daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #21
kangarooMN09

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail456
stress less...jesus. I'm just saying in my OPINION new york looks kinda old. My opinion (thankfully) doesn't have to match yours.
i think new york is like a big skyscraper museum. Those who say that it's stuck only in certain period obviously don't know anything about architecture. so what if it looks old??? it's still beautiful
kangarooMN09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #22
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

New York (with exception to Chicago) is the only city on earth whos been constructing skyscrapers for almost a century. What do you expect? Its got architecture from every period.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #23
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
diverse to me is a city like hong kong, shanghai or dubai where the buildings are all different and mainly cutting edge of design. New York to me is stuck in a time warp. The buildings all look the same and thats because everything is trying to blend in with the Empire State building...grey or brown boxes. Thats why to me it looks very 1930's/1940's. The only building in New York that I can think of that isn't going to be a box is the Bank of America tower (EDIT) and the freedom tower if that's every built.
dude, your out of it. First of all the Freedom Tower is in the construction phase. You say everything is "trying to blend in with the ESB by being grey or brown boxes" when they are building modern glass skyscrapers left and right. How is shanghai dubai or HK more diverse than NYC? They are newer, not more diverse. NYC has been in the game from day 1 and therefore has buildings these cities will never have. Dubai or Shanhai will never have art deco masterpieces such as the Chysler Building. You want diversity? The building your complaining about is going up directly between The Woolworth Building and the Freedom Tower, hows that for diversity? No city in the world has a combination like that, or ever will.

NYC has plenty of time to build new modern skyscrapers, The cities you listed will never have the types of buildings featured in New York.
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #24
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

I think you guys are getting way too defensive. All he's trying to say is that the skyscrapers in NY are a bit on the conservative side, even the newer ones, compared to the ones we see in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Dubai. You have to admit that he has a point.
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #25
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

He said New York was "stuck in the 40's".... So yes im getting defensive

And no im not going to admit that Nyc is building conservative scrapers, did you even see these buildings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz

Old June 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #26
Spooky873
BANNED

this tower is a ****** filler, like 90% of HKs one dimensional bland residentials. im no eye doctor, but i think you should get your eyes checked after making such an asbolutely retarded statement.

Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Dubai more diverse than NYC?

the end is near.

Last edited by Spooky873; June 7th, 2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #27
Spooky873
BANNED

your definition of diverse is ****ed i might add, any way you slice it.

i mean honestly, who paid you to say that?

and thats my opinion.

Last edited by Spooky873; June 7th, 2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #28
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealMist

And no im not going to admit that Nyc is building conservative scrapers, did you even see these buildings?
First of all, he said it looked like it was stuck in the 40's and from that picture, he is perfectly correct.
And to answer your question, yes I know all about them. 2 of them aren't even for certain. But check this out, a quick look in the Under Construction thread shows these in Dubai that's actually under construction. If just one of these were proposed for NY, you'd be delirious with joy.

And I haven't even gotten started on the height yet.
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #29
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
this tower is a ****** filler,
What thread is this again? This tower. Right, so now you agree with him. I rest my case.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #30
snail456

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by centreoftheuniverse
I think you guys are getting way too defensive. All he's trying to say is that the skyscrapers in NY are a bit on the conservative side, even the newer ones, compared to the ones we see in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Dubai. You have to admit that he has a point.
You would do if someone was dissing your city as well lol. Let them whine.
snail456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #31
snail456

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealMist

5 buildings out of how many?

What every you say I'm not gonna change my opinion. I just think that the majority of NYC's buildings are dull. I live in the UK and I'll be the first to admit that london is much the same. I like Dubai, Shanghai and Hong Kong because they have buildings that are trying to be buildings and not just part of the skyline if you see what i mean.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #32
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

I just came to read about and get updates on 10 Barclay St. Gee!
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #33
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse
I just came to read about and get updates on 10 Barclay St. Gee!
lol, me too but I didn't see any updates directly.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #34
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2699

yea, this is getting boring now guys. so please shut up and stay on topic.
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #35
snail456

sorry sir
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #36
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
What thread is this again? This tower. Right, so now you agree with him. I rest my case.
what difference does it make? does he think every NYer is proud of this dime a dozen residential to go up? hes mistaken, and what i said only proves my point. but to say HK, Dubai, and Shanghai are more diverse than NYC?

his definition of diversity is absolutely retarded. ive honestly seen it all on this forum. its comical.

you got a city thats been building for almost 100 years, compared to 3 cities who have been building in the past....20? and theyre more diverse? are you on acid?
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #37
snail456

one word...Moscow
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #38
Spooky873
BANNED

because everyone associates Moscow with skyscrapers. another brilliant statement. the skyscraper came out of the U.S. in the early 20th. your statement doesnt hold water here, EVEN with architectural diversity if thats where youre going. no place has a skyscraper history like NYC. its like not accepting the Beatles for pioneering music.
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #39
Spooky873
BANNED

honestly, who is paying you?
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #40
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Quote:
First of all, he said it looked like it was stuck in the 40's and from that picture, he is perfectly correct.
No he said NYC looks like its stuck in the 40's in general:

Quote:
i dont like blending in. i like something different that stands out and moves away from the norm. new york just looks like its stuck in the 1940's
Which is was got me pissed off. Yes, New York does have alot of old brown and grey buildings. The city developed a long time ago. But to say that is stuck in the 40's is just wrong. It isn't building many brown and grey boxes these days....

Also to say that it isn't as diverse as cities such as Dubai and Shangai is completely wrong and is infact the total opposite of the truth. Where Dubai and Shangai has only modern skyscrapers, cities like like NYC and Chicago have scrapers spanning a whole century.

Quote:
But check this out, a quick look in the Under Construction thread shows these in Dubai that's actually under construction. If just one of these were proposed for NY, you'd be delirious with joy.

And I haven't even gotten started on the height yet.
Yes I would love for NYC to be building that much but the fact is no city is booming like Dubai is right now. Dubai is building to attract attention and make its name in the world.