daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Queensland

Queensland Brisbane

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM   #101
rivercity
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 0

Im talking about the retail atmosphere. Like when you walk from central station to QSM, through that arcade thingy...although there are tenants there, and many many ppl pass by them... you dont see many ppl in the shops buying things...and the stores change hands quicker that you skyscrapers get approved in china. You could say the tenants may not be of 'high calibre': tenants where people will actually go in search of the store to make a buy, or a store that gains a good reputation for their superior products over competitors in the city.
rivercity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM   #102
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 271

But i think this arcade isn't like a eat and run type of arcade like central station is. I think it would be a more attraction type of shopping arcade...If you know what i mean...like, people would go there to shop...because it isn't an arcade that links 2 streets together its kinda just like there...
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:15 PM   #103
rivercity
brisbanite

Unless they can pull off something of the same degree as say queens plaza. Or something original, unlike any shopping centre in brissie, which has something to offer none other can..............unless they can do this, no one will go there; it simply isnt in the main shopping district of brisbane - if people wanted to shop, they would go to QSM or an established shopping centre in the burbs.
rivercity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM   #104
duke

Likes (Received): 35

I checked out the designs yesterday.

I think the design with the "slug" and the tourist tower is the worst design. It has no sympathy to the form of any of the surrounding buildings and looks like a World Expo site where each building is trying to compete and stand out from its neighbours.

In particular, a viewing tower of that height in that part of the CBD is pointless.
duke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:30 PM   #105
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Ummm what the hell??? So you prefer the lovely and classy colourful shade cloths...or wait...the one with the pond...mmmmm that's nice... not.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #106
duke

Likes (Received): 35

I prefer that the open space be retained and that the City Hall should not be detracted from. My pick, on that basis, is the design with the large shade cloth structure linking King George Square to the opposite sides of Ann and Adelaide Streets. (Not the coloured shade cloth structures).
duke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:36 PM   #107
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 93

I would agree, apon reading what people have said about the designs (That have seen them) the slug is easily the best.

Culwulla has stated that an ob deck does not need to be above the rest of be buildings, and among them... Thats an opinion just bringing the fact to the table. You dont need to be above everything for it to be worth it.

If it is specifically an ob deck then it will be an actual tourist attraction. Like the Swan Bell Towers in Perth.

Furthermore, Not the main shopping districts? It is on Adelaide st, DIRECTLY across from the Albert St QSM Crossing. My ******* arse it isnt the main. Its right on the main section, so think again about that.

Go with the slug!
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM   #108
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

I think campbell prefers the slug as well...
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM   #109
GMAC
Yeah but No!!

Likes (Received): 19

I actually didnt write a comment down because I chose to read the comments first and the majority of the comments suggested that the slug design was the best. Then there was the comment from two Japanese Tourists that Town Hall was a lovely building........it was quite funny.

As for the shopping arcade, I would have thought that it would mostly cater for buy and run customers given that this is one of the exits for the Bus Station so most stores will be aiming for the passing trade. And besides, who wants to put nice shops in an underground shopping arcade, the glass canopy above isnt that big.
GMAC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM   #110
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

I guess we well see won't we.
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #111
Locke
alright, kick-ass

Likes (Received): 517

Yeah I got a feeling slug and tower is the mayors fav as well, in fact seems like the slug and tower is a fav all round.

As for vantage points, what's wrong with have a few around the city, they don't all have to be 200-300m up in the air. Go to a European city and invariably you can climb up most churchs/monuments/important buildings if you want. It's just more options. I'm sure the people of Perth don't mind Bell tower being there.

I think this OB deck will be top spot for us to take pics of all the tallies! Plus it's an attaction in and of itself. At the moment Japanese tourists are taking pictures of like bus stops in Brisbane! Bus stops! So an actual tourist attraction will be good! And it's pretty original, we're not like just sticking in a generic ferris wheel or something.

And as for making a difference, well think, the BCC got 226 replies to the masterplan, and they say their was broad support for unlimited height! That shows that a.) Brisbane is not as conservative as ppl would think and b.) Considering how little people invariably reply to such things you can see that, taking into account how many of us there are, we can have a notable impact if we bother to write in! (I don't think their is any online consultation for the KSG comp but you can probably send off an email and it won't hurt).

Anyway, go the slug and tower:P
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #112
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Last edited by SoulvisionQ1; June 4th, 2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #113
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 93

Where did you send it to?
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #114
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

I just sent an email to the council...

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:S...938:pc=PC_2072
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #115
Orfeo

Likes (Received): 32

I had a look at the designs today as well. I think the Urbis design is the best, the rest are at best mediocre. I kind of like the tower, but it will never be built....

In response to the comments by Riverside and SoulvisionQ1 about the retail, from reading the comments and looking at the plans presented of the Urbis design I think you've both gotten confused over its purpose. The retail aspects of the proposal is small and simply acts as a link between the bus station, Ann and Adelaide streets - exactly as in the connection via Anzac Square to the QSM from Central station. The term "convenience stores" and "eateries" are literally used in the proposal and is restricted purely to the ground and underground level, so the slug is certainly not planned as a new retail zone of the city. The redevelopment is to better the currently existing public/civic space, not to create a retail development.

Most of the building is to be given over to museum, proposed to be the Asia-Pacific Centre for Photographic Art (presumably connected with the trienial comp)
Orfeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #116
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeo
I kind of like the tower, but it will never be built....
don't be like that! have some hope...that Campbell will initiate it... It is just pure common sense that this goes ahead.
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #117
Trawler

I checked them out today. Must say I'm pretty shocked at the low quality level of the other submissions. One of them was hand drawn, which would have been fine if it wasn't so messy. Slug and Tower is a no brainer.
Trawler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #118
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler
Slug and Tower is a no brainer.
would you care to explain why you think this???
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #119
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 82

Does the tower have any pracitcal application or is just a viewing tower? I'd like to see it perform some function.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #120
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

FUNCTION!!! What possible function do want! An observation deck...Isn't that a function!!! i think people are being way too picky!! This design will do Brisbane justice...