daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2006, 06:13 AM   #241
Mauricio Canada
Mauricio Canada

Likes (Received): 0

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...0629childs.asp

Childs Unveils Final Design for Freedom Tower

June 29, 2006

The yearlong design development of the World Trade Center Freedom Tower concludes Friday. To mark the occasion, on Wednesday David Childs, FAIA, of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, presented several final drawings and maquettes to an audience of 700 architects, engineers, and clients at the AIA New York Chapter’s 2006 Design Awards.

“The building is remarkably the same as the one I unveiled a year ago,” Childs said, but he stressed three significant design refinements since then. The building’s antenna, for example, will be constructed as a closed form; Childs and collaborator Kenneth Snelson originally proposed an open latticework. This final iteration features a lozenge shape that tapers to a point, and the web-like frame is slightly visible underneath it. Childs said the iconographic element will still have the quality of lightness, and suggested that it would be programmed with light displays and other dynamic features.

In addition, the glazing surrounding the building’s 69 office floors will eliminate spandrels. Each glass component will stretch to the floor’s full, 13-foot, 4-inch height. This characteristic offers “a unique character of monumentality,” Childs said. “It also provides a marker in the sky of the most important place, the memorial itself.”

In introducing changes made to the base of the Freedom Tower, Childs confided that he “wasn’t sure” of the architecture’s ultimate evolution. Safety concerns forced the design team to wrap the bottom 186-foot-tall portion in a wall of concrete that is almost uniformly three feet thick. “The concrete could have looked like a barracks,” he said. The solution: 2,000 sheets of prismatic, laminated safety glass will clad the concrete. The 4-by13-foot panels features prisms of different depths; the variety is meant to animate the skin with a variety of shadows and colors that move according to weather conditions, or with the changing perspective of the viewer. “Most consistent with the building would be to build the space out of glass,” Childs noted. “This is a friendly, warm plinth to the shaft above it.”

The multifaceted skin will fold and morph into seating at the plaza level. Childs, who envisioned “confusion about whether the building is growing out of the ground,” is working with Peter Walker, who is also the memorial’s landscape architect, on this aspect of the project.

World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein introduced Childs at the event. He promised listeners that the Freedom Tower—for which below-grade excavations, footings, and foundations were begun in April—would be ready for occupancy by 2011, and the entire site completed the following year.

David Sokol

Images courtesy Silverstein Properties, Inc., and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM   #242
italy
abbia ogni cosa !

This skyscraper will look very great.!!!
italy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM   #243
Chrispic

Likes (Received): 514

Was the question perhaps already required, but the tower will have a concrete core or a steel core?
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM   #244
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

A concrete core with 2 -3 feet thick walls.
germantower está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM   #245
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

Whats that little building next to Freedom Tower and infront of 7WTC?

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM   #246
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Its the performing arts center.
germantower está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM   #247
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

I have to say, the whole new WTC project now just seems bland to me, every redesign has brought it closer to the look of the Old Twin Towers (which I thought were ugly), Freedom Tower has become grey and boxy. A real disappointment for me.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM   #248
moxwax

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamandell (d69)
I have to say, the whole new WTC project now just seems bland to me, every redesign has brought it closer to the look of the Old Twin Towers (which I thought were ugly), Freedom Tower has become grey and boxy. A real disappointment for me.
I think that's what a lot of people wanted if they couldn't get the twin towers rebuilt - a tower that evokes the image of the old towers. This is kind of a compromise between the people who wanted the old towers rebuilt and the people who favored a new design.
moxwax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 06:28 PM   #249
M.Schwerdtner

Likes (Received): 3

the spire looks ugly ... i think they isnt compatible with the building ... looks like a turned pin ...
M.Schwerdtner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM   #250
blackhawk08

Quote:
Freedom Tower has become grey and boxy
its not grey, its silver, and the base changes color when UV rays hit it.
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM   #251
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

i heard its actually going to be clear. they redid the whole facade, so even the 'basebunker' of whatever you wanna call it is going to be reflective.

my only gripe is the obdeck on top. it was better before.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:36 AM   #252
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Construction stops at WTC site and others in NYC after strike deadline passes

NEW YORK (AP) -- Work was called off at the World Trade Center site and more than 100 other sites across the city Saturday by contractors anticipating a strike of more than 3,000 heavy equipment operators.

The International Union of Operating Engineers' Local 15 wouldn't confirm a walkout Saturday, after a midnight Friday deadline passed. A union spokesman who wouldn't identify himself said no agreement had been reached with the General Contractors Association of New York, but hung up when asked if the union's 3,200 members were on strike.

Contractors shut down their sites in anticipation of a walkout, said Chris Ward, managing director of the contractors association. He said over 100 sites were affected on Saturday, including a road rehabilitation project in Queens and a sewer repair project. After the holiday weekend, more than 1,000 sites could be affected, he said.

Spokesmen for trade center projects, including foundation work on the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, said they called off their Saturday work anticipating a strike. Other work that had been scheduled included preparatory work for a $2 billion planned transit hub at the site and excavation of land where three office towers will eventually be built.

Talks with the workers, including crane operators and workers who operate drilling rigs, backhoes and compressors, broke down Thursday morning. No dates have been set for new talks.

Ward said earlier that the operating engineers, who make up to $82 an hour, rejected an offer of 6 percent salary increases each year over five years and a plan to retrain existing machinery operators whose jobs are no longer necessary because of new technology.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:37 AM   #253
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/ed...editorial_.htm
PATAKI'S PIT:POTEMKIN PROGRESS

July 1, 2006 -- Gov. Pataki is so eager to claim credit for all the spectacular progress at Ground Zero, even the fact that there isn't any progress isn't stopping him.

On Thursday, he strutted about the pit like an ostrich, boasting proudly, "We've made tremendous strides" at Ground Zero.

The cause for celebration? An alleged deal for the U.S. General Services Administration to rent 600,000 square feet of space in the Freedom Tower.

You know the Freedom Tower - that grand edifice that can be seen for miles, soaring 1,776 feet into the air? The one for which not one but two groundbreakings were held (in case you weren't swayed by the first)?

Uh, what's that? Don't see any Freedom Tower at Ground Zero?

Hmm. Must be another figment of Pataki's imagination. But then, so was the lease deal with the GSA Thursday.

In truth, no lease at all was signed.

Not even a letter of intent.

There was something called "Memorandum of Agreement No. 2" inked by the relevant parties. But its purpose, it says, is merely "to recognize both parties' intent to negotiate" a lease and "to emphasize the commitment of the parties to cooperate in good faith to facilitate" a federal presence at the Freedom Tower.

Catch that - intent to negotiate?

Some breakthrough.

No lease terms agreed upon, no rental price or time period spelled out. And no OK from Congress or the federal Office of Management and Budget.

And is that a problem? Well, sort of.

"Although there's nothing wrong with this document," says Assemblyman Richard Brodsky (D-Westchester), "it doesn't do anything."

Still, this is what passes for progress after five years of paralysis and misstep at Pataki's Pit. It's all part of the gov's alternate reality.

Which also explains the signs going up Downtown touting all the new projects that will be done (right!) by 2010.

Starting Wednesday, you can go to lowermanhattan.info and see a video all about it. (Just don't go to Ground Zero, where none of it exists.)

"Tremendous strides," the gov says.

Please.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:11 AM   #254
blackhawk08

blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:44 AM   #255
Haber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Whats that little building next to Freedom Tower and infront of 7WTC?

Great, now where's the second one?
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:47 AM   #256
Principes
To Engineer is Human

What will the construction be like to prevent, future sep 11's?
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:17 AM   #257
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Construction stops at WTC site and others in NYC after strike deadline passes

NEW YORK (AP) -- Work was called off at the World Trade Center site and more than 100 other sites across the city Saturday by contractors anticipating a strike of more than 3,000 heavy equipment operators.

The International Union of Operating Engineers' Local 15 wouldn't confirm a walkout Saturday, after a midnight Friday deadline passed. A union spokesman who wouldn't identify himself said no agreement had been reached with the General Contractors Association of New York, but hung up when asked if the union's 3,200 members were on strike.

Contractors shut down their sites in anticipation of a walkout, said Chris Ward, managing director of the contractors association. He said over 100 sites were affected on Saturday, including a road rehabilitation project in Queens and a sewer repair project. After the holiday weekend, more than 1,000 sites could be affected, he said.

Spokesmen for trade center projects, including foundation work on the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, said they called off their Saturday work anticipating a strike. Other work that had been scheduled included preparatory work for a $2 billion planned transit hub at the site and excavation of land where three office towers will eventually be built.

Talks with the workers, including crane operators and workers who operate drilling rigs, backhoes and compressors, broke down Thursday morning. No dates have been set for new talks.

Ward said earlier that the operating engineers, who make up to $82 an hour, rejected an offer of 6 percent salary increases each year over five years and a plan to retrain existing machinery operators whose jobs are no longer necessary because of new technology.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
Great, Obstacles just keep coming up. Dont they.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

Old July 5th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #258
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

July 4th 2006, God Bless The USA

the infamous WTC "footprint"....

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #259
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Dang!!! What a peaceful construction site.

Old July 5th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #260
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Well, 102 floors, are you height freaks happy?

If the article hasn't been posted here it's been posted on skyscraperpage.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote