daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #601
Quall
Registered User
 
Quall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,992
Likes (Received): 462

1. Sydney, Australia
2. Nice, France
3. Cape Town, South Africa
Quall no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #602
Blackpool88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 720
Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I would rather live in a London setting than an NYC setting but a London-like setting is much more common than a Manhattan-like setting. This makes NYC a more essential travel destination IMO.
I disagree, I think London as a city has an utterly unique feeling to it where I'd say that New York with its skyscrapers and gridded street layout could be anywhere, I think the older European cities have much more character and individuality then the North American ones.
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #603
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!
 
Skyline_FFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Here in the middle of nowhere
Posts: 3,388
Likes (Received): 110

I think this is all very subjective. And opinions differ. Some people like skyscraper-filled cities, other people like unique places like London or Paris!
__________________
Ziss Iss Mei Sicknetscha
Skyline_FFM no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #604
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Alabama, China
Posts: 1,201
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
I disagree, I think London as a city has an utterly unique feeling to it where I'd say that New York with its skyscrapers and gridded street layout could be anywhere, I think the older European cities have much more character and individuality then the North American ones.
Anywhere?

I can count the number of sites in the world that resemble this on one hand.



For better or worse, this will change in the future, and as it does the 'Manhattan experience' will become less significant.

London is beautiful for the same reason many cities (of all sizes) are beautiful. Its appeal is more substantial than New York's but indeed more common.
__________________
^ What he said.

Last edited by gonzo; December 10th, 2008 at 05:12 AM.
gonzo no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #605
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,085
Likes (Received): 283

I think nyc's skyline is quite distinctive as its skyscrapers are a lot older than most cities...
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #606
MD99
Mr.Mississauga
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga (toronto)
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

Overall beauty:

PARIS
VENICE
MONACO

Beautiful Skyline:

HONG KONG
SINGAPORE
CHICAGO
MD99 no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #607
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,351
Likes (Received): 893

Tbh only skyscraper enthusiasts see the difference between NYC and other skyscrapercities, whereas the difference between London and other cities of its size is so huge that anyone can see it.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #608
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

That's not true at all.
_00_deathscar no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #609
AAL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Athens
Posts: 2,742
Likes (Received): 31

Both London and New York are very distinctive and unique, for different reasons. No reason to fight! :-)
AAL no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #610
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!
 
Skyline_FFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Here in the middle of nowhere
Posts: 3,388
Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL View Post
Both London and New York are very distinctive and unique, for different reasons. No reason to fight! :-)
That is true!
__________________
Ziss Iss Mei Sicknetscha
Skyline_FFM no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #611
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,351
Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
That's not true at all.
Some might recognize the ESB, but people who donīt pay any interest in cities canīt really see the dfference between skylines. Iīve experienced this many times.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #613
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Alabama, China
Posts: 1,201
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Tbh only skyscraper enthusiasts see the difference between NYC and other skyscrapercities, whereas the difference between London and other cities of its size is so huge that anyone can see it.
This is downtown Oviedo, Spain. A beautiful small city with a population of 221,202.

image hosted on flickr


I fail to see how downtown London (the megacity) has a fundamentally different look than Oviedo.

Manhattan has a fundamentally different look from almost every human settlement, regardless of size.

Again this doesn't make it better, just less common.
__________________
^ What he said.
gonzo no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #614
MDguy
Registered User
 
MDguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Some might recognize the ESB, but people who donīt pay any interest in cities canīt really see the dfference between skylines. Iīve experienced this many times.
yes because we all know NY is only skyscrapers and there is no such thing as these "streets" or "parks" or dare i say "attractions" like in Europe
MDguy no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #615
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,351
Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I fail to see how downtown London (the megacity) has a fundamentally different look than Oviedo.
Yes you could proboly find a street in London that would look much like that. But then you can find bits of Paris, NYC and Hong Kong in London as well. I think itīs pretty safe to say that London is the most architecturally diverse city in the world.

I love Paris, and Iīm sure NYC is amazing but when it comes architectural variety they canīt compete with London. For better and worse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Manhattan has a fundamentally different look from almost every human settlement, regardless of size.
Yeah obivously it couldnīt look like Oviedo due to its skyscrapers. But that is really what NYC lacks. Small streets, old alleys and forgotten courtyards.

Also, I think even many Americans could confuse NYC with Chicago.

This is a street in Milwaukee which could pass as a NYC street.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MGguy
yes because we all know NY is only skyscrapers and there is no such thing as these "streets" or "parks" or dare i say "attractions" like in Europe
I never said that. I said that to most people NYCīs skylie would not look very unique. To me it looks different, but thatīs because learned to recognise it.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #616
MauzŪ
Utonto
 
MauzŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milano
Posts: 9,809
Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Talk about being a hypocrite.
I didn't wrote your name, but you felt in need to answer me the same, do you have a guilty conscience?

By the way, why should I be an hypocrite? Because I love New York, but I don't like to see (AND TO LOAD!!) 9579025927 photos on the same page?

If the reason is this you really need to open a dictionary and search the meaning of the word "hypocrite", instead of putting it randomly in your phrases after having probably heard it at the tv!



I agree about your city! It's beautiful (not the best, but almost)! And sometimes, soon or late, I will visit it or maybe live there! But I don't need to load tons of photos to know it!

Last edited by MauzŪ; December 11th, 2008 at 01:03 AM.
MauzŪ no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #617
Guaporense
Registered User
 
Guaporense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,147
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
1: Paris, France


2: Toronto, Canada



3: Rio De Janeiro, Brasil
My opinion about Toronto and Rio de Janeiro:

Toronto: Here we have: 1 ugly and very tall tower and some boxes.

Rio de Janeiro: It is a shantytown with some natural stuff around.

The joke cities that I posted while ago were better than these ones... Well, at least Paris is really one of the greatest cities in the world in every way imaginable (including beauty).
Guaporense no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #618
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Yes you could proboly find a street in London that would look much like that. But then you can find bits of Paris, NYC and Hong Kong in London as well. I think itīs pretty safe to say that London is the most architecturally diverse city in the world.

I love Paris, and Iīm sure NYC is amazing but when it comes architectural variety they canīt compete with London. For better and worse.




Yeah obivously it couldnīt look like Oviedo due to its skyscrapers. But that is really what NYC lacks. Small streets, old alleys and forgotten courtyards.

Also, I think even many Americans could confuse NYC with Chicago.

This is a street in Milwaukee which could pass as a NYC street.





I never said that. I said that to most people NYCīs skylie would not look very unique. To me it looks different, but thatīs because learned to recognise it.

Are you kidding me. There is no way london is more architecturally diverse than NYC. If you go to london most of the buildings are in the same type of style. We have small streets but there is no need for small streets. We got rid of alleys because there were no need for them any more. That comment was pointless. forgotten courtyards? Why is that such a big deal. Also I know for a fact that the street in that picture can not pass a NYC street. I live in NYC i know how the urban design is.
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #619
Teslatron
Registered User
 
Teslatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 257
Likes (Received): 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
This is a street in Milwaukee which could pass as a NYC street.

I am sorry but that Milwaukee street looks nothing like NY, since NY has different lightposts.
Teslatron no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #620
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauzŪ View Post
I didn't wrote your name, but you felt in need to answer me the same, do you have a guilty conscience?

By the way, why should I be an hypocrite? Because I love New York, but I don't like to see (AND TO LOAD!!) 9579025927 photos on the same page?

If the reason is this you really need to open a dictionary and search the meaning of the word "hypocrite", instead of putting it randomly in your phrases after having probably heard it at the tv!



I agree about your city! It's beautiful (not the best, but almost)! And sometimes, soon or late, I will visit it or maybe live there! But I don't need to load tons of photos to know it!
No guilty conscience but you posted after the fact that i did post alot of pictures. No i know how to use the word and you emphasized respect for others then how can you tell me that when you insulted me in the same post.
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"
CityPolice no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu