daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:45 AM   #161
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Wow! Where did you hear that the spire would be massive? I've heard a lot about the new changes to Freedom Tower, but nothing about the spire.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:59 AM   #162
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

^Skyscraperpage, Read around there, I'm not a member but it's fun to read and good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
^Then Freedom Tower's 210 feet.

Correct.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:55 AM   #163
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

It's time for a big start!!!

Ready for take off
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:18 PM   #164
engiNerd

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk08
whats that white and blue machine? and btw thanks for the pics.
I believe that machine is for driving test piles. I could be wrong though, anyone know for sure? Might even be taking soil core samples.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."
engiNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM   #165
kangarooMN09

Likes (Received): 2

i don't understand. How can they start the construction when the final design is not yet confirmed?
kangarooMN09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #166
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Maybe the design of the underground section of the building is finished and or not relevant for smaller design changes.And i am sure that they will stick with the site where they start to build it.I am amazed about how big the changings will be.
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:29 PM   #167
Jose Luis
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 44

awesome! i wanna see it rising already
Jose Luis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #168
DMAG
Let's Go Mets!

Likes (Received): 1

Very eerie seeing the old parking spaces in this picture...

DMAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #169
Ebola
BANNED

Oh, I'd hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I think that big crane was removed; I'm pretty sure that it was only used to remove Freedom Tower's cornerstone from the site.
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #170
blackhawk08

anyone got a link to that webcam? the good one where you can zoom in and out.
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #171
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Oh, I'd hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I think that big crane was removed; I'm pretty sure that it was only used to remove Freedom Tower's cornerstone from the site.
yeah, you're probably right. that crane looked a little too flimsy to be used for anything more than removing the cornerstone from the site.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #172
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

It was just for removing the cornerstone, and other little things, but that can be considered 'site clearing' or 'indirect construction' if anyone wants to feel better.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #173
Zardalu
Common Sense User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarooMN09
i don't understand. How can they start the construction when the final design is not yet confirmed?
Because they always design things with some additional tolerance. After all, it would not be very smart to design a building to be a certain height, weight, and so on, without having some tolerance. Imagine a building that was designed to be strong enough to be, say, 100 floors, but not strong enough, maybe, to support 101 floors. Would you feel safe in a building that could support exactly 100 floors but was not considered safe enough if the weight of one floor were added to that?

So they have some leeway. And they can start construction and make changes along the way. After all, from the moment they start construction until finish, they have 3 or 4 years. They can build 50 floors and still have 1 or 2 years to decide exactly what they're going to do at the top of the building.
Zardalu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #174
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-361364c.html
Ground Zero mob tie?

Firm banned by city & feds excavating for Freedom Tower

BY GREG B. SMITH
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A contractor banned by the city and feds for longtime ties to the mob is blasting away bedrock at Ground Zero in the first step toward construction of the Freedom Tower, the Daily News has learned.

In late April, Laquila Construction won a multimillion-dollar job to perform excavation and build the foundation for the highly symbolic tower. The company is using explosives to accelerate the work.

Laquila was hired despite the fact the firm is blackballed by the city and federal governments from bidding on public contracts.

The company's president is under federal indictment on criminal charges of bribing a mob-controlled union so he could use nonunion help on unrelated projects.

The Freedom Tower is being built for the Port Authority by developer Larry Silverstein, with publicly subsidized Liberty Bonds that cut costs.

Silverstein hired Tishman Construction as the general contractor to manage construction of the tower. Tishman, in turn, hired Laquila.

"Laquila came in with the lowest responsible bid, and they're one of the very few firms in this area that has the experience to handle such a complex project," said Silverstein spokesman Bud Perrone.

The company began blasting into Ground Zero bedrock this month, the first step toward completion of the long-awaited Freedom Tower.

Laquila President Dino Tomassetti Sr. was indicted in December 2004 on charges of paying cash bribes to corrupt union officials from 1992 through 2001.

The payments allegedly went to Operating Engineers Locals 14 and 15, two locals the FBI said were infiltrated by members and associates of the Colombo crime family.

Tomassetti pleaded not guilty and has been meeting with prosecutors to discuss a possible plea deal, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Perrone said Laquila was eligible for the Ground Zero job because the firm no longer has any connection to Dino Tomassetti Sr. and was now being run byson Dino Jr.

In March 2004, the city Business Integrity Commission denied Laquila a license to run a waste transfer station because ofwhat it termed evidence that Laquila was "involved in racketeering activity," records show.

The commission cited Laquila's "longtime ties to organized crime" and alleged that the company has repeatedly lied about its connections to gangland figures.

During the trial of ex-mob boss Peter Gotti, an informant testified that Laquila had regularly made payments to the Colombo and Gambino crime families.

Michael (Mikey Scars) DiLeonardo gave testimony that the Laquila firm had been making mob payments from the "early 1990s" through June 2002, when he was arrested.

In June 2005, the Laquila firm was barred indefinitely by the U.S. General Services Administration from bidding on federal contracts because of the indictment of Tomassetti, records show.

Laquila paid a $25,000 fine in 1991 to settle criminal charges in New Jersey that it bribed landfill officials to allow illegal dumping.

In 1990, the city School Construction Authority barred Laquila from bidding on jobs for not mentioning the then-pending Jersey charge. The three-year ban ended in 1993, but the firm has not applied for approval to resume bidding on jobs with the construction authority.

Originally published on June 21, 2006
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #175
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/24/ny...24freedom.html
With Tower Yet to Rise, Cornerstone Leaves Town

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
Published: June 24, 2006

The 20-ton cornerstone of the Freedom Tower was carted off from the World Trade Center site early yesterday, nearly two years after it was ceremoniously set in place on July 4, with its silvered, chiseled letters proclaiming it a "tribute to the enduring spirit of freedom."

No one made a speech yesterday morning. No one sang "God Bless America." No one read from the Declaration of Independence.

Instead, the cornerstone was placed on a truck and returned to Innovative Stone in Hauppauge, N.Y., where it will remain for as long as two years until it returns to ground zero.

About 6:30 a.m., the five-and-a-half-foot-high block of Adirondack granite was hoisted by crane from its place near the temporary PATH terminal, said Mel Ruffini, a senior vice president of the Tishman Construction Corporation, which is building the Freedom Tower for Silverstein Properties on behalf of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Then it was lowered onto a flatbed truck and covered in a tarp. By 7:15, it was rolling up the long ramp out of the ground zero pit, headed for Innovative Stone on Long Island, where it had been cut, honed, polished and inscribed in 2004. It arrived safely three hours later, said Karen Pearse, the chief executive at Innovative.

The cornerstone will be kept there in a plexiglass case, viewable by appointment.

"It needs to be repositioned to make sense in the new building," said David Worsley, a senior vice president and the director of construction at Silverstein Properties.

When the Freedom Tower was redesigned last year because of security concerns, the cornerstone's location was rendered obsolete. The architects shifted the building's edge about 40 feet to the west, leaving the cornerstone standing outside the bounds of the reconfigured tower.

But stand it did, protected under a blue plywood enclosure, while the tower project faced delay after delay.

Its absence carries a couple of meanings. Obviously, it is an acknowledgment that much of what passed for progress at ground zero to date has been longer on symbolism than on substance.

On the other hand, with the cornerstone gone, the foundation subcontractor, Laquila Construction, can begin excavating the east side of the tower site to prepare it for the underground infrastructure.

When he presided over the cornerstone-laying two years ago, Gov. George E. Pataki declared, "Today, we build the Freedom Tower."

As it turned out, the building could not start until the cornerstone was removed.
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #176
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

That i found while surfing the internet!Hope it is not posted yet!

The Church street side of the site.
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #177
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

does anyone know the type of construction will be used for freedom tower? will it have concrete core/steel frame? eg- Burj Dubai-all concrete,SWFC-concrete core, steel frame etc.
i have a feeling concrete core, steel flooring and frame.
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #178
Ebola
BANNED

The robust, redundant steel moment frame, consisting of beams and columns connected by a combination of welding and bolting, resists lateral loads through bending of the frame elements. Paired with a concrete-core shear wall, the moment frame lends substantial rigidity and redundancy to the overall building structure while providing column-free interior spans for maximum flexibility. Freedom Tower will be topping out in 2009 and is projected to be ready for occupancy in 2010.
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #179
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

^many thanks ebola.i sort of thought that would be case.
should look impressive while rising back up to 417m. and massive spire rising even further then original antenna.
cheers
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #180
blackhawk08

Construction Workers To Rally At WTC Site Today

June 26, 2006

In an effort to get work on the Freedom Tower moving forward, construction workers and their supporters are set to rally at the World Trade Center site later today.

They're calling on six insurance companies to pay the $770 million in claims needed to get the project rolling.

The insurers say a tentative deal splitting ownership of buildings at the site between developer Larry Silverstein and the Port Authority may keep them from paying up.

They say since Silverstein would no longer own all the buildings, they may not be responsible for all the claims he was due.

The rally is set to kick off at noon at 1 Liberty Plaza.

This comes just days after we learned that construction at the World Trade Center site isn't just slow. It's actually going backwards. The Freedom Tower cornerstone was removed from the site Friday, two years after it was installed because of new design plans.

(http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=60521)

I found this over at SSP
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote