daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #281
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Height shouldn't matter to anyone [but it does to the insecure and jealous], I could care less if it were only 250m tall, I value design over size. And it's turned out to be a nice design, good job NY!

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #282
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion
Height shouldn't matter to anyone [but it does to the insecure and jealous], I could care less if it were only 250m tall, I value design over size. And it's turned out to be a nice design, good job NY!

You've gotta be kidding me. You're saying height shouldn't matter on a forum for skyscrapers? That's like saying looks don't matter when it comes to Playboy magazine.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #283
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

D'oh...

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #284
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/op...le_gelinas.htm
GROUND ZERO RISKS

STRIKE HIGHLIGHTS LINGERING WOES

By NICOLE GELINAS

Silverstein: Still working out "details." Silverstein: Still working out "details."
July 7, 2006 -- THIS week's strike by Gotham's crane operators' union reminded New Yorkers that for the Freedom Tower and for the rest of the office towers planned for Ground Zero, it's still a long way from now until 2014.

Sure, the Freedom Tower's looking much better, on paper, at least, now that the role of Gov. Pataki's hand-picked architect for the site, Daniel Libeskind, has faded to a strange memory. Last week, David Childs, private-sector developer Larry Silverstein's competent architect, unveiled a detailed design for the tower that would do Downtown proud: a blueprint for a soaring tapered building whose façade features a delicate safety-glass overlay that will both camouflage the tower's bomb-resistant concrete base and complement the recessed memorial nearby.

Further, the Port Authority, which owns Ground Zero, and Silverstein, whose company owns the right to build on it, seem to have finally hammered out the outline of a workable financial agreement for the whole site, except for a few "minor details" glossed over by the press.

Under the preliminary deal announced in April, Silverstein will build the Freedom Tower for a fee and hand it over to the Port Authority to rent out once it's done in 2011, and he'll build Ground Zero's other three buildings by 2014 and rent them out to tenants himself.

But Silverstein's contractors had barely begun work on the tower's foundation when the crane operators reminded New York that the fate of Ground Zero doesn't rest only with Silverstein, the Port Authority and Pataki. It's also in the hands of New York's powerful construction unions, whose members will ensure that they get an ample share of Ground Zero's $7 billion (and climbing) price tag.

The city's 3,200 crane operators, for example, earn $150,000 to $170,000 a year (including benefits). But the workers weren't happy that general contractors wanted them to train for other jobs to avoid periods of paid idleness at sites. So they walked off their jobs for nearly a week, halting heavy-equipment work at about 1,000 projects around the city, including Ground Zero, until they hammered out a deal late yesterday.

The strike reminded New Yorkers that quasi-public projects like Ground Zero are essentially hostages to the New York pols' union politics.

Strikes, of course, waste time - which can mean a lot of money. Construction costs in the city here are increasing at twice the rate of inflation, notes corporate construction attorney Barry LePatner of LePatner & Associates, due in part to global demand for materials like steel and cement as well as to high local labor costs (evidenced by the crane workers).

At Ground Zero, such increased costs total as much as $1 billion, thanks to repeated delays over the two years since workers placed the Freedom Tower's cornerstone (now removed, since it doesn't fit yet in the new design). The project can't afford more stalls.

But the strike also reminded New Yorkers of another nagging reality: Those "minor details" to be worked out between Silverstein and the PA aren't quite so minor, after all.

For one thing, we still don't know who, exactly is responsible for cost overruns at the Freedom Tower itself, the Port Authority or Silverstein; that's still to be worked out.

This detail is important: If the Port Authority decides to shoulder all such overruns, construction unions will know they can easily pass the cost of their future demands to the PA's tollpayers and, perhaps, to New York state's always-compliant taxpayers.

Second, and just as important, the Port Authority outlined as part of the April deal that if Silverstein runs into construction delays at any of the four towers at Ground Zero, for any reason at all, from an oil embargo to a strike, he could potentially face a loss of the whole site back to the Port Authority.

The crane strike showed this isn't a theoretical issue - workers will strike periodically, especially if they know that this draconian clause has Silverstein over a barrel. Thus, Silverstein's unlikely to take a final deal that doesn't improve these terms.

Silverstein and the Port Authority have agreed to a deadline of Sept. 20 to figure out these issues - so a September surprise just nine days after the fifth anniversary of 9/11 isn't out of the question.

Nicole Gelinas is a contributing editor to City Journal.
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #285
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
im just anxious to see this bad boy light up.

That's absolutely ******* beautiful.
Old July 9th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #286
London
New York

Likes (Received): 0

It really will be the king of the skies
London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #287
jacobboyer

Likes (Received): 1

if anyone has seen the movie click when it shows him at his sons wedding in the future in the background there are twin freedom towers.
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #288
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobboyer
if anyone has seen the movie click when it shows him at his sons wedding in the future in the background there are twin freedom towers.
About which movie are you talking about????
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #289
jacobboyer

Likes (Received): 1

the movie Click with adam sandler it just came out
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #290
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

Yeah I saw Click too and it has 2 freedom towers clustered together with a bunch of other tall towers.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #291
blackhawk08

they are deconstructing the basement.

blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #292
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

jesus... how long does it take to clean up a site?

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #293
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

Yeah it has dragged on quite a while, just wish they could speed it up a bit more and start construction.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #294
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

http://www.earthcam.net/users/interf...2&clientid=158

The HD cam is back! There doesn't seem to be many changes from last month, but I'm pretty sure that things will start to get very hot very soon.

Last edited by Ebola; July 14th, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #295
blackhawk08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
http://www.earthcam.net/users/interf...2&clientid=158

The HD cam is back! There doesn't seem to be many changes from last month, but I'm pretty sure that thing will start to get very hot very soon.
thankyou Ebola!! thats the best news i have had all day!
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #296
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

it takes a while,because the slurry wall is still a bit sensitive + PATH trains runs right below whats left of that parking structure.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #297
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Why do they have flood lights on in the middle of the night, no ones working right, im guessing they cant do construction durning night because of people sleeping, sucks for night shifters though.
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #298
delahaye

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion

sorry, but the height is the only positive thing about it. the design itself is aweful. the grace of the previous designs is gone.
delahaye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #299
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3670

Looking again, atlease something happening down there rather than nothing

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #300
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

On Tuesday, July 18th, New York State Department of Transportation crews will begin removing the Vesey Street Pedestrian Bridge’s eastern extension (from West to Greenwich Streets). Its removal makes room for construction of the Freedom Tower.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote