daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #141
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob
The houses are so close to eachother! Who in hell wants to live there? I don't like it if my neighboors can see the inside of my house... But the project is amazing though! ,)

once again, u need to see a video with people walking there, the houses are massive, the whole thing is, like Sa Boy said, sooo big, the pictures can't give u the scale.

we have people who bought there in the UAE section and they said if u actually stand in front of it, there is enough space...
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM   #142
Krazy
Kool Kat

posted earlier today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Head
Recent updates showing some of the detail work on the shorelines, didn't get any notes of which building is which this time, but good progress generally

Good progress on the road running between the shorelines, but no sign of any action yet on Trump building or the 2 additional shoreline blocks

Couple of shots of Atlantis site

And finally a couple of the tunnel that will link to the crescent, taken form inside the coffer dam. 2nd one is tunnel entrance on trunk side of the tunnel, with Atlantis in the background

Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #143
Krazy
Kool Kat

The Gateway Bridge to the Palm from the mainland is open now

[img]http://i3.************/23k7l11.jpg[/img]
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #144
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

great shots guys~~

DUBAI 2006 -- Welcome!! :)
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #145
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

Hmm, doesn't look like it's an island there with that bridge shot, more like the Palm Peninsula.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #146
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

It keeps looking better and better !!
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #147
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

that should improve construction speed.

do u think once the main construction is finished, they will make the palm a real island?

e.g remove the sand under the bridge?
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #148
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamandell (d69)
Hmm, doesn't look like it's an island there with that bridge shot, more like the Palm Peninsula.
And how is the construction traffic suposed to go, if they've separated The Palm from the mainland since the begining?
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #149
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
e.g remove the sand under the bridge?
no i dont think they will remove the sand
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #150
Faisal

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeshanney
no i dont think they will remove the sand
Thy must remove the sand under the bridge to be an island

Faisal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #151
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

they dont have to
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #152
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
And how is the construction traffic suposed to go, if they've separated The Palm from the mainland since the begining?
I haven't been following the contruction from the start, sorry, I presumed they built the bridge first.

And to be an island, it must be seperated from the mainland by a body of water, so the sand should be removed if it is to be a true island.

Still, love the project though!
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #153
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 468

sand will be removed now the bridge is completed.
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #154
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2846

who said it had to be an island? Its a palm shaped outcrop of land is that not good enough for you?? personally i think they probably will move the sand under the bridge though, seems pointless to build a bridge otherwise.

How many times are people gonna make ill informed comments about the proximity of the houses. A little something that may surprise people, dubai is a city, houses in cities are next to each other. The houses are VERY cheap considering their size and location, of course they're gonna cram as many as possible onto the palm. Im curious as to how much money people think it would cost them to get a massive mansion like these in London?? I'll tell you now its gonna be in the 10s of millions, even more (double at least) if you don't wanna see your neighbours.

Housing in cities is close its nothing new
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #155
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

The sand will be removed but i doubt it will be for some time.
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #156
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Who gives a rats ass if the sand is removed! show me some one else thats building some similar to this?

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #157
Burj Duboy

Likes (Received): 0

Dubai man-made island nears completion
By JIM KRANE, AP Business Writer

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - With 14,000 laborers toiling day and night, the first of Dubai's three palm-shaped islands is finally about to get its first residents.
The Palm Jumeirah, a 12-square-mile island group, is part of what's billed as the largest land-reclamation project in the world, the product of five years of brute hauling of millions of tons of Persian Gulf sand and quarried rock.
On Nov. 30, the palm will open to some 4,000 residents, said Issam Kazim, a spokesman for Dubai's state-owned developer Nakheel.
When fully complete by 2010, the Palm Jumeirah will be an offshore city, with some 60,000 residents and at least 50,000 workers in 32 hotels and dozens of shops and attractions, Nakheel said.
Observers say they are surprised that the fledgling developer has been able to build such a complex project more or less as planned, albeit with several snags that delayed the opening from last year.
"The project has captured people's imagination," said Colin Foreman of the Middle East Economic Digest. "Nothing like it has been done anywhere else in the world."
Nakheel's four island projects, the world's largest land reclamation effort, are reshaping Dubai's stretch of the Gulf coast.
The $14 billion project is a key part of this booming city's ambitions to rival Singapore and Hong Kong as a business hub, and surpass Las Vegas as a leisure capital.
The frenetic pace of development has utterly transformed Dubai from a sleepy trading and pearl-diving village in the 1950s to a flashy metropolis of 1.5 million.
The island's construction has not all been smooth, and most buyers were supposed to get keys to their island homes a year ago.
Some of the new land sank and Nakheel needed an extra year to add more and pack it with vibrating land compactors, Kazim said.
Reports from those who have wandered through the island's giant homes describe them as cheaply finished and set uncomfortably close to one another. Nakheel rejected an Associated Press request to visit the island.
Overburdened roads in Dubai's Jumeirah Beach neighborhood are expected to clog further as people begin moving onto the island, accessible, for now, by a single bridge. Mainlanders have already put up with years of road works and innumerable trucks hauling boulders to the island.
Those moving onto the Palm Jumeirah this year will have to live with construction for another three years, and then an influx of tourists. Most of the owners are foreigners, with Britons making up the largest group, Kazim said.
Many observers believe Dubai's frenetic homebuilding will soon outstrip demand.
"We've still got a shortage of properties in Dubai, but that's likely to become an excess in next six or 12 months," said Steve Brice, an economist with Standard Chartered Bank in Dubai.
Brice said year-old estimates that 50,000 housing units would hit the market in 2006 will be more than doubled. Nakheel, one of three big developers here, has said it will release 60,000 units in the 2nd half of 2006 alone.
Nakheel's two copycat Palms, the Palm Jebel Ali and Palm Deira, have also been delayed by design changes and other factors, Kazim said. A nearly finished fourth Nakheel archipelago, shaped like a map of the world, has attracted few buyers and remains mostly unsold.
Kazim said The World's sales trouble stems from simple economics: Nakheel is selling empty islands for tens of millions of dollars only to builders promising low-density luxury.
Dubai's government expects the Palm Jumeirah to become a signature tourist attraction, bringing in as many as 20,000 daily visitors, Kazim said.
Meanwhile, laborers living in a cruise ship moored offshore are scrambling to finish enormous concrete houses that are crammed together on the palm island's 17 "fronds." The fronds are narrow peninsulas as long as a mile, attached to the island's main trunk. Nakheel will hand keys to owners of 1,350 homes by Nov. 30, Kazim said.
Also nearing completion are 2,650 apartments in 20 high-rises that have sprung up on the island's trunk. The hulking complexes are visible from shore, where the sprawling island, with its dredges, highway overpasses and construction cranes has become a major eyesore for resort hotels on Dubai's once idyllic natural beaches.
Even after the handover in November, less than half of the island's construction will be finished. Kazim said the project won't be done until nearly 2010, if things go according to Nakheel's current schedule.
The 1,500 room Atlantis Hotel is already under construction by South Africa and Dubai-owned Kerzner International, and is expected to be finished in 2009. The hotel will be similar to its Atlantis hotel in The Bahamas.
A redesigned Trump Hotel and Tower on the island is also expected to open sometime in 2009, Kazim said.
Burj Duboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #158
Krazy
Kool Kat

posted in the UAE forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubayyy
Just back from a trip to Dubai.

Finally managed to get on the Palm and take these pics of the shorelines. The whole Palm is chocka with construction traffic and there is still much work to be done.

Nov/Dec looks very very optimistic for Shoreline handover. Canal facing owners will be overlooking a building site for at least 3 years

Al Das
[IMG]http://i3.************/23u4guh.jpg[/IMG]

Al Shahla
[IMG]http://i1.************/23u4izp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1.************/23u4js2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.************/23u4lj7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.************/23u4mc3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.************/23u4pd5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.************/23u4q9z.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #159
westisbest
Justice for the 96

Likes (Received): 160

is it always murky in dubai or is it dust from the building work

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
westisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #160
Krazy
Kool Kat

it's the dust... take into consideration the mammoth scale of this project and the sand/dust that goes with it

Tags
dubai