daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #841
BDvideo

Likes (Received): 0

Palm Jumeirah video

The latest really big things episode spends the last third of the episode covering offshore construction in Dubai.
It shows the sand dredging and pumping, new sea life on the rock breakwater crescent, soil compaction and a few shots of construction on Palm Jumeirah:
http://www.bitenova.nl/tt/gwd27
BDvideo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #842
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
taken on Aug 19, 2007

Monorail

[IMG]http://i16.************/6gtdjxv.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i17.************/6f6skcn.jpg[/IMG]
With all the money Dubai has now I wish they decided to use maglev for all their rail transportation.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #843
Viciouster
EIC.FING.UCR

Likes (Received): 7

What would happen if a sunami appears??

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados
Viciouster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #844
FM 2258

I doubt the Persian Gulf is large enough to produce a major Tsunami. Plus I think someone mentioned that the island is actually higher in elevation than the rest of Dubai.
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #845
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

If that happens... Dubai can afford to rebuild the entire city of Dubai anyway.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #846
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
If that happens... Dubai can afford to rebuild the entire city of Dubai anyway.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #847
M.Schwerdtner

Likes (Received): 3

a maglev .. yes, this would be great, ... would be nation #3 with a puplic maglev. ... (china - germany - uae)
M.Schwerdtner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #848
rahnfeld
master of geography

Tsunami is no threat for Dubai`s islands - but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I doubt the Persian Gulf is large enough to produce a major Tsunami. Plus I think someone mentioned that the island is actually higher in elevation than the rest of Dubai.
You are very right about the development of a Tsunami.
The Persian Gulf is to shallow for that event. There would be no massive wave coming up except a meteor collapse into the sea or some other irrational massive rockslides (where I do not see any threat at the site of the Persian Gulf).

The only threat-able incident could occur through an earthquake, since this zone is located right onto a tectonically very interesting combination of subduction-zone with rifts on the Persian Gulf and the possibility of spreading into three big seas, on: First the Gulf of Aden, second the Red Sea and third the African Rift, between the Somalian Plate and the African (cp. the image).

Of topic: there you can also see the spiral formation – it looks pretty much like aerially matter forms during a low-pressure area (cyclone/hurricane). The solid matter behaves kind of the same and it`s also turning, as you can see throughout universe in galaxies, stars and other planets – in atoms … etc. (except the strings).

The islands are safe and can only evolve an ecological disaster (transformation of water streams, algae growth, ...).
The real and the only danger I can see, lays on the under waged, overworked, exhausted and hygienically badly treaded South Asian workers, which carry all responsibility to construct an earthquake safe monument “ دُبَيّ بُرْج “ in record time.

I for myself would not really trust into that mechanism to work save in each aspect. As far I for myself did work in construction and know how difficult it is to manage different assembly sections on small construction sites. I am pretty sure that no new generation Emirati had ever experienced to worked with a shovel in his hand to be able to differ between good and bad quality construction. Well fortunately they have plenty western expatriates there to ensure that Indian pig slaves are working.

Well I am still content and confident and hope all the best for Emiratis and Expatriates in Dubai. I am not envy behaving like many Americans now. It is a spectacular surging country, that I call the Manhattan of the 21st century.
Regards
Jens Rahnfeld
rahnfeld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:51 PM   #849
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

31/Aug/2007

Atlantis, Palm Jumeirah

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:12 PM   #850
FM 2258

So Dubai does have some women. I hope to see alot of women when I visit Dubai, and the Atlantis.
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:08 PM   #851
BDvideo

Really Big Things on Palm Jumeirah from VanHenrik's YouTube page:

Starts at 6:06

part 2:
BDvideo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM   #852
Jibran
LOVE PAKISTAN

Likes (Received): 9

this is looking great , thanks for the pic
Jibran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:40 AM   #853
rahnfeld
master of geography

Ok , these videos are a pretty fine commercial, but not scientifically verified. I have seen the same documentary much better on BBC. But do they include a calculation about the probability, for example of a 7meters see level rise. Right they do not!!! But this would be the case contemplating the latest gravity measurements of the GRACE satellite science team on Antarctic and Greenland. Their newsletter from March 28, 2007, explains a statement on this subject. And as far I know, the Palm islands are mere account a 3 meters sea level rise. But I am still am sure they are save if sea only rises little like 3 m.
Also, what I meant was – how stable can a building like a skyscraper be, if constructed in record time by under waged cheap slave workers, although German engineers are pretty got watch dogs, but they cannot see each mistake an angry and disappointed slave is producing. The only structure I know lasted for long, like “ alf leilla wa leilla “ years and was build on slavery that way, were the Pyramids at Cairo. For them I believe a earthquake would leave a scratch only, but back to what these videos said about earthquake wave absorbing mechanical devices. They may work on a bridge – while a medium earthquake occurs – for skyscrapers are they proven??? I mean, why do you thing is it, that Japanese did not start building their 1km high skyscraping Skyscraper, when they first mentioned it about a 10 years before? May it be a too intense and incalculateable risk, and they know what they talking about.
Man I do scare myself, yeah the pictures look nice now but with 7 meters risen sea level you have a real Atlantis then.
Regards,
Jens Rahnfeld
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:07 PM   #854
stjern

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnfeld View Post
Ok , these videos are a pretty fine commercial, but not scientifically verified. I have seen the same documentary much better on BBC. But do they include a calculation about the probability, for example of a 7meters see level rise. Right they do not!!! But this would be the case contemplating the latest gravity measurements of the GRACE satellite science team on Antarctic and Greenland. Their newsletter from March 28, 2007, explains a statement on this subject. And as far I know, the Palm islands are mere account a 3 meters sea level rise. But I am still am sure they are save if sea only rises little like 3 m.
Also, what I meant was – how stable can a building like a skyscraper be, if constructed in record time by under waged cheap slave workers, although German engineers are pretty got watch dogs, but they cannot see each mistake an angry and disappointed slave is producing. The only structure I know lasted for long, like “ alf leilla wa leilla “ years and was build on slavery that way, were the Pyramids at Cairo. For them I believe a earthquake would leave a scratch only, but back to what these videos said about earthquake wave absorbing mechanical devices. They may work on a bridge – while a medium earthquake occurs – for skyscrapers are they proven??? I mean, why do you thing is it, that Japanese did not start building their 1km high skyscraping Skyscraper, when they first mentioned it about a 10 years before? May it be a too intense and incalculateable risk, and they know what they talking about.
Man I do scare myself, yeah the pictures look nice now but with 7 meters risen sea level you have a real Atlantis then.
Regards,
Jens Rahnfeld
stop making up facts... seriously
stjern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #855
Kame
Very nice, how much?

Likes (Received): 2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Schwerdtner View Post
a maglev .. yes, this would be great, ... would be nation #3 with a puplic maglev. ... (china - germany - uae)
there ain't no public maglev in germany. there's a test track that WAS open to public once and there are plans to build a maglev connecting munich central station to munich airport but nothin more.

just an info for those considering a travel to germany to try a maglev

Kiel - Some photos every few days ***** Germany - Some photos every few days ***** Hamburg - Some photos every few days
Kame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM   #856
DAMN I m good
sould have been kazaaam !

Likes (Received): 8

I f the sea level rises of 7 metre than we re in big troubles particularly london if I am right cos I think they already have problems with to hight water
DAMN I m good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #857
ottooo
Kijk omhoog!

Likes (Received): 1

7 metres?

Where would they get all that water?
ottooo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #858
rahnfeld
master of geography

leaf through this ... and switch to thinking mode

Hejsan,

ja visst, why am I being blamed for facts? Blame the laws of nature instead of me. Next time, before you criticize, try to educate yourself cause I do not feel like being your teacher for axioms. So while you took your time in writing, you could have just done some research on your own.

Let me no cite the Nasa Jet Propulsion Laboratory from www.sciencedaily.com (newsletter from March 28, 2007):

Greenland is cold and hot. It's a deep freezer storing 10 percent of Earth's ice and a subject of fevered debate. If something should melt all that ice, global sea level could rise as much as 7 meters (23 feet). Greenland and Antarctica - Earth's two biggest icehouses - are important indicators of climate change and a high priority for research, as highlighted by the newly inaugurated International Polar Year.

Grace measurements have revealed that in just four years, from 2002 to 2006, Greenland lost between 150 and 250 cubic kilometers of ice pa (per anno). One cubic kilometer is equal to about 264 billion gallons of water. That's enough melting ice to account for an increase in global sea level of as much as 0.5 millimeters pa, according to I. Velicogna and J. Wahr of the University of Colorado, Boulder. They published their results in the scientific journal Nature last fall. Since global sea level has risen an average of three mm pa since 1993, Greenland's rapidly increasing contribution can't be overlooked.

While snow added 60 cubic kilometers of ice mass to Greenland's interior each year between 2003 and 2005, the low-lying coast areas of Greenland lost nearly three times as much ice - 172 cubic kilometers - each year during the same period.
To confirm just how much of the mass Grace detects in Greenland and Antarctica is due to snow and ice, scientists also have to determine the contributions from another source, Earth's changing crust. "When Grace Satellite sees a change in polar gravity," says Watkins, "part of it is today's ice melt and part is what is called post-glacial rebound."
"A long time ago during the last ice age, this region was pushed down by even more snow and ice, and now this mantle wants to come back, or rebound," explains Erik Ivins, a JPL Earth scientist and Grace science team member.
One way to look at the problem, says Ivins, is to imagine a bathtub filling up with water from a faucet but losing water from holes in the bottom of the tub. At the same time, the bathtub may be changing shape.
Ivins and his colleagues are refining the computer models used to understand and predict post-glacial rebound. It turns out that beneath the ice sheet covering Greenland, the mantle isn't changing the shape of the “bathtub" very fast. "This tells us that the large mass changes Grace detects in the southeastern region of Greenland aren't due to post-glacial rebound," says Ivins.

kära hälsningar
Jens Rahnfeld
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #859
Essa

dude if the sea level rose 7m it means that much more than just the palm islands will be underwater.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #860
rahnfeld
master of geography

fu..ing right

I know only two words for that:

you are fu..ing right, and we would definitely need more advanced technology and more effective political instruments for reactions to that. But the corresponding good feature would be to possessing access on one new continental crusts plus Greenland. Which might stabilize the recurrent climatically aroused strong winds (storms) and temperature swings. It might be a stupid thesis, but I am not sure whether all water shortage issues on earth could be solved due to that, but it would be a nice addition to a worldwide disaster – finally then.
Give me just some time to find a model for sea-level rising and do additional research on coherent spots and since this is a considerable development; could we contemplate open up a new threat?

Regards Jens Rahnfeld

Tags
dubai