daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #441
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

it's all good.. relax and enjoy the new updates
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #442
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNiK
I think the habitably floors ends at 575m. See the news from arabtecuae:

The additional height will be gained by extending the steel pinnacle "that sits above the 575 m-tall" reinforced concrete shaft core. Each of the three tower cranes on the Burj has a maximum lifting capacity of 25 tonnes, and each has a cable in the drum approximately 900 m long. “The cable already weighs eight tonnes; if we extend the cable length, the weight of it will become unfeasible, so we do have a height limit which we cannot exceed,” says Al-Joudi.

It´s a pity. I hoped that i can stand at a sightseeing point at 800m. But nearly 600m is also okay
This is not very creative thinking on their part.

The three arms or lobes that extend out from the core have setbacks. If they stalled the completion of one of these arms and attached a crane on the exterior of the building, the could use the roof space created by a setback as a staging area. In other words, they could lift material up 300m to the roof of an uncompleted arm with the exterior crane and then raise the material the rest of the way up with the core's interior crane using a shortened and lighter cable. Problem solved.

Last edited by SpaceScraper; June 19th, 2006 at 06:01 PM.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #443
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

So basically they have a 200 - 300m spire?

Are they really THAT desperate to build a 'WTB'?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #444
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

What a 200 - 300m spire??????Will the spire have a function, except to extend the height?

Last edited by germantower; June 19th, 2006 at 06:38 PM.
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #445
omatje

Likes (Received): 0

How tall is BD now?
omatje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #446
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

nothing is for sure regarding the spire.

but let's say the roof will be at 650m, than a 150m spire will be fine, there is nothing special in that.

keep in mind that it won't be just an antenna, but also spiraling to top, but the diameter being so small that no additional floors can be constructed or are feasible.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #447
snail456

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
nothing is for sure regarding the spire.

but let's say the roof will be at 650m, than a 150m spire will be fine, there is nothing special in that.

keep in mind that it won't be just an antenna, but also spiraling to top, but the diameter being so small that no additional floors can be constructed or are feasible.
I was wondering why they didn't put floors up there but now I see it would be kinda hard to fit the elevator in that small space
snail456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #448
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

I've counted 49 Floors, so it's between 180m and 190m.

Please no tall Spire, I hate tall spires, they make a building taller than it is. For Example the Times Tower, Ugly spire.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #449
ToNiK
VAE Enthusiast...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper
This is not very creative thinking on their part.

The three arms or lobes that extend out from the core have setbacks. If they stalled the completion of one of these arms and attached a crane on the exterior of the building, the could use the roof space created by a setback as a staging area. In other words, they could lift material up 300m to the roof of an uncompleted arm with the exterior crane and then raise the material the rest of the way up with the core's interior crane using a shortened and lighter cable. Problem solved.

That sounds good but i think and hope for the project that they have well-paid engineers to be concerned about that problematic about the heavy weight cables. But i´m certain that they surpass all expectations.
At the least 2008 i will visit Dubai again and will see the highest Skyscraper in the world :-)
ToNiK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #450
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

I'm already planning to visit dubai in 2010 and by then it will be amazing. This tower, most of Dubailand, the mall, all the palms, Jumeirah projects - I'll be in heaven.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #451
ToNiK
VAE Enthusiast...........

Yeah you´re right Erebus555!
ToNiK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #452
Biakko
Fighting spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555
I'm already planning to visit dubai in 2010 and by then it will be amazing. This tower, most of Dubailand, the mall, all the palms, Jumeirah projects - I'll be in heaven.
Well if you want to see everything finished, or almost, you should better wait for 2012
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #453
european

Likes (Received): 25

But dont you think by then more stunning projects would've been launched.

I think dubai's boom will carry on for a long time so i think you shouldnt wait unless you want to see one particular project finished.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #454
Biakko
Fighting spirit

yeah sure but i'm talking about the projects already launched
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #455
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II
I've counted 49 Floors, so it's between 180m and 190m.

Please no tall Spire, I hate tall spires, they make a building taller than it is. For Example the Times Tower, Ugly spire.
my post #227 mentions next rise (lev50) it will be 182m/600ft high.
As for the height and structural height of BurjD, im quite sure most of you have known the 'roof" of highest occupied part of bldg will be approx 600m, while the spire will take it up to 800m+. thus top 200m is steel spire. no real secret. it will all blend in so you wont really see where spire starts.
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #456
germantower
i ♥ NY

update update update

it is currently exact 49 floors high

pics from 20 june 2006 taken by Imre

It is almost huge now!
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #457
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10147

all i can say is w0w. its only 180m and looks huge. whats it gonna be like at 280m or 380m or 480m or 580m or 680m or 780m??? fark! its going to cause car accidents with poeple trying to see where the spire ends?? lol
great pix
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #458
germantower
i ♥ NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
all i can say is w0w. its only 180m and looks huge. whats it gonna be like at 280m or 380m or 480m or 580m or 680m or 780m??? fark! its going to cause car accidents with poeple trying to see where the spire ends?? lol
great pix
Lol Cullwulla...but yes it will be really huge when its finished i remeber how i was suprised about the height of Eifel Tower as i was there but this thing gonna be more than twice the size of Eifel Tower.
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #459
Krazy
Kool Kat

http://www.ameinfo.com/89371.html

Emaar's iconic Burj Dubai scales level 50

Global real estate major Emaar Properties marked a milestone in its historic quest to build the world's tallest tower as the AED 3.673 billion (US$1 billion) Burj Dubai scaled 50 levels today.

Burj Dubai.

This remarkable feat in the construction of Emaar's iconic super tower at the Burj Dubai Downtown development was accomplished in less than 900 days since excavation work started in January, 2004. Work is on course for a 2008 completion with one new level added every four days.

'This is a significant moment for us,' said Mr Mohamed Ali Alabbar, Chairman, Emaar Properties.

'We are witnessing 'History Rising' - on schedule. With the world's eyes on Burj Dubai, this is a moment of pride not only for Emaar but also for Dubai. The super tall tower, now at level 50 and going strong, is a symbol of Dubai's aspirations and capabilities.'

Designed by Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM), Burj Dubai is being constructed by high-rise construction experts South Korea's Samsung Corporation, and Turner Construction International is the project and construction manager.

Over 3,000 workers are currently working on the Burj Dubai. More than 160,000m³ of high-quality concrete and 25,000 metric tons of steel rebar have so far been used in the construction. Specially developed concrete pumps are employed to generate 350 bars of pressure and pump to a height of 600 metres.

Eleven cranes and the world's fastest high-capacity construction hoists - with a speed of up to 2 m/sec (120 m/min) - are used to move men and material to the lofty heights.

Burj Dubai is a pioneering example of entrepreneurial vision, architectural capabilities and engineering prowess meeting to create a towering international landmark.

'Burj Dubai is more than a tower; it is a global statement that will put Dubai firmly in the minds of the rest of the world. The tower boosts civic pride by creating an unparalleled landmark that demonstrates the capability of the UAE people to implement any project regardless of its size or challenges,' added Alabbar.

Blending retail, commercial and residential spaces, the Burj Dubai derives design inspiration from a desert flower and features architectural elements that celebrate the Islamic heritage of the region.

The fast-track construction employs modern building techniques including the use of self-climbing formwork for walls and prefabricated rebar cages. The tower has a base floor plate of 33,000 sq. ft., which tapers as the structure rises skywards.

Burj Dubai will feature the exclusive Armani Hotel designed by Giorgio Armani, luxurious corporate suites and offices, serviced residential suites, apartments, four swimming pools, restaurants, exclusive resident's lounge's, 15,000 sq. ft. of fitness facilities, recreational and entertainment facilities and an observatory, planned for the 124th level, offering spectacular views of the city and the Arabian sea.

Safety and security features - against high wind velocities, soaring summer temperatures, seismic disturbances, fire and other threats - have been incorporated into the design of Burj Dubai. 'The project capitalizes on the latest advances in wind engineering, structural engineering, structural systems, construction equipment, materials and methods,' said Greg Sang, Assistant Director - Projects, Emaar Properties.

Burj Dubai is part of Emaar's 500-acre mixed use AED 73 billion (US$20 billion) Burj Dubai Downtown development which combines commercial, residential, hotel, entertainment, shopping and leisure outlets, with open green spaces dotted with lakes and water features.

Ongoing projects within Burj Dubai Downtown include The Old Town and Old Town Island, The Dubai Mall, Burj Dubai Business Hub, The Lofts, Burj Views, South Ridge, Burj Dubai Boulevard, The Residences and 8 Boulevard Walk.
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #460
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

Really hugeeeeeeeeeee!!!