daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 5th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #581
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
Do you think he was serious? I thought it was a joke!
It was a joke in a certain way , however a really serious joke would have cities like Bagé, Passo Fundo and Canoas. It is interesting that some cities in the tread (serious ones!) are way worse than the cities in my list.

1- Well, they are better than Barcelona at least. With only has some weird looking churches. There are 500 cities in europe better than Barcelona.

2- And they are better than any major city in Brazil. For example, Rio de Janeiro is nothing more than one huge shanty town (only 20% of the city has decent quality) in a OK environment.

Last edited by Guaporense; December 6th, 2008 at 12:00 AM.
Guaporense no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #582
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

No city in the Americas, Asia, Australia or Africa can even come close to qualifying as the most beautiful in the world. Of course this is an opinion thread. Edinboro, Florence, Venice, Stockholm, Paris and Amsterdam are cities that are in a class of their own. I laugh when people say that Vancouver is the most beautiful city on earth. Sure the setting is nice. European cities are the most beautiful. Urbanity in Europe is an art form. This is my opinion.

Many cities are thought to be beautiful because of their setting but I see through that.
philadweller no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #583
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

Ha ! it looks like every one here picks out their own city and adding the other two of their fav cities ... then we have three most beautiful Cities in the world according them , not a bad idea ! just abit too many beautiful Cities waiting to be visisted
skyboi no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #584
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

"1. Vancouver
2. Santo Domingo ( Dominican Republic)
3. Tokyo
4. Perth, Australia "

I've been to the first two and was underwhelmed in the aesthetics department.
philadweller no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #585
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboi View Post
Ha ! it looks like every one here picks out their own city and adding the other two of their fav cities ... then we have three most beautiful Cities in the world according them , not a bad idea ! just abit too many beautiful Cities waiting to be visisted
I will ad MY town them:

Guaporé Brazil, urban population: 17.000

Aerial:

The glorious city gate:

The town's church:

Tallest building in town:

Second tallest:

The town's Jesus statue (there are hundreds in Brazil):

The impressive town's night skyline (also, you can see jesus in the hill):
Guaporense no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #586
tonight

Likes (Received): 50

My top 3:

PARIS

SYDNEY

BUENOS AIRES
tonight no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #587
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
NYC

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My top 3 cities again are
NYC
Paris
Rome

I know i posted this but im going to post more photos

Old December 6th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #588
1692mono
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

1.paris
2.venecia
3.san cristobal de las casas
1692mono no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #589
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
No city in the Americas, Asia, Australia or Africa can even come close to qualifying as the most beautiful in the world. Of course this is an opinion thread. Edinboro, Florence, Venice, Stockholm, Paris and Amsterdam are cities that are in a class of their own. I laugh when people say that Vancouver is the most beautiful city on earth. Sure the setting is nice. European cities are the most beautiful. Urbanity in Europe is an art form. This is my opinion.

Many cities are thought to be beautiful because of their setting but I see through that.
Finally somebody talking sense
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #590
tonight

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post

you've got the point @philadweller
i vote for you
tonight no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #591
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

Likes (Received): 6

I gotta hand it to Manhattan. Many cities in the world are beautiful. Very few are humbling the way New York is.

By definition London and Paris are more beautiful, but you don't really get a sense of their enormity at street level. There's no mistaking you're in a big city when in Manhattan.
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #592
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I gotta hand it to Manhattan. Many cities in the world are beautiful. Very few are humbling the way New York is.

By definition London and Paris are more beautiful, but you don't really get a sense of their enormity at street level. There's no mistaking you're in a big city when in Manhattan.
Isn't one of the most amazing abilities of a city like London to fool you into thinking that you could be in a village (hampstead etc) a wild national park (hampstead heath) A huge buzzing cultural centre (West End) the centre of global finance (the city of London). It's ability to conceal it's size is one of it's main selling points, there are countless squares and parks in London where you can relax and be totally unaware that you are in the centre of a megacity.
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #593
gonzo

I would rather live in a London setting than an NYC setting but a London-like setting is much more common than a Manhattan-like setting. This makes NYC a more essential travel destination IMO.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #594
Mauz®
Utonto

Likes (Received): 501

How strong I hate IDIOTS flooding threads with dozen or hundreds of photos of their cities!!!!
Are they so STUPID not to be able to express a meaning with few words and FEW IMAGES?!?
Summarizing is something that's learned at the PRIMARY SCHOOL!! You only have to choose the key words and, in this case, THE KEY IMAGES to describe what you mean!
Moreover, RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE is something learned at the CHILD SCHOOL!! And posting a lot of images on a public webpage (like this) is NOT RESPECTFUL, because it only cause a very slow loading of the page!

If I am interested in every single, little, hidden, unknown, MEANINGLESS DETAIL of a city I VISIT IT PERSONALLY!!!! I don't need an IDIOT loading 825018510 photos to know it's worth a visit!!!! If everybody acted this way we would need a pc like ones used by NASA in order to load only this pages!
I really think the admin should limit the number of photos that can be published in a post, because it seems that too many people aren't able to do it by theirselves.

BY THE WAY, my favourite cities are:
1) Venezia (Venice in English);
2) New York;
3) London / Paris (aex aequo).

Sadly, I'm conscious that my dear Milan wouldn't be named even in a TOP 100, by I love it the same!
Mauz® no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #595
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Never been to Milan, but from the pictures I've seen, it's certainly worth a 'top 100' place.
_00_deathscar no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #596
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I would rather live in a London setting than an NYC setting but a London-like setting is much more common than a Manhattan-like setting. This makes NYC a more essential travel destination IMO.
I think London is one of the most unique cities I´ve ever visited. Furthermore I don´t think it feels small at street level. The streets and cityscape goes on forever. It´s not as grand as NYC though.

I have never been to NYC and I´m sure its great but more and more cities around the world are starting to look like it (i.e. lots of skyscrapers). A "NYC-like setting" is much more common these days.

Yeah and I agree with mauz, stop the spamming please.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #597
Mauz®
Utonto

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Never been to Milan, but from the pictures I've seen, it's certainly worth a 'top 100' place.
Milan displays many actractive things, but also a lot of ugly ones... This is the result of decades of economic growth and relative "speculation" (I don't know if this term really exists in English! I tried tyo translate it by Italian! )!
Maybe in a few years Milan will be able to display not only its actractions, but also nice surroundings!

Actually it seems something is changing in this direction... There are many nice projects...
Mauz® no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #598
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauz® View Post
How strong I hate IDIOTS flooding threads with dozen or hundreds of photos of their cities!!!!
Are they so STUPID not to be able to express a meaning with few words and FEW IMAGES?!?
Summarizing is something that's learned at the PRIMARY SCHOOL!! You only have to choose the key words and, in this case, THE KEY IMAGES to describe what you mean!
Moreover, RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE is something learned at the CHILD SCHOOL!! And posting a lot of images on a public webpage (like this) is NOT RESPECTFUL, because it only cause a very slow loading of the page!

If I am interested in every single, little, hidden, unknown, MEANINGLESS DETAIL of a city I VISIT IT PERSONALLY!!!! I don't need an IDIOT loading 825018510 photos to know it's worth a visit!!!! If everybody acted this way we would need a pc like ones used by NASA in order to load only this pages!
I really think the admin should limit the number of photos that can be published in a post, because it seems that too many people aren't able to do it by theirselves.

BY THE WAY, my favourite cities are:
1) Venezia (Venice in English);
2) New York;
3) London / Paris (aex aequo).

Sadly, I'm conscious that my dear Milan wouldn't be named even in a TOP 100, by I love it the same!
Talk about being a hypocrite.
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #599
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
A "NYC-like setting" is much more common these days.
Among modern megacities, yes.

Most of the world still doesn't live in megacities, let alone 'skyscraper' megacities.

Only recently has there been more recorded people living cities/towns than in the country.

Again, I don't consider Manhattan 'ideal' urbanity. But if variety is the spice of life there is nowhere more worthwhile to visit.

Last edited by gonzo; December 10th, 2008 at 12:53 AM.
gonzo no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #600
uru_manya_leo

Likes (Received): 129

- Henslinki
- Sidney
- Honolulu

This 3 cities are the most beautiful in my opinion, they are very dufferent but they have their own beauty
uru_manya_leo no está en línea  

Closed Thread