daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #1
357wayz
North Cock-it-Back

Likes (Received): 0

Why do people hate Charlotte on this board?

Seems as if people on this board go out of their way to talk junk about Charlotte and to disregard us. This is not an opinion, this is through observation. Esp. notice a large number of Georgia residents that practice Charlotte bashing on this board. So what gives? Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. But I'm just curious, where does the Charlotte hate come from?
357wayz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 25th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Sa Town Tx Gringo
Texan

Just a rival between Atlanta and Charlotte,Atleast thats what i see.I happen to love Charlotte more so then i do Atlanta.Don't worry about it people just have their views.
Sa Town Tx Gringo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #3
lancetop

Likes (Received): 45

J*E*A*L*O*U*S*Y
lancetop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Style™
King of the Queen

Likes (Received): 3

it does not really matter what it is. or even if it exists or not. i'd say that at this point in the forum's history, there is NOT that hate. two or three years ago you would have found it. it is rather okay now. just go on with your charlotte business and post in the charlotte threads.....and ignore those who bash it. dont give the time of day.
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #5
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I don't hate Charlotte.
Montreal is unique!!
wheelingman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #6
Atl/Clt

I don't know that people hate Charlotte generally. I really haven't met anyone who has visited who just can't stand the city. I live in Charlotte and Atlanta and I can say that in regard to one of the earlier responses, there is no Charlotte versus Atlanta thing. There is no comparison, they are in totally different leagues. I was in Charlotte up until last night and enjoy the growth that is going on but as I drove into my office in Buckhead today, it really became clear that they are FAR apart.

Back to the question. Charlotte is seeing great growth and is having a building boom in the condo market, the new arena is reeping benefits for the city, you have the Nascar HOF coming and there is a good vibe going on in general. With that in mind, they get a great deal of flack from other cities who are on the same tier that are not seeing the excitement that Charlotte is. That turns to jealousy and anger. You also witness that Charlotteans as do Atlantans have a very high view of themselves and that rubs people wrong.
Atl/Clt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #7
uptownliving

I think it stems from the fact that Charlotte has lots of money and has used that money to "steal" various companies from just about every major metro in the South....such as "stealing" C&S from Atlanta....or Birmingham Steel is another good example.

Granted these were all legitimate purchases but if someone came to Charlotte and snatched up a company like Lance and moved a lot of stuff away I would be pissed too.
uptownliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Amd1588

No one from Georgia hates CHarlotte, if anything people just use to get annoyed at how the CHarlotte forumers USE to act like CHarlotte was in the same category as Atlanta, Miami, And Houston. Which is really laughable, but i doubt that its jealousy.
Maybe that could be the case with Atlantas rivalry with other Big Metros i.e. (Houston or Dallas) But Noooooooo, not Charlotee!!!
Amd1588 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #9
emjohnson2

Charlotte (Krystal Carrington) and Atlanta (Alexis Colby) are arch enemies because of their regional location. Actually both cities are more alike then different. Both are large southern cities, regional centers with many HDQs, very impressive skylines (although Atlanta has the edge),both are tourist destinations (atlanta also has the edge on this too)........in My opinion, Atlanta contributes a little more to hisiory then Charlotte....as the former is so gleemy and new. Other than that, they are almost the same. They are not even that far apart, the only major city between them is Greenville, SC which serves as a small buffer, but not a threat. I don't have a problem with Charlotte for its our leading city here in NC, even though Charlotte may pick a fight with its little brother Raleigh from time to time (the cause of that being that Charlotte realizes its not the dominant city in NC, it may be the largest but not dominant for there are other cities /Raleigh, W-S, Greensboro, Durham, Fayetteville, Asheville, High Point & Wilimington/ in the state of considerable size who are economic centers of their own state regions).
Luckily for Atlanta, its doesn't have those types of worries because even in the existance of the GA cities..... mentally, Atlanta is Georgia...I hate to admit.....but Charlotte is not North Carolina. Atlanta would seem more powerful in stature and presence and its domination as a large city in the state of Georgia. So, Krystal and Alexis...stop the catfighting!!!!!!! You both mirror each other on just has a tad bit more then the other. I have evn heard some locals that I know call Charlotte "Little Atlanta"
emjohnson2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #10
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 2

Maybe some people have had way too many arguments and pointless debates with some Charlotte forumers - it doesn't matter who is right, or wrong - and they associated the forumers with the city I don't think that the majority of forumers hate Charlotte; the topic of this thread does nothing to improve things. If it read Why do some people hate Charlotte on this board?, or How do you feel about Charlotte?, the chances of getting a clear idea would have increased ten-fold. As is, one could make the assumption that most forumers in SSC hate Charlotte... which I have no evidence of. Just because of some vocal critics, one should not label everyone. If you want to put this theory to test, check out the latest photo threads by uptownliving and Style. People love photos, and when they see how the city looks through the eyes of those who actually live there, the impression is positive. Personally, I love to see photos and I do not care what people think of Charlotte; I have formed my own opinion and it is a positive one.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #11
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Likes (Received): 1

Because there are & have been many Charlotte forummers, whenever you have that many people talking about Charlotte, especially when the forummer is young - you're bound to attract attention. Same can be said for all the cities I listed in another thread - Atlanta, Miami, Houston & San Antonio are home to many over-zealous boosters on this & other forums. Philadelphia & Chicago are also home to many forummers, in this case they are at more times defensive & often retaliate with the 'urbanity' offense.
teshadoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #12
TheCharlottean
650,000 and growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd1588
No one from Georgia hates CHarlotte, if anything people just use to get annoyed at how the CHarlotte forumers USE to act like CHarlotte was in the same category as Atlanta, Miami, And Houston. Which is really laughable, but i doubt that its jealousy.
Maybe that could be the case with Atlantas rivalry with other Big Metros i.e. (Houston or Dallas) But Noooooooo, not Charlotee!!!
No intelligent Charlottean is going to compare the QC to the ATL. The only people who do that are delusional idiots or people who know absolutely nothing about Atlanta.
In reference to the actual topic question at hand, I've heard several different things from the people that harbour some resentment for Charlotte (Which is by no means every non-Charlottean on SSC), and it's more often against Charlotte forumers than the city itself. I know Evan thinks we post way too much about non-important projects (Which is more of a problem on UP than here, IMO), and Spencer... Well, I can't tell whether he's serious about some things he says or not. I'd have to say the only people that hate Charlotte are... And I know I will regret saying this... some forumers from the rest of NC. It's more evident on UP's North Carolina forum, but plenty of people from the Triangle and the Triad say Charlotte's boring, that it has no culture blahblahblahblah (Which isn't true, it may not have as much as some other cities its size, but that's quickly changing, and its already larger size than places like Greenville give it an edge in culture simply because of the larger size of the city. More people means more events and venues, regardless of exactly how many). I think many NC forumers unnecessarily get defensive whenever big bad Charlotte is mentioned; I guess they think they have something to prove to non-NC people that may think that Charlotte is the only city in North Carolina. I don't know where that started, but it's obviously wrong... Charlotte only really leads NC in population, skyline and finance, anything else and it's no longer the definitive leader (nightlife, surrounding scenery and landscape), and in some cases is actually less able to compete than its smaller brethren (higher learning institutions, biotech [OK, bad example with the new Kannapolis project]). Some people from cities like Raleigh and Winston-Salem need to realize they don't have anything to fear or defend (or prove), and just embrace their big brother for what he is, a sibling, not a grandaddy.
And that's my two dents.
TheCharlottean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Atl_Col
El GaTo VoLaDoR

Likes (Received): 89

Charlote= Overrated just like Houston and Dallas, personally i have nothing against Charlotte, but i think that Atlanta is a better city and that reminds me of a Atlanta Vs Charlotte thread in city vs city where Charlotte won... seriously i don't see how can Charlotte be better than Atlanta !!!! maybe in some years, but not now!!!

Los unicos heroes de este conflico son los miembros de las Fuerzas Armadas; Muchas Gracias.
Atl_Col no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #14
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

For some people Charlotte is better than Atlanta, obviously there are people that choose to live there. It's all a matter of choice - certainly if my primary interests were suburban areas, I would choose Charlotte. Otherwise some people prefer newer downtowns with modern architecture.

Who really gives a **** when some people prefer Charlotte to Atlanta? It's not anyone's business to question - it's their own opinion. I've got my own opinions that some people would find peculiar, I like Asheville more than Charlotte, Denver more than Atlanta, Louisville more than Nashville, New Orleans (theoretically - with a better economy, safer, more tolerable environment between Blacks & Whites & less humid) than any place mentioned.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #15
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 21

357Ways--You are a newb. You can't talk! Just kidding. I don't hate Charlotte!!!!!!
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #16
triadcat
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357wayz
Seems as if people on this board go out of their way to talk junk about Charlotte and to disregard us. This is not an opinion, this is through observation. Esp. notice a large number of Georgia residents that practice Charlotte bashing on this board. So what gives? Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. But I'm just curious, where does the Charlotte hate come from?
Jealousy.
triadcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #17
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 7

Charlotte's a good town but usually when people dislike a city and it get's a lot of positive attention it fuels their disdain and sometimes people act on it. It's just a sign of disrespect, jealousy, or a lack of manners. At least they could voice their grievences politely. Never mind them.
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #18
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

And this whole tirade of "anyone who doesn't like another city is jealous" is getting old. Sometimes, people just don't ******* like other cities and it has nothing to do with jealousy or envy - they just don't like the city. I'm not defending some past accusations toward Charlotte or any other city (such quite often is the case with Atlanta), but the reasoning that the issue is jealousy is utter bull shit.

Grow some balls - just because someone doesn't like your favored city or state doesn't mean you should chant some nursery school mantra. They probably aren't jealous, they're likely either being an asshole or they simply - in all honesty - don't like your own choices.
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #19
Amd1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetop
J*E*A*L*O*U*S*Y

Of what......Sprawl?, We have plenty.
Amd1588 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #20
panamaboy9016
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!

Not me...

I happen to have been to Charlotte almost 5 times and they have an extremely nice skyline for a median sized city of only 1.5 million people.It is very very extremely nice. I don't hate it whatsoever. The only city in the South that I am jealous of of is Nashville because now they have approved and will most likely get under construction Signature Building of 319m,1047 feet. That will make Bank of America Building the second tallest building outside of the ones in NY and CHI in which makes me extremely jealous but that is pretty much it.
panamaboy9016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote