daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #101
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

LOL!

Yeah its kind of why I don't spend much time here anymore. I just like to pop in once in a while and check the construction threads.

When I stood on top of the Empire State Building on November 9th, 2001, looking out across Lower Manhattan, I remember thinking not just how aweful and evil it was what those Al-Qaida bastards did to us, but also how they could have done 10 times more damage, and NYC would have bounced back from it. I don't think any other city on Earth could have recovered from a 9/11 scenario the way NYC has.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #102
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

alot of ignorant ppl forget the WTC with all the supertall talk. everything now is supertall this supertall that, and shun NYC like we never had any. they were around for over 30 years. no city on earth will have a skyscraper reign supreme as much as the esb did, for as long as it did. for every decade i expect 3 new tallest to go up. you call that dominance?
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #103
Spooky873
BANNED

high rises are like cell phones, nowadays everyones got em.
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #104
Gendo

While Dubai and Shanghai are building some impressive buildings, the mere fact that NYC built the world's tallest building, and then another one just like it right next to it will probably never be tried again. Also, ESB will probably hold that title of tallest building in the world for the longest amount of time for a very, very long time to come. I guarantee you Dubai won't hold it for very long.

Its only a matter of time before NYC recaptures the WTB title, once again.

Last edited by Gendo; June 14th, 2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #105
Spooky873
BANNED

its only a matter of time until the world stops building the worlds tallest. itll end at some point, how the **** high can we go? we'll be taking elevators from ****** space.
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #106
Gendo

Oh I imagine sometimes towards the middle or latter half of this century we'll be at the limit of engineering. Then there will probably be 10 buildings, all at the same height, sharing the WTB title.
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #107
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

It is refreshing to read you two and your ideas. An interesting perspective and one I agree with. In the middle of this century I will be about 56 years old and I would like to see what is around.
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #108
Silentpandaesq

Likes (Received): 0

I envy you for that I will be somewhat older

What people also fail to realize is that NYC and all its buildings are privately owned (towers that is). There are no government buildings or government sponsored or subsidized buildings(excluding the WTC and not anymore) They are not financed by the government, not in the classical sense, not in the sense that the Dubai government and those building buildings there are essentially the same corporate entity. As such NYC impresses me because of the economic necessity for tall... not merely the desire for tall.

Also remember that NYC had supertalls (plural) before T.V., Internet, jet engines, rocket ships, and antibiotics. To build what was built with the resources and know-how they had, and to be unmatched for 30 years... always make me think that NYC is the last word in skyscrapers. Others Might be bigger, but they can never be the oldest. Or longest running. To do that you would have to scour this place and its memory from humanity. They have tried, repeatedly, and failed reputedly.
Silentpandaesq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #109
Gendo

Indy, I'll be 70 in 2050.

Silentpandaesq, that is very true. In a way Dubai is cheating.
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #110
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Dubai is cheating but i'll still say it's "cool" not astounding, it's not classy ( at all) , it's not winning any popularity contests and as someone else put it.. with hk and shanghai it is quite 1 dimensional and lacks prestige and elegance.

Lloyd, i wasn't trying to personally attack you.
It's just that that's ******* picture spamming and there really is no need for that in a construction thread unless you are posting many pictures of the site in question.
Other than that it is ridiculous to post the amount of pictures you did. Just direct them to one of the many threads with the exact same pictures you posted in here.
You know there out there.

And yes i do GET PMS.. believe me, you don't wanna see me like that.

pip pip cheerio....

That was for snail, really.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #111
Spooky873
BANNED

well apparently, im being told by skybean that HK is not one-dimensional. hes entitled to it but i dont see it. as you dont either, and many many many other ppl dont.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #112
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

For **** sake, I posted "Any updates?" for more reasons than just to get updates.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #113
Silentpandaesq

Likes (Received): 0

Sorry, I could not get the pics - I was in a cab being ferried to see apartments, and downtown is a mess of construction.

I did see it, and it is getting up there - 2 weeks and it will be close to or over the Transportation building. I am going back there tomorrow to look for a nice home, so I will try to grab it then.

Dubai is not cheating, it is still building tall.
It is just that I am less impressed with the tall that it is building since

A) it is residential (I mean.. any place that has a bunch of people qualifies for a super tall if it is priced right, not so for business)

B) it is quasi-government funded. Most state governments could build supertalls if they did not have to account to people where their tax money went.

To me that means that if left to their own devices, they would not build tall, as opposed to cities that have no choice but to build vertical.
Silentpandaesq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #114
Indyman

edit. lol i wanted to post comments on BOA but accidentally put it here.
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #115
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
...And yes i do GET PMS.. believe me, you don't wanna see me like that.
You're funny, NYGirl. I think that I'd like to see you naked.
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #116
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

i don't think my husband would like that very much. Unless you were a girl willing to share. Now we are definetly off topic.....

ENOUGH.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #117
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

I'm married too. This whole conversation is "titillating"!
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #118
Indyman

Hope you dont get banned or some shit like that.
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #119
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo Akari
Exactly Spooky, but opinion can easily become offensive and arrogant. All I'm saying is that Snail should stick to the construction threads concerning his city and places he likes instead of coming in here and offending New Yorkers and people who like NYC, people like me.

Thanks EtherealMist. How is Boston these days? I kind of miss my old neighborhood in Somerville/Medford.
Great, I love Boston. Although im in New Jersey at the moment. Ill be back in Boston in July around the Backbay area.
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #120
Gendo

I only meant that Dubai is cheating when it comes to who is financing the project (the Dubai Gov.) I'm not impresesed with Dubai's "Tower of Babel" That's what I think of it every time I see a rendering of it because of the way it tapers. Shanghai's WFC is simple and elegant. It also tapers (in a smooth clean way), but I like it for some reason. I would have preferred the circle in the top though as I think it looked better that way.

You gave me a good laugh NYgirl.

EtherealMist, I used to ride the T to Backbay for work, and I really like that neighborhood. The flats in that area have got style.