daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #161
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYZIEDOGG
rival or no rival,shanghai is doing a great job with one of the best looking skyscrapers EVER
i absolutely 100% agree
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #162
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpq21
So how high is it? I counted around 47 floors. So around 220m? I counted 37 to the steel frame.
its 47 in core box, thus 219.5m ,so good guess! this is rising rapidly!

Old June 9th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #163
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool890
[SIZE=6]The burj dubai top floor is 2,063 feet so how is SWFC a rival when it not even close.SWFC will never be the world's tallest buiding

What the **** is wrong with you.......we all know that SWFC will not be as tall as BD......so why the hell do you have to be a troll and try to take away from this amazing building.........
Old June 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #164
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool890
The burj dubai top floor is 2,063 feet so how is SWFC a rival when it not even close.SWFC will never be the world's tallest buiding

The difference between Shanghai and Dubai is that Shanghai is actually able to come up with awesome towers all the time, whilst Dubai hasn't been able to produce a single good looking skyscraper since Burj Al Arab.

Shanghai is a future alpha tier and world city, whilst Dubai is a Disneyland with tall, and most of the time ugly tall buildings.
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #165
jacobboyer

Likes (Received): 1

I have to say staff is right dubai is about as real of a city as an ice cube is a ice sheet. swfc is an amazing building and burj dubai is a tourist attraction so stop ripping on swfc shanghai and new york city are way better citys than your dubai.
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #166
ggmm

Likes (Received): 2

Completely agree.. Shanghai is a REAL city and not an intent*.
ggmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #167
runway whore
runway whore

Likes (Received): 0

yeah dubai is kind of like a carnival...it doesn't impress me that much... like they may be building the tallest building but +looks around+ who cares really? i feel like building the tallest is just stupid.. because the next year someone will have a bigger one.. and its just stupid.. lets put up a skyscraper and celebrate for 2 years and then next year someone will have a taller one? When a tower reaches past burj dubai it will just fade in the distance..no one will care.?...I think shanghai, dubai, should be totally put in different classes..who in the hell heard of shanghai or dubai 15 years ago.. no one...but i do respect both cities grand showcases of buildings but it gets kind of old.....burj dubai willl never reach the status of the sears tower or the empire state building......they are iconic...I think people lose cite of a lot of things when building a city....with new york.. i don't like that they are building the freedom tower... i think its stupid...when i was there last summer....walking around downtown looking to the north towards midtown.. the empire state building was gorgeous like everything was still so incredible.. new york is still an amazing city.....Could you imagine New York City without the Empire State Building? ...i think i would die...history repeats itself... so you can have all the tall buildings you want... and i feel embarrassed that the United States is building tall in new york right on top of something that screamed a lesson....and dubai? your right in the terrorists back yard.. good choice?..
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #168
TowerPower
Ashld-biggest little city

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff
The difference between Shanghai and Dubai is that Shanghai is actually able to come up with awesome towers all the time, whilst Dubai hasn't been able to produce a single good looking skyscraper since Burj Al Arab.

Shanghai is a future alpha tier and world city, whilst Dubai is a Disneyland with tall, and most of the time ugly tall buildings.
I'd agree that many of the buildings in Dubai are sub par, but to say that the Burj Dubai is the only good looking skycraper since the Burj Al Arab is absurd. Every city has its share of good and bad buildings (yes even Shanghai)

Right now Dubai is building at a frantic pace and to allow for this speed quality has been sacraficed in many instances. It's true, Dubai isn't a city with a core such as New York or Shanghai. One day however, after the dust has settled, we'll all be witness to something unique. My hunch is that you'll all be pleasantly suprised at how well the chaos turns out.
TowerPower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #169
drmadham

Quote:
Originally Posted by runway *****
yeah dubai is kind of like a carnival...it doesn't impress me that much... like they may be building the tallest building but +looks around+ who cares really? i feel like building the tallest is just stupid.. because the next year someone will have a bigger one.. and its just stupid.. lets put up a skyscraper and celebrate for 2 years and then next year someone will have a taller one? When a tower reaches past burj dubai it will just fade in the distance..no one will care.?...I think shanghai, dubai, should be totally put in different classes..who in the hell heard of shanghai or dubai 15 years ago.. no one...but i do respect both cities grand showcases of buildings but it gets kind of old.....burj dubai willl never reach the status of the sears tower or the empire state building......they are iconic...I think people lose cite of a lot of things when building a city....with new york.. i don't like that they are building the freedom tower... i think its stupid...when i was there last summer....walking around downtown looking to the north towards midtown.. the empire state building was gorgeous like everything was still so incredible.. new york is still an amazing city.....Could you imagine New York City without the Empire State Building? ...i think i would die...history repeats itself... so you can have all the tall buildings you want... and i feel embarrassed that the United States is building tall in new york right on top of something that screamed a lesson....and dubai? your right in the terrorists back yard.. good choice?..
some of your views came out to me as being quite narrow-minded, and without intellect. As iconic and grand old cities and buildings are, this is a new era with new cities that are setting new styles of urban development.

Your right about the current fad of skyscrapers being kinda silly, but your other comments were quite inaccurate. Terrorists backyard? please..
Also, this IS a skyscraper forum. Tall buildings are supposed to make us all jumpy and excited, usually regardless of their political background
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #170
Bertez

Okayyyy......I think I am part to blame for this side track in topic......lets get back to admiring SWFC
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #171
BenBen

BenBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #172
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

219,5 meters, thats great!!
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #173
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertez
Okayyyy......I think I am part to blame for this side track in topic......lets get back to admiring SWFC
You took the word right out of my mouth!!

Old June 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #174
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

just impressive !!!!!!! its definitively one of the most beautiful skyscrapers worldwide !!

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #175
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

now we can wait for 300m.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #176
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

lol, looks like I missed a funny, pointless and completely offtopic discussion :P

SWFCs beauty in my opinion is in the simplicity of its elegance. Sleek, smooth face and lines that lead the eye up to its unique aperture. I am also a fan of BD and BD is unique in its own way. Both towers are representative of the new age of super structures we are living in and make me very happy I am alive to see these go up.
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #177
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
I disagree with that. Burj Dubai will be stunning and there are many other absolutely beautiful scrapers UC in Dubai. Of course there are some ugly ones as well but then there are plenty of ugly and poor quality scrapers in Shanghai too - many of them standing empty.
Quote:
It depends what you mean by a "world city". Shanghai is certainly much bigger and more of a real city but it's 99% Chinese. Dubai is 85% foreigners. Emirates has ambitions to become the largest long-haul airline in the world. It's a very international and worldly place. The owners are Arab, the managers are Anglos, the taxi drivers and construction workers are Indians and Pakistanis, the maids are Filipina, and the whores are Russian. That's a kind of "world city" surely?
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #178
Bertez

That is a horrible thing to say.....you just classified a group of people under a certain job........
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #179
Fayadi

What Staff said is right. Shanghai is more to like a financial city and Dubai is more to like a tourist city. Shanghai is the premier financial center of a country that is on its way to become the economic superpower of the world. The UAE government sure has made nice investments in constructing flashy skyscrapers to attract people but it doesn't have the bright future like Shanghai.The geographical location of Shanghai is superior of that of Dubai.It is located at the booming East Asian region and is located much better to export to North America

Cool890, sure your city is building the world's tallest tower. But in terms of citywide construction and economy, Shanghai is ahead.

But I do respect how much effort Dubai has put in to build numerous mega projects, it will fire up the motivation of other city to compete to become the world's most exciting city
Fayadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #180
desirous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertez
That is a horrible thing to say.....you just classified a group of people under a certain job........
He's honest though. People from every country meet that... employment criteria. :p
desirous no está en línea   Reply With Quote