were ideally suited to this role.”

Saw Phaik Hwa, President and CEO, SMRT Corporation Ltd:

“We are honoured to partner Nakheel, Dubai’s premier developer of prime properties, in this iconic development. The Palm Jumeirah is in a league of its own and the first of many more prestigious developments to come.

This partnership with Nakheel brings together two forward-looking organisations that share a vision for excellence, which is also the hallmark of SMRT’s success. We bring to the partnership over 20 years of engineering expertise as well as experience in operating and maintaining a leading metro system anchored on the highest standards of reliability, safety and efficiency. Given our track record, we are confident of delivering a premier monorail system befitting of a world-class development.”

SMRTE was awarded the contract through a competitive tender called by Nakheel. There were a total of four international submissions, which were reviewed over a three month period. The review was led by Nakheel’s Monorail team, assisted by third party consultants.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM   #835
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

Palm Monorail

[IMG]http://i17.************/4vnuw5g.jpg[/IMG]

Monorail and view of Dubai Marina

[IMG]http://i14.************/6coxz0y.jpg[/IMG]
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM   #836
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

taken on Aug 19, 2007

Atlantis, Palm Jumeirah

[IMG][IMG]http://i9.************/5zfw3s3.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Monorail

[IMG]http://i16.************/6gtdjxv.jpg[/IMG]

Atlantis, Palm Jumeirah and Monorail

[IMG]http://i17.************/6f6skcn.jpg[/IMG]
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM   #837
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Big accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
'One maintenance worker was covered in flames from head to toe'

This is the second fire on the trunk of The Palm Jumeirah this year. The first one took place on May 6 in the basement of a building under construction.

Dubai: Witnesses on Monday recounted the horror as they saw one cleaner being electrocuted and another jumping to his death.

The incident occurred when the two cleaners were cleaning the windows on the ninth floor of a building in The Palm Jumeirah, police said.

One worker was electrocuted after there was a short-circuit in the maintenance cradle and he was burned to death. His horrified co-worker panicked and jumped to his death.

A Nakheel spokesperson confirmed the incident and said it occurred at about 10.15am. The spokesperson said the The Palm Jumeirah Civil Defence Permanent Fire Tender was called in.

Police said one of the victims was a Bangladeshi, while the other has not been identified. Dubai Civil Defence received a report of a fire on a maintenance cradle.

Civil defence teams from the Al Quoz Centre arrived and found the two victims dead. The 12-storeyed building is yet to be occupied.

The Nakheel spokesperson said that The Palm Jumeirah Civil Defence Permanent Fire Tender was called within minutes of the incident being reported.

"With deep regret we can confirm that two employees working on the maintenance cradle died as a result of the fire. A full investigation is under way," said the spokesperson. Nakeel, however, were unable to confirm the nationalities of the dead workers.

Horrific scene

An eyewitness, told Gulf News, he saw fire on top of the building and thought the building was ablaze.

"It was sad to learn that what I saw was a burning human body. I cannot forget that scene," he said.

Another eyewitness who worked on same site as a cleaner said that the men who died were on the maintenance cradle and were cleaning the windows from outside the building.

"One worker was covered in flames from head to toe. It was quite a horrific sight. The other worker was shouting for help and eventually plunged to his death," said the eyewitness.

"Those who were standing under the building were shocked and unable to react. Police and Civil Defence were on the scene in no time and the entire area and road leading to The Palm Jumeirah was cordoned off," added the eyewitness.

This is the second fire on the trunk of The Palm Jumeirah this year. The first one took place on May 6 in the basement of a Palm Golden Mile building, which is currently under construction.

Approximately 2,000 workers were then evacuated from the site. One employee working in the vicinity of the building was taken to the nearby Port Rashid Hospital and later discharged following treatment for smoke inhalation.

A fireman was also treated for heat exhaustion at the on-site medical facility.

In yet another unrelated incident, a worker was discharged from Port Rashid Hospital after receiving treatment for a minor fall at a separate site on The Palm Jumeirah.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #838
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

I love how the Atlantis is coming along. Looks beautiful.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:33 PM   #839
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

that hotel looks awesome in the distance!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #840
Velkan

Likes (Received): 2

It's amazing to see all these structures under construction!
Velkan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai