daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #621
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslatron View Post
I am sorry but that Milwaukee street looks nothing like NY, since NY has different lightposts.
Dont forget about about the street layout but what does he no he doesnt live in the US

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #622
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
My opinion about Toronto and Rio de Janeiro:

Toronto: Here we have: 1 ugly and very tall tower and some boxes.

Rio de Janeiro: It is a shantytown with some natural stuff around.

The joke cities that I posted while ago were better than these ones... Well, at least Paris is really one of the greatest cities in the world in every way imaginable (including beauty).
Are you on drugs or something?

Have you ever been to Rio?

You should at least read something about places before saying some shit about them...
JPBrazil no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #623
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14127

Paris, Sydney, Amsterdam, Madrid, London......

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #624
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

But it is really impossible to say which city is the nices. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a small city no one knows. So it would never be mentioned. Same goes for at least tens of thousands of citiesw around the globe!
Old December 11th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #625
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Are you kidding me. There is no way london is more architecturally diverse than NYC. If you go to london most of the buildings are in the same type of style. We have small streets but there is no need for small streets. We got rid of alleys because there were no need for them any more. That comment was pointless. forgotten courtyards? Why is that such a big deal. Also I know for a fact that the street in that picture can not pass a NYC street. I live in NYC i know how the urban design is.
I feel sorry for you man. Youīre comparing a 2000-year-old city to a city that was the size of a village 200 years ago. London has everything from roman/medieval architecture to modern glass buildings. Architecturally NYC is mostly dominated by 19th/20th century buildings and skyscrapers. Not to mention that its street plan itīs based on a typical boring grid pattern.

That Milwaukee pic I posted was merely a reply to gonzoīs post. Oviedo looks nothing like London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslatron
I am sorry but that Milwaukee street looks nothing like NY, since NY has different lightposts
Congrats for missing the point!
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #626
CityPolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
I feel sorry for you man. Youīre comparing a 2000-year-old city to a city that was the size of a village 200 years ago. London has everything from roman/medieval architecture to modern glass buildings. Architecturally NYC is mostly dominated by 19th/20th century buildings and skyscrapers. Not to mention that its street plan itīs based on a typical boring grid pattern.

That Milwaukee pic I posted was merely a reply to gonzoīs post. Oviedo looks nothing like London.

Congrats for missing the point!
Boring grid pattern. This so called boring grid pattern makes NYC one of the most walkable city in the world and it works out for us fine. Do you think curves going in all directions make for an easy straight commute. You could easily be lost if you were a tourist. It is also why we have one of the most extensive subway systems in the world. Its young yet it surpass most cities in the world in lots of categories. 19/20 century buildings is not a type of style. And of course it ahs mostly these because it was founded only in 1624. And 200 years ago it wasnt a village. In 1810 it had 96,373 and it had that little and grew to be the most populous city beating london in 1925. The fact that they had roman/medieval is not based upon the city itself but on the fact of the roman empire taking control of great britain. The US is only 400 years old. We made are own style. Also that last comment was so unnecessary and what was the point if i missed. I was just saying that how can you get confused. Each city has there own signature style layout. Different building styles in NYC include brownstone rowhouses, townhouses, and shabby tenements, Garden apartments, Gothic, Post Modern, Art Deco, Modern, Post WW, High rise, skyscraper, supertall, Flat iron, etc

Old December 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #627
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
But it is really impossible to say which city is the nices. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a small city no one knows. So it would never be mentioned. Same goes for at least tens of thousands of citiesw around the globe!
Much more beautiful than any megacity I know of (and i know them all ).

I saw a movie about the bothers Grimm once and I could swear it was filmed here.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #628
gonzo

Quote:
Yes you could proboly find a street in London that would look much like that. But then you can find bits of Paris, NYC and Hong Kong in London as well. I think itīs pretty safe to say that London is the most architecturally diverse city in the world.

I love Paris, and Iīm sure NYC is amazing but when it comes architectural variety they canīt compete with London. For better and worse.

Yeah obivously it couldnīt look like Oviedo due to its skyscrapers. But that is really what NYC lacks. Small streets, old alleys and forgotten courtyards.

Also, I think even many Americans could confuse NYC with Chicago.

This is a street in Milwaukee which could pass as a NYC street.
We need to consider that the value of a destination has mostly to do with travelers themselves. I would agree that London is a more worthwhile destination for people who already live in places such as Hong Kong, Chicago, Shanghai, Dubai...
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #629
CityPolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
We need to consider that the value of a destination has mostly to do with travelers themselves. I would agree that London is a more worthwhile destination for people who already live in places such as Hong Kong, Chicago, Shanghai, Dubai...
I dont agree wit your statement. Just give you my honest opinion. Im live in new york and im learning more things and finding more great places and things to do everyday. So i dont think that it always has to be somewhere you dont live thats worthwhile. You can find great stuff in your own city. I mean it can be a great experience if you have never been to the place.
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #630
~MELVINDONESIA~
INDONESIA

Likes (Received): 26

I think BALI (KUTA) is the most beautiful City in the World!
~MELVINDONESIA~ no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #631
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2413

Quote:

I saw a movie about the bothers Grimm once and I could swear it was filmed here.
beautiful pics!!!

however, i love sao paulo better..
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #632
gonzo

Quote:
I dont agree wit your statement. Just give you my honest opinion. Im live in new york and im learning more things and finding more great places and things to do everyday. So i dont think that it always has to be somewhere you dont live thats worthwhile. You can find great stuff in your own city. I mean it can be a great experience if you have never been to the place.
I didn't say anything in NYC wasn't worthwhile. I just said a city like London is more worthwhile for people who already live in the world's tallest skyscraper cities.
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #633
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

paris
london
new york

IMO
skyscraper100 no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #634
~MELVINDONESIA~
INDONESIA

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:

Waw!!!
Wonderful pics!

But,I think sunset in Bali is wonderful too,isn't it?

It's Kuta Beach...
~MELVINDONESIA~ no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #635
gonzo

Very beautiful!! I don't see the city though!
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #636
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
beautiful pics!!!

however, i love sao paulo better..
But the reason cannot be "beauty" of the city in this case rather than other factos,...
Even Rothenburg being more beautiful I prefer Frankfurt and Hamburg also!
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #637
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Boring grid pattern. This so called boring grid pattern makes NYC one of the most walkable city in the world and it works out for us fine. Do you think curves going in all directions make for an easy straight commute. You could easily be lost if you were a tourist.
Most walkable in the world?? Most walkable in America maybe. In Europe walkable actually means walkable i.e. pedestrian streets, public squares. Two things New York laggs behind in.

As far as grid patterns go, yes theyīre quite boring. All streets look the same, just with different types of buildings. And you know cities arenīt designed for tourists.

Quote:
19/20 century buildings is not a type of style.
No but almost all of NYC was built in these centuries. That means the city can never be as architecturaly diverse as London. Itīs just a fact. History speaks for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
And 200 years ago it wasnt a village. In 1810 it had 96,373.
It was a village compared to London which had almost 1 million people at the time.

Quote:
The fact that they had roman/medieval is not based upon the city itself but on the fact of the roman empire taking control of great britain. The US is only 400 years old. We made are own style.
Not based on the city itself wtf? You had the brits taking control of America. Itīs the same thing ffs! London is home to a medieval castle, and a bunch of medieval cathedrals and other buildings. And although American cities have their own style itīs very similar to British architecture. That is just one of the many things the Brits exported to America.

Quote:
Also that last comment was so unnecessary and what was the point if i missed. I was just saying that how can you get confused.
The point is that weīre not talking about street furniture here. If those lampposts are the only thing that gives it away then NYC seems to be quite similar to Milwaukee.

Quote:
Each city has there own signature style layout. Different building styles in NYC include brownstone rowhouses, townhouses, and shabby tenements, Garden apartments, Gothic, Post Modern, Art Deco, Modern, Post WW, High rise, skyscraper, supertall, Flat iron, etc
Indeed. Youīll find many great buildings in NYC. Itīs just that they were all built during these past centuries. London is 5 times older than NYC. Hence there are much more different styles in London than in NYC.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #638
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Most walkable in the world?? Most walkable in America maybe. In Europe walkable actually means walkable i.e. pedestrian streets, public squares. Two things New York laggs behind in.

As far as grid patterns go, yes theyīre quite boring. All streets look the same, just with different types of buildings. And you know cities arenīt designed for tourists.

No but almost all of NYC was built in these centuries. That means the city can never be as architecturaly diverse as London. Itīs just a fact. History speaks for itself.

It was a village compared to London which had almost 1 million people at the time.

Not based on the city itself wtf? You had the brits taking control of America. Itīs the same thing ffs! London is home to a medieval castle, and a bunch of medieval cathedrals and other buildings. And although American cities have their own style itīs very similar to British architecture. That is just one of the many things the Brits exported to America.

The point is that weīre not talking about street furniture here. If those lampposts are the only thing that gives it away then NYC seems to be quite similar to Milwaukee.

Indeed. Youīll find many great buildings in NYC. Itīs just that they were all built during these past centuries. London is 5 times older than NYC. Hence there are much more different styles in London than in NYC.

I agree with you entirely. Whilst I acknowledge New York as one of the best cities in the world I personally found it a little underwhelming when I visited it, skyscrapers are interesting for a day but after I got over the wow factor I thought the city was not in the same league as London or Paris.
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #639
CityPolice

Quote:
Please we dont lack in public areas. ok. Like i said before you live in neither. Thats why we are becoming more greener than london with the biggest plan to become green than any other city in the world.

Quote:
uh you say boring but have you look at the difference between geography. What else type of streets could we have. Can you get a map and show me because it seems easy for london to have non grid pattern when most of the city is not separated by water.
NYC

Quote:
Not to say much but show the majority architecture of london.

Quote:
Yet it grew faster, Denser, and bigger than London.

Quote:
Its not the same the brits didnt take over America for as long as the Romans.

Quote:
Im not talking about that either. I didnt say anything about street furniture. Trust me there is such a big difference.

Quote:
At least architecture is better in NY.
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #640
CityPolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
I agree with you entirely. Whilst I acknowledge New York as one of the best cities in the world I personally found it a little underwhelming when I visited it, skyscrapers are interesting for a day but after I got over the wow factor I thought the city was not in the same league as London or Paris.
Sounds like your typical tourist who doesnt look far behind midtown or not even in the middle of midtown. Tourist like that always say that when they go to NYC it is just a bunch of skyscrapers. I at their ignorance. Not to call you one but you sound like one. I could post alot of pictures of great buildings but im not going to do that.

Closed Thread