daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:07 AM   #401
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Lol people are still bitching about the twins? Nick, you are comparing the twin towers to the Sydney Opera House and the Eiffel Tower? Kind of like an insult to the Opera House and the Eiffle tower if you ask me.
SNT lol, you pity a building? Damn we need to find you a woman.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:18 AM   #402
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

@ nygirl. Alot of guys on here need a woman. lol
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:49 AM   #403
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamandell (d69)
While the Freedom Tower design may be lame, the Twin Towers were lamer in terms of design.
Yamasaki was actually thinking about the surrounding area when he was building the Twins along with the rest of the WTC, and he believed that just by being simple, something can look good just like that.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:52 AM   #404
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
Lol people are still bitching about the twins? Nick, you are comparing the twin towers to the Sydney Opera House and the Eiffel Tower? Kind of like an insult to the Opera House and the Eiffle tower if you ask me.
SNT lol, you pity a building? Damn we need to find you a woman.
Ok not quite like the Empire State building or other major landmarks.But they did define New York at the other end.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:45 AM   #405
Vengineer

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Looks short and fat! Damn you, Silverstein! It would look perfect if it was much taller, but, as you said, it's far from final, if it even looks like that. Break into the 25th floor of Seven World Trade Center? Hell, I'm all for it.
I'm sorry... I just saw it again at work today and I realized that I drew it completely wrong. And no Ebola, its not short and fat, its was just my shitty drawing. Here is an updated depiction, definitely lacking details I know but I must leave it to your own imaginations. And oh, its had a much more impressive number than 1150 written on its pinnacle... I'll tell you that much. No dumb spires on this one. 2WTC is starting to give me a hard-on. Very very exciting indeed. Could just take the spotlight away from the FT.

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:02 AM   #406
Vengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper
Dear Superior, The true embarrasment is that with each passsing day that hole in New York sits empty, terrorists look more effective and New York looks more feeble. A handful of New Yorkers have spent more time squabbling over designs and who will pay the cost of rebuilding than the people of Oklahoma City and Washington DC (of which I am one) have spent mouring, memorializing, rebuilding and moving on.

Instead of nursing your victimization complex by praising a half a billion dollar memorial, why don't you ask the foundation to size it down and spend money on bomb detectors for ports or security for subways and tunnels. I'm sure the survivors would appreciate that much more especially if it prevents another tragedy necessitating another half a billion dollar memorial.
SpaceScraper, the truth of the matter is, it takes time (years) to plan and design 5 fairly large office hi-rises or skyscrapers. Don't worry, although time was wasted by the beaurocracy of government, the design process hasn't been nonexistent. It has been moving on. Those years weren't years wasted twiddling our fingers I assure you.

As for your second paragraph, there are plenty of bomb detectors and security for subways and tunnels with a vast amount of funding going into it. Try visiting New York City before commenting on its security. And on the contrary, survivors and relatives of victims are demanding a fitting memorial (many disagree with the current design) so diverting the funds to pay for additional bomb detectors would most certainly make them very angry. You don't seem to be fully informed with the whole thing so with all respect, do some research before making confrontational statements.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:34 AM   #407
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer
I'm sorry... I just saw it again at work today and I realized that I drew it completely wrong. And no Ebola, its not short and fat, its was just my shitty drawing. Here is an updated depiction, definitely lacking details I know but I must leave it to your own imaginations. And oh, its had a much more impressive number than 1150 written on its pinnacle... I'll tell you that much. No dumb spires on this one. 2WTC is starting to give me a hard-on. Very very exciting indeed. Could just take the spotlight away from the FT.

More than 1,150 feet tall? Can Foster do that? You know, I hope this tower does totally make FT look like crap. BUT, if it's so big, how much SF of office space will it have? It will exceed everything that was planned, and I don't think Larry will allow that.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM   #408
LeCom

Likes (Received): 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
More than 1,150 feet tall? Can Foster do that? You know, I hope this tower does totally make FT look like crap. BUT, if it's so big, how much SF of office space will it have? It will exceed everything that was planned, and I don't think Larry will allow that.
You don't think Larry would allow cramming more office space onto the site?

Thanks Vengineer for the update (don't we all love leakers), but you're saying that your T2 can take on our T1? It's on.

Hope this competition takes shit to new heights, cause then everybody wins.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM   #409
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCom
Heights metaphorically only of course, none of these towers will be higher (or as high) as the freedom tower.
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM   #410
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

but the current designs are ugly i think. to boxy!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM   #411
LeCom

Taken about an hour ago

Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:53 PM   #412
DMAG
Let's Go Mets!

Great pics!

I have no clue, but those trenches may not be related to the tower since they are so close to WTC 1's footprint. Those trenches may be the beginning of the memorial, or a retaining wall to seperate the memorial from the Freedom Tower. That huge waterfall is only a hop, skip and jump away from the Tower.
DMAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM   #413
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Ok not quite like the Empire State building or other major landmarks.But they did define New York at the other end.
Ok yeah, I know where you are coming.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM   #414
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Vengineer where are you getting these 'renderings' from?
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM   #415
LeCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAG
Great pics!

I have no clue, but those trenches may not be related to the tower since they are so close to WTC 1's footprint. Those trenches may be the beginning of the memorial, or a retaining wall to seperate the memorial from the Freedom Tower. That huge waterfall is only a hop, skip and jump away from the Tower.
Those trenches are a part of the tower, at least its basement levels. One of its senior contractors at Tishman told me.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM   #416
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
You don't think Larry would allow cramming more office space onto the site?

Thanks Vengineer for the update (don't we all love leakers), but you're saying that your T2 can take on our T1? It's on.

That's exactly what we need: competition between the architects of all of the WTC Towers. Only through competition are true icons born. For example, take a look at the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. But, because of the limits placed on rebuilding, I doubt that much good can happen. I hope everyone breaks the damn limits.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM   #417
Vengineer

I thought so too at first when Silverstein hired three seperate world renowned architects and their firms rather than giving WTC 2,3,4 over to SOM to finish the job. However, as competitive as their spirit may be, in the end they all work for the same client and I'm pretty sure Silverstein has already established FT as the crowning jewel and the icon of the WTC complex. They do work together too you know at 7 WTC, but I don't know if its a joined effort or a closed wall warfare of the ego-driven high-powered architects and their minions.

I'll tell you this though, if the pinnacle height of the parapet for 2 WTC remains as it is on the drawing (its not a render, its a CAD schematic provided from Foster's presentation which includes dimensions), then we're no longer looking at a design solely focused on the FT and a surrounding cast of insignificant buildings. We're looking at a configuration of triple towers plus two more fairly tall high-rises. It will be the very definition of the word Awesome as we all know it and NYC will be a world contender once again in building the best and the tallest.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:28 AM   #418
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
The freedom tower design is lame.Totally lame!

I agree with Donald Trump.They should build new towers virtually the same as the orginals but only taller.

New York needs those twin towers to anchor the downtown.

Imagine if the Opera House in Sydney,or the Eifel Tower in Paris were knocked down and they put something esle there to replace it.It just wouldnt happen.They would build it just like it was before.

In the case of the twin towers they were skyscrapers.Building them a second time but only taller will restore the area to its original glory and give New Yorkers a new era of confidence.
except the Twin towers weren't NYC's "Eiffel Tower" or "Sydney Opera House", the Statue of Liberty, ESB, or Brookyln Bridge share that title I'd say and shared it with Twins when they were standing. I know what you are saying though, there needs to be something iconic to make up for the icons that were lost.

But I disagree that there needs to be a twin tower design in order to fill the hole left behind. I actually prefer the design they are going with: one main tower that is taller than the twins were, and several others that are nearly as tall. I think it will definitely make lower Manhattan look denser than ever and I really like the rendering so far.

Also, I kind of feel that it is better to not rebuild the twins to sort of move on from the tragedy. It is like we would be trying to replace them as if the attack never occured, which is impossible.

That is just my opinion about it though.

On a side note... Structural Steel on the site??

YAY!!!
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:31 AM   #419
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Taken about an hour ago

cool photos,

trying to balance a total station on terrain like that is probably the biggest pain in the ass imaginable.
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:28 AM   #420
Icanseeformiles

Likes (Received): 137

are those rusty I beams in the ground all that is left of the towers in the third pic?
I am guessing that they are. Will they be left and incorporated into a memorial? I know of the water fall memorials obviously but will these stay too? i hope so.
Something should be left no matter how small it may be.
Icanseeformiles no está en línea   Reply With Quote