daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #181
farminger

Likes (Received): 0

And so the inevitable, fruitless, and utterly absurd comparative muslinging commences. Why is it so very difficult for all of you to just sit back and recognize, without bias, the fact that there are many great cities, filled with many great people, which have many great and visionary projects under way? Each city, people and project are quite special in their own way, and this sort of partisanship just drives unneeded wedges between people.

The world is becoming far too small for this sort of behavior.
farminger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #182
desirous

It's called ***** envy. One city has a larger *****.
desirous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #183
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayadi
What Staff said is right. Shanghai is more to like a financial city and Dubai is more to like a tourist city. Shanghai is the premier financial center of a country that is on its way to become the economic superpower of the world. The UAE government sure has made nice investments in constructing flashy skyscrapers to attract people but it doesn't have the bright future like Shanghai.The geographical location of Shanghai is superior of that of Dubai.It is located at the booming East Asian region and is located much better to export to North America

Cool890, sure your city is building the world's tallest tower. But in terms of citywide construction and economy, Shanghai is ahead.

But I do respect how much effort Dubai has put in to build numerous mega projects, it will fire up the motivation of other city to compete to become the world's most exciting city

I think all of you are bashing Dubai without a reason. Dubai isnt a plastic city, noone creates something that astonishing without demand and there is demand. The designs are ceirtanly not rubbish, look at the designers, most of them are genius! The thing is when your building that much you cant guarantee that all the highrises are exeptional! And frankly i think Dubai will have more beautiful and more importantly, recoqnizable buildings than Shanghai etc, what makes asian cities skyline (except Singapore) are usually normal Tall (very tall) commieblocks.... a percent or two are mby nice cladded buildings that stand out, frankly.... Dubai is building more exeptional ones than commies. Citywise construction - Dubai is ahead of Shanghai, Shanghai is building alot, naturally, but its mostly huge commieblock suburbs, eh, i saw our occuping communist regime build by all means MEGA projects right here in Tallinn too, projects which housed 1/3 of all current citizens, but id rather have em not, because they are commies.....
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #184
Fayadi

I didn't criticise Dubai's design nor criticise the city. Please do not put words into my mouth. Have you been to Shanghai? What do you mean normal tall commieblocks? Except Singapore? I have lived in both Singapore and Shanghai and I would say Shanghai has better skyline. You singled out Hong Kong also ,the city which has the most number of skyscraper in the world! I am starting to question your knowledge about Asian skyline. Singapore sure is a very wonderful place to live, I studied there for 7 years and I am really pleased by its quality of life. But if you are talking about skyline, Shanghai is more beautiful and has more art in it.

Citywide construction Dubai is ahead? If we count up the number of cranes in both Shanghai and Dubai, it will be an interesting count. Both cities have the largest number of cranes in the world. Shanghai is growing at 12 % a year and is more sustainable than Dubai because it thrives on booming Chinese economy and manufacturing. While Dubai thrives on tourism. It is obvious which economy is more sustainable.

By the way, if you have been reading lately, Chinese economy is certainly not communistic, it is more capitalistic than most European countries. It has lower tax to do business than the developed nations
Fayadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #185
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

I'm sorry to appartently have started an irrelevant discussion in a thread designated for a skyscraper under construction (a bloddy nice one as well), but just have to act when Dubai forumers are bashing bashing cities that are way out of their league. If there would be a comparission between Dubai and Las Vegas, Orlando or even Macau, then it's a completely different story for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
It depends what you mean by a "world city". Shanghai is certainly much bigger and more of a real city but it's 99% Chinese. Dubai is 85% foreigners. Emirates has ambitions to become the largest long-haul airline in the world. It's a very international and worldly place. The owners are Arab, the managers are Anglos, the taxi drivers and construction workers are Indians and Pakistanis, the maids are Filipina, and the whores are Russian. That's a kind of "world city" surely?
The concept "world city" can of course be defined in many different ways. A large portion of Dubai's residents is from other parts of the world, yes, however most of them being poor workers (construction, taxi drivers, maids and prostitutes - not exactly the top-jobs, eh?) operating under terrible conditions for lousy wages. If they would loose they're jobs and not being able to find a new one, they get kicked out of the country immediately.
Further on, if that is how you define a "world city" (ie. a large percentage of the population is immigrants), then a city like Malm÷ is one of the "worldiest" cities out there. And I think we know that isn't exactly true...

Shanghai's future looks totally different than that of Dubai's. China's economic growth and growing importance is hard to find elsewhere on this planet - and the centre of this huge economic machine is located in Shanghai. It will be a top alpha tier city in a matter of years, while Dubai, even though growing in importance, will remain a tourist destination and possibly an air and cargo hub.

Now, I'm going to try and steer us back to the original topic by posting this construction photo, taken in late February. Hopefully from a pretty unusual angle.
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #186
Fayadi

Allright, I guess this whole thing is a misunderstanding, as I read through the forums. Basically that Dubai forumer is trying to boast about Burj Dubai , his real intention wasn't to bash Shanghai but to discredit SWFC which some of us can't take it. Let's just forgive each other, the purpose of this forum is basically to showcase each other's beautiful architecture. I am sorry for being misled in the discussion too
Fayadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #187
xiaoluis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

going really fast
xiaoluis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #188
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

Very nice updates and pics, thanks
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #189
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

I would like to visit China someday...
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #190
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 2913

One of my life to do things is to go to the observation deck of the SWFC once its completed. And I have every intention of fulfilling that goal.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #191
lucky1988_61

June 12th

photo taken by jamyan

lucky1988_61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #192
lucky1988_61

Plus ~ some reli nice pictures !!!
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #193
lucky1988_61

Check it out~~~

Old June 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #194
mannix_10
Gold Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1988_61
Check it out~~~

I don't see how these relate to the thread.....seeing as though SWFC is not present....cheers anyway
mannix_10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #195
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

^ @ lucky1988 61. Brilliant pictures!! SWFC coming along nicely.

What floor is SWFC at now?

(Jin Mao looks better every time i see it)
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #196
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 101

Awesome pics man.......Shanghai rocks........

Webcams Thread / Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #197
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

fantastic pics, they look wonderful
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #198
decepticon
decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
I disagree with that. Burj Dubai will be stunning and there are many other absolutely beautiful scrapers UC in Dubai. Of course there are some ugly ones as well but then there are plenty of ugly and poor quality scrapers in Shanghai too - many of them standing empty.It depends what you mean by a "world city". Shanghai is certainly much bigger and more of a real city but it's 99% Chinese. Dubai is 85% foreigners. Emirates has ambitions to become the largest long-haul airline in the world. It's a very international and worldly place. The owners are Arab, the managers are Anglos, the taxi drivers and construction workers are Indians and Pakistanis, the maids are Filipina, and the whores are Russian. That's a kind of "world city" surely?

Watch out what you sayin, dickhead
decepticon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #199
Ivalice.
When you feel the slip...

Likes (Received): 1

absolutely astounding! great pics! serves tremendous justice!
Ivalice. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #200
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1988_61
June 12th

photo taken by jamyan

Shite! its suddenly got much taller!!! i like what i see
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote