daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #61
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

I usually dont get involved in things like this but eventually when Dubai loses steam ppl are gonna sit around in the future and say "damn all those glassy shiny building look bland. who knows what new styles will be." I also love dubai but I do feel like maybe there trying to hard to be known. Its alos not like New York at all. New York, because of its century of rich and diverse development, is very dense. Dubai however is like a skyline and cranes in the middle of the desert. Dubai is a great city on the up and up but Im just stating my take on it.

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #62
snail456

Likes (Received): 1

Look...you guys love new york...i hate it, end of story.
snail456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #63
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail456
Why would you hate NY? What's not to love? Where are you from?
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #64
Tom_my
guayaco

Likes (Received): 0

live GUAYAQUIL
Tom_my no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #65
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:

If you hate ny then get the **** out of here ~>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #66
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3624

freaking spammers.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #67
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
You hate NY? wow you really suck more than I thought.

Whatever, this guy has 20 posts and its clear from his posts and the way that he talks that hes like 13 years old.
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #68
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Hes another Asian booster. Ya know, for Hong Kong, Shanghai and the like. Because Shanghai and Dubai are getting taller buildings now they feel like New York is in the dust somewhere. He wouldnt be so uptight about it if he did care. To be honest im getting tired with SOME of the asian boosters around here that are speaking too soon for themselves, with their booming economy and high rise construction. They all realize that everything theyre getting is new to them, and its been around here for some time. Bask in your glory, and Im only talking about a few of them. I wouldnt have to be such a dick if it werent for them, I just cant stand them.

'we no build tall building for long time now, but now we get tall building in city and america suck! ha ha ha'...

im shrugging my shoulders on that one.

Last edited by Spooky873; June 11th, 2006 at 10:05 PM.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #69
kangarooMN09

Likes (Received): 2

snail456, why do you have to make the atmosphere of this thread so unpleasant? seriously, all the fights going on in this thread right now started from you. i dont care that you hate new york but please grow up, get a life and be more mature. nobody wants you here. buh bye
kangarooMN09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #70
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
That's nice now get the hell out of here.
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #71
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Can we please get this thread back to topic and stop the I Hate NY talk?
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #72
nygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
Hes another Asian booster. Ya know, for Hong Kong, Shanghai and the like. Because Shanghai and Dubai are getting taller buildings now they feel like New York is in the dust somewhere. He wouldnt be so uptight about it if he did care. To be honest im getting tired with SOME of the asian boosters around here that are speaking too soon for themselves, with their booming economy and high rise construction. They all realize that everything theyre getting is new to them, and its been around here for some time. Bask in your glory, and Im only talking about a few of them. I wouldnt have to be such a dick if it werent for them, I just cant stand them.

'we no build tall building for long time now, but now we get tall building in city and america suck! ha ha ha'...

I used to feel a little iffy about the asia boosters too. Not so much anymore. We love the same thing, not for the same reasons though. It's all a matter of opinion.
I prefer my beautifully well aged city. I love the diverse styles of highrises blended together. I like being able to get off the subway and the first thing i see is 19th century victorian mixed with early 20th century neo gothic and right down the street a cornucopia of art deco and post war. If you turn the other way a blend of brutalist and 1960's modern black boxes standing tall next to post modern.
Shanghai and Singapore can probably give you the same feeling but to a much smaller extent. Hong Kong has been erasing and replacing forever, they can never have what we have. Just like we can never have their fabulous mountain backdrop. I say so what. That's probably what they say... So it's all a matter of opinion, neither being better than the other. You either feel one way or you don't.
I do however love the buildings in Dubai. I'll never curse the place, because it is amazing. I would be nutts to say i hate 300+ meter buildings going up everywhere in the desert, because HOW FREAKING COOL is that?
Very.........
Very freaking cool.
However it lacks the mystique, although it has 7 star hotels, imo it's compensating and lacking any real elegance. I've never seen the place so my credibility there is only judged on what i see here, it takes alot to blow my mind and 300+ meter buildings popping up everywhere is sweet, but it wont move me to tears, a 7 star hotel is nifty but i aint stayin in one AND it probably wouldn't blow my mind, now.... reclaimed islands are another story, although i doubt they would blow my mind either so if it won't blow my mind to bits and i see something better everyday i wake up then whats the big deal?
And im pretty secure in my statement that i wake up seeing something better than dubai or hong kong or shanghai.

Talb, my apologies.... back to topic man.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #73
snail456

Quote:

I'm sorry I didn't realise that someone wasn't allowed to have an opinion. And I think I said a while back that I'm from UK.

All I said was that I don't like grey boxes and that NY is primarily just that. If you want to take offence at that fine...go right ahead.
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #74
snail456

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
I used to feel a little iffy about the asia boosters too. Not so much anymore. We love the same thing, not for the same reasons though. It's all a matter of opinion.
Finally someone gets the idea of an opinion .

Now I think I wanted to end this a while back so I'll shut up if you guys shut up...deal?
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #75
nygirl

Snail i think it's just that you hold ny in such low regards, display those feelings in here, and bitch about grey boxes. If you think the ny skyline is just grey boxes then you're an idiot and we can all be satisfied with that and end it. If you shut up , we will shut up? Nah it doesn't go that way here. Just leave the thread... otherwise it's considered trolling, and you don't wanna be that poor little albino troll from the uk in a ny thread, i'll tell you that much. Expect us to "whine".

Don't expect charm. Don't expect friendly debate. Don't expect one of us to shut up and leave you with the last word.

None of that will happen.

PS. Your opinion is ******* lame.

Old June 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #76
Spooky873
BANNED

You said you hated NY.

So what the **** you want from me?

Id like to hear on why.
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #77
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I am going to be honest about 10 Barclay St, it doesn't look that special, though it is residential. It looks no different from the appartments that I have seen in Murray Hill, Lenox Hill, and Clinton that are similar to the rendering. Nevertheless, I will view this more as an infill project than something that is major.
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #78
nygirl

Quote:
You said you hated NY.

So what the **** you want from me?

Id like to hear on why.

People that hate ny, hate it for no other reason that its just ny.
hate the rent, hate the traffic, hate the pollution.

Ny offers so much. Park system is top notch, architecture is quality, transportation is reliable, the people are unlike anywhere else, broadway theater, Sports, Nightlife, Museums, Dining, Fashion.. It may not be the best in everything but it comes closer than most.
So theres a reason to hate it....
Grey boxes.. Lol ******* lames.
London is no better nor worse than ny. It is iconic and offers the same things. I don't hate london in the least bit. I admire London.
Reason for hating ny, if you are not from ny: It isn't yours. My guess.
I dislike Los Angeles because of certain reasons. It's confusing, imense, sprawled, and almost alien to me. It offers the same things ny has + there are cool beach communities and great beaches, mountains. It isn't for me. I personally don't think it's a bad place, i only like to piss off certain forumers when i bad mouth.. LA is just fine.
I dislike Orlando.. For many reasons.. it's a giant parking lot... disney is all they got going for them.. Humid as hell.. Geography is meh, architecture is meh, i'll never be blown away.. and it's just not for me.

Talb, yea 10 barclay isn't innovative nor winning any beauty contests. Like you said it's a residential. I think more or less people are getting offended because someone is using it as a stepping stone to express what they really wanted to say, which was they hate ny. It isn't anything major. I'll take it though.

Old June 13th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #79
Spooky873
BANNED

NYC was the first city that had ****** balls. Maybe thats what most ppl dont like. Were cocky and we know it, theres nothin they can do, and we had alot of firsts for a city.

thats my guess.
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #80
Silentpandaesq

Likes (Received): 0

It is also fashionable to bash NYC these days... as it is fashionable to bash most American things. Disliking boxes is a valid opinion, however, basing your opinion of a place solely on 1 or 2 building types is just lame and destroys any credibility that you have on the matter.

Personally, disliking boxes while again a valid opinion, demonstrates a certain ignorance of both the economics and regulatory reality of a place like NYC. While other cities might build "pretty" buildings, they are doing so not out of any great economic rational, but in an attempt to prove to others that they have a sophisticated aesthetic. NYC is about money, it is not here to win awards or prove to others that it is sophisticated, it already is. Boxes are the result of people maximizing the usable space they have... not about pissing money away to impress people.
Silentpandaesq no está en línea   Reply With Quote