daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:23 PM   #141
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1286

Because not everything what can be called highrise is at the same time beautiful.
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:59 PM   #142
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

One of SSP's forumers is connected with SOM, According to him the spire will be beefed up enough that there will be levels inside of it, ontop of the 82 story office building.

Crane of 1 World Trade Center, Courtesy of Wired New York
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM   #143
germantower
i ♥ NY

So there can be a Observation floor above the outdoor Ob or what?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:17 PM   #144
Jay

There won't be an outdoor one according to SOM, There will be an indoor one at ~1300 feet (80th floor probably). The Tower's roof is 1335, Blue glass screens and other mechanical equitment extend to 1368', But the spire will be changed, It will be made thicker. I don't know to what degree but it will be more accessable than most spires which just have a ladder or little staircase in them. I'm excited for the new design.

I got my sources at SSP.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM   #145
germantower
i ♥ NY

And when will the new design be unveiled?I read i think in the internet that tere will be a indoor and an outdoor ob deck like it was on the former wtc2 building.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:12 AM   #146
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower
And when will the new design be unveiled?I read i think in the internet that tere will be a indoor and an outdoor ob deck like it was on the former wtc2 building.
I bet that it will be let out on July 4 or 5 because that's when the LMDC is releasing info about the future. If not then, perhaps it will be let out in September, with the other designs of the Triplet Towers.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #147
germantower
i ♥ NY

Yes thats possible!They will also unveil a "2010 video" on 5th july on www.lowermanhattan.info .

Last edited by germantower; June 23rd, 2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:56 AM   #148
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

It would be nice if the spire had levels that you can go into, but thinking logically its probably just a crawlspace and ladder for maintenence issues and such is all. no public access, and would not count as the highest occupied floor
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:37 AM   #149
Zardalu
Common Sense User

Likes (Received): 0

Nice... I'd like to see more floors on a tower this big... but I would imagine that adding some floors to the spire would not change the earlier numbers about the floors underneath that. And that is why I'm still a bit confused... . I am trying to match the text from SOM's site to an elevation image created by SOM (found on wikipedia), while also taking into account data provided by Emporis.com and SkyscraperPage.com.

The text:

Quote:
The program is organized as follows: Rising from the plaza level, an 80-foot-high public lobby is topped by a series of mechanical floors; together these form the 200-foot-high building base. Sixty-nine office floors rise above the base to 1120 feet elevation. Mechanical floors, two floors to be occupied by the Metropolitan Television Alliance, restaurants and observation decks culminate in an observation deck and glass parapet that mark 1362' and 1368' respectively - the heights of the original Twin Towers. An antenna supported by a cable structure rises to a final height of 1776'.
The picture:

[IMG]http://i5.************/15d1kz6.jpg[/IMG]

In the picture, I see the 1st floor, the 80-foot-high lobby, then I see 4 mechanical floors, and I see that lobby plus mechanical floors are 200 foot high. But then I see 70 dark blue floors going to 1140 feet (not 69 going to 1120 feet). OK, I can explain that by assuming the 70th of those floors (floor 75) is not one of those 69 office floors, but one of the other floors mentioned (one of the MTA, restaurant, or observation decks floors), and if that's the case, I am still following things...

Then follow 5 more mechanical floors and the floor count so far is 1+4+70+5 = 80. But what about on top of that? I would say that those white/yellow floors on top of that are 3 floors (not 2), making the total number of floors 83 (not 82 as both Emporis.com and SkyscraperPage.com give as the number of floors).

Also, I'd say from the picture that there are 5 basement floors (not the 4 SkyscraperPage.com gives). Below the 0 foot marker, there are three basement floors with images of people, but below that are what I would see as two more floors?

From the picture, I count 83 floors and 5 basement floors, not 82 and 4, so I'm seeing one more aboveground floor and one more belowground floor. Is the image an older design? Is there some convention that I don't know about that makes me count those 2 extra floors when I shouldn't? Are Emporis and/or SkyscraperPage wrong? I realise that this is a tower that has not yet been constructed, so until it is finished, nothing is really official, but I'm just trying to resolve what seems to me like conflicting information coming even from the same source.

Thanks for explaining this to me.

Last edited by Zardalu; June 23rd, 2006 at 03:48 AM.
Zardalu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:51 AM   #150
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3725

Damn!! The Lobby podium hall looks good!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:52 AM   #151
Zardalu
Common Sense User

As an aside note, from this detailed image, it can also be calculated pretty accurately that the top floor will be (or would have been, in case the spire is redesigned to have some more floors) at 1319 ft / 402.0 m.
Zardalu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:19 AM   #152
SkyscraperJunky
Ever Upward!

Likes (Received): 1

And so it begins........

SkyscraperJunky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:55 AM   #153
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10343

fantastic! lets get this baby movin! love the design.
i worked out this tower is 62.5m wide, is that about how wide former WTC were?
thanks
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:31 AM   #154
Ebola
BANNED

Well, that's 205 feet, and the twin towers were 200 feet, I think, so not exactly. I am sure that Freedom Tower is as tall (to roof) as the Twin Towers, plus the spire. I can't wait for steel. I'm also excited about the Triplet Towers and that fifth tower.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM   #155
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 809

great news !!! now it started construction !!!

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:43 AM   #156
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

And they're off!!!
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM   #157
blackhawk08

whats that white and blue machine? and btw thanks for the pics.
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM   #158
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Well, that's 205 feet, and the twin towers were 200 feet, I think, so not exactly. I am sure that Freedom Tower is as tall (to roof) as the Twin Towers, plus the spire. I can't wait for steel. I'm also excited about the Triplet Towers and that fifth tower.

The Towers were 210 feet
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM   #159
Ebola
BANNED

^Then Freedom Tower's 210 feet.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM   #160
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardalu

In the picture, I see the 1st floor, the 80-foot-high lobby, then I see 4 mechanical floors, and I see that lobby plus mechanical floors are 200 foot high. But then I see 70 dark blue floors going to 1140 feet (not 69 going to 1120 feet). OK, I can explain that by assuming the 70th of those floors (floor 75) is not one of those 69 office floors, but one of the other floors mentioned (one of the MTA, restaurant, or observation decks floors), and if that's the case, I am still following things...

Then follow 5 more mechanical floors and the floor count so far is 1+4+70+5 = 80. But what about on top of that? I would say that those white/yellow floors on top of that are 3 floors (not 2), making the total number of floors 83 (not 82 as both Emporis.com and SkyscraperPage.com give as the number of floors).

Also, I'd say from the picture that there are 5 basement floors (not the 4 SkyscraperPage.com gives). Below the 0 foot marker, there are three basement floors with images of people, but below that are what I would see as two more floors?

From the picture, I count 83 floors and 5 basement floors, not 82 and 4, so I'm seeing one more aboveground floor and one more belowground floor. Is the image an older design? Is there some convention that I don't know about that makes me count those 2 extra floors when I shouldn't? Are Emporis and/or SkyscraperPage wrong? I realise that this is a tower that has not yet been constructed, so until it is finished, nothing is really official, but I'm just trying to resolve what seems to me like conflicting information coming even from the same source.

Thanks for explaining this to me.

The very top one is not a floor but a glass screen.

There are 70 blue floors, but since there are 5 below it, the offices reach the 75th floor.

1140 feet is the height to the TOP of the 76th floor, The floorplate of the 75th floor is ~1125 feet.

As of now, The spire is the biggest mystery, We don't know how accessable it will be, But it will be beefed up to about as wide as ESB's mast, going to 1776 feet. So yes, this tower will be a true 1776 footer

Hope that straightens things out.