daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #641
jayhawker
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
I agree with you entirely. Whilst I acknowledge New York as one of the best cities in the world I personally found it a little underwhelming when I visited it, skyscrapers are interesting for a day but after I got over the wow factor I thought the city was not in the same league as London or Paris.

Thankfully there are many many millions of people who disagree with you completely--including thousands of French and British expats. Thank you for the absolutely worthless comment. Please carry on with your worthless comments in another thread.
jayhawker no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #642
Blackpool88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 720
Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker View Post
Thankfully there are many many millions of people who disagree with you completely--including thousands of French and British expats. Thank you for the absolutely worthless comment. Please carry on with your worthless comments in another thread.
if only mine were as worthwhile as yours eh!!


My point was that New York is more instantly breathtaking then Paris and London but that these two cities' history and culture put them ahead of New York in my eyes. And I happen to think them both more beautiful which is what this thread is about.
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #643
Blackpool88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 720
Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Sounds like your typical tourist who doesnt look far behind midtown or not even in the middle of midtown. Tourist like that always say that when they go to NYC it is just a bunch of skyscrapers. I at their ignorance. Not to call you one but you sound like one. I could post alot of pictures of great buildings but im not going to do that.
Nah, I've worded it to come across as being rude for which I apologise. I meant to say that I think New York's skyline is much better then any european city but skyline apart I rank Paris and London marginally more interesting and beautiful, I'm ranking New york in third place, that's not something to get angry about!
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #644
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
Nah, I've worded it to come across as being rude for which I apologise. I meant to say that I think New York's skyline is much better then any european city but skyline apart I rank Paris and London marginally more interesting and beautiful, I'm ranking New york in third place, that's not something to get angry about!
sorry i came at you
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #645
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,375
Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Please we dont lack in public areas. ok. Like i said before you live in neither. Thats why we are becoming more greener than london with the biggest plan to become green than any other city in the world.
After reading your reply I must say you are really ignorant. Your signature really says it all.

NYC lacks public places. You donīt have loads of large pedestrianised squares and walking streets in NYC. Just admit it. As far as greenery goes, big cities never win in this category. Both NYC and London have amazing parks, how could you possibly compare "which is greener". What a childish attitude.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
uh you say boring but have you look at the difference between geography. What else type of streets could we have. Can you get a map and show me because it seems easy for london to have non grid pattern when most of the city is not separated by water.
NYC
Again, youīre talking about matters you donīt know shit about. What the hell does water has to do with it?? NYC could easily have a more London-like street plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Not to say much but show the majority architecture of london.
Look Iīm not going to spam the page with pics like you did, there are several threads about London on ssc.

Here are a few:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=691558

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=402835

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=585702

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=441879

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=201842


Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Yet it grew faster, Denser, and bigger than London.
And this is relevant because..?

If we look at the city population NYC overtook London as late as 1970. And that happened only because London population went down because of the war. If we look at city pop statistics the cities are about the same size.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Its not the same the brits didnt take over America for as long as the Romans.
How is this relevant? Britain was a completely different "country" back then whereas the US was pretty much built by the British.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
At least architecture is better in NY.


Donīt embarrass yourself. Learn some history, do some research and then if you still donīt get it you should be concerned.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #646
MDguy
Registered User
 
MDguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,682

stop the arguing its meaning less. A Snobby european and the overly proud american dont mix AT ALL. please just stop you fighting

BTW, its Very ignorant being proud of where you are from isnt it. You are just so right on that one
MDguy no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #647
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing
 
Jack Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,877
Likes (Received): 476

Prague in my opinion is one of the world's most beautiful cities.

image hosted on flickr

By Photo Bob# Flickr

image hosted on flickr

By S. Lo flickr

image hosted on flickr

By foto franz flickr

image hosted on flickr

By Wicho flickr

image hosted on flickr


Vratsab flickr
__________________
President Eisenhower
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

Last edited by Jack Daniel; December 13th, 2008 at 06:09 AM.
Jack Daniel no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #648
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Alabama, China
Posts: 1,197
Likes (Received): 6



I think if Prague were the size of Paris it would be widely recognized as having the worlds most beautiful architecture. It has accents of colour which Paris lacks.
__________________
^ What he said.
gonzo no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #649
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
stop the arguing its meaning less. A Snobby european and the overly proud american dont mix AT ALL. please just stop you fighting

BTW, its Very ignorant being proud of where you are from isnt it. You are just so right on that one
Its not that type of pride. Its the pride that you came from a great country even though it has its flaws you were born here. Im not overly proud. You dont even know me. My signature is bragging rights, LOL .
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #650
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Alabama, China
Posts: 1,197
Likes (Received): 6

^ So, what other countries have bragging rights?
__________________
^ What he said.
gonzo no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #651
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
After reading your reply I must say you are really ignorant. Your signature really says it all.
If you really think that would you be debating against me.

Quote:
NYC lacks public places. You donīt have loads of large pedestrianised squares and walking streets in NYC. Just admit it. As far as greenery goes, big cities never win in this category. Both NYC and London have amazing parks, how could you possibly compare "which is greener". What a childish attitude.
I said green as in environmentally challenged. http://www.nyc.gov/html/planyc2030/html/home/home.shtml Shows how much you know but if you want to talk about greenery no city is perfect but NYC puts more plants on its streets because of residential demand. It was also part of making NYC greener http://www.milliontreesnyc.org/html/home/home.shtml
Also we are putting alot of pedestrian zones, we even closed down lanes in some streets for permanent. Also NYC is has become a more bike friendly place
http://www.nycbikemaps.com/




Quote:
Again, youīre talking about matters you donīt know shit about. What the hell does water has to do with it?? NYC could easily have a more London-like street plan.
Water has to do with the small area. If you put curved roads in manhattan like london it would be an awkward experience. I can drive across manhattan from west to east in a couple of minutes. Why have Curved Roads fos an island where its widest point is only 2 miles and its nearly 13 miles long. Like i said show me how that could be and then i cant say anything. Also i dont know how many times ive mentioned this but i live in NYC I know how its like. Like i said i dont see why street grid is such a big issue its not messing up the city.



I know the fact that you want to post websites of photos of your city but to be honest any modern architecture photo looks pretty lame. Anyway since you want post websites im going to do the same.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=180769
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=96092
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=152847
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=750346
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=34300
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=732386
http://www.skyscraperlife.com/city-a...hs/index4.html
http://www.skyscraperlife.com/city-a...hs/index3.html
http://www.skyscraperlife.com/city-a...hs/index2.html
http://www.skyscraperlife.com/15-cit...e-photographs/



Quote:
And this is relevant because..?

If we look at the city population NYC overtook London as late as 1970. And that happened only because London population went down because of the war. If we look at city pop statistics the cities are about the same size.
Do you pay attention. Didnt i say it beats London's population in 1925. Another thing the US government would never let a war be fought over here or attacked with the best army in the world. Again this is not pride its fact.




Quote:
How is this relevant? Britain was a completely different "country" back then whereas the US was pretty much built by the British.
right and the pilgrims are not considered americans even though they started this country. Im not going to argue with you on the history of my own country and you dont even live here.



Quote:


Donīt embarrass yourself. Learn some history, do some research and then if you still donīt get it you should be concerned.
Im sorry were you talking to me because you live nowhere. Lets be serious NYC is better city than london completely. It ranked higher in the global cities ranking and i could name alot of stuff about my city that makes it better than london but i dont feel like it right now. Even John Lennon loved NY. Now i know what you are going to say after looking at this chart but thats not keeping NY from being at the top.
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"

Last edited by CityPolice; December 13th, 2008 at 08:25 AM.
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #652
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!
 
Skyline_FFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Here in the middle of nowhere
Posts: 3,388
Likes (Received): 110

That Global Cities' ranking is crap anyway! They mix up cities and metropolitan region!
__________________
Ziss Iss Mei Sicknetscha
Skyline_FFM no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #653
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

What political engagement does New York have?
_00_deathscar no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #654
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,757
Likes (Received): 10983

New York may not be a capital city of a nation, but every nation on earth has a consulate in New York if they can afford to operate one. New York is the most important city in the most powerful nation on earth, and a nexus of global political engagement. The United Nations is in New York. That trumped all national capitals accept Washington. There's a strong argument for New York being #2 in the 'political engagement' category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
That Global Cities' ranking is crap anyway! They mix up cities and metropolitan region!
What page of the study does it allude to that? When analyzing methodology and criteria, the study seemed quite thorough, solid, and intelligent. It's important to question research, but I just don't see your criticism being valid. I'm open to changing my mind about that study, but would you elaborate further and make a good case for what you are asserting.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 13th, 2008 at 02:58 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #655
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..
 
craperskys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southside.
Posts: 273
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
That Global Cities' ranking is crap anyway! They mix up cities and metropolitan region!
second that big time,not to mention that i miss the "quality of life" and "modern infrastructure" criteria in this ranking (such as many other logical criterias).

btw - information exchange as a world wide criteria? who the heck made this ranking?


other than that i have also photoshop, im able to create also "the ultra true mega real ranking chart", so what?
craperskys no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #656
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,757
Likes (Received): 10983

You obviously haven't taken the time to read that study and what information it is conveying. Quality of life and modern infrastructure are important, but pale in comparison to the importance of information exchange. Without information exchange, the rest can not follow.

You must have missed that part of the study when you read it, and must have been sick during those months studying geo politics and economics at university. Who made this study you ask? Some of the brightest and leading minds from academia, that's who. Try going head to head with any one of them regarding the relevance of this criteria. You'll get obliterated. I'd put money on it.

This is no place for criticisms of that study, however. 3 most beautiful cities?

Prague
Quebec City
Venice
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 13th, 2008 at 03:35 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #657
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..
 
craperskys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southside.
Posts: 273
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Quality of life and modern infrastructure are important, but pale in comparison to the importance of information exchange. Without information exchange, the rest can not follow.
versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
3 most beautiful cities?

sorry mate but your argument is just a bit over the top and illogical, information exchange has primary nothing to do with a beauty of a city, and surprise guess what? its an integral part of a city-infrastructure in general, and if you compare now the title of the topic and your argumentation (where information exchange is a obviously a pirmary attribute of a beautyful city for you ), then it has to be criticised as well.

there are many rankings out there, just check google (for example rankings from newsweek, focus or anholt-gmi city brands index etc).

they are all not 100% without fail, but compared with the criterias from the ranking chart in post #651, they are the holy grail of city rankings.
craperskys no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #658
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,757
Likes (Received): 10983

Quote:
Originally Posted by craperskys View Post
sorry mate but your argument is just a bit over the top and illogical, information exchange has primary nothing to do with a beauty of a city, and surprise guess what? its an integral part of a city-infrastructure in general, and if you compare now the title of the topic and your argumentation (where information exchange is a obviously a pirmary attribute of a beautyful city for you ), then it has to be criticised as well.

there are many rankings out there, just check google (for example rankings from newsweek, focus or anholt-gmi city brands index etc).

they are all not 100% without fail, but compared with the criterias from the ranking chart in post #651, they are the holy grail of city rankings.

Who said information exchange had anything to do with a beauty of a city? Not me. Information exchange has relevance to the city ranking in that study. You argued that it was less important than quality of life in a study ranking powerful cities. It isn't a quality of life study. It's a power ranking. If you had read the study, you'd know that.

Then I started a new paragraph, which in grammar, represents a new or different idea. I was attempting to get the thread back on topic. 3 most beautiful cities in the world, remember? I have no idea why you think I am comparing beauty with a power ranking when I've clearly articulated that I was returning to the topic at hand, and the thread title. The only explanation is that you don't know what paragraphs are for and my statement "This is no place for criticisms of that study, however. 3 most beautiful cities?" is inexplicably confusing to you. That was written in plain English using easy to understand words.

How can you possibly enter a discussion if you don't know what the purpose of a paragraph is? Of course you're not going to understand what is written if you don't know that a separate idea is being introduced rather than a continuation of the same argument. Paragraphs aren't there just to make the page look pretty. Grammar is important in effective communication for a reason.

It's a pointless exercise when people read a ranking then start arguing that they have little value because they didn't include some criteria that wasn't the purpose of the study in the first place. The study isn't about beauty. Did you even read it? Obviously not. It's many many pages long explaining in great detail the purpose of the study, why they used the criteria they did, and what the definition of that criteria is.

By the way, 'argumentation' is not a word, and there is no 'y' in beautiful. And where have I stated that the study is the holy grail of city rankings? NO WHERE!!!! All I've done is respond to arguments you've made that have little relevance to a study that wasn't attempting to classify the things you're putting forward.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 13th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #659
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,375
Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
I said green as in environmentally challenged. http://www.nyc.gov/html/planyc2030/html/home/home.shtml Shows how much you know but if you want to talk about greenery no city is perfect but NYC puts more plants on its streets because of residential demand. It was also part of making NYC greener http://www.milliontreesnyc.org/html/home/home.shtml
Also we are putting alot of pedestrian zones, we even closed down lanes in some streets for permanent. Also NYC is has become a more bike friendly place
http://www.nycbikemaps.com/
Great for NYC, youīre doing the right thing. Still NYC is not what most people would call a "green city".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Water has to do with the small area. If you put curved roads in manhattan like london it would be an awkward experience. I can drive across manhattan from west to east in a couple of minutes. Why have Curved Roads fos an island where its widest point is only 2 miles and its nearly 13 miles long. Like i said show me how that could be and then i cant say anything. Also i dont know how many times ive mentioned this but i live in NYC I know how its like. Like i said i dont see why street grid is such a big issue its not messing up the city.
No it wouldnīt. There are a few curved road in lower Manhattan. They look fine to me, nothing akward about it.

Youīve made it quite clear that you live in NYC. Youīre one of those city people who donīt set their foot outside their city and therefore think itīs the centre of the universe. Laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Another thing the US government would never let a war be fought over here or attacked with the best army in the world. Again this is not pride its fact.
You really embarrass your fellow countrymen on these boards with those kinds of comments. Itīs not like the British had any choice but to fight the Germans. Americans have never seen a real war and therefore lack any kind of experience of this. The Atlantic ocean saved you from the German warmachine.

The US has the largest army in the world (so far) but is neglecting its people, something I would never like to see in Europe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
right and the pilgrims are not considered americans even though they started this country.
Back then there was nothing called "Americans". The American identity developed over a long period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Im not going to argue with you on the history of my own country
No you shouldnīt. Iīm a student of history and you only get to learn "American history" over there,so you should really keep your historic theories to yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
you dont even live here.

For once you got something right



Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Im sorry were you talking to me because you live nowhere.
No ignorance not to mention arrogance here what so ever!

Iīm quite happy with where I live. I can enjoy the highest standard of living in the world


Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Lets be serious NYC is better city than london completely. It ranked higher in the global cities ranking and i could name alot of stuff about my city that makes it better than london but i dont feel like it right now.
Sigh. NYC doesnīt rank higher than London at all. London is the financial capital of the world. It has much more banks than NYC and a larger and cleaner subway network. One could also argue that London is the sports capital of the world, and her music scene is large and diverse.

I donīt want to start a pissing contest, just wanted to point out a few things to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice
Even John Lennon loved NY.
Who cares what John Lennon thought of NYC. There are hundrets of celebritys living in London and that was the case even before NYC existed.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #660
Matthieu
Administrateur
 
Matthieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tarbes, the capital of the world
Posts: 15,279
Likes (Received): 5695

I'm surprised cities like St Petersbourg or Budapest don't get more votes.

My totaly and utterly Eurocentric top 3:
1. Paris
2. Saint Petersbourg
3. Budapest
__________________
"To erect a tall building is to proclaim one’s faith in the future, the skyline is a seismograph of optimism."
Jean Nouvel
Matthieu no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium