daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #661
~MELVINDONESIA~
INDONESIA
 
~MELVINDONESIA~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bandung
Posts: 1,253
Likes (Received): 26



Go JAKARTA Go....!
~MELVINDONESIA~ no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #662
skyscraper100
>:
 
skyscraper100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manila
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 32

paris

__________________
Possibilities are Endless
Visit my 3d Designs thread: ~skyscraper100 designs
[CENTER]
skyscraper100 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #663
skyscraper100
>:
 
skyscraper100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manila
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 32

london


__________________
Possibilities are Endless
Visit my 3d Designs thread: ~skyscraper100 designs
[CENTER]
skyscraper100 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #664
skyscraper100
>:
 
skyscraper100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manila
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 32

nyc
__________________
Possibilities are Endless
Visit my 3d Designs thread: ~skyscraper100 designs
[CENTER]
skyscraper100 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #665
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,757
Likes (Received): 10983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
I'm surprised cities like St Petersbourg or Budapest don't get more votes.

My totaly and utterly Eurocentric top 3:
1. Paris
2. Saint Petersbourg
3. Budapest
I was somewhat surprised as well. There are arguably a great number of cities that could make a top 3 list since beauty is subjective. St. Petersburg is definitely a very beautiful city.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #666
Blackpool88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 720
Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper100 View Post
london
This is a beautiful image but has it been photoshopped or are we looking at a mirror image of it because it would appear that the city is further west of the cathedral in this image, the opposite of how it is in reality.


And to CityPolice, don't start a pissing contest between London and New York because that is probably the most debatable issue on these forums and one of the biggest reasons for threads being closed!
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #667
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Great for NYC, you´re doing the right thing. Still NYC is not what most people would call a "green city".
what ever.



Quote:
No it wouldn´t. There are a few curved road in lower Manhattan. They look fine to me, nothing akward about it.
My poin excatly lower manhattan is small area and there is only a few but not most noticeable. If the whole island was covered in curved streets(think about it for a sec) it would have no purpose.

Quote:
You´ve made it quite clear that you live in NYC. You´re one of those city people who don´t set their foot outside their city and therefore think it´s the centre of the universe. Laughable.
Again with these assumptions. Ive been to london with a friend ive been to both across the east coast and across the west coast of my country and canada. Im not the only one who thinks this when millions of people around the world think nYC is the greatest. I dont think it i know it.


Quote:
You really embarrass your fellow countrymen on these boards with those kinds of comments. It´s not like the British had any choice but to fight the Germans. Americans have never seen a real war and therefore lack any kind of experience of this. The Atlantic ocean saved you from the German warmachine.
Im not going to argue about which army is better. Everyone knows which one is better.

Quote:
The US has the largest army in the world (so far) but is neglecting its people, something I would never like to see in Europe.
Obama '08-'12


Quote:
Back then there was nothing called "Americans". The American identity developed over a long period of time.
that does not make them non americans they just didnt know what to be called



Quote:
No you shouldn´t. I´m a student of history and you only get to learn "American history" over there,so you should really keep your historic theories to yourself.
I went to a private school all my life. We learned American and World History. Private schools in NY are the best in the country.




Quote:
For once you got something right





Quote:
No ignorance not to mention arrogance here what so ever!

I´m quite happy with where I live. I can enjoy the highest standard of living in the world
Now thats complete arrogance right there. NYC has some of the cleanest running water in the world. I dont know how you are living over there but over is just fine.


Quote:
Sigh. NYC doesn´t rank higher than London at all. London is the financial capital of the world. It has much more banks than NYC and a larger and cleaner subway network. One could also argue that London is the sports capital of the world, and her music scene is large and diverse.
NYC is the financial capital. London might be the capital if this crisis gets any worse but if obama bailout the nation we will be permanently (for years) be the capital of finance again.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081206/...treet_era_ends
Larger by couple of miles but you dont have enough subway stations to say that its easy to access. London has 270 NY has 468 and growing. And no it cant be the sports capital when most of its sports are american. Which that means we pwn you in that because who does better in our sports than us and i did some research and ny has more sports. And i know you dont want to start music with me. Especially the US is the capital of the Music World. We have people playing music across our streets from different cultures. We created more soul music. (We are the iPod city ) We have hundreds of music venues across the city. And is home to large music studios. Also Largest Media capital in the world. From newspapers to movies from street performances to broadway theatre. Fashion Capital.

Quote:
I don´t want to start a pissing contest, just wanted to point out a few things to you.


Quote:
Who cares what John Lennon thought of NYC. There are hundrets of celebritys living in London and that was the case even before NYC existed.
If you are going to state london and nyc When the beatles are one of the greatest artist in the world. Yeah there are hundreds more successful celebrities living in NYC and predominantly LA due to it being a large media capital. Not in london. Since as i stated before the US is the Media Capital of the World.

Anyway i stated this before 3 most beautiful cities.
NYC
Paris
Rome
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"

Last edited by CityPolice; December 13th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #668
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..
 
craperskys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southside.
Posts: 273
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I was attempting to get the thread back on topic. 3 most beautiful cities in the world, remember?
and i reckoned that i disagree with the ranking and i also explained why, remember?

have a nice
craperskys no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #669
doctico
doctico
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose
Posts: 7
Likes (Received): 0

New York Paris Buenos aires
doctico no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #670
Blackpool88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 720
Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post

I went to a private school all my life. We learned American and World History. Private schools in NY are the best in the country.
What a waste of money...


You strike me as having an incredibly narrow world view both culturally and historically.


You're taking this thread off topic and making a damn fool of yourself and embarrassing your countrymen. Just move on.
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #671
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
What a waste of money...


You strike me as having an incredibly narrow world view both culturally and historically.


You're taking this thread off topic and making a damn fool of yourself and embarrassing your countrymen. Just move on.
How am I doing that when everything I said is true. Please dont provoke me. I'm not in the mood for debating against anybody. You can't even show how Im making a fool of myself and embarrassing. I'm not taking this thread off topic I'm only trying defend my city while others insult me.
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"

Last edited by CityPolice; December 13th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #672
Federicoft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 12,651
Likes (Received): 4382

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Water has to do with the small area. If you put curved roads in manhattan like london it would be an awkward experience. I can drive across manhattan from west to east in a couple of minutes. Why have Curved Roads fos an island where its widest point is only 2 miles and its nearly 13 miles long. Like i said show me how that could be and then i cant say anything.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Streets in London (or in any other city with centuries-old history, for that matter) are not curved because it's cool or someone decided to build them like that. Those cities gradually developed over centuries and their streets reflect their history.
Federicoft no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #673
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
This is a beautiful image but has it been photoshopped or are we looking at a mirror image of it because it would appear that the city is further west of the cathedral in this image, the opposite of how it is in reality.


And to CityPolice, don't start a pissing contest between London and New York because that is probably the most debatable issue on these forums and one of the biggest reasons for threads being closed!
Stop blaming it on me I didn't start this I only defended my city
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #674
Matthieu
Administrateur
 
Matthieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tarbes, the capital of the world
Posts: 15,279
Likes (Received): 5695

CityCop and Suomipoika, could you please take your NY vs London stuffs elsewhere?:

1. We all know Tarbes eats them all
2. That's a thread on beautiful cities not the one which the highest amount of (bankrupt) banks!
__________________
"To erect a tall building is to proclaim one’s faith in the future, the skyline is a seismograph of optimism."
Jean Nouvel
Matthieu no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #675
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,375
Likes (Received): 914

You´re right. You cannot really argue with a person who´s view of the world is completely and utterly wrong and distorted. Let´s end it.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #676
Igor007
Registered User
 
Igor007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 50
Likes (Received): 7

No Bias Here. Just Fact

1. Kyiv, Ukraine
2. St. Petersburg, Russia
3. Moscow, Russia
__________________

Igor007 está en línea ahora  
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #677
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post

1. We all know Tarbes eats them all
Tarbes aka the ugliest town in southweastern France.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #678
Mauz®
Utonto
 
Mauz®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milano
Posts: 9,814
Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
No guilty conscience but you posted after the fact that i did post alot of pictures. No i know how to use the word and you emphasized respect for others then how can you tell me that when you insulted me in the same post.
I insulted an hypothetic (I don't know if I wrote it right) subject... I never wrote your name!

Initially I decided to wrote it because of some people posting a lot of images in the first pages of this thread (by example a user posted about 200+ photos of NY)... I hadn't yet seen the last page of this thread! Then, when I clicked on the "Reply" link, my pc became totally unmanageable, because the page containg the reply form automatically displays also the newest posts, and one of them was YOURS and was full of high-definition photos of (again) NY!

So, don't tell me that my post was directly addressed to you... It had a general meaning!
It would be false not to say that it was addressed to you TOO, It was, but not as directly as you think, because I was going to write it the same and the fact that few posts before mine there was yours it's a pure coincidence.

Moreover... I think that you, before writing that post, had read at least the few 2-3 pages of this thread. So you should have seen at least two people that had posted a lot of photos and the effect that it probably made on your computer. And even if your computer was a high-performance one you should have read many people complaining about posting a lot of photos. So, if you know that this kind of behaviour causes problems to other users, WHY do you acted this way the same? THIS is the key!
Mauz® no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #679
marp
Registered User
 
marp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fuentes de Andalucía
Posts: 1,858
Likes (Received): 114

sevilla/seville (spain)




































marp no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #680
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauz® View Post
I insulted an hypothetic (I don't know if I wrote it right) subject... I never wrote your name!

Initially I decided to wrote it because of some people posting a lot of images in the first pages of this thread (by example a user posted about 200+ photos of NY)... I hadn't yet seen the last page of this thread! Then, when I clicked on the "Reply" link, my pc became totally unmanageable, because the page containg the reply form automatically displays also the newest posts, and one of them was YOURS and was full of high-definition photos of (again) NY!

So, don't tell me that my post was directly addressed to you... It had a general meaning!
It would be false not to say that it was addressed to you TOO, It was, but not as directly as you think, because I was going to write it the same and the fact that few posts before mine there was yours it's a pure coincidence.

Moreover... I think that you, before writing that post, had read at least the few 2-3 pages of this thread. So you should have seen at least two people that had posted a lot of photos and the effect that it probably made on your computer. And even if your computer was a high-performance one you should have read many people complaining about posting a lot of photos. So, if you know that this kind of behaviour causes problems to other users, WHY do you acted this way the same? THIS is the key!
Got to agree with this.

CityPolice - NYC is a beautiful city, but we don't need 50+ images of it. If I wanted to see 50+ images of NYC, I'd go to the NYC forum, or to an NYC specific thread.
_00_deathscar no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium